The Tactile Response Thread for BASS :)) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 143Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 133 Old 08-03-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
agree about the need for multiple axes, ach-01 makes it easy to run long cables though and takes interface bandwidth out of the equation which is definitely a pain with the mpu6050.

that bluetooth equipped one looks interesting, this is the equivalent of what I was suggested the pi zero w for but smaller, lighter and more plug n play (if it works). All you'd need is a power supply (i.e. a battery and some cables). I was thinking of rewriting the vibe app to simplify it anyway so perhaps that would be a good way to add support for this sort of device at the same time.

https://mbientlab.com/metamotionc/ looks like the non DIY version, $70 per sensor and those sensors are small, light and have built in battery power. It also has an apparently friendly api on top.
metamotionc.....now that looks intriguing! Especially the multiple sensor capability and .csv output with timestamp for alignment

The sensor itself looks like a great size, weight and form factor. I use beeswax for fastening to the measurement object. Looks like beeswax would work well with these also with the outer plastic housing....great find!
trhought is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 133 Old 08-04-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,558
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Good point Shelby.....yeah, I think you and Nalleh would benefit a lot from dood's system and being able to measure the TR of each of your devices to see how they're combining. It was certainly an eye opener for me when I started measuring independent TR devices all time aligned on one plot....that was how I discovered platform bending was the biggest enemy of natural feeling single digit TR because the drivers started working against each other. There's no way I could have made that discovery with VS especially with the single digit responses that needed to be measured and the limitation of only measuring one driver at a time.

I think we've all found using REW for optimizing room response has netted additional SPL and highlighted holes in our system response that we didn't know about until we started using REW (and MSO). Same with TR, but even more so from a timing error perspective since TR is much more sensitive to timing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
completely agree with @trhought re the need for higher resolution measurements, it's why I wrote that app in the first place I remember drawing the analogy with RS SPL meters, back in the day these were the only way to go but then at some point, accurate mics became commonplace and everyone could enjoy better bass! VS is a bit like that imv.

another option which is not that expensive but is more involved is based on https://www.audioxpress.com/assets/u...elerometer.pdf I have one of these also & verified that my rpi device measured accurately by reference to this device (using an ach-01 accelerometer).

If anyone reading has the knowledge of how to build such a circuit then that would be a really useful thing to know as then you could really kit out your seating with lots of sensors I imagine the rpi4 would help with this also (more data to process in realtime so faster cpu helps).
Here's another option for a relatively inexpensive accelerometer package from Vernier Software and Technology. It looks like you at least need the following components to get some measurements going. The price for all components is only $249.
When I called Vernier a couple of years ago, they said their products were intended for educational institutions, and wanted assurances that I wasn't buying their equipment for commercial reasons. They indicated they would sell to hobbyists, but I'm not sure how they would react if they started getting a lot of 'hobbyists' orders all at once.

EDIT: I've never made TR measurements before, but instead of measuring each TR device separately to get its relative delay, would it be possible to apply an impulse stimulus to all TR devices simultaneously, and then tune the delay of each device to get the sharpest (narrowest) TR measurement? Maybe you start with the first two devices, get them tuned together, and then add other devices one at a time while tuning its delay to match the previously tuned devices. Just a thought.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK, Faith is being OK no matter how things turn out".

Last edited by darrellh44; 08-04-2019 at 09:30 PM.
darrellh44 is offline  
post #33 of 133 Old 08-04-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 9,722
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
I emailed Vernier and invited them to the party. We'll see if they want to play.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 133 Old 08-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Can you guys provide me some opinions about if the crowson might be a more interesting upgrade vs 2nd sub in my set? I use the PB 4000 right now and by measuring I can see it is still powerful below 20hz at MLP, during movies the tactile feeling overall is great anyway. The problem is the best overall position I can find for that makes a pretty strong dip around 60hz, I am trying to identify if a second sub could solve that but maybe just wastes money or cant even notice a big change from fixing it anyway. So if I can learn to ignore the dip I could buy the crowson instead, but is it very useful? Would I xover on 20hz? Is there any practical job to do at ultra low frequency? Will any movies play that low anyway?

For now I already paired a small buttkicker with headphones for personal enjoyment and setting output on the buttkicker from miniDSP it can mix very well in that situation, really smooth and you won't even expect the buttkicker to be there. But seems like buttkicker+headphones and crowson+pb4000 is really different situations, so what do you guys think about that?
gmmW8P8Adz is offline  
post #35 of 133 Old 08-04-2019, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3ll3d00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,872
Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2320 Post(s)
Liked: 2457
Re calibration, there was a lot of discussion in one of the older threads (either the VS one or the other one). An impulse (infinite energy at t=0 so contains content from DC to infinity, approximated in audio terms using something like a log swept tone) doesn't really make sense in this context as the device responds over a limited frequency range and can only be measured using bandwidth limited measurement devices. This leads to the use of white noise with a bandwidth to match your measurement capability (to avoid aliasing).

As an aside, I am still not sure why people find the rpi solution so offputting. It is cheap, can provide high resolution measurements (higher than all these other devices) with little effort and leaves you with a useful computer you can use for other purposes (particularly if you get the rpi4, or is extremely cheap if you go the rpi0 route). An rpi is really not a hard thing to setup, easier than windows i also plan to turn that into a desktop app with an rta view which should make it a bit easier to pick up and use.
SBuger and trhought like this.

Last edited by 3ll3d00d; 08-05-2019 at 01:25 AM.
3ll3d00d is offline  
post #36 of 133 Old 08-05-2019, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 9,722
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
Because someone like me sees something like this:



and decides it's a project a little above his pay grade.
For the time being, at least. If nothing better comes along, I may reconsider.

I have been known to bite off more than I can chew once or twice before.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #37 of 133 Old 08-05-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 9,722
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
Okay, you twisted my arm. I'm in.
Since I have an SD card and power supply (actually, several of both) and the cables (if I can find them), investing about $30. I've wasted more on a bad meal. I'm sure I'll enjoy this more.
Thanks for the push.
I think.
Michael
SBuger, trhought and 3ll3d00d like this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #38 of 133 Old 08-05-2019, 09:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
3ll3d00d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,872
Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2320 Post(s)
Liked: 2457
That's the spirit
trhought likes this.
3ll3d00d is offline  
post #39 of 133 Old 08-05-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,127
Mentioned: 183 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 8963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Great thread. I look forward to reading what comes out of it. If you don't have TR you don't know what you're missing. It changes the game completely, I don't know what I would do without my Crowsons.
Move your IPAL's directly behind your seat and Crowson's what?
basshead81 is offline  
post #40 of 133 Old 08-05-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gpmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,996
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 258
@SBuger what did you prefer about the JBLs in the BOSS compared to the SI 18s cantilevered? I would have thought there would be a significant gain in ULF with the 18s.
gpmbc is offline  
post #41 of 133 Old 08-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Member
 
MinnesotaGreg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Fox Valley Area - WI
Posts: 160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Killer thread fellas!

For a carpeted concrete floor theater does anyone know if TR can be improved by placing seating on a one or two inch tall wood platform? I'm thinking of trying this for my first row seating but not sure if this low height does anything. My second row at 16" high definitely makes a difference.

Edit: I'm referring to setup with subwoofer only, no transducers.

Sony HW45ES - Seymour Center Stage XD 145" 16:9 - Sony PS3/4 - Sony STR DH810 - (LR) Paradigm Monitor 9v1 - (C) Polk CSI A6 - (SR) Yamaha satellites - JTR 4000ULF
MinnesotaGreg is offline  
post #42 of 133 Old 08-05-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaGreg View Post
Killer thread fellas!

For a carpeted concrete floor theater does anyone know if TR can be improved by placing seating on a one or two inch tall wood platform? I'm thinking of trying this for my first row seating but not sure if this low height does anything. My second row at 16" high definitely makes a difference.

Edit: I'm referring to setup with subwoofer only, no transducers.
Greg....yes, if you build the 2" height front row mini-riser very rigid and support it with rubber underneath, you will definitely increase your TR in the front row similar to what you're feeling in the back row.

If you want to increase your TR exponentially, check out BOSS technology in my signature link below. It has the prescribed rubber to use for a 1.5" high front row mini-riser and how to add drivers to that platform for the ultimate in natural feeling and commanding TR.

You can even add subs to your back row riser and add the rubber below it to retrofit it with BOSS technology.

Post 29 in my thread has the guidelines for both a 1.5" mini-riser and a full size riser.

I'm using both types in our theater. Other AVS members are doing the same....read the first post in the BOSS thread for a few testimonials from other AVS members who have tried a BOSS or two in their setups.
trhought is offline  
post #43 of 133 Old 08-05-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmW8P8Adz View Post
Can you guys provide me some opinions about if the crowson might be a more interesting upgrade vs 2nd sub in my set? I use the PB 4000 right now and by measuring I can see it is still powerful below 20hz at MLP, during movies the tactile feeling overall is great anyway. The problem is the best overall position I can find for that makes a pretty strong dip around 60hz, I am trying to identify if a second sub could solve that but maybe just wastes money or cant even notice a big change from fixing it anyway. So if I can learn to ignore the dip I could buy the crowson instead, but is it very useful? Would I xover on 20hz? Is there any practical job to do at ultra low frequency? Will any movies play that low anyway?

For now I already paired a small buttkicker with headphones for personal enjoyment and setting output on the buttkicker from miniDSP it can mix very well in that situation, really smooth and you won't even expect the buttkicker to be there. But seems like buttkicker+headphones and crowson+pb4000 is really different situations, so what do you guys think about that?
For the bold above, yes, have you checked out BOSS technology yet?

It's very practical and will only cost about $50-60 dollars per seat plus 80 watts of power. You will feel natural ULF TR from 3Hz to 40Hz and even higher depending where you set your LPF.

The best thing about BOSS, if you also want to fill in that 60Hz hole with a second sub, the full size BOSS riser can be built as a semi-sealed sub and you will get some SPL from it in addition to the 3Hz to 40HZ TR.

For your second question in bold, absolutely....single digit ULF TR is where the magic is for movies. Some movies are "bass filtered", meaning the single digit ULF TR is filtered out during blu-ray authoring but there's a way to restore that single digit ULF TR for home viewing, called Bass EQ (BEQ).

Info on BOSS technology is in my signature below.

Info on restoring ULF TR for movies is located in the BEQ thread, hyperlinked here.
trhought is offline  
post #44 of 133 Old 08-05-2019, 06:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
For the bold above, yes, have you checked out BOSS technology yet?

It's very practical and will only cost about $50-60 dollars per seat plus 80 watts of power. You will feel natural ULF TR from 3Hz to 40Hz and even higher depending where you set your LPF.

The best thing about BOSS, if you also want to fill in that 60Hz hole with a second sub, the full size BOSS riser can be built as a semi-sealed sub and you will get some SPL from it in addition to the 3Hz to 40HZ TR.

For your second question in bold, absolutely....single digit ULF TR is where the magic is for movies. Some movies are "bass filtered", meaning the single digit ULF TR is filtered out during blu-ray authoring but there's a way to restore that single digit ULF TR for home viewing, called Bass EQ (BEQ).

Info on BOSS technology is in my signature below.

Info on restoring ULF TR for movies is located in the BEQ thread, hyperlinked here.
Yes I am very interested in BOSS technology, for small cost in money AND power if I used the BOSS technology in place of the crowson I can still consider to add another SVS AS WELL. The pitfall is restoring ULF TR if it is missing. I did see the BEQ thread but to do that I will have to give away atmos and as well it seems like so many movies lost the ULF. So anyway if I did not restore it I will not enjoy BOSS technology or the crowson?
gmmW8P8Adz is offline  
post #45 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 3774
^^^ For sure, adding the Crowson’s or BOSS will still help you enjoy bass in movies more (if you like TR and realism), even if you don’t restore the ULF with BEQ that was filtered on most movies. If you don’t BEQ/restore, you’ll just be missing out on a lot of 20hz and below content, sometimes even below 30hz. They’ll still make a big difference in FEEL for your system though. I enjoyed Crowsons (and other components) long before I started BEQing. BEQ just allows them to be used in their full range potential. And if you like ULF TR and the lower LF, then you’ll be in for a treat for most ALL movies.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo UDP-203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #46 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 3774
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
@SBuger what did you prefer about the JBLs in the BOSS compared to the SI 18s cantilevered? I would have thought there would be a significant gain in ULF with the 18s.
Good questions! I did like the 18’s cantilevered for the most part, I just liked the feel of the JBLs mounted underneath me better, with or without isolators. I think the main reason for this was that I could localize where it was coming from a little bit from the cantilevered mounted 18’s. Also, even though the 18’s seriously brought the TR deep into ULF territory (verified with VS), I just didn’t feel it as strongly as the JBLs underneath me. And the actual feel itself was different as well.

Part of this may have been the design of the platform for the 18’s, but was about as rigid as it gets, which is recommended for the BOSS to be optimal. IDK, I just liked the feel better under me vs cantilevered. BUT, this just may be system specific (room, seating etc), as Nalleh runs cantilevered BOSS (he tried 18’s as well) and likes the feel better with it cantilevered, so ……

As far as the 18’s having a significant gain in ULF over the JBLs, surprisingly not really. Well, at least with the BOSS more in a ‘SubRiser’ (mostly/quasi sealed) config with the carpet and pad on the floor acting as the bottom of the cab with no isolators under it. I got way more ULF under 15 to 20hz running it this way compared to iso’s under it. It also just feels better to me this way too, feeling a little snappier an punchier, while eliminating that sometimes ‘fluttery/bouncy’ feel in that above 20hz area, just making it more realistic feeling to me. Again, could just be a preference and or room variable/gear thing.

BUT, I will say that the 18’s could bring the ULF TR super easy and with massive excursion ( I pulled my SI DS4-18’s from their cabs to try them). I suspect that I would like them more than the JBL 12’s, or should say, they would be more ULF TR capable than the JBLs 12’s if mounted the same way in the riser that the JBLs are in underneath me. The problem is, the 18’s just need SO much space, as they are huge!! If I used them in the 6” riser I’m running now with the JBL 12’s, it would have to be 12” or higher at least to accommodate the 18’s. Way too high for me in this room. So, the JBLs are the win for me Always pros and cons in this game it seems.

I hope all that made sense.

So, there is that for mainly the subjective, so here is a little something for the objective as well for a visual to go along with it from a VibSensor reading I took on both of them. Both gave killer ULF TR.

The "6 JBL 12’s only with no isolators'" are on the (LEFT ) and the 3 SI DS4-18’s with isolators cantilevered on the (RIGHT). Both around ref bass levels with 0-50 White Noise and easily pegged the Z axis LIMIT. Never mind the falloff under 10hz, as this just happens with VS using the phone and 5lb bag of rice for weight. Maybe d00d’s RPI devise or what they come up with in the future will overcome this shortcoming. That’d be cool! One thing the cantilevered design does do is bring in more (Y axis) forward to back movement.




Anyway, great stuff guys, keep it coming! Maybe this thread will have some interest after all , as I was a bit unsure, but hopeful, when creating the thread.
Nalleh likes this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo UDP-203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 08-06-2019 at 08:26 AM.
SBuger is offline  
post #47 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,236
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked: 2243
Well well well, the TR King has spoken. Great thread/posts as usual @SBuger . Waiting for the other TR king's post @Nalleh
Nalleh likes this.
tvuong is offline  
post #48 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 3774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Well well well, the TR King has spoken. Great thread/posts as usual @SBuger . Waiting for the other TR king's post @Nalleh
Thanks for the kind words my friend Tony, very nice of you to say!!

LOL on the TR King, I still always laugh when I hear that. I think Nalleh wears the crown now and is the true king, but I may still be a close runner up Either way, I think we’ve both pushed our systems TR to the extreme. We’ve helped, pushed, and supported each in great ways and has helped a lot in getting us to where we are now. Plus, it’s been super fun too and think we both get a ton of enjoyment out of our systems, as do we all!

Also, your now TR King status too with that awesome BOSS you built!! Really, that’s one of the best looking and best performing BOSS’s I’ve seen. AWESOME!! Post some pics of that Beauty if you want!!
Nalleh likes this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo UDP-203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #49 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,236
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked: 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Really, that’s one of the best looking and best performing BOSS’s I’ve seen. AWESOME!! Post some pics of that Beauty if you want!!
Thanks Shelby, that means a lot to me as that was my very first build for the love of audio . Honestly, I wouldn't have built that BOSS without your enthusiastic posts about TR. For anyone interests, my BOSS pictures and write ups are linked on page 29 of the Boss thread (linked here on the first post.).

IMO, no VNF sub can replace the BOSS, especially down low in the teen to the single digit Hz range. What impresses me the most is the ability to have strong TR at -20MV and softer volume. I had decent TR with my subs alone but I had to crank to -10MV and much louder with hotter bass to feel it, not any more with BOSS that not only I am able to protect my ears but also get more TR - to me that is very important.
SBuger, trhought and Hopinater like this.
tvuong is offline  
post #50 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 3774
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Thanks Shelby, that means a lot to me as that was my very first build for the love of audio . Honestly, I wouldn't have built that BOSS without your enthusiastic posts about TR. For anyone interests, my BOSS pictures and write ups are linked on page 29 of the Boss thread (linked here on the first post.).

IMO, no VNF sub can replace the BOSS, especially down low in the teen to the single digit Hz range. What impresses me the most is the ability to have strong TR at -20MV and softer volume. I had decent TR with my subs alone but I had to crank to -10MV and much louder with hotter bass to feel it, not any more with BOSS that not only I am able to protect my ears but also get more TR - to me that is very important.
Cool, and glad to hear that some of my posts (maybe even overly enthusiastic posts sometimes …I do tend to get VERY excited about this stuff LOL) helped inspire/pursued you into building the BOSS.

I totally agree about the lower listening levels while still getting to experience amazing TR, while saving our ears!!! Can’t beat that and still makes watching movies at these lower level’s super fun. In fact, I watch most of my movies later at night at about -20mv like you mention (and sometimes even for demo instead of -12.5 to -10mv). TR is still pretty nuts feeling at this MV and connects you in an amazing way that would not be possible otherwise. Just another reason to love TR and have a capable system
trhought and darrellh44 like this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo UDP-203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #51 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmW8P8Adz View Post
Yes I am very interested in BOSS technology, for small cost in money AND power if I used the BOSS technology in place of the crowson I can still consider to add another SVS AS WELL. The pitfall is restoring ULF TR if it is missing. I did see the BEQ thread but to do that I will have to give away atmos and as well it seems like so many movies lost the ULF. So anyway if I did not restore it I will not enjoy BOSS technology or the crowson?
gmmW8P8Adz.....For BEQ, you won't lose the Atmos metadata if using the prescribed miniDSP HD as Pio recommends in his first post. When using the mini, it is placed after your AVR so all Atmos information is already processed.

The only time Atmos info is lost is when BEQ remuxing....which very few BEQ'ers do because of the nuances of understanding your signal chain and BM processing in your AVR. There's benefitis of BEQ remuxing material before the AVR but like every approach there's tradeoffs....the tradeoff with BEQ remux is no Atmos. So, if you prefer straight Atmos rather than 3D upmixers, the miniDSP will be perfect for restoring that single digit ULF TR which is where the magic is when watching movies and you'll still get the straight Atmos metadata as you desire.

The BOSS will reproduce that restored single digit ULF TR very naturally and with authority.
trhought is offline  
post #52 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,362
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2729 Post(s)
Liked: 3299
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Thanks Shelby, that means a lot to me as that was my very first build for the love of audio . Honestly, I wouldn't have built that BOSS without your enthusiastic posts about TR. For anyone interests, my BOSS pictures and write ups are linked on page 29 of the Boss thread (linked here on the first post.).

IMO, no VNF sub can replace the BOSS, especially down low in the teen to the single digit Hz range. What impresses me the most is the ability to have strong TR at -20MV and softer volume. I had decent TR with my subs alone but I had to crank to -10MV and much louder with hotter bass to feel it, not any more with BOSS that not only I am able to protect my ears but also get more TR - to me that is very important.
Shelby has got me thinking about adding Butt kickers to the BOSS...

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is offline  
post #53 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,344
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Move your IPAL's directly behind your seat and Crowson's what?
While moving the sub very nearfield will increase TR it still couldn't keep up with the crowsons in the teens and single digits. Its good he has both!

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is offline  
post #54 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
^^^ For sure, adding the Crowson’s or BOSS will still help you enjoy bass in movies more (if you like TR and realism), even if you don’t restore the ULF with BEQ that was filtered on most movies. If you don’t BEQ/restore, you’ll just be missing out on a lot of 20hz and below content, sometimes even below 30hz. They’ll still make a big difference in FEEL for your system though. I enjoyed Crowsons (and other components) long before I started BEQing. BEQ just allows them to be used in their full range potential. And if you like ULF TR and the lower LF, then you’ll be in for a treat for most ALL movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
gmmW8P8Adz.....For BEQ, you won't lose the Atmos metadata if using the prescribed miniDSP HD as Pio recommends in his first post. When using the mini, it is placed after your AVR so all Atmos information is already processed.

The only time Atmos info is lost is when BEQ remuxing....which very few BEQ'ers do because of the nuances of understanding your signal chain and BM processing in your AVR. There's benefitis of BEQ remuxing material before the AVR but like every approach there's tradeoffs....the tradeoff with BEQ remux is no Atmos. So, if you prefer straight Atmos rather than 3D upmixers, the miniDSP will be perfect for restoring that single digit ULF TR which is where the magic is when watching movies and you'll still get the straight Atmos metadata as you desire.

The BOSS will reproduce that restored single digit ULF TR very naturally and with authority.
Thank You for the advice, my plan will be to use BOSS technology for natural quality, from setting the buttkicker I found the best is not making it really crazy and just have the right level to mix fairly with other equipment, this is what I enjoy the most, to do that I used miniDSP for fine tuning. Because I am not in USA it is not so cheap to build, but anyway it will only cost 30% of the crowson so worth it to try. Just have some questions

MiniDSP HD.. I only got normal MiniDSP, is it fine to use this?, I saw maybe it has a problem for ULF?? Because for this project below 20hz will most important for natural mixing

Amplifier.. If I did not enjoy BOSS technology (or maybe WAF not enjoy), can it still be useful for the crowson? I am looking at NX3000, lot cheaper then crowson amplifier
gmmW8P8Adz is offline  
post #55 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gpmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,996
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Good questions! I did like the 18’s cantilevered for the most part, I just liked the feel of the JBLs mounted underneath me better, with or without isolators. I think the main reason for this was that I could localize where it was coming from a little bit from the cantilevered mounted 18’s. Also, even though the 18’s seriously brought the TR deep into ULF territory (verified with VS), I just didn’t feel it as strongly as the JBLs underneath me. And the actual feel itself was different as well.

Part of this may have been the design of the platform for the 18’s, but was about as rigid as it gets, which is recommended for the BOSS to be optimal. IDK, I just liked the feel better under me vs cantilevered. BUT, this just may be system specific (room, seating etc), as Nalleh runs cantilevered BOSS (he tried 18’s as well) and likes the feel better with it cantilevered, so ……

As far as the 18’s having a significant gain in ULF over the JBLs, surprisingly not really. Well, at least with the BOSS more in a ‘SubRiser’ (mostly/quasi sealed) config with the carpet and pad on the floor acting as the bottom of the cab with no isolators under it. I got way more ULF under 15 to 20hz running it this way compared to iso’s under it. It also just feels better to me this way too, feeling a little snappier an punchier, while eliminating that sometimes ‘fluttery/bouncy’ feel in that above 20hz area, just making it more realistic feeling to me. Again, could just be a preference and or room variable/gear thing.

BUT, I will say that the 18’s could bring the ULF TR super easy and with massive excursion ( I pulled my SI DS4-18’s from their cabs to try them). I suspect that I would like them more than the JBL 12’s, or should say, they would be more ULF TR capable than the JBLs 12’s if mounted the same way in the riser that the JBLs are in underneath me. The problem is, the 18’s just need SO much space, as they are huge!! If I used them in the 6” riser I’m running now with the JBL 12’s, it would have to be 12” or higher at least to accommodate the 18’s. Way too high for me in this room. So, the JBLs are the win for me Always pros and cons in this game it seems.

I hope all that made sense.

So, there is that for mainly the subjective, so here is a little something for the objective as well for a visual to go along with it from a VibSensor reading I took on both of them. Both gave killer ULF TR.

The "6 JBL 12’s only with no isolators'" are on the (LEFT ) and the 3 SI DS4-18’s with isolators cantilevered on the (RIGHT). Both around ref bass levels with 0-50 White Noise and easily pegged the Z axis LIMIT. Never mind the falloff under 10hz, as this just happens with VS using the phone and 5lb bag of rice for weight. Maybe d00d’s RPI devise or what they come up with in the future will overcome this shortcoming. That’d be cool! One thing the cantilevered design does do is bring in more (Y axis) forward to back movement.




Anyway, great stuff guys, keep it coming! Maybe this thread will have some interest after all , as I was a bit unsure, but hopeful, when creating the thread.
Thanks for the in depth response, makes sense. 😎
gpmbc is offline  
post #56 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmmW8P8Adz View Post
Thank You for the advice, my plan will be to use BOSS technology for natural quality, from setting the buttkicker I found the best is not making it really crazy and just have the right level to mix fairly with other equipment, this is what I enjoy the most, to do that I used miniDSP for fine tuning. Because I am not in USA it is not so cheap to build, but anyway it will only cost 30% of the crowson so worth it to try. Just have some questions

MiniDSP HD.. I only got normal MiniDSP, is it fine to use this?, I saw maybe it has a problem for ULF?? Because for this project below 20hz will most important for natural mixing

Amplifier.. If I did not enjoy BOSS technology (or maybe WAF not enjoy), can it still be useful for the crowson? I am looking at NX3000, lot cheaper then crowson amplifier
gmm....you'll find the BOSS will feel very natural and blend with your current setup without having to do anything special like you had to do with your buttkickers. That's one of it's key features. Just read Post 29 in the BOSS thread linked right here to get the design guidelines and if you have any questions, just post over there and they will get answered by the large community of BOSS builders.

Regarding the mini vs. miniDSP, all your questions are answered towards the end of Post 3 in the BEQ thread.....that hyperlink is here

You can use the mini but it does have some limitations that aren't that big of a deal if you want to get into BEQ with what you have.....namely, most BEQ's have 7-8 EQ channels while the mini only has 6 channels, so you may have to combine some of them to get the same effect...i.e. if the BEQ calls for a 2 LS filters of 5dB, those can be combined into one LS filter of 10dB to reduce the number of EQ channels to fit onto the mini. There's some other differences but the mini is being used successfully for BEQ today. Only you can decide if it's worth the upgrade to the HD.

Regarding the power amplifier, the 3000 will be plenty for a 3-4 driver BOSS platform. The Crowson's will need a lot more than the 3000 if you plan to have more than one since they have to physically lift the seats once the seating weight exceeds their internal springs. I recently experienced Crowson's and found the effect not very natural regardless of the power range...we tried it towards the low power setting and also the highest power setting. That's just a personal preference though....some members don't like how Crowson's feel, while others love them.

On the other hand, I have yet to hear of anyone who has a BOSS who said it doesn't feel natural by itself...quite the opposite, they rave about the natural and commanding ULF TR. As said earlier, some who have tried a BOSS by itself have ended up selling their Crowson's and/or VNF's.
trhought is offline  
post #57 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 9,722
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked: 2023
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
You can use the mini but it does have some limitations that aren't that big of a deal if you want to get into BEQ with what you have.....namely, most BEQ's have 7-8 EQ channels while the mini only has 6 channels, so you may have to combine some of them to get the same effect.
You can also loopback out1 to in2 and use both channels of eq for one output. That's what I do.
And I only see 5 eq settings per channel.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #58 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,211
Mentioned: 340 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1196 Post(s)
Liked: 3774
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
gmm....you'll find the BOSS will feel very natural and blend with your current setup without having to do anything special like you had to do with your buttkickers. That's one of it's key features. Just read Post 29 in the BOSS thread linked right here to get the design guidelines and if you have any questions, just post over there and they will get answered by the large community of BOSS builders.

Regarding the mini vs. miniDSP, all your questions are answered towards the end of Post 3 in the BEQ thread.....that hyperlink is here

You can use the mini but it does have some limitations that aren't that big of a deal if you want to get into BEQ with what you have.....namely, most BEQ's have 7-8 EQ channels while the mini only has 6 channels, so you may have to combine some of them to get the same effect...i.e. if the BEQ calls for a 2 LS filters of 5dB, those can be combined into one LS filter of 10dB to reduce the number of EQ channels to fit onto the mini. There's some other differences but the mini is being used successfully for BEQ today. Only you can decide if it's worth the upgrade to the HD.

Regarding the power amplifier, the 3000 will be plenty for a 3-4 driver BOSS platform. The Crowson's will need a lot more than the 3000 if you plan to have more than one since they have to physically lift the seats once the seating weight exceeds their internal springs. I recently experienced Crowson's and found the effect not very natural regardless of the power range...we tried it towards the low power setting and also the highest power setting. That's just a personal preference though....some members don't like how Crowson's feel, while others love them.

On the other hand, I have yet to hear of anyone who has a BOSS who said it doesn't feel natural by itself...quite the opposite, they rave about the natural and commanding ULF TR. As said earlier, some who have tried a BOSS by itself have ended up selling their Crowson's and/or VNF's.
Im really starting to wonder about you now Tim, or the system you experienced them on
Nalleh likes this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo UDP-203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #59 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,302
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Im really starting to wonder about you now Tim, or the system you experienced them on
Yeah...that was a sample of one watching a scene I'm very familiar with (War of the Worlds - Pods Emerge) and I wasn't sure what to expect. It felt mechanical to me, so I asked him to reduce the power and it was the same feeling still just to a lesser extent. I tried different seats on the couch and was left with the same overall impression. Hard to describe but I would have loved to have played around with them more but didn't want to be overbearing like I can be sometimes He hasn't experienced a BOSS yet, so hopefully that will happen in the near future.....about a 2.5 hour drive.
trhought is offline  
post #60 of 133 Old 08-06-2019, 10:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
gmm....you'll find the BOSS will feel very natural and blend with your current setup without having to do anything special like you had to do with your buttkickers. That's one of it's key features. Just read Post 29 in the BOSS thread linked right here to get the design guidelines and if you have any questions, just post over there and they will get answered by the large community of BOSS builders.

Regarding the mini vs. miniDSP, all your questions are answered towards the end of Post 3 in the BEQ thread.....that hyperlink is here

You can use the mini but it does have some limitations that aren't that big of a deal if you want to get into BEQ with what you have.....namely, most BEQ's have 7-8 EQ channels while the mini only has 6 channels, so you may have to combine some of them to get the same effect...i.e. if the BEQ calls for a 2 LS filters of 5dB, those can be combined into one LS filter of 10dB to reduce the number of EQ channels to fit onto the mini. There's some other differences but the mini is being used successfully for BEQ today. Only you can decide if it's worth the upgrade to the HD.

Regarding the power amplifier, the 3000 will be plenty for a 3-4 driver BOSS platform. The Crowson's will need a lot more than the 3000 if you plan to have more than one since they have to physically lift the seats once the seating weight exceeds their internal springs. I recently experienced Crowson's and found the effect not very natural regardless of the power range...we tried it towards the low power setting and also the highest power setting. That's just a personal preference though....some members don't like how Crowson's feel, while others love them.

On the other hand, I have yet to hear of anyone who has a BOSS who said it doesn't feel natural by itself...quite the opposite, they rave about the natural and commanding ULF TR. As said earlier, some who have tried a BOSS by itself have ended up selling their Crowson's and/or VNF's.
Thank You for posting those links. For me MLP is really a heavy couch, so the crowson might have to work so hard under all of the weight, it starts to seem like BOSS technology will be the only TR system worth it to try so I will focus on it. I will join the BOSS builders thread to choose the best equipment for the experiment.
trhought likes this.
gmmW8P8Adz is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off