• 1 Post By Ed Mullen

post #1 of 12 Old 08-14-2019, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Sub-woofer SVS PB 1000 quiet

Hi All,
Have been reading forum for long time and now posting first time.

Decided to move from soundbar to proper speakers setup so recently I got pair of KEF Q350 speaker and yesterday I received sub SVS PB-1000.

I'm using DENON AVR-X2500H to connect everything.

Sub is connected to no 1 sub-woofer on AVR with RCA cable to LFE conection on sub.
Low pass filter to LFE.
Phase control to 0 degrees.
Gain to between at 12 o’clock

Run Audissey and got some results where speakers were set to large and sub level is set on -6,5 Hz

Manually changed speakers to small
Set crossover to 80hz
LPA to LFE set to 120 Hz - default
Subwoofer mode set to LFE

With all adjustments I'm not getting almost any bass... Can it be faulty unit or I can change some settings ,that I did not find in forum previous discussions, in AVR to make it work.

Sub crawl is impossible to do since lack of space and sub has to be in fixed position near tv so OK I will not get optimal sub sound but I should get at least some of thump from that PB 1000. Room size iz 5.5 x 4.5 meters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-14-2019, 03:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 30
You might need a second PB-1000 as you might have some mighty nulls in your frequency response curve if you were to measure it...

Do it all or don't do it at all.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-14-2019, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked: 2013
I would re-run Audyssey with the gain around 2-3 o'clock, aiming for a Subwoofer trim between -10 and -11.5 (not -12) and then manually increase the subwoofer trim to around -6dB in the Speaker Level menu

Make sure Dynamic Volume is OFF, as well as LFC
doni01 and indebtbassfreak like this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-14-2019, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by prepa View Post
Hi All,
Have been reading forum for long time and now posting first time.

Decided to move from soundbar to proper speakers setup so recently I got pair of KEF Q350 speaker and yesterday I received sub SVS PB-1000.

I'm using DENON AVR-X2500H to connect everything.

Sub is connected to no 1 sub-woofer on AVR with RCA cable to LFE conection on sub.
Low pass filter to LFE.
Phase control to 0 degrees.
Gain to between at 12 o’clock

Run Audissey and got some results where speakers were set to large and sub level is set on -6,5 Hz

Manually changed speakers to small
Set crossover to 80hz
LPA to LFE set to 120 Hz - default
Subwoofer mode set to LFE

With all adjustments I'm not getting almost any bass... Can it be faulty unit or I can change some settings ,that I did not find in forum previous discussions, in AVR to make it work.

Sub crawl is impossible to do since lack of space and sub has to be in fixed position near tv so OK I will not get optimal sub sound but I should get at least some of thump from that PB 1000. Room size iz 5.5 x 4.5 meters.
I have a Denon 4300 & recently added a pb1000. This was the instructions from SVS. It made a huge difference.

Lets start with the subwoofer:

Set the Volume to 2 pm.
Set the Low Pass Filter to LFE (all the way to the right)
Set the Phase to 0 (all the way to the left)

On the Receiver please go into manual settings and make the following setting changes as needed:

Set all speakers to small.
Set the level of your subwoofer to -5 dB
Set the crossover for all your speakers to 80 Hz
Let the LPF to LFE and LFE to 120 Hz (in the bass menu)
In the audio menu, locate Auddyssey and make sure Dynamic EQ is on with a Reference level of 0 and Dynamic Volume is off.
nakkiran likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-15-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 846
The bass management settings in the AVR 2500 look fine after your changes.

If you are getting virtually no bass - check the upstream sources to ensure they are sending the AVR-2500 a bitstream DD 5.1 signal. Sometimes the default audio output configurations of the upstream sources are set to 2-channel PCM (to work with a direct connection to the HDTV).

If you want to make sure the PB-1000 itself if operating normally, connect your smart phone directly to the subwoofer with a headphone mini-jack to RCA adapter. Turn-up the smart phone volume all the way, set the PB-1000 low pass to 100 Hz (temporarily for this test) and the gain to 12 o'clock and then play a bassy song. The subwoofer should kick out some pretty strong bass even at 12 o'clock and by 2 o'clock should be quite loud.

If the subwoofer passes this test and kicks out some decent bass, we can continue to focus on the upstream sources.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #6 of 12 Old 08-15-2019, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Followed your instructions and now I can hear it as it should be. It seems that Dynamic volume in Auddyssey setup was creating low sound problem.
Upped volume to 2 and level to -5 and now windows are rattling :-) Tested with Kraftwerk and Blade Runner 2049 and it is night and day difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadennis View Post
I have a Denon 4300 & recently added a pb1000. This was the instructions from SVS. It made a huge difference.

Lets start with the subwoofer:

Set the Volume to 2 pm.
Set the Low Pass Filter to LFE (all the way to the right)
Set the Phase to 0 (all the way to the left)

On the Receiver please go into manual settings and make the following setting changes as needed:

Set all speakers to small.
Set the level of your subwoofer to -5 dB
Set the crossover for all your speakers to 80 Hz
Let the LPF to LFE and LFE to 120 Hz (in the bass menu)
In the audio menu, locate Auddyssey and make sure Dynamic EQ is on with a Reference level of 0 and Dynamic Volume is off.
jamiebosco and wadennis like this.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-15-2019, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

HI, thanks for answer. As I replayed in post before after turning off Dynamic volume in Auddyssey bass came strong. For source i used flac albums on USB attached to AVR and for video Blu Ray of Blade Runner 2049 and Dunkirk from Netflix app on LG B7 TV.

Volume is now on 2 o'clock and I increased level from -6,5 to -5

I will definitely test PB-1000 with smartphone and headphones to be sure since its my first proper sub-woofer, but bass is strong and really clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
The bass management settings in the AVR 2500 look fine after your changes.

If you are getting virtually no bass - check the upstream sources to ensure they are sending the AVR-2500 a bitstream DD 5.1 signal. Sometimes the default audio output configurations of the upstream sources are set to 2-channel PCM (to work with a direct connection to the HDTV).

If you want to make sure the PB-1000 itself if operating normally, connect your smart phone directly to the subwoofer with a headphone mini-jack to RCA adapter. Turn-up the smart phone volume all the way, set the PB-1000 low pass to 100 Hz (temporarily for this test) and the gain to 12 o'clock and then play a bassy song. The subwoofer should kick out some pretty strong bass even at 12 o'clock and by 2 o'clock should be quite loud.

If the subwoofer passes this test and kicks out some decent bass, we can continue to focus on the upstream sources.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-15-2019, 01:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepa View Post
HI, thanks for answer. As I replayed in post before after turning off Dynamic volume in Auddyssey bass came strong. For source i used flac albums on USB attached to AVR and for video Blu Ray of Blade Runner 2049 and Dunkirk from Netflix app on LG B7 TV.

Volume is now on 2 o'clock and I increased level from -6,5 to -5

I will definitely test PB-1000 with smartphone and headphones to be sure since its my first proper sub-woofer, but bass is strong and really clear.
If the bass is now strong/clear - then there is no need to check the subwoofer itself - this was definitely a set-up issue where you just needed to add some gain to the subwoofer channel and also disable DV.

Glad to see it's thumping good now.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #9 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I recently bought an SVS-PB-1000 sub, and enjoying the nice bass that it puts out.

Having read the specs that it goes down to 19Hz, I thought I'd see if I can hear at that frequency.

I queued up a few Youtube clips with test tones, and sure enough, there was still a barely-audible sound at 19Hz. I could be mistaken, but I'm sure I could still hear/feel something at 18Hz as well.

However, in almost every test tone that I played, at 30Hz the sub seems to 'disappear': I can't hear anything at that frequency, and neither can my wife.

this is the clip that I played a few times:

Firstly, are these clips reliable enough?

Secondly, is the 'dip' at 30Hz normal, or is something wrong with the sub? :???:

Thirdly, would the OP be willing to test this same clip on his setup to see if the same happens on his sub?

Thanks

edit:

I followed the setup procedure listed by @prepa , and I must say, it sounds spot on! The only tweak I did was to turn down the sub's volume from 2 o'c'ock to just short of 1 because the bass was bit too 'boomy' for my taste.

TV: LG OLED 55C7
Player: Oppo UDP-203
AVR: Cambridge Audio CXR200
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub

Last edited by nakkiran; 12-02-2019 at 03:40 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakkiran View Post
Hi everyone,

I recently bought an SVS-PB-1000 sub, and enjoying the nice bass that it puts out.

Having read the specs that it goes down to 19Hz, I thought I'd see if I can hear at that frequency.

I queued up a few Youtube clips with test tones, and sure enough, there was still a barely-audible sound at 19Hz. I could be mistaken, but I'm sure I could still hear/feel something at 18Hz as well.

However, in almost every test tone that I played, at 30Hz the sub seems to 'disappear': I can't hear anything at that frequency, and neither can my wife.

this is the clip that I played a few times: https://youtu.be/2tr9-PzJl_c

Firstly, are these clips reliable enough?

Secondly, is the 'dip' at 30Hz normal, or is something wrong with the sub? :???:

Thirdly, would the OP be willing to test this same clip on his setup to see if the same happens on his sub?

Thanks

edit:

I followed the setup procedure listed by @prepa , and I must say, it sounds spot on! The only tweak I did was to turn down the sub's volume from 2 o'c'ock to just short of 1 because the bass was bit too 'boomy' for my taste.
There is a standing wave null at 30 Hz at the listening location, which makes it seem like that frequency is weak or non-existent.

Move around the room and it will be louder/stronger elsewhere.

Playing test tones at loud levels for extended periods is not recommended as this can eventually overheat the voice coil (no resting period like music and movies would normally have).
nakkiran likes this.

Ed Mullen
SVS

post #11 of 12 Old 12-04-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
There is a standing wave null at 30 Hz at the listening location, which makes it seem like that frequency is weak or non-existent.
Move around the room and it will be louder/stronger elsewhere.
Playing test tones at loud levels for extended periods is not recommended as this can eventually overheat the voice coil (no resting period like music and movies would normally have).

Ah, makes sense, thanks.

I only played it for about 10 min or so, nd not loud either.

Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), SVS PB-1000 sub
post #12 of 12 Old 12-09-2019, 06:11 AM

hi everyone,

I noticed today that my sub is not going into stanby mode anymore, and there's always a low hun, even with my AVR powered off - is this an issue?

Even with the subwoofer cables out at both ends, the sub is still humming.

I've power cycled all my electronics, but the issue persists - what could it be?

thanks

Last edited by nakkiran; 12-09-2019 at 06:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page