• 1 Post By KidHorn

post #1 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1280
Amp clicking

I have an epik empire and there's a clicking noise coming from the amp. It's always made a clicking noise on occasion, but now it does it much more frequently. I've read it might be the auto on/off engaging/disengaging. And I might be able to set it to on to prevent this, but I really don't want the amp on all the time. And if so, why is it suddenly acting up? I've also read horror stories about the amp smoking. The amp is not hot to the touch. actually feels cold. So maybe not a reason to be concerned. The sub is working. I can feel vibration on the driver.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked: 2791
Is the clicking only happening during playback, or is it doing this all the time even when not in use and the avr is off? Turn it to the "on" position and see if it stops, if it does then yes the auto on/off is acting up,,,,, the clicking is the relay.

First thing i'd try is to bump up the AVR sub trim. I dont know how yours is calibrated but if properly,,, you should have room to add 5/6DB's,,,,,, when doing that go to the sub amp and reduce output by the same 5/6DB's.

Another option if your sub has this feature is use the "12 volt trigger" plug and program your avr and when you shut off your avr it will shut off your sub, when your avr is on your sub is on full time bypassing the auto feature.

U can always open up the sub amp if all else fails and see if there is a fuse,,,,, as well as giving your avr a factory reset.
KidHorn likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It only happens when in use. Although sometimes I hear strange noises in the middle of the night, but that's nothing new. Maybe it's haunted.

I'll turn it to on and see what happens. I already bumped up the gain 6 DBs via the AVR. I like bass. I don't think the sub has a 12v trigger and I'm already using the one on my receiver for an external amp. I've read about remote control power strips. If the on works. That might be an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After bumping trim by 6DB's where is it set at?? As far as hearing noises from your sub through the night,,, is it possible there is a ground loop issue feeding the auto feature on the sub,,, or even an AC issue?

Been an Epick sub i'm guessing its getting long in the tooth???? maybe an excuse for a new sub.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #5 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

It's not a ground loop. I've had that issue before in another setup and that's not the sound I hear. It might be the relay kicking in due to my receiver not really ever completely turning off or just settling noises from cooling off.

I'm not against getting a new sub except it weighs a ton. 2 15" drivers. Must weigh well over 100 lbs. And I have 4 subs in the setup, so it might be a tough sell to the wife why I can't just live with 3.

I ordered a power strip off amazon that switches on and off if it detects a current on one of the plugs. Even if it's not needed, it was only $8 and it makes me feel safer if the amp is going bad. Less likely to cause a fire when I'm not home.
indebtbassfreak likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
It's not a ground loop. I've had that issue before in another setup and that's not the sound I hear. It might be the relay kicking in due to my receiver not really ever completely turning off or just settling noises from cooling off.

I'm not against getting a new sub except it weighs a ton. 2 15" drivers. Must weigh well over 100 lbs. And I have 4 subs in the setup, so it might be a tough sell to the wife why I can't just live with 3.

I ordered a power strip off amazon that switches on and off if it detects a current on one of the plugs. Even if it's not needed, it was only $8 and it makes me feel safer if the amp is going bad. Less likely to cause a fire when I'm not home.
Lol oh good lord yes thats a heck of a set up, Didn't realize. Yes i think if your AVR trim with the 6DB added is close to 0/-3 trim your sub should be receiving a hot enough voltage jolt to keep them on. The power strip is well worth the try. Good luck!!

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #7 of 11 Old 09-13-2019, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
I have an epik empire and there's a clicking noise coming from the amp. It's always made a clicking noise on occasion, but now it does it much more frequently. I've read it might be the auto on/off engaging/disengaging. And I might be able to set it to on to prevent this, but I really don't want the amp on all the time. And if so, why is it suddenly acting up? I've also read horror stories about the amp smoking. The amp is not hot to the touch. actually feels cold. So maybe not a reason to be concerned. The sub is working. I can feel vibration on the driver.

Any ideas or suggestions?

If you bought the Empire early on, you got an amp that I believe was the same as what was used in the initial Epik product line, and one that has a good track record. There appeared to be a switch somewhere along the line to a different amp which was the one that had the problems. So by all means use the new power strip, but if your sub's been working well all this time, I wouldn't worry about a fire or anything bad happening, at least it's no more likely than with anything else.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-13-2019, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
If you bought the Empire early on, you got an amp that I believe was the same as what was used in the initial Epik product line, and one that has a good track record. There appeared to be a switch somewhere along the line to a different amp which was the one that had the problems. So by all means use the new power strip, but if your sub's been working well all this time, I wouldn't worry about a fire or anything bad happening, at least it's no more likely than with anything else.
I bought it used for $550 from a local guy. Maybe in 2013. Can't remember exactly. I think the sub came out in 2010, so it was most likely one of the earlier ones.

What's strange is last night I didn't hear any clicking.

The day it was clicking we had a power outage for no apparent reason, so maybe the power company was fixing something and it was causing voltage fluctuations. I'll just wait and see if the problem returns.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I bought it used for $550 from a local guy. Maybe in 2013. Can't remember exactly. I think the sub came out in 2010, so it was most likely one of the earlier ones.

The day it was clicking we had a power outage for no apparent reason, so maybe the power company was fixing something and it was causing voltage fluctuations. I'll just wait and see if the problem returns.
Since you haven't posted in a few days,,,,,, i hope its good news and the clicking is still gone??

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
post #10 of 11 Old 09-17-2019, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Since you haven't posted in a few days,,,,,, i hope its good news and the clicking is still gone??
It happened again yesterday, but only for a few seconds. I'm going to wait and see if it becomes a persistent problem. If so, i'll hook up the new power strip.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-18-2019, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ghost in the machine

Quote:

If it keeps up, it's your power supply. Their design is similar to many modern SWPS amp plates (those six 63V caps just give it up over time). If left long enough - you'll bake your regulator I.C. path as well (hopefully long before the outputs try to short out and eat your coil!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page