Need some sub, what setup would you choose? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan P
  • 1 Post By Dave Ol
  • 1 Post By dpc716
  • 2 Post By imureh
  • 4 Post By imureh
  • 1 Post By Dave Ol
  • 1 Post By Dave Ol
  • 1 Post By imureh
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Far Away!
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Need some sub, what setup would you choose?

Hey guys, so i was going to invest some money to get my subs, but i decided to go a little nuts on the "investment"...

so... i left behind the idea of a $800 subs. and move to the next level i think

My possible setups:

2 SVS SB-3000

or

2 SVS PB-3000

or

1 SB-16 ULTRA

The only reason i have the SB & PB in the same equation, is because i would like to hear your opinions about how great the PB are above the SV, having 2... im guessing the sealed ones are going to be almost as good as the ported ones... and i could save some $$$ is just that, dont matter the space...

What i really like about the ULTRA... is that is huge and is same power in one peace... but some say that two subs are better than one... and since my budget is US 2K+- , also i like the front panel...

(thanks to a post i opened in the receivers section, i have already ordered my Receiver, so the help from the forum is needed )


Looking forward for your positive comments! Cheers in advance!

-------------------
STICKY INFO:

If you still seek more guidance after you have exhausted the AVS Subwoofer Forum Archives, then proceed to begin a thread with the following criteria answered as fully as possible.

1. Your budget.

1800 - 2400 USD.

2. Size requirements/limits.
Sky is the limit

3. Room dimensions.
With doors closed: 2648.6 ft3
With doors open: 22601.387 ft3 - because is a loft... so not always will be closed... but we can accomodate to the calculations with the closed doors.

4. Primary uses.
75% Music
25% Movies, Games.


5. Listening habits.
I would love to feel the base in my chest, clothes, hair, etc. windows to shake, probably my beer to dance with me! I hear a lot of rap, rnb, EDM, so lot of base.

not sure where this goes,... but i really like the bluetooth configuration from SVS, if this could cause a problem in the future, please advice and i could go back to analog subs.


6. Appearance requirements.
Want it to look nice SVS which are the ones in the equation, i really like them. Love monolith design.

7. Timeframe.

Next month top.

Last edited by julitro; 08-20-2019 at 02:15 PM.
julitro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 11,613
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6282 Post(s)
Liked: 5614
You're going to need to give us more info before we can make any sensible recommendations for you.

Copy and pasted from this sticky at the top of the forum:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you still seek more guidance after you have exhausted the AVS Subwoofer Forum Archives, then proceed to begin a thread with the following criteria answered as fully as possible.

1. Your budget. This seems like an obvious thing to state when seeking advice, but many people neglect to mention this anywhere. If you have a budget of $200 but don't mention this and say you want awesome performance, you'll be getting a lot of suggestions for PB13 Ultras, Conquests, F113's, etc. Please cut down the frustration for everyone and simply state a budget range, preferably making it clear to those who desire to help you whether or not this budget includes shipping and taxes

2. Size requirements/limits. If you say you have a $700 budget but fail to inform us that you need a 10" cube form factor, you can rest assured you'll be receiving recommendations for Epik Knights, eD A5-350's, MFW-15's, etc, none of which will come anywhere close to meeting your need for a tiny box. When size matters, please say so!

3. Room dimensions. If you have a 10,000 cubic foot room and a $150 budget, chances are we can't help much. Still, room dimensions can make a big impact on recommendations. Small subs like the SVS SB12 Plus are great subs for music and pretty good for HT, but they'll prove to be insufficient in huge rooms.

4. Primary uses. Given a certain budget, one sub might be a better choice for HT, while another might be a better sub for music. Of course quality subs can do both well. Still, giving an estimate of usage (example: 60% HT/TV viewing, 30% music, 10% gaming) will help others give better recommendations.

5. Listening habits. Listening habits can dictate what sub you'll need. Many AVS members are a bit excessive with their bass requirements and desires (myself included). However, not everyone needs two Epik Conquests in their 2500 cubic foot room. If you realistically won't be listening at really high volumes, say so. On the other hand, if you like to watch concert DVDs at SPL levels that make live concerts seem tame by comparison, we need to know that too.

6. Appearance requirements. Some people have no problem putting a huge box with a rough, black cabinet in their dedicated home theater. Others need a nicely finished cabinet to fit well in the family room. Please make any aesthetic requirements known so those giving advice will be better able to assist you.

7. Timeframe. There are many new subwoofer manufacturers that sell direct over the internet and have enjoyed extremely high popularity in a very short time span. Unfortunately, this has caused severe backorders on their products, as they have not been able to keep up with demand. Try to let us know if getting the sub right away is a priority, as it might affect the suggestions you receive depending on whether or not certain companies are backlogged.
darthray likes this.
Alan P is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 02:03 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Ol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Good to see you are looking at some good subs. However, in order to help you out we need a little more information such as:

- What size is the room?
- What do you normally listen to? Movies, music? How much of each?
- What other equipment are you pairing up with the subs?
- What main volume (MV) do you listen at?
- Are you looking for earth shattering bass that goes low and will punch you in the gut?
- Are you on a suspended floor or concrete?
- Are you in a house or apartment with common walls/floors with neighbors?

I think this will help us to better make a recommendation for you. Lastly, is there a reason you are only looking at SVS? Not that they aren't great subs, but there are others that may fit your bill better (and wallet) if we know the answers to the above.
darthray likes this.

Last edited by Dave Ol; 08-20-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Dave Ol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Far Away!
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You're going to need to give us more info before we can make any sensible recommendations for you.

Copy and pasted from this sticky at the top of the forum:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sorry forgot to add all! added now! thanks.
julitro is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Far Away!
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ol View Post
Good to see you are looking at some good subs. However, in order to help you out we need a little more information such as:

- What size is the room?
With doors closed: 2648.6 ft3
With doors open: 22601.387 ft3 - because is a loft... so not always will be closed... but we can accomodate to the calculations with the closed doors.
- What do you normally listen to? Movies, music? How much of each?
75% Music (RAP, Trap, r&b, Hip-Hop, EDM, House... all with base! )
25% Movies, Games.
- What other equipment are you pairing up with the subs?
2 floor speakers Klipsch 6"
2 Bookshelf speakers Rp600M (other two in the future)
1 Klipsch center speaker RP500C
- What main volume (MV) do you listen at?
30 - 50% and a few songs i go to 80!
- Are you looking for earth shattering bass that goes low and will punch you in the gut?
Yes please!
- Are you on a suspended floor or concrete?
Home is a concrete loft with brick walls
- Are you in a house or apartment with common walls/floors with neighbors?
own walls, own floors, no worries about the neighbors.

I think this will help us to better make a recommendation for you. Lastly, is there a reason you are only looking at SVS? Not that they aren't great subs, but there are others that may fit your bill better (and wallet) if we know the answers to the above.

I like their design... i have found from the price... they give the most i need... 1) power, 2) design, and 3) Modern technologies, i say tech because of the blue tooth app to manage their subs... also from their 16" voice coil tech... 8", which makes sense... The other brand i found interesting regarding power for the money was HSU, but the design is not my favorite, and i really want the sub to look nice at home,,, i really love Klipsch sub design... but.... not enough power and tech. I like their speakers tho.

Thanks for taking the time Cheers!
Hey @Dave Ol , so, i have added the sticky info to my original poste... And... here you go inline above:

Last edited by julitro; 08-20-2019 at 02:35 PM.
julitro is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
dpc716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 629
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 199
For 75% music, within the SVS lineup I'd look at sealed. 2 SB3000's should have comparable output to a single Ultra (the Ultra maybe a bit less), but the Ultra uses the flagship driver so there's at least the possibility that at higher volumes the Ultra might sound a little better. I would ask the folks at SVS if in their opinion there would be a sound quality improvement with the Ultra vs the 3000 series. I can't say one way or the other.


My vote would be the single SB Ultra, if for no other reason that with the 3000's you're maxed out so to speak, whereas you could always add another Ultra down the road if you wanted to.
julitro likes this.
dpc716 is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Far Away!
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
For 75% music, within the SVS lineup I'd look at sealed. 2 SB3000's should have comparable output to a single Ultra (the Ultra maybe a bit less), but the Ultra uses the flagship driver so there's at least the possibility that at higher volumes the Ultra might sound a little better. I would ask the folks at SVS if in their opinion there would be a sound quality improvement with the Ultra vs the 3000 series. I can't say one way or the other.


My vote would be the single SB Ultra, if for no other reason that with the 3000's you're maxed out so to speak, whereas you could always add another Ultra down the road if you wanted to.

You are right, ill ask SVS will see what they have to say... Adding a second Ultra, would be a dream... maybe in 10 years really, now is the time to spend in this equipment... and thats it, thats why im doing my homework... but true, adding an ULTRA should be the best possibility in the future... thank you sir! (beer)

Music lover! DIY enthusiast!
julitro is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,485
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2804 Post(s)
Liked: 3478
Quote:
Originally Posted by julitro View Post
You are right, ill ask SVS will see what they have to say... Adding a second Ultra, would be a dream... maybe in 10 years really, now is the time to spend in this equipment... and thats it, thats why im doing my homework... but true, adding an ULTRA should be the best possibility in the future... thank you sir! (beer)
How about looking at Rythmik, JTR, PSA? They have some great offerings. The JTR 118HT is probably the only one close to your budget from the JTR line up, however multiple sub offerings from Rythmik and PSA
d-rail34 and darthray like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Far Away!
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
How about looking at Rythmik, JTR, PSA? They have some great offerings. The JTR 118HT is probably the only one close to your budget from the JTR line up, however multiple sub offerings from Rythmik and PSA
Visited PSA, but nothing moved my guts... and i was checking the Rythmik website a before posting, and checking a sub they have that is around my budget, couldn't find how much end power it has, just the amp power, maybe i didn't quite understand their website or that info wasn't there, from design stand point their subs looks interesting, just couldn't find all the info i wanted, but thanks for the input sir! .... this is the one i was checking from Rythmik... G25HP LOOKS LIKE A BEAST... it is tho a bit above my budget.

Music lover! DIY enthusiast!

Last edited by julitro; 08-20-2019 at 06:29 PM.
julitro is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,485
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2804 Post(s)
Liked: 3478
Quote:
Originally Posted by julitro View Post
Visited PSA, but nothing moved my guts... and i was checking the Rythmik website a before posting, and checking a sub they have that is around my budget, couldn't find how much end power it has, just the amp power, maybe i didn't quite understand their website or that info wasn't there, from design stand point their subs looks interesting, just couldn't find all the info i wanted, but thanks for the input sir!
The Rythmiks are very good subs especially for music. SVS is always a fair choice but I think you can get more performance for the dollar from Rythmik, PSA and JTR. You should ask any questions about Rythmiks on the owner thread and many of us can help including enrico from Rythmik. I would not close the chapter on these brands yet till you get all your answers

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Far Away!
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
The Rythmiks are very good subs especially for music. SVS is always a fair choice but I think you can get more performance for the dollar from Rythmik, PSA and JTR. You should ask any questions about Rythmiks on the owner thread and many of us can help including enrico from Rythmik. I would not close the chapter on these brands yet till you get all your answers
Will check out there, will see how it goes, i like their design, just maybe i havnt seen enough info regarding their subs... or review videos... will take a look, thanks again... (THIS IS what i was checking from them: G25HP looks like a beast!)

Music lover! DIY enthusiast!
julitro is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,485
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2804 Post(s)
Liked: 3478
Quote:
Originally Posted by julitro View Post
Will check out there, will see how it goes, i like their design, just maybe i havnt seen enough info regarding their subs... or review videos... will take a look, thanks again... (THIS IS what i was checking from them: G25HP looks like a beast!)
That is certainly one of the highest regarded sub in their line according to even reviewers like Jim Wilson. That is a great sub if going sealed. Ported wise you can go with a FV18 or FV25HP or if smaller size is needed the FV15HP

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Far Away!
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
That is certainly one of the highest regarded sub in their line according to even reviewers like Jim Wilson. That is a great sub if going sealed. Ported wise you can go with a FV18 or FV25HP or if smaller size is needed the FV15HP
Will be checking this ones: "FV18 or FV25HP or if smaller size is needed the FV15HP" will see how it goes...

Music lover! DIY enthusiast!
julitro is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 08-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Ol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by julitro View Post
Hey @Dave Ol , so, i have added the sticky info to my original poste... And... here you go inline above:

Originally Posted by Dave Ol
Good to see you are looking at some good subs. However, in order to help you out we need a little more information such as:

- What size is the room?
With doors closed: 2648.6 ft3
With doors open: 22601.387 ft3 - because is a loft... so not always will be closed... but we can accomodate to the calculations with the closed doors.
- What do you normally listen to? Movies, music? How much of each?
75% Music (RAP, Trap, r&b, Hip-Hop, EDM, House... all with base! )
25% Movies, Games.
- What other equipment are you pairing up with the subs?
2 floor speakers Klipsch 6"
2 Bookshelf speakers Rp600M (other two in the future)
1 Klipsch center speaker RP500C
- What main volume (MV) do you listen at?
30 - 50% and a few songs i go to 80!
- Are you looking for earth shattering bass that goes low and will punch you in the gut?
Yes please!
- Are you on a suspended floor or concrete?
Home is a concrete loft with brick walls
- Are you in a house or apartment with common walls/floors with neighbors?
own walls, own floors, no worries about the neighbors.

I think this will help us to better make a recommendation for you. Lastly, is there a reason you are only looking at SVS? Not that they aren't great subs, but there are others that may fit your bill better (and wallet) if we know the answers to the above.

I like their design... i have found from the price... they give the most i need... 1) power, 2) design, and 3) Modern technologies, i say tech because of the blue tooth app to manage their subs... also from their 16" voice coil tech... 8", which makes sense... The other brand i found interesting regarding power for the money was HSU, but the design is not my favorite, and i really want the sub to look nice at home,,, i really love Klipsch sub design... but.... not enough power and tech. I like their speakers tho.

Thanks for taking the time Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julitro View Post
Visited PSA, but nothing moved my guts... and i was checking the Rythmik website a before posting, and checking a sub they have that is around my budget, couldn't find how much end power it has, just the amp power, maybe i didn't quite understand their website or that info wasn't there, from design stand point their subs looks interesting, just couldn't find all the info i wanted, but thanks for the input sir! .... this is the one i was checking from Rythmik... G25HP LOOKS LIKE A BEAST... it is tho a bit above my budget.

Because you are 75% music, a sealed sub might do. And the SVS SB16 Ultra is a great sub for for music. However, you also mention you want earth shattering bass and you have some things working against you on this front. One, you are on concrete. A ported sub will give you more of that earth shattering bass on concrete. Also, with the doors open you need more output - again pointing towards ported.

I'll give you a little info on my sub journey for what it is worth. I am on concrete with a very large open floor plan. I started out with an SVS SB16 Ultra. As I mentioned above, a very fine sub indeed. However, I am 98% movies and I was lacking that low extension earth shattering bass. So I moved up to a JTR 2400 (not the ULF version). With the JTR, I had the low extension earth shattering bass, but I felt I lost some of the mid bass that the SVS had. When PSA introduced the TV36 series of subs, I jumped on the ipal version (dual 18 inch pro audio drivers). With this sub, I kept the low extension earth shattering bass of the JTR and got the mid bass slam back. Pro audio drivers just deliver a very clean bass. I'm not sure the foot print you are looking for in a sub, but if you can fit it, a TV36 neo (one step down from the ipal but still an excellent pro audio driver) might be one to consider. I believe you can still get it at the intro price of $2599 delivered. A little out of your price range, but you won't be sorry. And as many others on this forum have said, always buy the best single sub you can afford, and add a second later down the road when you can afford it.

Another good choice in your price range is a ported Rythmik FV18 or the JTR 118HT. Again, the SVS SB16 Ultra is no slouch. I just think ported may be better for you due to the reasons I have listed above (and the fact that I have recently gone through the same journey). Food for thought.
darthray likes this.
Dave Ol is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 08-21-2019, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Far Away!
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ol View Post
Originally Posted by Dave Ol
Good to see you are looking at some good subs. However, in order to help you out we need a little more information such as:

- What size is the room?
With doors closed: 2648.6 ft3
With doors open: 22601.387 ft3 - because is a loft... so not always will be closed... but we can accomodate to the calculations with the closed doors.
- What do you normally listen to? Movies, music? How much of each?
75% Music (RAP, Trap, r&b, Hip-Hop, EDM, House... all with base! )
25% Movies, Games.
- What other equipment are you pairing up with the subs?
2 floor speakers Klipsch 6"
2 Bookshelf speakers Rp600M (other two in the future)
1 Klipsch center speaker RP500C
- What main volume (MV) do you listen at?
30 - 50% and a few songs i go to 80!
- Are you looking for earth shattering bass that goes low and will punch you in the gut?
Yes please!
- Are you on a suspended floor or concrete?
Home is a concrete loft with brick walls
- Are you in a house or apartment with common walls/floors with neighbors?
own walls, own floors, no worries about the neighbors.

I think this will help us to better make a recommendation for you. Lastly, is there a reason you are only looking at SVS? Not that they aren't great subs, but there are others that may fit your bill better (and wallet) if we know the answers to the above.

I like their design... i have found from the price... they give the most i need... 1) power, 2) design, and 3) Modern technologies, i say tech because of the blue tooth app to manage their subs... also from their 16" voice coil tech... 8", which makes sense... The other brand i found interesting regarding power for the money was HSU, but the design is not my favorite, and i really want the sub to look nice at home,,, i really love Klipsch sub design... but.... not enough power and tech. I like their speakers tho.

Thanks for taking the time Cheers!




Because you are 75% music, a sealed sub might do. And the SVS SB16 Ultra is a great sub for for music. However, you also mention you want earth shattering bass and you have some things working against you on this front. One, you are on concrete. A ported sub will give you more of that earth shattering bass on concrete. Also, with the doors open you need more output - again pointing towards ported.

I'll give you a little info on my sub journey for what it is worth. I am on concrete with a very large open floor plan. I started out with an SVS SB16 Ultra. As I mentioned above, a very fine sub indeed. However, I am 98% movies and I was lacking that low extension earth shattering bass. So I moved up to a JTR 2400 (not the ULF version). With the JTR, I had the low extension earth shattering bass, but I felt I lost some of the mid bass that the SVS had. When PSA introduced the TV36 series of subs, I jumped on the ipal version (dual 18 inch pro audio drivers). With this sub, I kept the low extension earth shattering bass of the JTR and got the mid bass slam back. Pro audio drivers just deliver a very clean bass. I'm not sure the foot print you are looking for in a sub, but if you can fit it, a TV36 neo (one step down from the ipal but still an excellent pro audio driver) might be one to consider. I believe you can still get it at the intro price of $2599 delivered. A little out of your price range, but you won't be sorry. And as many others on this forum have said, always buy the best single sub you can afford, and add a second later down the road when you can afford it.

Another good choice in your price range is a ported Rythmik FV18 or the JTR 118HT. Again, the SVS SB16 Ultra is no slouch. I just think ported may be better for you due to the reasons I have listed above (and the fact that I have recently gone through the same journey). Food for thought.
Hello there! shanks for the input! so i have a pair of SANSUI 750X speakers... those come with a huge low speaker they sound.... i would say "delicious" i can feel that low in my floor and around 50% of their volume i would say, since they are vintage i dont like to put so much volume on them, but they do sound sweet, my concrete floor is 13cmm thick my roof is the same and my first floor is also concrete, since my home is basically a cube... i dont know if that helps or not to the sound... with the time we have been adding more stuff to the house making the echo go away lol but this sound good, i guess i was just trying to tell that probably a SUB will really rock the entire house, probably i just hope im not making too much good ideas about the result. My friend for what i read you have invested a lot in your sub selection kudos to that!

Will check the options you mentioned there probably makes sense to add one big sub now, and a later if feel i need more i can add another one... but lets see what the little devil insides me decides lol again.

Question, is there a particular tech reason on why the PORTED SUB would work better on a concrete house? or is a matter of how you found out that was better, im trying to understand here... either way i have read that the ported ones if you put the plugs they can basically improve for music.

Ill have to say that will spend the rest of the week checking product info of the subs you mentioned and also video reviews to get to know them, and add them to my excel sheet to compare.


Cheers man! will get to do my work in order to pay for the goodies! Later!.

Music lover! DIY enthusiast!
julitro is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 08-21-2019, 12:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Ol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 204
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by julitro View Post
Hello there! shanks for the input! so i have a pair of SANSUI 750X speakers... those come with a huge low speaker they sound.... i would say "delicious" i can feel that low in my floor and around 50% of their volume i would say, since they are vintage i dont like to put so much volume on them, but they do sound sweet, my concrete floor is 13cmm thick my roof is the same and my first floor is also concrete, since my home is basically a cube... i dont know if that helps or not to the sound... with the time we have been adding more stuff to the house making the echo go away lol but this sound good, i guess i was just trying to tell that probably a SUB will really rock the entire house, probably i just hope im not making too much good ideas about the result. My friend for what i read you have invested a lot in your sub selection kudos to that!

Will check the options you mentioned there probably makes sense to add one big sub now, and a later if feel i need more i can add another one... but lets see what the little devil insides me decides lol again.

Question, is there a particular tech reason on why the PORTED SUB would work better on a concrete house? or is a matter of how you found out that was better, im trying to understand here... either way i have read that the ported ones if you put the plugs they can basically improve for music.

Ill have to say that will spend the rest of the week checking product info of the subs you mentioned and also video reviews to get to know them, and add them to my excel sheet to compare.


Cheers man! will get to do my work in order to pay for the goodies! Later!.

Thanks for the better description of your house. It sounds as if it is pretty solid all the way around with concrete meaning it makes it more difficult to get a good tactile response from a sealed sub. Which leads me to your second question - why is a ported sub better for a concrete house. First off, a ported sub should give you much more tactile response and that earth shattering bass you are looking for. This is because a ported sub inherently produces relatively more low-frequency SPL than sealed subwoofers do along with a 'heavier" or "more weight" to the sound. With regards to the floor, a suspended wood floor conducts low-frequency vibrations much better than concrete can. Suspended wood floors can amplify the overall low-bass that we perceive, especially in a small room, and give you a more tactile response.

I hope this helps. I am by no means an expert on the subject, and others might be able to share more light on it.
Alan P likes this.
Dave Ol is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 08-22-2019, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Far Away!
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Ol View Post
Thanks for the better description of your house. It sounds as if it is pretty solid all the way around with concrete meaning it makes it more difficult to get a good tactile response from a sealed sub. Which leads me to your second question - why is a ported sub better for a concrete house. First off, a ported sub should give you much more tactile response and that earth shattering bass you are looking for. This is because a ported sub inherently produces relatively more low-frequency SPL than sealed subwoofers do along with a 'heavier" or "more weight" to the sound. With regards to the floor, a suspended wood floor conducts low-frequency vibrations much better than concrete can. Suspended wood floors can amplify the overall low-bass that we perceive, especially in a small room, and give you a more tactile response.

I hope this helps. I am by no means an expert on the subject, and others might be able to share more light on it.
Thanks for all the info you are sharing definitely every day one keep learning, will get back with more questions by the weekend for sure.

Music lover! DIY enthusiast!
julitro is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 08-22-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
spyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,503
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
That is certainly one of the highest regarded sub in their line according to even reviewers like Jim Wilson. That is a great sub if going sealed. Ported wise you can go with a FV18 or FV25HP or if smaller size is needed the FV15HP
Get the Rythmik FV18. One of only a few subs with usable output at 10Hz.
spyboy is online now  
post #19 of 20 Old 08-22-2019, 05:46 PM
Member
 
MisterAmazing's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
As some of the people above said, JTR, PSA, RYTHMIK > SVS.


just FYI JTR just released their RS1 (sealed) sub for $2209. the 2400 is now $1999 (you might want to check if this is still the case)
In my opinion JTR is the best out there. I have 2x 2400ULF subs.


PSA always seems to impress as well. They have a few new subs out there as well.


Rythmik has been heralded as the best for music, but I wouldn't count out the RS1. It might actually top anything Rythmik has for sealed.


as a tip, you do get more tactile response out of two subs if you have the headroom. However you only get an extra 6db out of a second one. Keep that in mind.

Cheers,
Gavin


Subwoofers: 2x JTR Captivator 2400ULF Speakers: 4x PSA MT-110, 1x PSA MTM-210C, 4x Klipsch RP-500SA
Receiver: Denon x4400h Projector: Epson 5040UB
MisterAmazing is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,485
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2804 Post(s)
Liked: 3478
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterAmazing View Post
As some of the people above said, JTR, PSA, RYTHMIK > SVS.


just FYI JTR just released their RS1 (sealed) sub for $2209. the 2400 is now $1999 (you might want to check if this is still the case)
In my opinion JTR is the best out there. I have 2x 2400ULF subs.


PSA always seems to impress as well. They have a few new subs out there as well.


Rythmik has been heralded as the best for music, but I wouldn't count out the RS1. It might actually top anything Rythmik has for sealed.


as a tip, you do get more tactile response out of two subs if you have the headroom. However you only get an extra 6db out of a second one. Keep that in mind.
More TR due to Headroom? Only 6db? Can't compute either of those statements
d-rail34 likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off