R-115SW Best Option @ $650? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 08-17-2019, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,256
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 328
R-115SW Best Option @ $650?

I know that Klipsch subs don't get a lot of love around here. But lets say my max budget is truly $650. No stretching.

This sub seems like the best option. Other options in this price range (a bit cheaper) are 10". And the 12" options are a good amount more. (thinking Monolith and SVS)

There is the HSU VTF-2 MK5, for me about $575 shipped. But it is also a 12".

I will be using the sub for about 50/50 HT and music. But I would like it to get low for movies. I currently have two RW10's, they are ok since they are the best I have ever had,
but I know a good sub could do a lot more.

The room is pretty big, vaulted ceilings open concept with the dining and kitchen area connected. Maybe 25'x20'.

I know for AVS standards many will say none of these options are enough for this room. But remember I said I am ok with the current setup, not that I don't want more (hence the upgrade)
But I will never have the cash to throw around like many do here so thats a moot point.

Someone want to talk me out of getting the 115sw?

I have been researching the DIY route. With time constraints, limited (if any) access to a shop, and waf I am hesitant to go down that road. Looking for commercial options here.

Thanks

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 32 Old 08-17-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
You could do much worse for $650. At full price that sub isn't really worth it, but the current sale/closeout price is tough to beat.
ratbuddy is online now  
post #3 of 32 Old 08-17-2019, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,054
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked: 2469
From what I have read, supposedly Klipsch finally addressed the issue that had so many of their sub plate amps fail prematurely. I would still be hesitant to get one unless the deal was stellar, which $650 doesn't qualify. Considering the HSU VTF-2 mk5 is currently $577/shipped and has nearly the same output in 2 port mode as the R-115, I see no reason to get the Klipsch. The HSU is smaller, has tuning flexibility and can be operated in 3 different port modes, including sealed. I would pocket the $73 and go with the more reliable HSU.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 32 Old 08-17-2019, 07:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
$650 is definitely stellar for that sub. Check camelcamelcamel - it's the lowest Amazon has ever sold it for. His space is huge, the HSU has less output and the fewer-ports/sealed mode are irrelevant given that huge amount of space he needs to fill.
ratbuddy is online now  
post #5 of 32 Old 08-17-2019, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,256
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
$650 is definitely stellar for that sub. Check camelcamelcamel - it's the lowest Amazon has ever sold it for. His space is huge, the HSU has less output and the fewer-ports/sealed mode are irrelevant given that huge amount of space he needs to fill.
Yeah I just did that and it seems like a great sale. I have a birthday at the end of october and would not be buying until then, so who knows what will be happening then.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #6 of 32 Old 08-17-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,054
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
$650 is definitely stellar for that sub. Check camelcamelcamel - it's the lowest Amazon has ever sold it for. His space is huge, the HSU has less output and the fewer-ports/sealed mode are irrelevant given that huge amount of space he needs to fill.

I know Frys has had it for $500 or less on several occasions. If you look up the numbers on these two subs they are very similar in max output when the HSU is in 2 port mode. In 1 port mode the VTF-2 has a bit lower extension capability. He can buy whatever he wants, but if it were me there's absolutely no way I would pay more to get the R-115 than the VTF-2.5.
badboi likes this.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #7 of 32 Old 08-17-2019, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,256
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
I know Frys has had it for $500 or less on several occasions. If you look up the numbers on these two subs they are very similar in max output when the HSU is in 2 port mode. In 1 port mode the VTF-2 has a bit lower extension capability. He can buy whatever he wants, but if it were me there's absolutely no way I would pay more to get the R-115 than the VTF-2.5.
Don't kill me...everything else is Klipsch and I think they look great in a matching set.

Ha, HSU is one that has been on my list. I notice that the current price says summer sale so not sure what it may go back to. But I may go that route when the time comes.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #8 of 32 Old 08-17-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,054
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Don't kill me...everything else is Klipsch and I think they look great in a matching set.

Ha, HSU is one that has been on my list. I notice that the current price says summer sale so not sure what it may go back to. But I may go that route when the time comes.

It's not that the R-115 is a bad sub for performance, just a bad sub for reliability. If you want a copper coned sub to match your copper coned speakers, then that's understandable. Like I already mentioned, both the Klipsch and HSU subs are nearly the same output wise when the HSU is in 2 port mode, but the HSU does give you flexibility in how you run it that you don't get at all with the Klipsch. The VTF-2.5 is currently on sale, but HSU only discounts this sub by $30 and they do run a sale on it several times a year. Since you are waiting anyway, I would aim for Black Friday and see where the chips fall for sales that hit at that time of year.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #9 of 32 Old 08-17-2019, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
rhelliott2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: NorCal
Posts: 246
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 241
HSU VTF-2 mk5 FTW.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
rhelliott2 is online now  
post #10 of 32 Old 08-17-2019, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,256
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
It's not that the R-115 is a bad sub for performance, just a bad sub for reliability. If you want a copper coned sub to match your copper coned speakers, then that's understandable. Like I already mentioned, both the Klipsch and HSU subs are nearly the same output wise when the HSU is in 2 port mode, but the HSU does give you flexibility in how you run it that you don't get at all with the Klipsch. The VTF-2.5 is currently on sale, but HSU only discounts this sub by $30 and they do run a sale on it several times a year. Since you are waiting anyway, I would aim for Black Friday and see where the chips fall for sales that hit at that time of year.


That is definitely the wiser choice. If I can hold off another month lol.

The flexibility of the HSU does sound like a neat option to have. And a failed amp would suck on the Klipsch if that happened.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #11 of 32 Old 08-18-2019, 04:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,119
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
That is definitely the wiser choice. If I can hold off another month lol.

The flexibility of the HSU does sound like a neat option to have. And a failed amp would suck on the Klipsch if that happened.
Eh, the flexibility only matters in a much smaller room than yours, and the amp issue was resolved quite some time ago. Currently shipping subs are not affected.
ratbuddy is online now  
post #12 of 32 Old 08-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
That is definitely the wiser choice. If I can hold off another month lol.

The flexibility of the HSU does sound like a neat option to have. And a failed amp would suck on the Klipsch if that happened.
They did fix the amp issues but even if it goes, they will ship you a brand new one out that same day you call!! I personally as well love the look of the Klipsch and still have a R112sw along in my living room along with my two Mono12's
doni01 is offline  
post #13 of 32 Old 08-19-2019, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,256
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by doni01 View Post
They did fix the amp issues but even if it goes, they will ship you a brand new one out that same day you call!! I personally as well love the look of the Klipsch and still have a R112sw along in my living room along with my two Mono12's


I guess it's not that big of a deal but could be a pain. Someone is selling bstock models for a smoking deal right now but I'm but ready to pull the trigger. We'll see what happens in a couple months.

I do really like the look of the 115.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #14 of 32 Old 08-19-2019, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Posts: 344
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 134
I have two of those in my theater, and about to order a third for the rear. I'm very impressed so far with them after 2 years of heavy use. Apparently they make the SPL-150 now which I'm told is the same as the R115SW.


Try e-mailing Acoustic Sound Design in Las Vegas for a price. Mike will typically offer a better price than what is listed on the website. I used him for my 7.2.4 theater and am using him again to upgrade to 7.3.6.

Jerry
Fairbanks, Alaska
DIY In Progress Home Theater Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...tic-build.html
Star Ceiling Build: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...am-boards.html
arcticbowman is online now  
post #15 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,193
Mentioned: 186 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 9181
basshead81 is offline  
post #16 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gtgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,822
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
I guess it's not that big of a deal but could be a pain. Someone is selling bstock models for a smoking deal right now but I'm but ready to pull the trigger. We'll see what happens in a couple months.

I do really like the look of the 115.
You need to make sure the seller is a Klipsch authorized reseller. No authorization, no warranty. Buying a R-115sw is a crapshoot. No way to know if it has the revised amp. The idea that you can count on Klipsch shipping out a replacement the same day does match my experience. I have a replacement amp on back order since early July. Best they could tell me was late August or sometime in September.

If you could buy the SPL-150 for that price I would say jump on it. Fry's had the R-115sw as cheap as $399.
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.

Sony 85X900f, - Samsung 78" JS8600 Ascend Sierra 2s, Radiance XS, Martin Logan Motion 40s
gtgray is offline  
post #17 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,256
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post
You need to make sure the seller is a Klipsch authorized reseller. No authorization, no warranty. Buying a R-115sw is a crapshoot. No way to know if it has the revised amp. The idea that you can count on Klipsch shipping out a replacement the same day does match my experience. I have a replacement amp on back order since early July. Best they could tell me was late August or sometime in September.

If you could buy the SPL-150 for that price I would say jump on it. Fry's had the R-115sw as cheap as $399.
Yeah thats what I am hearing the guy I have in mind is authorized. But he is selling B-Stocks for the price you listed at fry's. He is even doing some testing on them to check the amps. He said they usually go really soon, was that your experience?

Although since they are b-stock they carry a 90 day warranty. That seems pretty sketchy given all the issues, even if they are quick to deal with the problem a back ordered amp is no amp. At least while you wait. That would suck for someone like me that would just have 1 of them.

I might take a gamble if I could get it down towards $400. But if I am paying upwards of $600 I think I would just go with HSU.
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #18 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: College Station, Texas
Posts: 2,135
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Don't kill me...everything else is Klipsch and I think they look great in a matching set.

Ha, HSU is one that has been on my list. I notice that the current price says summer sale so not sure what it may go back to. But I may go that route when the time comes.
Klipsch doesn't make bad speakers. Their low end line the R series, what you normally find in a vanilla Best Buy, are not well liked by some but the higher end RP series are usually well liked. Their subs are kind of the same, the smaller ones the 10 and 12 inch models aren't well liked because you can get a better sub at the same price from other brands. The 15 inch however is pretty universally liked.
liffie420 is offline  
post #19 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 01:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Yeah thats what I am hearing the guy I have in mind is authorized. But he is selling B-Stocks for the price you listed at fry's. He is even doing some testing on them to check the amps. He said they usually go really soon, was that your experience?

Although since they are b-stock they carry a 90 day warranty. That seems pretty sketchy given all the issues, even if they are quick to deal with the problem a back ordered amp is no amp. At least while you wait. That would suck for someone like me that would just have 1 of them.

I might take a gamble if I could get it down towards $400. But if I am paying upwards of $600 I think I would just go with HSU.
Is the 714 your area code? If you live in southern California , HSU has a listening room in Orange county that you can set up an appointment for a demo. The last Best Buy Magnolia I went to had the R115SW playing in a demo room , I was pretty surprised by how it sounded..how it compares to the HSU , im not sure...
GatoGoat is online now  
post #20 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,256
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGoat View Post
Is the 714 your area code? If you live in southern California , HSU has a listening room in Orange county that you can set up an appointment for a demo. The last Best Buy Magnolia I went to had the R115SW playing in a demo room , I was pretty surprised by how it sounded..how it compares to the HSU , im not sure...
It was but I left 5 years ago. Can't change the user name. I know the local BB has a 15" Klipsch. I should bring some demo material.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #21 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 19,147
Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8964 Post(s)
Liked: 6132
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGoat View Post
Is the 714 your area code? If you live in southern California , HSU has a listening room in Orange county that you can set up an appointment for a demo. The last Best Buy Magnolia I went to had the R115SW playing in a demo room , I was pretty surprised by how it sounded..how it compares to the HSU , im not sure...
Brent Butterworth didn't even mention the VTF2 in his review but compared it to the larger HSUVTF-15H Mk2 and felt the Klipsch held up pretty well against that sub in real world use.

https://hometheaterreview.com/klipsc...viewed/?page=2

Geoff A. J., California
gajCA is offline  
post #22 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,256
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Brent Butterworth didn't even mention the VTF2 in his review but compared it to the larger HSUVTF-15H Mk2 and felt the Klipsch held up pretty well against that sub in real world use.



https://hometheaterreview.com/klipsc...viewed/?page=2


Yeah I've read that. It is a pretty good review. Especially if you consider current pricing while the HSU had stayed basically the same.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #23 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Let me also tell you something else, amps can go on any sub. They can go on the Mono's, they can go on the HSU's and they can also go on the SVS's. What's important in my opinion is the customer service that you get from that company and how quick they take care the problem!! So keep that in mind as well. I would definitely go for more than 90 day warranty though.
doni01 is offline  
post #24 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,256
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by doni01 View Post
Let me also tell you something else, amps can go on any sub. They can go on the Mono's, they can go on the HSU's and they can also go on the SVS's. What's important in my opinion is the customer service that you get from that company and how quick they take care the problem!! So keep that in mind as well. I would definitely go for more than 90 day warranty though.


That is true. But this product seems to be at the level of a recall. So not totally a fair comparison.

But I agree all companies have failures, what matters is how they deal with it.

I am feeling the same way about the 90 day warranty. So short.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #25 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,054
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2664 Post(s)
Liked: 2469
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Brent Butterworth didn't even mention the VTF2 in his review but compared it to the larger HSUVTF-15H Mk2 and felt the Klipsch held up pretty well against that sub in real world use.

https://hometheaterreview.com/klipsc...viewed/?page=2

I know he didn't mention the VTF-2 mk5, mainly because it didn't exist at the time of this review. Just sayin'. The MK5 is a noticeable improvement over the MK4.

Subs>RBH I-12e, I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL Studio 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5bs. Polk RTiA1/CSiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, MDR-V6, XB900n, XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. Philips SHP9500. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4. TB Stealth300. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. HK Onyx Studio4(x2).
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #26 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,256
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
I know he didn't mention the VTF-2 mk5, mainly because it didn't exist at the time of this review. Just sayin'. The MK5 is a noticeable improvement over the MK4.


But we're still talking 12 vs 15 correct?

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #27 of 32 Old 08-20-2019, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gtgray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,822
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 View Post
Yeah thats what I am hearing the guy I have in mind is authorized. But he is selling B-Stocks for the price you listed at fry's. He is even doing some testing on them to check the amps. He said they usually go really soon, was that your experience?

Although since they are b-stock they carry a 90 day warranty. That seems pretty sketchy given all the issues, even if they are quick to deal with the problem a back ordered amp is no amp. At least while you wait. That would suck for someone like me that would just have 1 of them.

I might take a gamble if I could get it down towards $400. But if I am paying upwards of $600 I think I would just go with HSU.
Open box stuff from Klipsch is 90 day warranty. I don't know what B-stock means in this sellers case. My amp failed with sub idling. Very light usage. The amp is clearly under-engineered in the area of failure. Small traces and wimpy caps.

Last edited by gtgray; 08-20-2019 at 07:35 PM.
gtgray is offline  
post #28 of 32 Old 08-24-2019, 01:23 PM
Member
 
Losifanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Just bought 2 of the klipsch r115sw subs($399 each). I have 2 HSU Vtf2 mk5 subs also. Both are amazing. There is some differences in how they sound and how they look. The klipsch looks better and looks like its built better. The hsu seems to dig a little deeper but the klipsch seems a little louder and hit a little more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190824_145704_1566677273021.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	2606706   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190407_210455_1566678137385.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	2606716  
Losifanatic is online now  
post #29 of 32 Old 08-24-2019, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
whiteboy714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 6,256
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1056 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losifanatic View Post
Just bought 2 of the klipsch r115sw subs($399 each). I have 2 HSU Vtf2 mk5 subs also. Both are amazing. There is some differences in how they sound and how they look. The klipsch looks better and looks like its built better. The hsu seems to dig a little deeper but the klipsch seems a little louder and hit a little more.


Thanks man. Did you happen to buy those subs off of Cody?

Thanks for the comparison. If the price was equal and you had to get one what would you get?

I'm looking for some good in your gut bass in movies.

Samsung 55MU6290 -- Denon X1400h -- Klipsch RP600m -- RP450C -- Micca M-6S 6.5 -- Dual Klipsch RW-10
whiteboy714 is online now  
post #30 of 32 Old 08-24-2019, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Losifanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I picked them up from Cory Harrison at Paducah Home Theater.
The klipsch just looks like it's more premium than the hsu. Dont get me wrong I love my vtf2 but man the r115sw is nice to look at. If I had to choose I would buy the klipsch simply because of overall look since their performance is very similar.
Losifanatic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off