The Tactile Response Thread for BASS :)) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 304Likes

post #61 of 255 Old 08-06-2019, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked: 3926
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Yeah...that was a sample of one watching a scene I'm very familiar with (War of the Worlds - Pods Emerge) and I wasn't sure what to expect. It felt mechanical to me, so I asked him to reduce the power and it was the same feeling still just to a lesser extent. I tried different seats on the couch and was left with the same overall impression. Hard to describe but I would have loved to have played around with them more but didn't want to be overbearing like I can be sometimes He hasn't experienced a BOSS yet, so hopefully that will happen in the near future.....about a 2.5 hour drive.
I was mainly just messing with ya Does kinda surprise me though. But who knows, we all experience things differently, and the way things are setup and variables like seating and the way they interact with TR components can have a big effect on the way it feels sometimes. And your used to the BOSS. No denying that it can feel so very, very realistic!! Is one of the reasons I love it so much!! But I do love the Crowsons too.
trhought likes this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 6.5' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 255 Old 08-07-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 306 Post(s)
Quoted: 2531 Post(s)
Liked: 3394
Hey guys, i’m back

Awsome thread, and thanks @SBuger for starting it. It has been a number of threads dabling in this subject in recent years, but maybe a dedicated one is better, for all kinds of methods of acheiving good TR.

I could go on a lengthy post about all of this, but frankly it would just mirror what my good friend @SBuger has already covered in the first posts, awsome job Shelby You and me have always been on the same page about all of this, so no need to repeat what you have already said, LOL.

But i will put together a post about my journey and my thoughs when i get time.

I will just say this: each of these methods on their own is a massive upgrade from just having speakers(subs), only the crazy ones of us would need to combine several kinds of TR devices, so for newbies reading and who may find it scary, any one of them will give you a increased enjoyment of your setup and movies.
SBuger, Hopinater and Kevnmin like this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #63 of 255 Old 08-07-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
Hey guys, i’m back

Awsome thread, and thanks @SBuger for starting it. It has been a number of threads dabling in this subject in recent years, but maybe a dedicated one is better, for all kinds of methods of acheiving good TR.

I could go on a lengthy post about all of this, but frankly it would just mirror what my good friend @SBuger has already covered in the first posts, awsome job Shelby You and me have always been on the same page about all of this, so no need to repeat what you have already said, LOL.

But i will put together a post about my journey and my thoughs when i get time.

I will just say this: each of these methods on their own is a massive upgrade from just having speakers(subs), only the crazy ones of us would need to combine several kinds of TR devices, so for newbies reading and who may find it scary, any one of them will give you a increased enjoyment of your setup and movies.
Thanks, Nalleh , and nice post!!

Welcome back and thanks for joining in!! I’m already looking forward to your ‘Journey and Thoughts’ post as well, my bro!!

Well said on the Bold above!!
Nalleh likes this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 6.5' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 255 Old 08-07-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3446 Post(s)
Liked: 10609
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Thanks Shelby, that means a lot to me as that was my very first build for the love of audio . Honestly, I wouldn't have built that BOSS without your enthusiastic posts about TR. For anyone interests, my BOSS pictures and write ups are linked on page 29 of the Boss thread (linked here on the first post.).

IMO, no VNF sub can replace the BOSS, especially down low in the teen to the single digit Hz range. What impresses me the most is the ability to have strong TR at -20MV and softer volume. I had decent TR with my subs alone but I had to crank to -10MV and much louder with hotter bass to feel it, not any more with BOSS that not only I am able to protect my ears but also get more TR - to me that is very important.
Good point Tony... that's a great benefit of TR (whether it be from a BOSS system or Crowsons etc) you can save your hearing. One thing I still can't get over is how my Crowsons make the bass SOUND louder than it is. I've played around a lot with listening to a scene with the Crowsons on and then with them off (and then on again and off again etc) and when they are on you'd swear the volume had been cranked up. It's why I suggest to people to get TR before adding more subs. It's cheaper and they may just find out they don't need any more subs after all.
Alan P, m0j0, SBuger and 3 others like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #65 of 255 Old 08-07-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked: 2314
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Shelby has got me thinking about adding Butt kickers to the BOSS...
You are almost as sick as them
SBuger and Kevnmin like this.
post #66 of 255 Old 08-07-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Quoted: 2807 Post(s)
Liked: 3496
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
You are almost as sick as them
Lol! its infectious man! I love it and I need more. These Butt kickers and a FV28 should do it!

And I have made no change to my listening volume of -10MV
SBuger likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #67 of 255 Old 08-08-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 9204
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
While moving the sub very nearfield will increase TR it still couldn't keep up with the crowsons in the teens and single digits. Its good he has both!
It was a joke.
post #68 of 255 Old 08-08-2019, 07:39 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaGreg View Post
Killer thread fellas!

For a carpeted concrete floor theater does anyone know if TR can be improved by placing seating on a one or two inch tall wood platform? I'm thinking of trying this for my first row seating but not sure if this low height does anything. My second row at 16" high definitely makes a difference.

Edit: I'm referring to setup with subwoofer only, no transducers.

You really should build a BOSS Platform.

I have yet to experience one.
trhought likes this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #69 of 255 Old 08-08-2019, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My TR JOURNEY (PS: not covering the subs here, just the TR part of the setup)

My first TR "setup" i guess would be this back in -08 or -09 :

Some cheap POS Pyramid 12" in push-pull sealed boxes. Crap, but they did add some TR, which i hadn’t felt before.
Back then i didn’t have any REW or Minidsp, so AVR calib was all it was.

Then a couple years later i got some(also dirt cheap) shakers called Sinus Live bassPUMPs III, 2 pr seat, and it was amazing!! These were actually incredible value for the money, and worked down below 20hz, they really shook the seat and was miles better than what i had felt before(little did i know, LOL).

Then in 2016 i found the Crowson thread in here, and just had to try it, and ordered 2 of them.

Holy cow this was on another level!! All the way down to single digits, WOW!!! This was a game changer! Back then i just ran them of a old AVR, and i was STILL flabbergasted! Within months i ordered 2 more, and a dedicated amp, and with 4 Crowsons i thought i was set for life regarding TR.

Later that year i also got a Behringer B1200D after finding the MBM thread. This was more of a midbass step, but being nearfield it added a lot of TR to the mix, but somehow i wasn’t happy with it.

I even tried with my PSA S3000i + the 1200D in NF setup but not good enough.

Then in 2018 i read the "cheap JBL 12" thread", and i found my new nearfield setup, ending up with 12 of them in sealed boxes right behind my couch for a Very Near Field setup. And it was AWSOME !!

Job done

Exept this @SBuger guy kept advocating these Buttkickers !!! Since i had the "top of the line" Crowsons, and had read reviews complaining about the BK’s, i had no faith they could add anything, but i was curious, so i got 2 of them. After confirming the two biggest cons with them(the noise and bottoming out), i started to discover the pros about them. And fell in love ! Nothing else can do what they can, they are insane. So i got 2 more, LOL. I tested a couple of mounting positions before settling on having them under the front of the seats, with the Crowsons under the rear. I made a new plattform to mount all of it on, and had the best setup yet

Up until now i had run a pretty hairy house curve in my minidsp to compensate for the neutered LFE tracks Hollywood was putting out, but then the BEQ thread was born, making all tracks full bandwith, and once again came a game changer, it changed moviewatching from then on!
However BEQ and my house curve was to much, and i blew two of my Crowsons within half a year. So i had a choise: i could either get them repaired, turn the level down on them and continue with a reduced effect. NOT a option !
So i took a step forward by ordering 2 more Crowsons for a total of 6, and went for a stacked setup! I built a 2x3 stacked Crowson setup, and now i could turn down the level, use a more normal couse curve and STILL get a better result from the Crowsons.

And still with the BK’s under the front.

This was now a totally insane setup, and the stacked Crowsons, BK’s and JBL NF’s gave a mindblowing experience. I was very happy

Right.......
Then Tim invented the BOSS.....
Using the same cheap JBL’s (as shakers)and some marvelously soft silicone isolators all mounted on a plywood sheet under the seats.
Again, i was skeptical and didn’t jump on i right away, but got curious again, so had to try it, so i robbed 1 of my JBL NF boxes of it’s 4 drivers and mounted them(push and pull to make them fit) in the plattform, under the couch.

But i didn’t like it, thought it was to wimpy, so i got 2x SI18" HT subs used, removed the drivers and mounted them under the couch for BOSS duty.

Didn’t like it, almost gave up on BOSS, but decided to try one more option: cantilever! Or behind the seat instead of under it.
By now my plattform was full of holes from all the experimenting, and i still had a lot of testing to do, so i got creative and came up with a new plattform to make mounting and testing all the different gear i wanted possible. It ended up being incredible stiff, was very flexible regarding placement options and made room for all the components i ever wanted to fit in there. Here is the prototype.

VOILA, that hit the spot, and i loved it this got me fired up, but the heigth of the 18" meant that the VNF needed to be very high up to work, so instead of 1x18", i tried 4x12" JBL for cantilever BOSS, and that worked very well, and didn’t require the VNF’s to be so high. So the final version of the TR Sled looks like this.

In the middle of this testing i also tried a "combo VNF/BOSS box", which started from the idea i had about extending the LFE on the VNF boxes by using a passive radiator sub together with the JBL’s, and by mounting a Earthquake SLAPS M12 passive radiator in a downfiring config, the incredible stroke(4inch) and mass(500+grams) could be used for BOSS duty while the JBL’s facing forward took care of the FR and near field effect. Win-win.

So, with all components tried and tested, i could finish the whole thing and mount all the gear on the sled.

So this means that i have 4 !! different ways of making TR on this one patent: the TR Sled.

Per seat: 2xBK in front, 2x MA in the middle(2x2 stack on the left seat), 4x JBL cantilever BOSS and 2x JBL VNF box on top with SLAPS passive radiator downfiring for BOSS duty.

And since i have a two seat couch, that means double all that for the whole couch! The TR part of my setup is now waaay more complicated and expensive than my main sub section, LOL. Heck i have 4x NU6K’s just for the TR part alone, LOL(6 total for LFE).

But the result is just totally bonkers, and WAY better than i even dared dream of, so i am happy about that. Another advantage about optimizing TR is it doesn’t bother your neighbours, while getting more subs defenitely would

But still very stealthy

This got long, so i will leave "my thoughts" for another post, LOL.

More info and measurements etc is in my thread
dlinsley, Alan P, m0j0 and 6 others like this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 08-08-2019 at 04:56 PM.
post #70 of 255 Old 08-08-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
Wow @Nalleh Thanks for sharing! What a journey you've taken.....and, a great history lesson for TR in our crazy hobby!

Also, a testament to how addictive AVS Forum can be and how deep the rabbit hole can get

Congrats on your TR Sleds.....still admire how "tough" looking they are! A perfect merge of industrial strength function and form....
SBuger, SBuger, BP1Fanatic and 2 others like this.
post #71 of 255 Old 08-08-2019, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

@Nalleh - Thanks for posting your journey my good TR loving friend!!! I loved reading through it and seeing the progression!!!

And what you ended up with in the end, GAWD …ABSOLUTELY INSANE!!!!!! I just shake my head and grin ear to ear every time I see those final TR Sled pics!!!!!! I recon you have enough TR firepower there now to do bodily harm when you unleash that beast in full throttle mode hahahahaha. I know what mine can do, and yours is even crazier LOL. Super fun times for sure!!!

Hail the True TR King!!!!
trhought, BP1Fanatic and Nalleh like this.

post #72 of 255 Old 08-08-2019, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ Thanks guys Both of you are partially to blame for this madness as you kept nagging me to try things, LOL. And i kept biting
SBuger and trhought like this.

Nalleh’s HT
post #73 of 255 Old 08-09-2019, 04:21 AM
Home Theater Enthusiast

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked: 562
Quote:
^^ Thanks guys Both of you are partially to blame for this madness as you kept nagging me to try things, LOL. And i kept biting

D-Box is next...
SBuger, trhought and Nalleh like this.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Wisconsin Home Theater Enthusiasts Meet
SOWK Home Theater
post #74 of 255 Old 08-09-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@SBuger @Nalleh I got the BK LFE that ordered for sizing and alas it does not fit anywhere, front or back on my platform. So I have the following choices and would appreciate your thoughts:

1. Extend the BOSS platform in the back by about 1 feet and place the BK LFEs behind the chairs. This will cause my seating to move even closer to the screen which I am not too fond of but I could make it work and it may throw other things off balance with speakers and subs. Don't know how I would do that either.

2. Try the mini BK LFE. Not sure if these will work either but I could order one for size as well. Anyone experienced them? may be adding more of those provides the same impact as the larger BK?

3. Drop the BK idea and save up for crowsons as they will go under the feet of the chair so no space issue

4. Drop the whole dang thing and enjoy what I have and just add the BOSS to the rear row

What do you all think?

Thanks,
Ray

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #75 of 255 Old 08-09-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ Yeah, the BK LFEs are pretty big! Probably part of the reason they can feel so strong. The original BKs were even bigger

1. This could work well I think for the BKs. BUT, I have no problems getting closer to the screen , so ……. In fact, with the new PJ, I moved a little closer than I was since it’s so much sharper than what I had. I think I’m now about 6’ 8” eyes to 16:9 s120” screen. Yeah I know, probably too close but I LOVE the immersion. How close are you now eyes to screen and screen size in your front row? But yeah, might throw your speaker positions off a little depending on how far forward you have to move. A re-cal will probably be in order at the very least.

2. Good question. I’ve never tried the mini’s but haven’t heard great things about them. But I’ve heard some bad things about the BK LFEs too, and you know how much I love them BUT, @Sekosche was one that tried the mini BKs (I think it was the mini’s) and he didn’t care for them, and he’s not just anybody …I trust he he knows good TR I think mainly they are just not big enough to get down to that 20-12hz area with authority without really struggling. Multiples may help though. IDK, I think if it were me, I’d try to make the full size BK LFEs work, even if you have to mount them cantilevered and your seating moved forward to make it happen (at least if moving forward doesn’t give you some bad nulls from your sub locations or something, or totally throw your imaging off etc).

3. Hmmm, yes this could work too. As awesome as the MAs are down low and under 10hz, if it were me I’d probably go with the BKs if I had to choose one, as that 12-30hz range that they can dish out can be so exhilarating. Not that I don’t love the under 10hz stuff as well.

4. LOL, yeah there’s an idea!! Let’s see if you have more willpower to say NO to MOAR than me and Nalleh hahahahaha. Nah seriously, IDK. I’m sure your system kicks butt and is a ton of fun the way it is now. But I totally understand that want for more, no matter how good it already is sometimes Oh the sickness that can take over us sometimes!!!!!!!
imureh likes this.

post #76 of 255 Old 08-09-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ I agree with Shelby here.

Do you have a pic from the side, showing how close the couch is to the step behind it? The BK’s are ~5 inches deep, so you shouldn’t need 1 ft extension.
imureh likes this.

Nalleh’s HT
post #77 of 255 Old 08-09-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
Quote:
I got the BK LFE that ordered for sizing and alas it does not fit anywhere, front or back on my platform.
How about this?
https://thebuttkicker.com/cmak/
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #78 of 255 Old 08-09-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Tactile Response Thread for BASS :))

Quote:
^ I agree with Shelby here.

Do you have a pic from the side, showing how close the couch is to the step behind it? The BK’s are ~5 inches deep, so you shouldn’t need 1 ft extension.

Here you go. There is just no space between the step and the chair especially when reclined. In the front I fits but then I close the chair all the way.

I am currently about 7 ft from screen when reclined. May be a bit more.

How would I extend this thing? See pic below.

Here is a pic of my boss flipped upside down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by imureh; 08-09-2019 at 04:07 PM.
post #79 of 255 Old 08-09-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Tactile Response Thread for BASS :))

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
How about this?
https://thebuttkicker.com/cmak/
Michael

Michael, I did look at that but I am attaching the BKs to the BOSS platform plus no room on sides of the chairs. It has to be in the back cantilevered if anything

Last edited by imureh; 08-09-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #80 of 255 Old 08-09-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked: 2112
Is there room under a back leg going to the back? That's how I had mine when I was using it.
It looks like you have it that way in the pics. You don't NEED to attach it to the platform if it's attached to the chair.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #81 of 255 Old 08-09-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 3632
@imureh

In all fairness, I had a pair of Crowson’s before trying the BK Advance so the bar was already set very high for quality TR. The BK Advance is at least double or more the weight of the BK mini, and I think the BK LFE again doubles or quadruples the shaker potential from the mid level Advance.

I may try the BK LFE’s someday to see what else I can add, but I definitely wouldn’t recommend anything smaller than the Advance, which at that point you might as well just buy the LFE for maximum impact across a large riser like yours. I only demoed the BK’s for a few days before sending them back, because I couldn’t get them dialed in well enough to add any significant TR over the Crowsons without severely bottoming out/clanking during really low content <15Hz. I also demoed the BK’s before adding the really soft isolators I have now, which greatly increases the wobble and helps to decouple the seating. So it wasn’t ideal conditions for a truly fair comparison of the BK’s potential, but I still expected more for the money and time invested in trying them...maybe I was a little naive there.

I could have added a steep HPF and maybe have gotten more out of them without the dreaded clanking noise, but coming from Crowsons, which are always silent regardless of content, the BK Advance were a big disappointment in my setup at the time. If you care to search back, I think I detailed my comparison a couple years ago in the Crowson thread.
@Nalleh and @SBuger are definitely a couple pros when it comes to dialing in BK’s, and I’d certainly would go with their recommendations. When you start mixing so many forms of TR, dialing everything in properly is key and the most time consuming part of the setup most of us just gloss over. I learn new things all the time around here from them.

Good luck man!
SBuger, Nalleh and Kevnmin like this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #82 of 255 Old 08-09-2019, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here you go. There is just no space between the step and the chair especially when reclined. In the front I fits but then I close the chair all the way.

I am currently about 7 ft from screen when reclined. May be a bit more.
Thanks for the pics

IDK man, it look from the pics like you are ALMOST there ! The BK is half way in there, just moving the couch with the BOSS a couple inches forward and it’s done.

I have had FAR bigger obstacles to face (read getting 2x12" BOSS push-pull IN the seat chassis), but how much work you are willing to put into it is up to you, of course.

The BK doesn’t need much space around it, it vibrates, but 5mm of space in each direction is plenty, so you can mount it pretty close to the seat.
SBuger likes this.

Nalleh’s HT
post #83 of 255 Old 08-10-2019, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My "thoughts"...

If you don’t have any TR devices and wonder about dipping your toes in these waters, most any of these devices will improve your movie watching a good deal. Now, some will like one solution better than the other, but it should still be an improvement. I dare say if it isn’t, it is very likely poor setup related.
These devices CAN work very well right out of the box for a lot of people, but that doesn’t mean the setup is optimal.
Another thing is even if it feels like one device is covering all areas, there are still differences and pros and cons on all of them. For example in my setup(which probably most would call totally overkill), if i mute any one of the devices, i can feel something missing. They all contribute and summ up for a very precise and nuanced feel.

So, let’s say you have mounted and connected a TR device and you are over the moon about it, but like with a subwoofer: have you measured it? Is it setup properly?
A good setup can change your impression from a horrible one to a awsome one, and a good setup can change from a very good one to a mindblowingly good one. But if you don’t check/ measure it, you’ll never know.

EQ.
Normally the TR devices gets the signal from the LFE output from your AVR. Since the room affect the sound waves your speakers(and in this case the subwoofer) puts out, the room calibration in your AVR tries to correct that by using equalizer to flatten the percieved response.
However a TR device doesn’t make sound, it vibrates, and as such is unaffected by the room and doesn’t need EQ. It needs a flat signal, but now instead it receives a signal that could have a 10dB boost at 20hz and a dip of -10dB at 35hz making the feel from the TR device uneven and un-natural.
This can be fixed with a external EQ like a Minidsp and can be done in at least two ways.
1. Either you pre-EQ the signal, so that your AVR room calibration would’t need to EQ the LFE signal. And then you EQ your LFE for your subwoofer(s) manually afterwards.
2. Or you run the room calib on your AVR as normal, and then EQ your TR device signal back to flat afterwards.

Timing.
The point here is to get your subs and the TR devices signals to reach your MLP at the same time, same as if you have two subwoofers placed different in the room. For your subs this can be done using the free software REW and a microfon measuring the sound.
But again: your TR devices doesn’t make sound, they make vibrations, so REW wouldn’t work. However everybody has a smart phone, and you can download a free app called Vibsensor, which measure vibrations.
IMO this is a invaluable tool to tweak the timing on all TR devices. Is it perfect? No! But then again, neither is REW, but VS can get you FAR closer to the target than just go by "feel".
It is a bit up to yourself how presise and consistent VS can be, but i can do 5 seperate measurements , and they measure EXACTLY the same. And it is very responsive to changes, for example delay adjustments, so i would call it the TR equivalent to REW.

I have also noted that all my TR devices seem to work more efficient on this new TR Sled than it did on my old MDF sheet. I think this is because it is much stiffer and rigid, and not only does each component have a more stable fundation, but it seems they work better together, as less work is wasted in flex from the sheet.

Also i find it funny and interesting that me and my "TR twin" @SBuger had kind of the opposite experience with normal vs cantilever BOSS. I have tried both 12" and 18" in both normal and cantilever position, and clearly preferred cantilever, while he tried 12" in normal and 3x18" !! in cantilever, and preferred normal position!

He also wanted his BK’s more to the rear, while i prefer them under the front of seat. It’s all good though, just goes to show there is more than one way to skin the cat

And in all my experiments, what REALLY surprised me, was how good the " SLAPPed BOSS" worked! This can easily be used as a one box solution for both VNF and BOSS function, and would provide exellent NF effect and wooble and punch

And then there is what floor you have, concrete or suspended, and what seating you have, which all will affect how much TR you get.

I guess if you are thinking about getting any of these option, just ask here, and we can try to answer as good as we can. Between us, i think we can help most of you
Bluescale and SBuger like this.

Nalleh’s HT
post #84 of 255 Old 08-10-2019, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ AWESOME post my bro Nalleh (my ‘TR Twin’ LOL )!!!! You touched on some great and very important things and I couldn’t agree more!!! Thanks so much for joining in and contributing, helping to bring amazing TR into the community and more mainstream as being a vital part of a system and the experience that can be had from it!!!!
Nalleh likes this.

post #85 of 255 Old 08-10-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked: 1577
Its because of you guys that I have my Crowsons! And I'm still working on dialing them in since I just got new seats and it does feel different than my other seats.
SBuger and Nalleh like this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #86 of 255 Old 08-10-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ Yup, the seats are a big part of how TR is transferred to your body, and i believe @SBuger noticed a difference too, switching to new seats.

I went from two singleseat recliners which actually had swing too(not ideal with Crowsons, as they turned around under heavy action scenes, LOL) to a two seat couch with recliner function, and liked it much better.

Depending on steel or wood frame, thickness and type of padding/springs/suspension, weight, recliner or not, etc, two brands of couches can feel wastly different.

EDIT: also if you leave the original feets on your seat/couch, their type and material can affect your TR.

SBuger likes this.

Nalleh’s HT

Last edited by Nalleh; 08-10-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #87 of 255 Old 08-10-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Hey guys, first off, great thread and really enjoying seeing the TR journeys everyone has shared! I haven't been at it for very long, but I have started down the TR path as well so thought I would share for those of us who are new to it / not quite as experienced or advanced.

I have had an average 8 to 12 inch Polk sub in some iteration or another for my various 5.1 and 7.1 HT setups in my living room for many years, going back to the 90's, and never really got much into things until I bought a new home a few years ago. I vowed to turn the sitting or formal room of the house (when you first come in the front door) into a dedicated home theater, ONE DAY... Well, when I finally got around to setting up a projector and put an IKEA couch in there, with no stereo to speak of, I had to start picking out components. One thing I decided was I wanted to have a good subwoofer, so after some research, I bought and SVS SB-2000. I also felt at the time that I wanted things to look nice and neat so I bought an AV Rack that would allow me to fit the SVS inside it (and keep the kids from messing with the wires and knobs, which they love to do).

The first attached pic is what the place looked like when I bought the house.

The 2nd pic is what the setup looked like once I added in the SVS and the Ikea couch, as well as a full 5.1.4 surround setup.

I was quite impressed with the "feel" I was getting from the SVS in a near field setup. It made me wonder what it would be like with more and bigger bass. So, I saw a sale for a Monolith 15 THX Ultra and thought, yep, that should do nicely. After trying it in the front of the room, I found it was too powerful in that location and disturbed the wife and kids at night, so I thought, if I move it behind the couch, that might work. First, I stood it up and turned it sideways since it was so big, to get it to fit and not have to move my seating out too far into the room. I didn't like that result, so I placed the sub on it's side with ports firing forward into the seat, and that was very nice! So, I also moved the SVS behind the seats in the same way and started to get my room setup with VNF bass, which I liked a lot! I also ended up getting a deal on some Monolith THX 10's, and put those on the outside seats setup the same way. I was rocking and pretty happy with the setup. However, I ended up developing Tinnitus and that ended my VNF setup, as I could no longer tolerate the subs at SPL levels I was happy with playing that close to my ears.

Then, I read about the BOSS being a low cost DIY shaker platform with little to no SPL but great Tactile response, and I had to learn more! A few weeks later, I was able to finalize my BOSS build and try it out, and wow, it really brought back the TR I was so bummed about losing when I had to move the 15 out of the room and move the 10's and 12 up front. Now, I get great all around bass at reasonable SPL levels and awesome TR with my boss platforms! Based on everyone else's setups, I will probably also expand out to some Crowson's at some point, but for now, I'm pretty happy with the results.

EDIT: And if anyone is interested, I attached some pics of what the room looks like now compared to when we moved in 3 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	854.1 KB
ID:	2601440   Click image for larger version

Name:	ht24.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	2601446   Click image for larger version

Name:	ht42.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	2601448   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190329_151359-3.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2601450   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190329_151444-1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	980.4 KB
ID:	2601452  

Name:	20190413_081957.jpg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2601454   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail2.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2601462   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2601464   Click image for larger version

Name:	newht10.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	2601466   Click image for larger version

Name:	bossatnight1.jpg
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	2601468  

Name:	ht4.jpg
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	2601470   Click image for larger version

Name:	ht3.jpg
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	2601472   Click image for larger version

Name:	ht2.jpg
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	2601474   Click image for larger version

Name:	ht1.jpg
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	2601476   Click image for larger version

Name:	ht8.jpg
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	2601478  

Name:	ht7.jpg
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	2601480   Click image for larger version

Name:	ht6.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2601482   Click image for larger version

Name:	ht5.jpg
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2601484   Click image for larger version

Name:	newht9.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	2601486   Click image for larger version

Name:	newht3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	2601488  

Last edited by m0j0; 08-10-2019 at 09:01 AM.
post #88 of 255 Old 08-10-2019, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@m0j0 : Thanks for sharing, awsome to read your journey Seems like you ended up in a happy place

Love the barn doors, and very cool room
m0j0 and SBuger like this.

Nalleh’s HT
post #89 of 255 Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the pics

IDK man, it look from the pics like you are ALMOST there ! The BK is half way in there, just moving the couch with the BOSS a couple inches forward and it’s done.

I have had FAR bigger obstacles to face (read getting 2x12" BOSS push-pull IN the seat chassis), but how much work you are willing to put into it is up to you, of course.

The BK doesn’t need much space around it, it vibrates, but 5mm of space in each direction is plenty, so you can mount it pretty close to the seat.

Thanks guys for helping me shape how this could work. @trhought helped me figure out on the BOSS about extending the platform may be using 1 inch thick hardwood and just screwing it in to the platform. Thanks @Sekosche for sharing your thoughts. I will try and make the BK LFE work if I can.

The question I now have left is whether I stay with 2 BKs in front and 2 in back or having one per seat in front and back which would make it 6. The amp I was looking at is the NX-4 6000 that is a 4 channel amp and would be capable of sending 860w at 4 ohms to each BK in a 4 BK set up. With 6 the power will drop and I may need to add another 2 channel amp so it gets more complicated and expensive which I want to avoid.

What do you guys think, can the amp I mention drive 6 BKs and send enough power to make use of their entire capability? This will determine how I place the boards on the platform for extending. I.e. one exactly behind each seat in 6 BK set up or perhaps between the seats in 4 BK set up.

Dialing in and all is a whole other ball game which I will definitely reach out to @Nalleh and @SBuger once I have this all set up.

Thanks
Ray

SBuger, Nalleh and Sekosche like this.

post #90 of 255 Old 08-10-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 1186
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
Hey guys, first off, great thread and really enjoying seeing the TR journeys everyone has shared! I haven't been at it for very long, but I have started down the TR path as well so thought I would share for those of us who are new to it / not quite as experienced or advanced.

I have had an average 8 to 12 inch Polk sub in some iteration or another for my various 5.1 and 7.1 HT setups in my living room for many years, going back to the 90's, and never really got much into things until I bought a new home a few years ago. I vowed to turn the sitting or formal room of the house (when you first come in the front door) into a dedicated home theater, ONE DAY... Well, when I finally got around to setting up a projector and put an IKEA couch in there, with no stereo to speak of, I had to start picking out components. One thing I decided was I wanted to have a good subwoofer, so after some research, I bought and SVS SB-2000. I also felt at the time that I wanted things to look nice and neat so I bought an AV Rack that would allow me to fit the SVS inside it (and keep the kids from messing with the wires and knobs, which they love to do).

The first attached pic is what the place looked like when I bought the house.

The 2nd pic is what the setup looked like once I added in the SVS and the Ikea couch, as well as a full 5.1.4 surround setup.

I was quite impressed with the "feel" I was getting from the SVS in a near field setup. It made me wonder what it would be like with more and bigger bass. So, I saw a sale for a Monolith 15 THX Ultra and thought, yep, that should do nicely. After trying it in the front of the room, I found it was too powerful in that location and disturbed the wife and kids at night, so I thought, if I move it behind the couch, that might work. First, I stood it up and turned it sideways since it was so big, to get it to fit and not have to move my seating out too far into the room. I didn't like that result, so I placed the sub on it's side with ports firing forward into the seat, and that was very nice! So, I also moved the SVS behind the seats in the same way and started to get my room setup with VNF bass, which I liked a lot! I also ended up getting a deal on some Monolith THX 10's, and put those on the outside seats setup the same way. I was rocking and pretty happy with the setup. However, I ended up developing Tinnitus and that ended my VNF setup, as I could no longer tolerate the subs at SPL levels I was happy with playing that close to my ears.

Then, I read about the BOSS being a low cost DIY shaker platform with little to no SPL but great Tactile response, and I had to learn more! A few weeks later, I was able to finalize my BOSS build and try it out, and wow, it really brought back the TR I was so bummed about losing when I had to move the 15 out of the room and move the 10's and 12 up front. Now, I get great all around bass at reasonable SPL levels and awesome TR with my boss platforms! Based on everyone else's setups, I will probably also expand out to some Crowson's at some point, but for now, I'm pretty happy with the results.

EDIT: And if anyone is interested, I attached some pics of what the room looks like now compared to when we moved in 3 years ago.
m0j0....Thanks for sharing pictures or your theater! Love the barn doors, love the painting above the doors, especially how the red seems to glow. Love the dark color scheme and tall ceilings....wow! Nicely done!

It's also great to hear the BOSS is helping with your Tinnitus. I tried VNF for a couple months last summer and could never get the natural feeling I was seeking. After so many experiments and different arrangements with VNF, I finally gave up. What I remember most about VNF, was the volume level sensitivity and how that had such a large impact on the overall experience. I also remember volume creep was addictive with VNF, but by the time the movie or music was over, my ears would be ringing. Not good I thought to myself. A couple hours of enjoyment will result in a lifetime of hearing loss.

Now, with the BOSS platforms, our MV rarely goes louder than -10dB and even then, the TR is almost too much at that point. -20dB is where most of our listening occurs and with BEQ, the TR is perfect including the chest slam I was getting with VNF.

Best of all, no ear ringing afterwards!
m0j0 and SBuger like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page