REW subwoofer alignment Video using MiniDSP complete walk through! - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 105Likes

post #61 of 140 Old 11-02-2019, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghart999 View Post
Nice idea. However, I do not have a 2nd laptop I could use. What's this Wi-fi adapter you mention?
I'm referring to the WiFi adapter for the MiniDSP platform.

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 140 Old 11-05-2019, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
I mentioned above in this thread that being able to control the output of each sub is very helpful to me since I have four 12's nearfield and they sometimes rumble too much during regular TV. The 18" is not an issue. So I am thinking that I would really like to use both Sub outs from the AVR so I can control the level. I have a NX6000D, so no way to remotely control like the miniDSP can.

With that being said, what things would I need to consider when using both sub outs into the Behringer DSP? Thank you so much.
With 4 subs I'm guessing you have 2 NX6k amps for the 12s, what about the 18? Each sub needs it's own amp channel and DSP so it can be aligned unless you're stacking subs. If you have each 12 on it's own amp channel you could align sub one and two together on one amp. Then align sub 3 and 4 on the 2nd amp. Then use a separate sub out from the AVR to feed each amp. Then you'd have to align the two sets of subs to each other using the sub distance in the AVR. It would be a pain but it's doable. The problem is any auto room correction you run will attempt to align the subs and eq is based off of it's alignment which isn't always right. This is why it's best to let the AVR only see one sub.

Last edited by cdy2179; 11-05-2019 at 07:17 AM.
post #63 of 140 Old 11-05-2019, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
With 4 subs I'm guessing you have 2 NX6k amps for the 12s, what about the 18? Each sub needs it's own amp channel and DSP so it can be aligned unless you're stacking subs. If you have each 12 on it's own amp channel you could align sub one and two together on one amp. Then align sub 3 and 4 on the 2nd amp. Then use a separate sub out from the AVR to feed each amp. Then you'd have to align the two sets of subs to each other using the sub distance in the AVR. It would be a pain but it's doable. The problem is any auto room correction you run will attempt to align the subs and eq is based off of it's alignment which isn't always right. This is why it's best to let the AVR only see one sub.
Thank you. The 4 12's (which are very efficient) all run off a single channel of the NX6. And the 18 is off the other channel. So just one NX6K. So the mini-dsp's remote allows for a couple different settings/curves. So one setting could be all subs going and another could basically push the level of the 4 12s down? That would be so nice.
cdy2179 likes this.

Audio: Denon AVR-X3400H - Behringer NX6000D - miniDSP
Speakers: LCR: DIYSoundGroup Cobalt 8s | Surrounds: NHT SuperOnes | Atmos: Boston Acoustic SoundWare | Subs: Marty cube w/ Ultimax UM18 and (4) JBL CS1214s
Automation: Fire Cube - Harmony Hub- Insteon Plugs - Sensi Thermostat
Video Image: TCL 55r625 - Roku - nVidia Shield Pro 2019 - Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 140 Old 11-05-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you. The 4 12's (which are very efficient) all run off a single channel of the NX6. And the 18 is off the other channel. So just one NX6K. So the mini-dsp's remote allows for a couple different settings/curves. So one setting could be all subs going and another could basically push the level of the 4 12s down? That would be so nice.
Yes the minidsp will allow you to control 4 subs. Having 4 subs with no way to align them as you have them setup now could very well be causing delay issues. The HD 2x4 allows for different presets so you can have different house curves or turn some subs down or however you want to control each preset. The optional remote for the HD2x4 will allow you to change the presets on the fly. It's really a great feature.

You'll of course need a umik to measure to see what's really going on

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...02c114a1fbc504

And a minidsp 2x4 HD if you really wanna tweak the subs and have the capability to change how the subs perform on the fly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...b2fd1e34f2ee40

Last edited by cdy2179; 11-05-2019 at 10:41 AM.
post #65 of 140 Old 11-05-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Yes the minidsp will allow you to control 4 subs. Having 4 subs with no way to align them as you have them setup now could very well be causing delay issues. The HD 2x4 allows for different presets so you can have different house curves or turn some subs down or however you want to control each preset. The optional remote for the HD2x4 will allow you to change the presets on the fly. It's really a great feature.

You'll of course need a umik to measure to see what's really going on

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...02c114a1fbc504

And a minidsp 2x4 HD if you really wanna tweak the subs and have the capability to change how the subs perform on the fly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...b2fd1e34f2ee40
Thanks. I watched your videos in great detail. I have the mic and will be starting this process in a few days. I have the DSP from the NX6 which I know is decent but doesn't have the remote or the ability to upload settings from REW like the mini-dsp has. I hate to spend $250 on a new dsp when I already have one. But having to fool around with sub settings is a pain. One click to switch things would be awesome.

Do I get the new nVidia Shield Pro or a mini-DSP.....................
NTTD likes this.

Speakers: LCR: DIYSoundGroup Cobalt 8s | Surrounds: NHT SuperOnes | Atmos: Boston Acoustic SoundWare | Subs: Marty cube w/ Ultimax UM18 and (4) JBL CS1214s
post #66 of 140 Old 11-05-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 6606 Post(s)
Liked: 6019
Quote:
Thanks. I watched your videos in great detail. I have the mic and will be starting this process in a few days. I have the DSP from the NX6 which I know is decent but doesn't have the remote or the ability to upload settings from REW like the mini-dsp has. I hate to spend $250 on a new dsp when I already have one. But having to fool around with sub settings is a pain. One click to switch things would be awesome.

If you already have a Shield, I would skip the "upgraded" one...it can barely be called an upgrade.
post #67 of 140 Old 11-05-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
If you already have a Shield, I would skip the "upgraded" one...it can barely be called an upgrade.
I only have a Fire TV Cube and am hitting perf issues trying to stream 4K movies from my server.

post #68 of 140 Old 11-05-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I only have a Fire TV Cube and am hitting perf issues trying to stream 4K movies from my server.
Ahhh, I see. Maybe find a deep discount on the 2017 Shield then? I'm sure a lot of forum members are looking to get rid of theirs right now.
post #69 of 140 Old 11-05-2019, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well right now you have 5 subs right? Only 2 channels on the amp. If you really wanna get the bass tweaked to perfection I'd recommend selling the amp for a nu4 inuke (4 channel amp) with no DSP. Then stack two subs so you can use them on one channel and run the other 3 subs on the other 3 channels. That an a minidsp 2x4 will allow complete control and alignment of the 4 sub locations/amp channels.

I know that's not a cheap route but it's what I'd lean towards.
Alan P likes this.
post #70 of 140 Old 11-05-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Well right now you have 5 subs right? Only 2 channels on the amp. If you really wanna get the bass tweaked to perfection I'd recommend selling the amp for a nu4 inuke (4 channel amp) with no DSP. Then stack two subs so you can use them on one channel and run the other 3 subs on the other 3 channels. That an a minidsp 2x4 will allow complete control and alignment of the 4 sub locations/amp channels.

I know that's not a cheap route but it's what I'd lean towards.
I have 5 subs. But the 4 12s are in 2 boxes, so two per box as shown below. So at most I would need 3 channels. At this time, selling what I have isn't feasible. Maybe I will start with using output from the AVR and see how it goes. The couch goes in front of all that so it's hidden. But I am completely limited to the back wall for everything and the 18" must be in the that near corner. The 12s can be moved along that wall. I am limited.

post #71 of 140 Old 11-11-2019, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 20
First off, thank you for putting together this in-depth video. I watched the first 30 minutes after watching #8 on gain-level matching. I did some searching for videos and posts for reference about 6 weeks ago on REW. This video is so much more comprehensive and helpful than what I was able to find.

I've attached the before, targeted, and corrected curve from ARC-Genesis to see what I'm currently working with.

Before I begin the task, I have a few questions. Please forgive me if these were answered in the forum and I’ve missed the answers to them.

1) Do I still need to level match my subs if they are identical? In video #8 at the 11:35 mark while talking about the hassle of moving speakers around you say, “Luckily mine are all identical subs,” and that they are running off the same processor, so you’re okay.

2) In REW, when you are doing the initial sweep to see what each sub’s room response is, are you moving the UMIK or the sub across the couch? You say your moving “it” as though it’s the sub. However, the time between sweeps leads and the fact that you’re trying to get different positioning leads me to believe you’re talking about the UMIK.

3) Is it okay to run the sweeps off to the side of my room just out of the direct path of the closest sub and FR speaker?

4) Since I’m only using REW to set up my subs, do I need to connect an HDMI or a USB cable to my receiver from my computer, or will I only have the following connections:

Receiver to MiniDSP to Subs
MiniDSP to Computer
UMIK-1 to Computer

Thank you in advance!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ARC - Sub Curve.pdf (48.1 KB, 7 views)

Anthem MRX1120, AC Infinity Aircom T9, Panamax 5300-PM
Speakers: KEF R700, R200C, SR/SL - Q100
Subs: Rythmik E15HP2 (x2) w/ miniDSP 2x4 HD
TV: Vizio E50-C1, Devices: Apple TV 4K, StreamSmart Pro, Xbox One, and Xbox 360

post #72 of 140 Old 11-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pn56Matt View Post
1) Do I still need to level match my subs if they are identical? In video #8 at the 11:35 mark while talking about the hassle of moving speakers around you say, “Luckily mine are all identical subs,” and that they are running off the same processor, so you’re okay.

2) In REW, when you are doing the initial sweep to see what each sub’s room response is, are you moving the UMIK or the sub across the couch? You say your moving “it” as though it’s the sub. However, the time between sweeps leads and the fact that you’re trying to get different positioning leads me to believe you’re talking about the UMIK.

3) Is it okay to run the sweeps off to the side of my room just out of the direct path of the closest sub and FR speaker?

4) Since I’m only using REW to set up my subs, do I need to connect an HDMI or a USB cable to my receiver from my computer, or will I only have the following connections:

MiniDSP to Computer
UMIK-1 to Computer
1) Gain matching, not level matching. If your subs are identical, you can set the gain knobs to the same setting and you should be golden.

2) Moving the mic to measure different listening positions, not moving the sub(s).

3) When running sweeps, you want the mic to be placed at the MLP at ear height, and subsequently at other listening positions (if you are concerned about their response). Why would want to measure off to the side of the room? Do people sit there??

4) Yes, you have to have the computer connected to the AVR via HDMI, how else will you (and the mic) be able to hear the sweep?

Hope this helps!
sdurani and cdy2179 like this.
post #73 of 140 Old 11-11-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
1) Gain matching, not level matching. If your subs are identical, you can set the gain knobs to the same setting and you should be golden.

2) Moving the mic to measure different listening positions, not moving the sub(s).

3) When running sweeps, you want the mic to be placed at the MLP at ear height, and subsequently at other listening positions (if you are concerned about their response). Why would want to measure off to the side of the room? Do people sit there??

4) Yes, you have to have the computer connected to the AVR via HDMI, how else will you (and the mic) be able to hear the sweep?

Hope this helps!

This was really helpful! Thank you for taking the time to reply Alan P.

1) Totally meant gain matching. This was mentioned in the video also. I have both set at about 12 O'Clock per ARC's preference when I last calibrated it.

2) Figured this as well, just like when setting up ARC, but wanted to make sure.

3) This question wasn't phrased very well. I meant, can I be off to the side on my computer running the sweeps? I already plan to run 3-4 sweeps.

4) I'm not sure I have an HDMI Cable longer than 6' except an old HDMI 1.2 or 1.3. They should still work for the task, right?
cdy2179 likes this.

post #74 of 140 Old 11-11-2019, 02:23 PM

Your welcome!

That makes more sense...yes, you can be off to the side when measuring, you don't want to be sitting in the MLP, for obvious reasons.

An older HDMI cable should work just fine for REW's purposes.
post #75 of 140 Old 11-11-2019, 02:25 PM

post #76 of 140 Old 11-12-2019, 07:53 AM

I finally got to try using REW last night. I noticed a few things and wanted to get some more info/advice before proceeding. I’ve attached the picture to show.

I am using a 3-4 year old MacBook Pro. It has the HDMI output, and two USB ports. Everything was hooked up. I registered with A/V Nirvana, updated the latest Beta, updated JAVA, and signed into MiniDSP for my user download, and have the plug-in done for my MiniDSP 2x4HD. The UMIK-1 is all set with the calibration file.

1) My “Soundcard” tab in is missing the “Drivers” dropdown with Java and option that is shown in the tutorial. Is this because it’s the default since I never downloaded ASIO4ALL? I attached a picture for reference.

2) The “Output” dropdown does not have my Anthem Receiver as an option. I assumed it was HDMI and so I tried it. I was getting signals sent to the sub from this. Is there a way to change this, or do I just go with HDMI?

3) When I did the initial “Subwoofer Test Signal”, it was only sending the signal to one of my subs (through Output 1 on the MiniDSP). However, I had Outputs 1 and 2 “On” on the MiniDSP. Is this normal? I’m assuming it’s not, because I did the test signal from each sub, and they produced very different levels.

4) The MiniDSP would not connect. Any trouble-shooting suggestions?

I’d like to work more with REW this evening or tomorrow. I really appreciate any suggestions and answers.

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf REW-Soundcard 2.pdf (92.6 KB, 3 views)

post #77 of 140 Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Question REW calibrator in Upstate NY

Looking for a REW calibrator here in Upstate NY (Zip 13904)....anyone??

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*

Last edited by purplerain; 11-13-2019 at 07:13 AM.
post #78 of 140 Old 11-12-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
I finally got to try using REW last night. I noticed a few things and wanted to get some more info/advice before proceeding. I’ve attached the picture to show.

I am using a 3-4 year old MacBook Pro. It has the HDMI output, and two USB ports. Everything was hooked up. I registered with A/V Nirvana, updated the latest Beta, updated JAVA, and signed into MiniDSP for my user download, and have the plug-in done for my MiniDSP 2x4HD. The UMIK-1 is all set with the calibration file.

1) My “Soundcard” tab in is missing the “Drivers” dropdown with Java and option that is shown in the tutorial. Is this because it’s the default since I never downloaded ASIO4ALL? I attached a picture for reference.

2) The “Output” dropdown does not have my Anthem Receiver as an option. I assumed it was HDMI and so I tried it. I was getting signals sent to the sub from this. Is there a way to change this, or do I just go with HDMI?

3) When I did the initial “Subwoofer Test Signal”, it was only sending the signal to one of my subs (through Output 1 on the MiniDSP). However, I had Outputs 1 and 2 “On” on the MiniDSP. Is this normal? I’m assuming it’s not, because I did the test signal from each sub, and they produced very different levels.

4) The MiniDSP would not connect. Any trouble-shooting suggestions?

I’d like to work more with REW this evening or tomorrow. I really appreciate any suggestions and answers.

Thank you!
Is this the tutorial you are following: REW for macOS - How to Setup your Mac for REW?

I use Windows so can't really be of much assistance with REW on a Mac. Concerning the MiniDSP not connecting; have you tried a different USB cable?
post #79 of 140 Old 11-12-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Is this the tutorial you are following: REW for macOS - How to Setup your Mac for REW?

I use Windows so can't really be of much assistance with REW on a Mac. Concerning the MiniDSP not connecting; have you tried a different USB cable?

I remember seeing Enrico's post a few months ago, and I totally forgot about it. I'm using a MacBook Pro from 2016, which is one year after the ones Enrico favors to use. However, it still has the USB and HDMI ports. I have a work PC laptop, but I need admin to download REW and MiniDSP. I'm going to try with the MacBook Pro first.

I read through Enrico's instructions, and will go through this when I get home.

Huge Thanks!

post #80 of 140 Old 11-12-2019, 02:41 PM

Apparently, REW on a Mac is much easier than on a PC. If you follow Enrico's instructions, it should be a cinch!
post #81 of 140 Old 11-12-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First off, thank you for putting together this in-depth video. I watched the first 30 minutes after watching #8 on gain-level matching. I did some searching for videos and posts for reference about 6 weeks ago on REW. This video is so much more comprehensive and helpful than what I was able to find.

I've attached the before, targeted, and corrected curve from ARC-Genesis to see what I'm currently working with.

Before I begin the task, I have a few questions. Please forgive me if these were answered in the forum and I’ve missed the answers to them.

MiniDSP to Computer
UMIK-1 to Computer

Thank you in advance!
I'm really glad you found the video useful. As for the questions I see @Alan P is the man and has already answered them.
Thanks Alan. I've been busy lately. Trying to sell my house and other stuff!
Alan P likes this.
post #82 of 140 Old 11-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I'm really glad you found the video useful. As for the questions I see @Alan P is the man and has already answered them.
Thanks Alan. I've been busy lately. Trying to sell my house and other stuff!
Glad to help when I can and hope you don't feel like I'm stepping on any toes...I do consider this your thread.
cdy2179 likes this.
post #83 of 140 Old 11-12-2019, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2657 Post(s)
Liked: 2323
Quote:
I have 5 subs. But the 4 12s are in 2 boxes, so two per box as shown below. So at most I would need 3 channels.
Stack the JBL boxes and wire as a magic square for 4 ohms to one channel of the amp. The 18 is probably already wired for 4 ohms to other channel. You'll have PLENTY of output, and the NX eq for each channel will be perfectly adequate.
For now.
Michael
post #84 of 140 Old 11-13-2019, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Glad to help when I can and hope you don't feel like I'm stepping on any toes...I do consider this your thread.
No not at all. The more help the better!
Alan P and pn56Matt like this.
post #85 of 140 Old 11-13-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Apparently, REW on a Mac is much easier than on a PC. If you follow Enrico's instructions, it should be a cinch!

I didn't have much time last night, but I was able to go through all the configurations on the Mac and set up my inputs/outputs correctly according to Enrico's tutorial. I don't think I'll have the time to use REW till the weekend, but I'm on track to follow HT Guru's video now.
Alan P likes this.

post #86 of 140 Old 11-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
REW Sub Alignment vs Multi-sub Optimizer

Hello cdy2179
Appreciate your series of Subwoofer videos, all well done and very informative. I'm going to realign my 4 unlike subs following your video's procedure in the next day or so. I have been using a MiniDsp 2x4, REW and Multi-Sub Optimizer with good results for my 3 seating positions. I'm curious to compare the results..

Have you also used the software program Multi-Sub Optimizer (sub-only config) previously? If so, can you comment on the how the results compared to your process outlined in the video?

Thank you.
post #87 of 140 Old 11-16-2019, 11:21 AM

You guys convinced me to get a mini-DSP even though I have an NX6K. But being able to change settings on the fly with the remote will be awesome. With that being said, I place the miniDSP between the AVR and Behringer. Since I have a ported 20Hz sub, I currently have a 20Hz HPF on the Behringer. I assume I get rid of this and do it in the miniDSP right? Is there anything at all I would set with Behringer, or make sure it's basically neutral?

Thank you.

post #88 of 140 Old 11-16-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
But being able to change settings on the fly with the remote will be awesome.
That means you're getting the HD, right?
Michael
post #89 of 140 Old 11-16-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
That means you're getting the HD, right?
Michael
Yes

post #90 of 140 Old 11-16-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I currently have a 20Hz HPF on the Behringer. I assume I get rid of this and do it in the miniDSP right? Is there anything at all I would set with Behringer, or make sure it's basically neutral?
There is no reason to change any of the settings on the amp. The miniDSP will supplement it, not replace it.
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page