Question about two wireless subs an auto setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Talking Question about two wireless subs an auto setup

Im thinking of getting a second wireless sub. My receive is a Denon 540bt. It has sub one an sub two , but it is really just a y connection. My question is will I have problems with phase or timing or for that matter anything im not thinking of. Because I know the auto setup will see the two subs as one an set only one distance for both subs. Even though there are two. Thanks for any replys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Oh sub one is 3 ft away the outher wireless sub will be 12ft away or about that.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 1606
The 540bt won't know about 2 subs. It can only set a single delay (distance). I don't know what you'll get.

For a wireless sub, the detected range may be greater than the physical range, due to latency in the wireless adapter. (Example: I used an Outlaw Audio OWA-4 adapter. Roughly 10 millisecond latency. Gives about 1 foot per millisecond.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
The 540bt won't know about 2 subs. It can only set a single delay (distance). I don't know what you'll get.

For a wireless sub, the detected range may be greater than the physical range, due to latency in the wireless adapter. (Example: I used an Outlaw Audio OWA-4 adapter. Roughly 10 millisecond latency. Gives about 1 foot per millisecond.)
Yea I get 24.4 feet when its only 3.5 ft so I know what you mean about the distance. Just wish I knew if Id have other problems , maybe someone will know. Thanks .
post #5 of 7 Old 08-22-2019, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2247 Post(s)
Liked: 1606
In the long tradition of spending other people's money, the Denon AVR-X3400H (2017) or X3500H (2018) are their lowest-end models that support 2 subs, semi-independently equalized. (Range and volume are found for each, after which they are equalized as one.)

You get Audyssey XT32 as a bonus. Plus a full set of pre-outs.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-23-2019, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a Marantz SR-7012 AVR and two SVS PB-4000s. I use two separate SVS SoundPath wireless kits to connect the subs to the AVR's 2 sub outs. When I calibrated with Audyssey, at the first listening position, it sends the test tones to each sub separately, and then a third time together. (My Audyssey version is XT-32). For the remaining 7 positions, it pings the subs together. My subs are in opposite diagonal corners of my large (24' x 24') square room, and my MLP sofa is in the center of the room, so I am sitting equidistant from both subs. Audyssey set the distances of the subs at 28 feet and 43 feet. I believe the difference is because of the different distances between the wireless transmitters and their respective receivers, not the distances of the subs themselves.

As long as your AVR can handle these longer distances, any latencies/delays that are introduced should be taken care of when you are calibrating. Wireless is not ideal, but in my case it is necessary if I want two subs. It's probably not a good idea to run one wired and one wireless, although I could do that in my room.

"I will drag you, kicking and screaming if I have to, into the modern world!" -- Peter the Great
Samsung Q9FN(65"), Marantz SR-7012, Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3, Pioneer LX-500, Def Tech BP2000,
CS9040, SR9080, SVS PB-13 Ultra, PSB Imagine XA, Panamax M5300
post #7 of 7 Old 08-23-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25690 View Post
I have a Marantz SR-7012 AVR and two SVS PB-4000s. I use two separate SVS SoundPath wireless kits to connect the subs to the AVR's 2 sub outs. When I calibrated with Audyssey, at the first listening position, it sends the test tones to each sub separately, and then a third time together. (My Audyssey version is XT-32). For the remaining 7 positions, it pings the subs together. My subs are in opposite diagonal corners of my large (24' x 24') square room, and my MLP sofa is in the center of the room, so I am sitting equidistant from both subs. Audyssey set the distances of the subs at 28 feet and 43 feet. I believe the difference is because of the different distances between the wireless transmitters and their respective receivers, not the distances of the subs themselves.

As long as your AVR can handle these longer distances, any latencies/delays that are introduced should be taken care of when you are calibrating. Wireless is not ideal, but in my case it is necessary if I want two subs. It's probably not a good idea to run one wired and one wireless, although I could do that in my room.
Actually not sure why you get such different distances if both are equidistant to audyssey mic position 1 during setup. The only delays involved are 1) distance from sub to mic (sound moves relatively slowly), 2) delay from sub amp/dsp, 3) delay from wireless device itself, not distance from receiver to transmitter. Distance between wireless transmitter/receiver is irrelevant as radio waves travel at the speed of light.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page