REW subwoofer alignment Video using MiniDSP complete walk through! - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 161Likes

post #211 of 230 Old 02-12-2020, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
I received my UMIK-1 today and when I entered the serial #, the regular and 90degree calibration file I received was in txt format. I'm using a MacBook pro, is the correct format or do I need to do an additional step? thanks
Yes is the correct format.
mbroadus likes this.

5.1.4 Setup / Front: Chane A2.4 L-C-R,. Surround: Airmotiv E1, Atmos: Imagine XA, Sub: PSA S1801, TV Samsung 65 4k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 230 Old 02-12-2020, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy2179 View Post
Great seat to seat consistency and response! You have a few dips above the crossover point. last week I uploaded main to sub integration so check that out to make sure that's not it. It could also be SBIR which I'm uploading today with ways to fixing it using absorption and moving the crossover point.

You said you have't run room correction so it's probably due to the sub distance being off so they're out of phase with the mains which last weeks video explains how to do manually and verify after running room correction.

Thank you very much for the advice. Haven't run Audyssey yet; but all measurements taken were with Audyssey off anyway. Originally I had the virtual sub at 7.5ft. Using your recommended tutorial today I was able to align with main at 13ft and there's a noticeable difference in REW (First Graph) at the 80-90hz dip. I used the center channel for this alignment and set crossovers at 90hz. MV was set at -8.

I still have a null/modal around 100hz (Second Graph). Maybe it's just my room @ 13.5' x 13.8' x 8'. I only have OC 703 2" panels at the back, left and front side. That null is somewhat shown in the REW Room Simulator. I'll try to re-align the subs tomorrow to see if I can lift that null without affecting too much the other frequencies. Maybe play the the "Room Size" knob in the subs or higher crossovers.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	center-90hz-7vs-13.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	2684294   Click image for larger version

Name:	left-center-right.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	2684296   Click image for larger version

Name:	room-sim.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	2684298  

5.1.4 Setup / Front: Chane A2.4 L-C-R,. Surround: Airmotiv E1, Atmos: Imagine XA, Sub: PSA S1801, TV Samsung 65 4k
post #213 of 230 Old 02-13-2020, 09:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Q about using 2 subwoofer out ports when using a MiniDSP

Hey everybody, greetings from WV. I just recently got a miniDSP 2x4 HD to get the most out of the subs that I have in my modest home theater and was just looking for some advice. My Marantz SR7009 receiver has 2 sub out ports on it and I have 6 Bic F12 subwoofers in total. I am currently running 4 subs on the sub 1 port using the miniDSP for alignment/delay/etc., and on the other sub 2 port I split the signal w/ a Monoprice Y-splitter and have the other 2 subs running on it.

The 2 subs running off of the sub 2 port are located right up against the back of my couch (both are same exact same distance from the MLP) for that sweet near-field rumble effect, but I wasn't sure if how i had everything set up was the best way to do it.

My Q is, is what I have done so far kosher? I am pretty new to the miniDSP / REW game so I wasn't sure if there was a recommended way to run all 6 subs using just the miniDSP HD on that sub 1 port. Also, I was planning on time-aligning my subs with the miniDSP first and then using Audyssey for it's Dynamic EQ and room correction after doing that. Eventually I would like to do my own house curve to get it all nice and tight but for the moment that is beyond my skills to do effectively.

Any and all advice here is appreciated. I also wanted to give a shout out to the OP for putting that video together, it was what enabled me to mess around w/ REW and the miniDSP to the extent that I have so far, so kudos to you sir!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 230 Old 02-14-2020, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Worst part when i add the minidsp HD in there electrical noise from the RCA cable when i was use XLR there was no buzz i go and bring RCA to XLR connector it’s work but still there is little sound not like before any suggestion to resolve this matter my electricity is 220v

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #215 of 230 Old 02-14-2020, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 6889 Post(s)
Liked: 6562
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyneb25 View Post
Hey everybody, greetings from WV. I just recently got a miniDSP 2x4 HD to get the most out of the subs that I have in my modest home theater and was just looking for some advice. My Marantz SR7009 receiver has 2 sub out ports on it and I have 6 Bic F12 subwoofers in total. I am currently running 4 subs on the sub 1 port using the miniDSP for alignment/delay/etc., and on the other sub 2 port I split the signal w/ a Monoprice Y-splitter and have the other 2 subs running on it.

The 2 subs running off of the sub 2 port are located right up against the back of my couch (both are same exact same distance from the MLP) for that sweet near-field rumble effect, but I wasn't sure if how i had everything set up was the best way to do it.

My Q is, is what I have done so far kosher? I am pretty new to the miniDSP / REW game so I wasn't sure if there was a recommended way to run all 6 subs using just the miniDSP HD on that sub 1 port. Also, I was planning on time-aligning my subs with the miniDSP first and then using Audyssey for it's Dynamic EQ and room correction after doing that. Eventually I would like to do my own house curve to get it all nice and tight but for the moment that is beyond my skills to do effectively.

Any and all advice here is appreciated. I also wanted to give a shout out to the OP for putting that video together, it was what enabled me to mess around w/ REW and the miniDSP to the extent that I have so far, so kudos to you sir!
As you know, the 2 subs behind your seating can be split off of one MiniDSP output since they are equidistant to the MLP....if you have another pair that are also equidistant, you could use a y-splitter from the MiniDSP for those as well. You would then be able to run all 6 subs off of a single AVR sub out using the 4 MiniDSP outputs.

If the placement options are possible in your room, I would split the 6 subs into 3 sets of equidistant pairs and use 3 (y-split) MiniDSP outputs, that would probably work well.
post #216 of 230 Old 02-14-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7mad78 View Post
Worst part when i add the minidsp HD in there electrical noise from the RCA cable when i was use XLR there was no buzz i go and bring RCA to XLR connector it’s work but still there is little sound not like before any suggestion to resolve this matter my electricity is 220v

Try a better shielded RCA cable (Blue Jeans cables are well made and relatively cheap) and make sure the RCA cable does not run parallel to any power cables.
Todd G. and A7mad78 like this.
post #217 of 230 Old 02-14-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
As you know, the 2 subs behind your seating can be split off of one MiniDSP output since they are equidistant to the MLP....if you have another pair that are also equidistant, you could use a y-splitter from the MiniDSP for those as well. You would then be able to run all 6 subs off of a single AVR sub out using the 4 MiniDSP outputs.

If the placement options are possible in your room, I would split the 6 subs into 3 sets of equidistant pairs and use 3 (y-split) MiniDSP outputs, that would probably work well.

Thanks for responding here Alan. I had actually given some thought to running the 2 subs behind the couch from a single out on the miniDSP using a splitter, but the other 4 subs are all different distances from the MLP (approx. 12.3', 11', 10', and 6.2') so it made more sense to me to use the miniDSP for those 4 subs. The other reason I went the way I did was because I would have been one 'out port' short of being able to hook all 6 up unless I paired up another 2 subs as you suggested. I suppose the 2 subs that are 10' and 11' from the MLP are pretty similar in distance and could maybe be paired up with a splitter, i'll experiment and see what kind of results I get.

My reasoning for doing it all the way that I did was that once i'm all done with getting my sub alignment done in the miniDSP and I re-run Audyssey, it would set the distance for the 'virtual' sub (for the 4 subs the miniDSP is running) as it should, but by utilizing the 2nd sub out on the Marantz I thought that it would allow me to set the distances more accurately for those 2 near-field subs.

For a little more context, my room shape is not ideal so I used the Earl Geddes sub placement method to locate all of my subs, and I figured that 6 subs would be plenty to mediate any potential room mode issues. Sub 1 is located midway up on the front wall centerpoint, sub 2 is located in the front left corner, sub 3 is to the left of the couch and maybe 1 foot further back, 4 and 5 are centered behind the couch with 24 inches between them, and 6 is on the back wall (about 4 feet offset from the wall centerpoint) in a straight line from the 2 behind the couch.

I had to open this new AVS acct. because I lost the PW for my previous one (my email had changed since opening it so I couldn't just request a new PW). Once I have some more posts under my belt and my AVS Forum access allows me to, i'll be sure to include some pictures of the room in my next post for people to reference.
post #218 of 230 Old 02-16-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 341
@cdy2179 , was just watching Episode#24 on panel placement. A few things came to mind

1 - In your video, the seating seems to have a lot of space b/w its side walls and seats. In most of HT room (I'm assuming), most of us won't have that much space. Take my case for example. My room is ~12 feet wide and after three recliners, there is ~26 inches left on each side. In the video, there is almost as much distance as the length of seats themselves. You might be using them just as a reference but when it comes to diffusers, distance does matter if I'm not wrong. For example, if I were to place the diffuser on the side wall that is right next to side seat, it'd be too close for the person sitting on that seat and most likely would cause distortion than helping. Point is that may be we should mention the minimum distance required when discussing installing a combo panel or diffusers?

2 - What about treatments for ceiling speakers? Assuming those who have 7.x.4 or 7.x.x setup, what should be their plan on room treatment?

Just a few thoughts I had when I watched that video. Great work BTW. Very informative stuff and I sure am learning a lot from them. BIG THUMBS UP.

Last edited by harrisu; 02-16-2020 at 12:39 PM.
post #219 of 230 Old 02-16-2020, 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=
I had to open this new AVS acct. because I lost the PW for my previous one (my email had changed since opening it so I couldn't just request a new PW). Once I have some more posts under my belt and my AVS Forum access allows me to, i'll be sure to include some pictures of the room in my next post for people to reference.[/QUOTE]

So i took some pics of my den's non-dedicated theater room (sorry for the mess, still very much a work in progress..) and where all of the subs are positioned in it to give the people here that are smarter than I a better idea of what i'm working with. I also included some pics of the cabinetry that I built to contain all my AV gear in the front sound stage area, just in case it was somehow relevant. I tried to make it as acoustically transparent as possible, think a sturdy frame w/ speaker grilles for the walls.

I went ahead and did 2 sub pairs so that I could run all 6 of them off of the miniDSP. One pair is located behind the couch and the other pair was made from the sub behind the tv and the front left corner sub (the sub behind the tv is 9'11" from MLP and the left corner sub is 10'8").

I have also included an REW graph here for reference; the purple line on the plot is my initial run of 4 subs on the miniDSp after alignment, and the green line is all 6 subs on the DSP after another attempt at alignment. I still have a ways to go w/ EQing and everything else, but not a bad start, all things considered.

Hopefully this will give some better context and make it easier to render advice. Looking forward to hearing the excellent feedback from all of the audio gurus here on the forum!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cabinetry center console area 2 - left side open.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	2685938   Click image for larger version

Name:	all 6 subs on the miniDSP after tweaks.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	2685940   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 subs behind the couch.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2685942   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub on the back wall - 12 ft behind couch.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	2685944   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub on fireplace wall (left and back a lil from couch).jpg
Views:	49
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	2685946  

Name:	sub in front left corner.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	2685948   Click image for larger version

Name:	sub behind tv.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	2685950   Click image for larger version

Name:	room 4 - left side rear area.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2685952   Click image for larger version

Name:	room 3 - rear area behind couch.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	2685954   Click image for larger version

Name:	room 2 - right side.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	2685956  

Name:	room 1 - close up of center area.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	2685958   Click image for larger version

Name:	room 1 - center front.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2685960   Click image for larger version

Name:	room - right side ceiling area.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	2685962   Click image for larger version

Name:	room - view of staggered out walls on right side.jpg
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	2685964   Click image for larger version

Name:	room - left side ceiling area.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	2685966  

Name:	room - alternate view of first staggered wall area.jpg
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	2685968   Click image for larger version

Name:	previous config. w subs split up on diff [portsvs current config. w subs all on miniDSP.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	2685970   Click image for larger version

Name:	ghetto sub isolation platform - muffin dish w racquet balls (also for sub behind tv).jpg
Views:	34
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	2685972   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabintery center console area 1 - right side shut.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	2685974   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabintery center console area 1 - right side open.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	2685976  

Name:	cabinetry storage area 3 - right side shut.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2685978   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinetry storage area 2 - right side open.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	2685980   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinetry storage area 1 - left side.jpg
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	2685982  
post #220 of 230 Old 02-17-2020, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2809 Post(s)
Liked: 2496
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyneb25 View Post
I have also included an REW graph here for reference
Use the little camera icon (labeled "Capture") on the upper left of the graph for graph screenshots. Better yet, upload your mdat file to a file-sharing service for downloading.
Michael
post #221 of 230 Old 02-18-2020, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Try a better shielded RCA cable (Blue Jeans cables are well made and relatively cheap) and make sure the RCA cable does not run parallel to any power cables.
+1 for Blue Jeans Cable subwoofer cables.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000 (calibrated), 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
post #222 of 230 Old 02-18-2020, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

I try many time to raise the gain start at 85 dB but still it’s low is there are way to raise it

post #223 of 230 Old 02-19-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:

I try many time to raise the gain start at 85 dB but still it’s low is there are way to raise it

The top sweep looks quite flat over the crossover...not sure what you are asking here?

Please, start using the camera icon to capture your graphs...also, this last graph's frequency axis is set to Linear, change it back to Logarithmic by hitting the Freq. Axis button in the upper right.
post #224 of 230 Old 02-19-2020, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The top sweep looks quite flat over the crossover...not sure what you are asking here?

Please, start using the camera icon to capture your graphs...also, this last graph's frequency axis is set to Linear, change it back to Logarithmic by hitting the Freq. Axis button in the upper right.

I am ask about the bottom line where it start at around 55dB

I will and see to hit still new with little knowledge just the video here made my life easy

post #225 of 230 Old 02-19-2020, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I am ask about the bottom line where it start at around 55dB

I will and see to hit still new with little knowledge just the video here made my life easy

Do you mean the one at about 10Hz? Don't try boosting that; you don't have enough subs for that. You're just wasting amp power trying to boost 10Hz.

MiniDSP 2x4HD, UMIK-1, REW... The holy trinity for running multiple subs.
post #226 of 230 Old 02-19-2020, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorny View Post
Do you mean the one at about 10Hz? Don't try boosting that; you don't have enough subs for that. You're just wasting amp power trying to boost 10Hz.

Thx...

now it’s clear and good to know that i get good result based on my triad subs and using the REW for the first time but i got many time and many help from folks here and still learn

post #227 of 230 Old 02-21-2020, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
I have been debating getting a minidsp for a while now and still unsure if I want to go down this rabbit hole. This video and thread has again peaked my interest. My setup is per my signature. Dual SVS PC-4000s in rear of living room. That location wound up best for low bass tactile response at the expense of some uneven response at the upper end which I accept as I am primarily movies/tv vs music. It's also better aesthetically so likely where they will stay. Forgetting about BEQ and customized house curves does anyone feel that time aligning dual subs with a minidsp will really do any better than Audyssey x32 with dual sub outs? Audyssey is known to typically do a good job with relative distances. Attached is a a sub only REW sweep post Audyssey and a second pic of a sweep with Audyssey turned off overlayed. I know it would be helpful to have individual subs without Audy but not sure I ever did those sweeps for these subs. Thanks.
Decided to go for it and get the minidsp 2x4 HD as well as the wifi dongle. While I was at it I sent my UMIK-1 to Cross Spectrum to get calibrated as I had purchased from minidsp. Everything arrives today and tomorrow. Don't know when I'll find the time to play with this but looking forward to it and will probably post back here for help.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #228 of 230 Old 02-23-2020, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Thanks for your time/effort to put this video together, and the rest of the videos on your channel. They are a huge help. I just upgraded from a single SVS PB-1000 sub to dual SVS PB-2000, and I am trying to get the best placement in my open living room, which has been challenging since every corner has a large null or multiple nulls.

So, I decided to just go through the steps with one of the placements I found with decent response(not great) and create a house curve like you do, instead of a flat curve since I do have DEQ on my Denon X4400H.

Since I had a big null with one sub, after combining with the 2nd sub it was a large dip around 60 Hz. I did a 100 Hz to 30 Hz sloped curve like you and REW popped up the box stating 83% of the response is above the target value. I see in your video that at 1:03:00 you got the same message, so I assume this isn't an issue to bring everything down to the target line like this. I also played around with the target level and got the REW popup saying the target level is more than 10dB from what REW estimates it should be.

Is it fine to ignore these if I am trying to bring everything down to the target curve rather than trying to boost to get to the target?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	target percent message.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2689094   Click image for larger version

Name:	target 10db message.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	2689096  
post #229 of 230 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
In the next week or so will be integrating my new minidsp 2x4 HD and in the interim have been reviewing how to time align. My SVS PC-4000s have continuously variable phase easily controlled via the app. Both subs are in rear of room so unlikely I would be using the invert phase fxn on minidsp. Is there any reason to believe that after time aligning using delay setting in minidsp playing with the variable phase on the subs will yield any better combined response? Doesn't seem to me that it should add anything but just checking.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #230 of 230 Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by confinoj View Post
In the next week or so will be integrating my new minidsp 2x4 HD and in the interim have been reviewing how to time align. My SVS PC-4000s have continuously variable phase easily controlled via the app. Both subs are in rear of room so unlikely I would be using the invert phase fxn on minidsp. Is there any reason to believe that after time aligning using delay setting in minidsp playing with the variable phase on the subs will yield any better combined response? Doesn't seem to me that it should add anything but just checking.
Cool thing with ReW and Umik and mini-dsp... it’s so easy to check your set up. I was working on mine over the weekend, I have front right and rear left subs. Using the 0 setting graphs were good, using180 sub setting response took a major dump. I tried individually, combined, one in, one out of phase. Only in phase looked right. Mini-dsp has a button to invert, so easy to do on the fly.

Didn’t really answer your question, let us know what your room does.

AVR-Rotel RSX-1056
No name DVD player (will upgrade in 2020)
B&W LCR 600 center
B&W DM 604 S3, fronts
Outlaw Audio Ultra X-12, times two!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page