• 6 Post By dbissett
  • 1 Post By Leon!

post #1 of 8 Old 09-08-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Case of Disappearing Bass

I need help with a weird problem. I have had a PSA S1500 sub for a couple of years, mostly listening to music, and several months ago began to notice that the bass was really weak. Before then I'd had the gain set at about 50%, which was plenty of bass.....you could really hear the bass in music. But then it dropped off to almost nothing, and I needed to set the gain to nearly max, and even then I could barely hear bass coming from the sub. I could actually hear more bass coming from my BMR speakers than the sub. I contacted Tom at PSA and he said he'd check the amp for me. Then yesterday I turned on the Godzilla movie, first movie in months, and the bass almost knocked me out of the room (it was still turned to max). Had to turn the gain down to the old 50% and the sound was fine. So what's going on? The sub is fine but there's something else in the signal path that's the problem. But I have no idea what. The entire path is an old cheap Sony DVD/CD player, and Outlaw 975/5000 combo. Where could the bass in music be lost?

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-08-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 2724
Forgive me as i'm a noob when it comes to the Outlaw 975 other than knowing it has no room correction, but i'll take a shot at this. The fact Godzilla crushed your sub rules out the sub as the problem as you also have determined. We know the .1 channel is working well. What format are you using for music because unless its a bluray concert or SACD there wont be a .1 signal sent to your sub.

So then your mains X-Over point will come into play as well any what ever other "music" setting options your 975 has,,, what are they set at? Also if you have an "all channel stereo" option have you tried that?

If your mains X-over is set below 80Hz set them back to 80Hz,,, if your 975 has (small or large) options on speaker settings set to small.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-08-2019, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbissett View Post
I need help with a weird problem. I have had a PSA S1500 sub for a couple of years, mostly listening to music, and several months ago began to notice that the bass was really weak. Before then I'd had the gain set at about 50%, which was plenty of bass.....you could really hear the bass in music. But then it dropped off to almost nothing, and I needed to set the gain to nearly max, and even then I could barely hear bass coming from the sub. I could actually hear more bass coming from my BMR speakers than the sub. I contacted Tom at PSA and he said he'd check the amp for me. Then yesterday I turned on the Godzilla movie, first movie in months, and the bass almost knocked me out of the room (it was still turned to max). Had to turn the gain down to the old 50% and the sound was fine. So what's going on? The sub is fine but there's something else in the signal path that's the problem. But I have no idea what. The entire path is an old cheap Sony DVD/CD player, and Outlaw 975/5000 combo. Where could the bass in music be lost?

David

I would double check the speaker settings (make sure set to small, crossover 80hz or higher). I would also check if the receiver is assigning some kind of playback mode to the CD player where the subs aren't getting any output directed to them. I use 2ch playback for my CD's, but the subs are assigned output in that mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-08-2019, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
I would double check the speaker settings (make sure set to small, crossover 80hz or higher). I would also check if the receiver is assigning some kind of playback mode to the CD player where the subs aren't getting any output directed to them. I use 2ch playback for my CD's, but the subs are assigned output in that mode.

Yeah, the processor is acting a bit funky....can't change surround modes at all. When I try the face just reads PCM, whereas the manual says it should access a number of different surround modes even when receiving 2 channel signal. And, in stereo mode it should be sending out a 2.1 signal, which is did until recently, and now is only 2.0. Will call Outlaw tomorrow.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-08-2019, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 2724
Quote:
Yeah, the processor is acting a bit funky....can't change surround modes at all. When I try the face just reads PCM, whereas the manual says it should access a number of different surround modes even when receiving 2 channel signal. And, in stereo mode it should be sending out a 2.1 signal, which is did until recently, and now is only 2.0. Will call Outlaw tomorrow.
Have you checked the audio output setting on your dvd player,, sometimes if power goes out or it gets unplugged it resorts to default setting which may be PCM,,,, check and try setting it to bitstream and see if that allows your audio settings in you outlaw to work.
RayGuy and bimmaguy like this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Turns out the Outlaw processor needed a reboot. Never happened before. But the bass is back, as are all the surround modes. Thanks for all the suggestions.

David
post #7 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Turns out the Outlaw processor needed a reboot. Never happened before. But the bass is back, as are all the surround modes. Thanks for all the suggestions.

David
I was going to say yesterday: when in dooubt, reboot.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 x 2 (upcoming) | Subwoofer TBD
post #8 of 8 Old 09-09-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
The Case of the Disappearing Bass
Worst. Hardy Boys plot. Ever.
Alan P likes this.
Sponsored Links