Harmon Kardon SB-16 Subwoofer without the soundbar - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-18-2019, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Harmon Kardon SB-16 Subwoofer without the soundbar

Hello, I picked up a Harmon Kardon SB-16 wireless subwoofer from a Goodwill. I already have a Harmon Kardon TS-15 Wired Subwoofer for another receiver, which I really like and it looks identical and I (stupidly) assumed this SB-16 was the same. When I got home I realized the SB-16 is a wireless sub-woofer and typically would come included with a Harmon Kardon SB-16 Soundbar.

So my question is: is there anyway to get the SB-16 Subwoofer to work with a receiver - WITHOUT the accompanied soundbar? Perhaps some sort of transmitter device that hooks up to the preamp/subwoofer RCA jack on my receiver? Assuming HK isn't using some proprietary wireless standard...?

Thank you

-Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-22-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

In case someone else runs into this question, here is the response from HK support:

Quote:
We do apologize for the delayed response. We also appreciate the time on reaching this concern to us. However, the sub-woofer for the said unit only works with the soundbar. It doesn't have any option to connect it to the receiver at all. I know this unit is very important to you, but it will not work without it's soundbar. We highly recommend to return the item to the store where you purchase it.
Bummer
post #3 of 3 Old 03-29-2020, 06:24 PM

Hey, I'm in the same boat. I got a sb 16 for free, can't find the subwoofer on eBay or anywhere.

Want to join forces and try to hack it? My idea is to open it up, find a "line out" trace that goes to the subwoofer transmitter, and solder a rca connector on it. Then scavenge a cheap subwoofer somewhere. Boom.

I would love a buddy on this project! Even if all you do is cheerlead and copy me if I succeed.

I'm in Sydney. Josh at Whitkin dot com if you're up for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Harmon Kardon , subwoofer , wireless , wireless subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page