I'm hearing truckers CB radio conversations through my Klipsch KSW-200 subwoofers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Jayls5
  • 1 Post By dpc716
  • 2 Post By DonH50
  • 2 Post By bobknavs

post #1 of 8 Old 08-10-2019, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm hearing truckers CB radio conversations through my Klipsch KSW-200 subwoofers

I've got 2 Klipsch KSW-200 subs for my 7.2 setup (internal amplified 12"). I'd post the link to the manual, but my post count isn't high enough yet.

Both are picking up trucker conversations. It's kind of hilarious but intolerable during quiet movie scenes which get interrupted with a muffled, "Derp du derp derp yeah man!"

I even disconnected the RCA audio input to the subs, and the they are still picking it up whenever they are turned on.

I'm thinking my easiest option is to tear the sub box open and tape the interior of the enclosure with aluminum tape to act as a Faraday cage to block the radio interference. Anyone ever heard of this happening before??
Soulburner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayls5 View Post
I've got 2 Klipsch KSW-200 subs for my 7.2 setup (internal amplified 12"). I'd post the link to the manual, but my post count isn't high enough yet.

Both are picking up trucker conversations. It's kind of hilarious but intolerable during quiet movie scenes which get interrupted with a muffled, "Derp du derp derp yeah man!"

I even disconnected the RCA audio input to the subs, and the they are still picking it up whenever they are turned on.

I'm thinking my easiest option is to tear the sub box open and tape the interior of the enclosure with aluminum tape to act as a Faraday cage to block the radio interference. Anyone ever heard of this happening before??
That’s bizarre. Since the rca is not at fault, I wonder if the sub amp is amplifying a signal picked up by your electrical. Does increasing the trim on the avr and lowering the gain on the sub help?
Madmax67 likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It's a real thing, many electronics can pick up radio waves: guitar amps, wah pedals, powered speakers, etc. Since you know it's coming from the sub itself then you are correct, you either need to shield the internals (without trapping heat) or try different locations in the room. Any search engine will show you thousands of hits for this, in case you want to search for an easier solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 05:43 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 689
post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 3176 Post(s)
Liked: 3174
IN the Olden Days I would add a small capacitor across the input and/or output to attenuate the RF signal. But you need to find the point of entry. I would first make or buy and RCA shorting cap and try that on the input jack (or all input jacks if more than one). If that fixes the problem you may simply need a better-shielded cable to the sub.
ratbuddy and Madmax67 like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
Good lord. Do truckers still use CB?

(I'm thinking of the song "Convoy", performed by C. W. McCall. From 1978.)
d-rail34 and darthray like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-12-2019, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
That’s bizarre. Since the rca is not at fault, I wonder if the sub amp is amplifying a signal picked up by your electrical. Does increasing the trim on the avr and lowering the gain on the sub help?

I hadn't considered the A/C wall source as a potential antenna. It's obviously hard to reproduce and test since the truckers are sporadic, but I vaguely recall the conversations being equally loud regardless of gain while troubleshooting and removing the inputs entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathodeRay View Post
It's a real thing, many electronics can pick up radio waves: guitar amps, wah pedals, powered speakers, etc. Since you know it's coming from the sub itself then you are correct, you either need to shield the internals (without trapping heat) or try different locations in the room. Any search engine will show you thousands of hits for this, in case you want to search for an easier solution.

Subs are on opposite ends of the room and both pick it up simultaneously when they're talking. Looks like I'll be ripping them apart and hoping aluminum tape does the trick. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-12-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 3058
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Good lord. Do truckers still use CB?

(I'm thinking of the song "Convoy", performed by C. W. McCall. From 1978.)

Actually, many still do to warn other trucker of potential danger up front in one highway. On top of the two way radio for a certain company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayls5 View Post
I hadn't considered the A/C wall source as a potential antenna. It's obviously hard to reproduce and test since the truckers are sporadic, but I vaguely recall the conversations being equally loud regardless of gain while troubleshooting and removing the inputs entirely.

Subs are on opposite ends of the room and both pick it up simultaneously when they're talking. Looks like I'll be ripping them apart and hoping aluminum tape does the trick. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
By any chance, do have your subs cables running in parallel for a good distance. Before been separated to the different locations?
Also, if you have extra long cables. Are the cable coil together, instead of been messy for the excess cable?

Both scenarios, can act like an antenna for amateur radio. With unshielded cables.
Had this problem once, while running long run in parallel and coil the excess cables.
Over 20 years ago, and was ask the same thing. For me separating the cables a little, and uncoiling-it took care of the problem.
Just no guaranty on my part, since I have been using XLR cables for the last 15 years or so. And never had this problem again

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 08-12-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers