Are you knowledgeable about Subwoofs? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By bargugl
  • 2 Post By darthray
  • 1 Post By DonH50

post #1 of 6 Old 08-03-2019, 04:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Are you knowledgeable about Subwoofs?

So I'm looking at these 2 Subwoofs rythmik L22 vs the FM8 and I just don't understand why they are about the same price considering one has dual 12 inch drivers and the other 8 inch dual drivers.
Can someone with an extended knowledge help me understand.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L22.html

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FM8.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-03-2019, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 317
Even though it may be smaller, the FM8 just simply costs as much to make. In the simplest terms, manufacturing costs do not scale according to size. Another example of this is why PSA has not introduced smaller subs than 15", they would cost just as much for them to build unless they change parts of their operation (which Tom has finally decided to do in order to make a competitive smaller product). Rythmik could increase the price of the L22 so that you pay more for larger. Many other companies would, but Rythmik has chosen not to gouge their customers in that way and are comfortable with their margin on the L22 as is, which makes the L22 an awesome bargain.

The FM8 is designed to be more of a mid bass module than a stand alone subwoofer, though it can be stand alone in a small space with very limited room.
darthray likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-04-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 3057
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post
Even though it may be smaller, the FM8 just simply costs as much to make. In the simplest terms, manufacturing costs do not scale according to size. Another example of this is why PSA has not introduced smaller subs than 15", they would cost just as much for them to build unless they change parts of their operation (which Tom has finally decided to do in order to make a competitive smaller product). Rythmik could increase the price of the L22 so that you pay more for larger. Many other companies would, but Rythmik has chosen not to gouge their customers in that way and are comfortable with their margin on the L22 as is, which makes the L22 an awesome bargain.

The FM8 is designed to be more of a mid bass module than a stand alone subwoofer, though it can be stand alone in a small space with very limited room.
+1
While it is a mid bass design. And also believe you have the proper answer for the cost difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the7mcs View Post
So I'm looking at these 2 Subwoofs rythmik L22 vs the FM8 and I just don't understand why they are about the same price considering one has dual 12 inch drivers and the other 8 inch dual drivers.
Can someone with an extended knowledge help me understand.

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/L22.html

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FM8.html
You should ask here;
Official Rythmik Audio Subwoofer thread
And positive @enricoclaudio, will give the same answer. As the quote above for the price difference.

That said, the L22 is a subwoofer. While the FM8 is more for someone who need extra mid bass.
Both are design with different purpose requirement.

Darth
indebtbassfreak and DonH50 like this.

Last edited by darthray; 08-04-2019 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-05-2019, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 3175 Post(s)
Liked: 3171
The FM8 also uses two 600 W amplifier modules vs. the single 600 W amplifier module in the L22. That probably accounts for much of the cost.
darthray likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #5 of 6 Old 08-07-2019, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 215
@bargugl
@darthray

@DonH50

Thank you all for the help.

The FM8 does actually sound like something I'd be interested in after all.

Just wasn't sure about the price, but thanks for the explanation and clarification
post #6 of 6 Old 08-10-2019, 12:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1441
Dual L22 has almost twice the output and lower extension. The choice is clear to me

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Emotiva E2 (2) | Rythmik Audio F12 (2)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page