Looking For Some Help with LFE Setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 09-10-2019, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Looking For Some Help with LFE Setup

The receiver has two individually controlled sub-outs. Currently have a pair of 2 active subs in the front and a different pair of active subs in the back. Sub 1 from the receiver goes to the two in the front, and Sub 2 goes to the two in the back. Sub 2 also goes to a crown XLS1002 that powers 4 transducers. My plan was to add a miniDSP so i could EQ everything properly, but im confused about some things.

When i added the crown amp i was getting low output which i saw was a relatively common issue. I added a cleanbox which solved that issue. My first question is on the input sensitivity of the amp. Its adjustable form 1.4Vrms to .775Vrms. I changed it to .775 when i had low output because the manual suggested it for RCA connections, but now im not sure what it should be with the cleanbox and XLR connection.

Next thing im not sure about is which miniDSP to get. From what i can tell it seems i would need the balanced one for the amp, and an unbalanced one for the subwoofers. I think thats due to the input sensitivity of the subwoofers vs. the crown amp, but im not very clear on how that works. But if that is the case, then i would get the miniDSP HD and run sub1 into it, and 4 different outputs to each sub. Then connect the crown amp to sub2 by itself and forgo any DSP on it.

If it is possible to use the same miniDSP for the amp and subwoofers then i would "Y" connect the 2 rear subwoofers to the same output(they are located side by side and same distance from the MLP) and individually connect each of the front subwoofers, and the crown amp. This way i figure i can EQ everything to the best of my ability.

So, to sum up my main questions are:
1. What input sensitivity should the crown amp be set to with the cleanbox?
2. What is my best option for DSP? Is it better to just do the 4 subs and leave the amp alone connected to the receiver or is there benefit for DSP control of the amp/transducers also?
2. If my best option is to use a minidsp for all 4 subs and the crown amp then which miniDSP could do that?
3. Assuming there is a miniDSP that i could use for everything, I'm not sure how it works with the Crown Amp. Since i have to now use the cleanbox, can the mini replace the cleanbox and also fix my output issue? Im pretty sure its not a good idea to have a cleanbox and miniDSP in line together.

If there isnt an option of MiniDSP to use for both the subs, and amp then most of this is moot, and i think its pretty clear that a mini HD would suffice for the 4 subs as i laid out in my second paragraph. Sorry for the length of this post, and i appreciate any help. This input and output sensitivity is new to me and something ive never really had to pay attention to before.

Also, if im over thinking all of this let me know that too.

Daniel Wander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page