The Tactile Response Thread for BASS :)) - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2137Likes

post #571 of 1585 Old 12-22-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 447 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked: 5036
Quote:
Originally Posted by dltnjarrel View Post
Quick question, the wife and I went to see Star Wars last night in a Dolby Completely Captivating theater and the seats have some sort of bass shakers. Does anyone know what they use? I bought 4 - JBL 12" subs to use as a boss riser in the new house. Will I get a similar tactile feel? I'll be using 4 - 18s, 2 near field and 2 far, as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Not sure what kind of shakers they use. Depending on how well they have it setup and how much you liked the experience, once you get everything dialed in a home with the gear you're going to use, I can pretty much guarantee it will at least be as good, but probably WAY better at home, at least for the Bass and TR part of it
dltnjarrel and Kevnmin like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | HoverBOSS w/6x JBL-12s | Sealed BossBack w/ 1x JBL-12 | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 1585 Old 12-22-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Not sure what kind of shakers they use. Depending on how well they have it setup and how much you liked the experience, once you get everything dialed in a home with the gear you're going to use, I can pretty much guarantee it will at least be as good, but probably WAY better at home, at least for the Bass and TR part of it
It seemed like the shakers were crossed rather low. It was a really cool experience

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
SBuger likes this.
post #573 of 1585 Old 12-23-2019, 05:03 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 47
anybody know if I can wire 3 transducers in series to give me a 12ohm load? I don't really need 4 and I was going to put two on the middle beam of a couch and one on the back support beam.
Im using a standard sub plate amp rated for 4 ohm I imagine. 12ohm should be fine then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #574 of 1585 Old 12-23-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1910 Post(s)
Liked: 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
anybody know if I can wire 3 transducers in series to give me a 12ohm load? I don't really need 4 and I was going to put two on the middle beam of a couch and one on the back support beam.
Im using a standard sub plate amp rated for 4 ohm I imagine. 12ohm should be fine then?

Yes, that will be fine. Obviously, the amp will put out less power.
post #575 of 1585 Old 12-23-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Yes, that will be fine. Obviously, the amp will put out less power.
Sounds good. The plate amp is rated at 100rms and I have it only 25% for a single transducer(Dayton 50rms). At 12 ohm I’m assuming it will cut down that 100Rms pretty low?
post #576 of 1585 Old 12-23-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Sounds good. The plate amp is rated at 100rms and I have it only 25% for a single transducer(Dayton 50rms). At 12 ohm I’m assuming it will cut down that 100Rms pretty low?
Depends on the amp. If your amp is rated for 100W @ 4ohm, running it with a 12 ohm load could cut its output down to 25W (for some switching mode amps). Or if it's a different kind of amp, it could still be close to 100W even with the 12 ohm load.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
post #577 of 1585 Old 12-24-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellh44 View Post
Depends on the amp. If your amp is rated for 100W @ 4ohm, running it with a 12 ohm load could cut its output down to 25W (for some switching mode amps). Or if it's a different kind of amp, it could still be close to 100W even with the 12 ohm load.
Its just a Mirage OMNI S8 https://www.crutchfield.com/S-NvCGaK...e-OMNI-S8.html
I don't know too much about it but the sub im pretty sure is rated at 4ohm. Im ok with 25-35 watts per each I have two on that amp now and I keep it at 8-9 o'clock closer to 1/4 level maybe
post #578 of 1585 Old 12-24-2019, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 119
When you get this result on your mlp when running DIRAC when your sub is vnf. Isn't better to not let DIRAC correct your sub???

post #579 of 1585 Old 12-24-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ I’d let Dirac correct it as much as it can. Depending on what your other subs look like in combo with the VNF, may determine just how much Dirac will do on it.

I’ve never used Dirac and only familiar with Audyssey XT32 but it’ll probably try to correct the overall response (all subs as one) in a similar way (meaning flat as possible across the board with the least amount of peaks and valleys). Peaks can always be brought down, but valleys can only be lifted so much depending on how deep and bad they are.

My VNF's FR doesn’t look the best either and has peaks and valleys. What I do is manually bring down the peaks (like your peak at 30hz for example) to where they need to be, as well as the peaks from other sub locations, while usually leaving the valleys/nulls, getting the best combined response of all subs together the best I can with timing and all that. Then, let Audy put the finishing touches on it. I do all mine on one Subout from the AVR with a miniDSP and works really well this way. You could probably do something similar with Dirac, or maybe just let it take care of it all.

One thing I can say for sure though, you’ll most definitely want that massive peak at 30hz out of there if it’s still far above the other frequencies when combined with your other subs.

You’ll lose feel/TR/Shake from the VNF in that area when you cut the peak on it, but will sound right and not too boomy and overbearing in this area.

I find that I like the VNF’s mainly for feel (they dont really give a big full sound like FF subs do), but if they are too peaky in areas, they can still sound too overbearing and boomy. You’ll still get feel/TR from them in those valley’s or null areas, at least down lower in the LF and ULF frequencies, you just wont hear it near as much or at all depending on how deep the valley is or if it’s a null.

Example: I’ve got a big valley/null in the 30-35hz area on my VNFs, but they still really bring the TR/shake in this area, just can’t be heard very well. This is where the other sub locations come in to help fill in the FR in this area for sound and overall good FR. I think in a lot of rooms, it takes multiple locations for great TR and FR for feel and sound across the board for “subs only” (i.e. VNFs + FF’s (possibly in multiple locations depending on your room)).

Hope that made sense and helps somewhat.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | HoverBOSS w/6x JBL-12s | Sealed BossBack w/ 1x JBL-12 | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #580 of 1585 Old 12-24-2019, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
^^^ I’d let Dirac correct it as much as it can. Depending on what your other subs look like in combo with the VNF, may determine just how much Dirac will do on it.

I’ve never used Dirac and only familiar with Audyssey XT32 but it’ll probably try to correct the overall response (all subs as one) in a similar way (meaning flat as possible across the board with the least amount of peaks and valleys). Peaks can always be brought down, but valleys can only be lifted so much depending on how deep and bad they are.

My VNF's FR doesn’t look the best either and has peaks and valleys. What I do is manually bring down the peaks (like your peak at 30hz for example) to where they need to be, as well as the peaks from other sub locations, while usually leaving the valleys/nulls, getting the best combined response of all subs together the best I can with timing and all that. Then, let Audy put the finishing touches on it. I do all mine on one Subout from the AVR with a miniDSP and works really well this way. You could probably do something similar with Dirac, or maybe just let it take care of it all.

One thing I can say for sure though, you’ll most definitely want that massive peak at 30hz out of there if it’s still far above the other frequencies when combined with your other subs.

You’ll lose feel/TR/Shake from the VNF in that area when you cut the peak on it, but will sound right and not too boomy and overbearing in this area.

I find that I like the VNF’s mainly for feel (they dont really give a big full sound like FF subs do), but if they are too peaky in areas, they can still sound too overbearing and boomy. You’ll still get feel/TR from them in those valley’s or null areas, at least down lower in the LF and ULF frequencies, you just wont hear it near as much or at all depending on how deep the valley is or if it’s a null.

Example: I’ve got a big valley/null in the 30-35hz area on my VNFs, but they still really bring the TR/shake in this area, just can’t be heard very well. This is where the other sub locations come in to help fill in the FR in this area for sound and overall good FR. I think in a lot of rooms, it takes multiple locations for great TR and FR for feel and sound across the board for “subs only” (i.e. VNFs + FF’s (possibly in multiple locations depending on your room)).

Hope that made sense and helps somewhat.
Thank you for your detailed response.

I only have 1 sub and a BOSS, I just did the experiment by not letting DIRAC correct the sub and wow better then I let DIRAC correct it, as what I did in the past. Also the BOSS preforms better because of the non correction. Just dove in the BEQ goodness today! Christmas came early!
post #581 of 1585 Old 12-24-2019, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ No prob.

Oh yeah if you have a BOSS and you let Dirac pull that big 30hz peak down and other areas on your sub, it’ll pull that area down out of the BOSS’s TR too, and why a lot of us take measures in preventing or reversing Room Correction for our TR devices. All this stuff is definitely not plug and play, even with room correction when TR devices are in the equation.

Right on man, BEQ will bring out the best in all these movies

post #582 of 1585 Old 12-25-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarteli View Post
When you get this result on your mlp when running DIRAC when your sub is vnf. Isn't better to not let DIRAC correct your sub???

that's just the rear sub facing the couch? Have you tried any other spots? My sub next to the couch had similar dip in the 40+ range So im just running the sub behind the couch cut off at 40hz. The rest of the subs play higher and it evens out the response to be pretty flat.
post #583 of 1585 Old 12-25-2019, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
Well, I found another rabbit hole that is just asking for some more money! :-) Currently I have Dayton Aura Pro transducers in my 7 seats and love the response I get from those. But now after seeing all you guys are doing, I'm realizing those are toys! I think I "need" to start looking at building a BOSS platform for each of my seats. Question I have, after looking at the Hideaway Theater thread, with individual seats like I have, what would be the best way to do it? Would I want to try and make one large platform for each row, or just focus on building a mini platform for each seat individually? Or is it really trial and error?

Here's my space and seats for reference. Thanks for the great ideas!!

which transducers do you like more? the aura or the Daytons? Seems like what im seeing online is the aura's play much lower. Just tested my Daytons and they don't do much till around 28-30hz playing a tone to them. What I've been seeing online is auras play to 15hz.
post #584 of 1585 Old 12-25-2019, 06:36 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
which transducers do you like more? the aura or the Daytons? Seems like what im seeing online is the aura's play much lower. Just tested my Daytons and they don't do much till around 28-30hz playing a tone to them. What I've been seeing online is auras play to 15hz.
I think I mistyped when I stated my setup. I have the Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, one per seat. I've not tried the Daytons. I don't think I get down to 15Hz with the ones I have. Specs state 20-80Hz and that is definitely where they play. I have them mounted in the lower back of my chairs, where Palliser has designed for their own bass transducers to go. In that location, they do a great job in my seats. Now with the BOSS platforms in place, I get a lot of tactile feel and love it! I highly recommend the Aura's and if you're not sure, for $50, just try one and see if they do what you want.

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater
post #585 of 1585 Old 12-26-2019, 10:42 PM

Does anybody have the aura pro’s and the Daytons on the same amp? Not sure if I should use two different brand transducers. I know the daytons don’t play as low as the aura’s but might have an advantage in the 30-40hz range.
post #586 of 1585 Old 12-26-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
I think I mistyped when I stated my setup. I have the Aura AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shakers, one per seat. I've not tried the Daytons. I don't think I get down to 15Hz with the ones I have. Specs state 20-80Hz and that is definitely where they play. I have them mounted in the lower back of my chairs, where Palliser has designed for their own bass transducers to go. In that location, they do a great job in my seats. Now with the BOSS platforms in place, I get a lot of tactile feel and love it! I highly recommend the Aura's and if you're not sure, for $50, just try one and see if they do what you want.
I ordered a few. The daytons I have seem to be active too much for my liking. I’d rather have a stronger 20-30hz range than higher. Thinking about using both but worried about one canceling out the other in the way they shake.
post #587 of 1585 Old 12-28-2019, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 169
If anyone is interested, here is a quick video of the cantilevered hovercraft boss in action showing some heavy single digit content

SBuger and Nalleh like this.
post #588 of 1585 Old 12-28-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ @Magly - Nice!!! Thanks for posting the vid, looks like you’ve got some great wobbles going on there Feel free to post pics, impressions or whatever of that awesome hovercraft TR beast you've got going on

TIH and that whole scene in that area you just played has some of the most brutal ULF ever, and not just in the singles!!! I’m so familiar with that passage you recorded, as I spent like two days or so demoing and watching that movie last week LOL.

I used to use TIH all the time for demo, but I hadn’t really played it after all the recent TR additions and tweaks. I was quickly reminded just how insane and even terrifying the ULF and overall TR can be in TIH. I don’t know that it can be beat in the quantity and way it’s used in that entire ending battle scene, starting with when Norton falls into the concrete from the fall. Demo material at its absolute best ...the fall when he hits ...when hulk punches up through the concrete ..the foot steps, the mid air collision and flying though the air, when Hulk lands and bounces, then stands up and falls back, when he smashes the cop car in half and gets the doors, and of course THAT famous punch that goes super low ... JUST SICK ULF!!!!
Nalleh and Magly like this.

post #589 of 1585 Old 12-28-2019, 10:10 AM

@SBuger

Thanks, I posted about it a while ago in the hideaway theater thread with pictures and stuff
SBuger likes this.
post #590 of 1585 Old 12-28-2019, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magly View Post
@SBuger

Thanks, I posted about it a while ago in the hideaway theater thread with pictures and stuff
Cool, I saw some of it over there (I think maybe in Nalleh’s thread too) but just wanted to say feel free to post anything you want related to TR like maybe how “Mind Blowing” it feels hahahahha , pics, etc.

All things TR are welcome here!!! I’m not biased either, I seem to love ALL ways of getting TR!!!! Doesn’t matter if it’s any form of BOSS, Subwoofer Riser, Crowsons MAs, Buttkickers, Aura’s, Clarks, VNF subs, etc. I think they all each have their strengths and excel in ways where others may not sometimes. IMO, that is the beauty of the different methods and that there are so many ways these days to put together a killer TR rig that can deliver that “mind blowing” experience

Me and a few others around here just so happen to love and run them all together (well 4-5 of them anyway) , for what we feel is the BEST OF ALL TR WORLDS when combined
Nalleh and Magly like this.

post #591 of 1585 Old 12-28-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 407 Post(s)
Quoted: 2945 Post(s)
Liked: 4122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magly View Post
@SBuger

More pics of the rest of your room and setup would be great
SBuger likes this.

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE Dual TR Sleds- 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - Vertex2 - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #592 of 1585 Old 12-28-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
More pics of the rest of your room and setup would be great
I will do that when I get back home sometime mid next week
SBuger and Nalleh like this.
post #593 of 1585 Old 12-30-2019, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
@SBuger, finally got my copy of X-Men: Dark Phoenix (UHD Atmos) on Saturday. WOW, what a BOSS ride. Right from the car flip then to the shuttle launch, and all those listed above. I only had the subs going in the BOSS, and will let the other subs rip with them next weekend, but the couch was shaking pretty hard with most of this movie. I did watch Overlord, and that starts the beat down right away in the flight scenes. Thanks for the graphs and info for the flicks that you are watching. Seeing you r list above makes me want to visit those again. I did remember a few WTH moments as well watching Jack the Giant Slayer....and how could I forget the Lycan scene in Underworld Awakening!!
SBuger likes this.
post #594 of 1585 Old 12-30-2019, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
@SBuger, finally got my copy of [X-Men: Dark Phoenix (UHD Atmos) on Saturday. WOW, what a BOSS ride. Right from the car flip then to the shuttle launch, and all those listed above. I only had the subs going in the BOSS, and will let the other subs rip with them next weekend, but the couch was shaking pretty hard with most of this movie. I did watch Overlord, and that starts the beat down right away in the flight scenes. Thanks for the graphs and info for the flicks that you are watching. Seeing you r list above makes me want to visit those again. I did remember a few WTH moments as well watching Jack the Giant Slayer....and how could I forget the Lycan scene in Underworld Awakening!!
Awesome, sounds like X-men Dark Phoenix was quite a ride and felt like it should, as well as Overlord!!! Sounds like you’re BOSS is bringing it…NICE!!!

Also, so glad to hear that some of those TS’s, Graphs and info we’ve been trying to put together is useful. They can be a lot of work, but fun as well. I feel that most all the scenes covered are not only great to test a systems TR with and discuss what certain TR scenes and effects feel like, but are just great areas that need to be experienced for the sheer fun of it if one has a capable TR rig

But man, there are just so many that are amazing and need to be covered that it’s almost overwhelming. That list was just getting started LOL. They kept popping onto my head the other day for ones that need to be revisited and experienced. If you ever feel like covering any of your favorites, on or not on that list, go for it.

Yeah that Large Lycan Scene is just beyond insane, as well as a lot of other areas and ending in that movie!!!! Same with Jack the Giant Slayer. Those two movies used to be 2 of my favorite go-to’s for INSANE TR DEMO on my last system (where I used pretty much all the same TR gear I use now) and gave me some of my greatest TR experiences ever. That was before BEQ, BUT I used to run my MAs and BKs through my Oppo player (not my AVR like I do now) and made it super easy to up the intensity on them with the remote. This in combo with the curve I used to use on them made it similar to BEQ now, as I would adjust by feel how much bump it needed. Sometimes I would bump 20-40db worth of difference from movie to movie, which makes sense now seeing how BEQ works and how much boost some of them need down low to bring the goods. Of course, the way I was doing it then with the varying levels for max optimized TR for each movie though the Oppo wasn’t nearly as precise as BEQ is now, and required changing the levels manually for every movie with the remote, but still gave killer TR experiences with most of those movies I listed. Plus, it didn’t engage the subs either, only the BK’s and MAs. Still felt killer though!!!! I had all my movie collection in MKV lossless format and would just put the intensity level setting for the MA’s and BKS (ran as one) into the file name for that movie, making it real fast and easy next time I revisited it to get the same experience.

BEQ takes care of all this now and is super precise with no need for all that fiddling and adjusting that needed to be done with the levels to get the most out of each track. Pretty crazy to think I used to do this and that this thing called BEQ would come along to replace it for the better. @Nalleh – can you believe I used to do this for every movie!!?? LMAO!! This is kind of what I was talking about in @Archaea ’s "fan for wind effect thread" the other day about a general house curve not working for every film (some need less and some need WAY more). I was manually adjusting the level/intensity of it for each film …what a pain in the ass LOL. But it worked once I got it right feeling, or close to right anyway. I think that’s why I always felt movies like “The Avengers: Age of Ultron” etc for example were so insane and deadly feeling, while others thought was out of my mind crazy for saying such a thing hahahaha

Anyway, I’m starting to go off on another TR tangent/ramble again (imagine that lol) , but thought some folks that are into BEQ now may find that interesting In a way I think I had the right idea to get the most/best TR experience from all these movies and worked well, just took some trial and error by feel and not nearly as precise as BEQ.
Nalleh likes this.

post #595 of 1585 Old 12-30-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^Yup, i agree. Before BEQ i used to run a ~30dB house curve and my subs ~10-15 dB hot, HAHAHA.

Those were the days.....
SBuger and lizrussspike like this.

Dual AVR 13.1.8 SWAtmos - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE Dual TR Sleds- 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XB1X - ATV4K - Vertex2 - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
post #596 of 1585 Old 12-30-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked: 2090
Thanks @SBuger, as I remember it was you who got me to run my BK's thru the OPPO, and like you, adjusted thru each movie with the OPPO remote. I have the mini DSP, not the HD version. It does well, but still thinking about getting a Behringer 3000, just in case I get 2 more 12's for the last 2 seats. The Dayton SA-1000 does the job for now, but there is that "what if I had"....Your posts are great and encouraging, as well as the BEQ thread. Innovators and Motivators you all are!!!
SBuger likes this.
post #597 of 1585 Old 12-30-2019, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Thanks @SBuger, as I remember it was you who got me to run my BK's thru the OPPO, and like you, adjusted thru each movie with the OPPO remote. I have the mini DSP, not the HD version. It does well, but still thinking about getting a Behringer 3000, just in case I get 2 more 12's for the last 2 seats. The Dayton SA-1000 does the job for now, but there is that "what if I had"....Your posts are great and encouraging, as well as the BEQ thread. Innovators and Motivators you all are!!!
Cool, and thanks for the good words my friend!! And oh yeah ...once you start down this journey, there is always that "what if" LOL I dont know that the journey ever truly ends or that we ever stop learning, but I think that is part of the fun of it as well. IMO, it really pays off to keep and open mind in this hobby and not be afraid to experiment Sometimes ya just never know what might might take it to the next level of awesome!!!
lizrussspike likes this.

post #598 of 1585 Old 12-30-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 714 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked: 3452
Just stumbled onto this thread a week or so ago, and have now read it all. Ha, and I thought I was done adding new threads to my subscriptions. Great stuff Shelby.

This past weekend I took out my front row risers (I had 2 risers in the front row, one riser for the 2 chairs on the left side and one riser for the 2 chairs on the right side and I had 3 drivers per riser). It has been bugging me that I don't have the same feel in all the seats, there seems to be hot spots and some seats I would feel a little more on one side of the chair than the other etc.

So, I took all that out, added two more drivers, and made separate risers for each chair with 2 drivers each. Everything is much more uniform now. I don't get quite as much feel in the 2 outside chairs compared to the two inside chairs because they are a different model (Costco) but it's an easy solution because I have running the 8 drivers off of a single inuke 3000dsp and I have the 2 middle (non Costco) HT chairs on one channel and the 2 outside chairs on the other channel so I just turn up the gain a couple db's and all seems to be even.

I'm glad it's done, but man I'm tired of tearing up my room and putting it back together again. What's worse is we had people over for the Chiefs game yesterday and I wasn't done so I had to clean up and put everything back and then when everyone left I moved the chairs yet again...

Totally worth it though. The one difference I have is that I am still running a Crowson with my main seat. I took it out initially when I setup the BOSS last spring but that didn't last long, I have been using it since. The combo of the Crowson and BOSS in the lower frequencies is too much fun to sell the Crowson. I did realize this weekend that something is wrong with my 2nd Crowson (haven't used it in a long time). It works but has about half the movement... not sure how that happened.

Oh, I also tweaked some stuff in my back row. I removed 2 of the drivers that were in my riser so that I now have 2 drivers in the riser and 2 in the couch itself. That's where the extra 2 drivers came from that I added to the front row.

I did this because I was running the back row drivers on 2 separate amp channels so that I could turn up the drivers in the couch to match the shaking I was getting from the 4 drivers in the riser. Now that it is 2 drivers in the riser and 2 drivers in the couch the feel it much more even and I can use 1 channel and the end result is that I didn't have to spend any money to make the changes (2 inukes power all 12 JBL drivers plus 1 Crowson). I know I'm under powering the Crowson, but it's pretty good and eventually I'll address that.

Your thread has me thinking about the Buttkicker LFE's. Man... I just don't know if I need it though, it's pretty crazy as is. Sometimes I forget about how much fire power the other subs have. In doing some testing this weekend I ran Hulk while sitting on individual chairs and then was muting on/off different subs/boss/crowson and with just the front subs playing I was surprised at how much feel I got. I think it helps that the seating is now all up on isolators but what I also love about the front subs is how it makes the hair on my head/body move and gives me that "skin is crawling" feeling, plus all that "room pressure" feel. Some of this gets masked with the other stuff so it was fun to experience that again. HOWEVER I am not saying that the feel is ANYWHERE close to the BOSS/Crowson so it didn't last long and I would never go back to just using the up front subs.
SBuger, SuperFist, Nalleh and 1 others like this.
post #599 of 1585 Old 12-30-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ @carp

Thanks Sheldon!! Great post and thanks for joining!! This thread has gotten more action than I thought it would and has been a lot of fun

Sounds like you’ve made some fantastic changes recently, even though it can be a lot of work. I so hear you on tearing up your room and then putting it all back together again. It can get tiring!! I’ve now done that to my room so many times that it’s ridiculous LOL. So, besides being pretty darn satisfied ATM and just enjoying a lot of content, that is part of the reason I’m taking a break for a while (maybe a long while), even though I still have 5-6 things I want to try regarding TR.

About the BK LFE’s and your current setup … Man, I’m sure your system is so insane in such an awesome way with the way you have it now that he BK’s may not even add much, or may even take away/distract from the experience from the way you have it now (did I just say take away?? WTH), depending on how they are setup and integrated. But then again they may, and then there it is again ..when is enough, enough LOL. As I’m sure you’ve read since you went through the whole thread, me and Nallah (a few others too) seem to just love them for that certain somethin’, somthin’ violent feel But, there was a time not too long ago (a little before I started this thread) that I had trouble getting what I wanted out of them in the mix with BOSS or Subriser, and was I totally satisfied (so I thought lol) with SubRiser+MAs+VNF+Other subs combo alone and took the BK’s completely out for a while. I was thrilled, but something would not let it rest and keep them out (probably that Nallah guy nagging me!! Hahaha). So, I got’m back in a with different settings and mountings etc, and they are now bringing what I have always loved so much about them to the mix. They are a different beast and have their quirks, but so amazingly awesome in ways as well. As with a lot of things in this hobby, finding how to bring out the best in something and mitigate the cons is the key. Sometimes just a few simple changes/settings can make all the difference in the world!!

For me, they are a must, probably because I crave a crazy amount of feel, and they can do this so well. So can everything else TR component wise, but like I was saying, the BKs are just a different kind of beast for that certain violent feel if you can get them right in the mix. I do like a TON of feel, so they are gold to me, even with everything else. But that said, I think part of the reason I like so much feel may be because I can’t handle a ton of SPL to help get this feel I crave and has been what’s pushed me down this crazy quest for the ultimate feeling Power House TR. I hardly ever mention it much here on AVS, but I’ve got a super weird/abnormal problem with my ears (other areas too, like some crazy form of fibromyalgia or something) that no doctor has ever been able to diagnose over the years. It’s basically extreme sensitivity to treble, boomy bass and high SPL. If I’m not super careful with taking precautions to this to keeping this in check, my ears can ache for days/weeks. Yeah, I know, that is royally messed up and ridiculous since HT is my absolute favorite hobby in the world. I’m about as stubborn as it gets, so I keep on a truckin and refuse to let it totally stop me lol. I just have to try hard to be smart about it.

So, a long story short, I do my best to keep all that under control to keep pain in check or even better, a non-issue, then bring on the TR feel to help make up for it. Surprisingly, it still feels balanced to me, which is all that really matters at this point I guess and am still able to enjoy the heck out of my system for HT. I’m truly grateful actually, that I’ve found a way to still enjoy this wonderful hobby, even though I’ve got you be pretty conservative in ways. HENSE probably one of the reasons I’m so obsessed with TR to make up for it and feels like I’m getting massive amounts of bass LOL.

So, I do still get a pretty good amount of room pressure from the SPL of subs in a small room and I love it, as well as maybe a little bit of the “skin crawling sensation” you get from your wall of sealed subs up front, but probably not near as much at my moderate listening levels. I’m getting to where I rarely go over about -15mv these days with subs not ran as hot as I used to to do for more feel. I think my favorite feel now that I’m able to get a lot of, even at these moderate to lower SPL levels, is a certain feel from the TR being at pretty extreme levels (and a big part of it coming from the BK LFE’s) is a feel that I’m just getting pounded by bass that can be felt a lot more on the inside of the body internally vs outside my body. On certain material and frequencies (like in the Venom Time Stamp post I did not too long ago), it just feels like it’s almost hurting my insides it’s so strong, like I’m just getting pummeled by MEGA bass. Yes, some of this is coming from the VNF subs parked behind me (especially Mid Bass chest slam) and moderate SPL, but most all other feel below MB is coming from the other TR devises (especially from the BK's). It still blows my mind sometimes that these TR devices can bring this kind of feel to such an extreme level and trick me into believing its real or coming from massive SPL bass!!! Yep, all these TR devices are a godsend for me!!!!

Sorry man, it wasn’t my initial intention to get into all that but guess I just felt like sharing some of it today since it's probably at least partially responsible for this crazy TR thirst I have LOL

Again, thanks for joining in on the thread and being such an inspiration to me with all this HT and TR stuff over the years!! I still remember reading about your impressions and all that with the JTR Captivators, Subversives, DIY subs comparisons you and Archaea did years back, plus all the GTG write-ups, along with all the VNF stuff as well. It’s a big part of what sent me down this quest to get the best HT bass and TR experience I could get!! So, THANK YOU!!!

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, send that one Crowson that’s only giving you about 1/2 power back to Randy, he’ll fix it right up. You probably either burned the coils on it or possibly have what I had going on with my first two MAs where the springs got squished out on one side and they really took a performance hit. Fortunately, he fixed them right up to as good as new. Yeah, these things are so fun to have in the mix, especially for the single digit stuff. They help so much!!!
darrellh44, Nalleh and Kevnmin like this.

Last edited by SBuger; 12-30-2019 at 04:53 PM.
post #600 of 1585 Old 12-30-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@carp : Awsome to hear you moved things around and got a better result afterwards. Anytime you can do that without spending more money is gold !
And also i like to hear that you also use your Crowson for a much better combined result I kind of had a feeling you would not sell the MA’s

If you have a defect MA, don’t worry, Randolph will fix it in no time, just send him a mail, and he will get you sorted

I am not going to be as subtle as @SBuger : i think you would LOVE some BK’s in the mix !! They have a intensity and ferrousity than nothing else can match, and i have tried using 4xJBL or 1x18" per seat as BOSS.

However i would not use less than one BK pr seat, or you could end up overdriving them, so it will cost a bit more than your BOSS
SBuger likes this.

>>>>Nalleh’s HT<<<<
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page