Klipsch R-120SW or SVS PB1000 subwoofer? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Leon!
  • 1 Post By Leon!

post #1 of 4 Old 09-09-2019, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Klipsch R-120SW or SVS PB1000 subwoofer?

I'm putting in my first surround sound system. I'm deciding between the 12" Klipsch 120SW subwoofer and the 10" PB1000. I'm in a 16' x 16' room with 8' ceilings, no big openings. I'm trying to stay under $500. I have Klipsch bookshelf speakers as my R and L, a Klipsch RP-500C and a pair of Klipsch RP-400m as my surrounds. I was initially looking at the Klipsch 12" sub - but have been reading positive reviews about the range and tone of the SVS PB1000. I'm in a rural area - with nowhere to listen to anything within 120 miles. Does anyone have any experience with these - and can offer any insights/recommendations? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-09-2019, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Marquis View Post
I'm putting in my first surround sound system. I'm deciding between the 12" Klipsch 120SW subwoofer and the 10" PB1000. I'm in a 16' x 16' room with 8' ceilings, no big openings. I'm trying to stay under $500. I have Klipsch bookshelf speakers as my R and L, a Klipsch RP-500C and a pair of Klipsch RP-400m as my surrounds. I was initially looking at the Klipsch 12" sub - but have been reading positive reviews about the range and tone of the SVS PB1000. I'm in a rural area - with nowhere to listen to anything within 120 miles. Does anyone have any experience with these - and can offer any insights/recommendations? Thank you!

If those are the only two choices, the SVS easy. Especially since you are isolated, their "bill of rights" makes an easy choice... would just go a little bigger, eg the pb12-nsd, pb2k at least.

Re: the klipschis I have a pair of R-120sw's, they are good not great. I upgraded from them within a month, record time for me. NOw they serve as speaker stands. Outstanding speaker stands, but not plugged into the system.
JediMindTrick likes this.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-09-2019, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! View Post
If those are the only two choices, the SVS easy. Especially since you are isolated, their "bill of rights" makes an easy choice... would just go a little bigger, eg the pb12-nsd, pb2k at least.

Re: the klipschis I have a pair of R-120sw's, they are good not great. I upgraded from them within a month, record time for me. NOw they serve as speaker stands. Outstanding speaker stands, but not plugged into the system.
Agree on the SVS; would get that without a doubt over the Klipsches (which like you said, are not bad by any means).

Off topic/more directed at you; any reason you don't use them as "MBM's?" I had a J112 with failed amp; bought an iNuke and some DIY subs, decided to use the J112 as an MBM (as it could not keep up with the other 2 on the low end). Really like the way it worked out (though it is easier to tweak the frequencies with an iNuke than the plate amp).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-09-2019, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
Agree on the SVS; would get that without a doubt over the Klipsches (which like you said, are not bad by any means).

Off topic/more directed at you; any reason you don't use them as "MBM's?" I had a J112 with failed amp; bought an iNuke and some DIY subs, decided to use the J112 as an MBM (as it could not keep up with the other 2 on the low end). Really like the way it worked out (though it is easier to tweak the frequencies with an iNuke than the plate amp).
MBM's... where you put them directly behind your seating, like right up against the back of your couch?

I guess I never seriously considered even trying, because my tv room is even smaller than OP's, and I overshot this upgrade so absurdly it feels like mid bass, tactile response etc. every kind of bass just as well covered as infrasonic pressure, but certainly they would have to add something.

Just would have to get motivated to move them around, get longer cables & splitters, figure out how to incorporate to avoid possible phase cancellations, I'm not great at that stuff, might mess up what I have... also I wasn't joking about, I am actually very satisfied with their performance as speaker stands lol. DOn't want to lose them for that. Great idea though, it might very well be even better than it is now. Just because i can't imagine it, doesn't mean it wouldn't be, thanks for the idea.
JediMindTrick likes this.

Last edited by Leon!; 09-09-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page