• 1 Post By m0j0
  • 1 Post By pheare

post #1 of 16 Old 10-15-2019, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
2 subs vs 1 choice

Hi I'm looking to get a new active sub for my home system and I'm stumped on what the better option here is. Here is the comparison:
Same brand
One 18" / two 12"s
3000w peak 750rms / 1400w peak 350rms
130oz magnet / 80oz magnets
4" vc / 2"vcs
135max spl [email protected] 129 cont/ 115 max 110cont
+/- 3dB 25-120hz response / +/-3 28-200

The single sub is 25% more cost, but has high pass xlr thru puts, few other niceties, weighs 140lbs vs 45lbs each

I'm hearing duel is way to go for home system, and I know without actual measuring it may be hard to guess here just asking someone more knowledgeable to chime in. I'm aware the one 18" had more total area but does it when the vs are 4" vs 2? The SPL(efficiency as I understand it) difference is what concerns me, 19dB (difference in the rating)is 4x as loud roughly correct? I cant imagine it means its 4x more efficient

Thanks and sorry if I'm a bit of a newb here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-15-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Call View Post
Hi I'm looking to get a new active sub for my home system and I'm stumped on what the better option here is. Here is the comparison:
Same brand
One 18" / two 12"s
4" vc / 2"vcs

The single sub is 25% more cost, but has high pass xlr thru puts, few other niceties, weighs 140lbs vs 45lbs each

I'm hearing duel is way to go for home system, and I know without actual measuring it may be hard to guess here just asking someone more knowledgeable to chime in. I'm aware the one 18" had more total area but does it when the vs are 4" vs 2? The SPL(efficiency as I understand it) difference is what concerns me, 19dB (difference in the rating)is 4x as loud roughly correct? I cant imagine it means its 4x more efficient

What is the room size / volume? Is this for home theater, music, etc? What specific brand/model are you considering? Have you considered a DIY type of solution? What is your budget?
darthray and iceatola like this.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-15-2019, 05:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked: 3358
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
What is the room size / volume? Is this for home theater, music, etc? What specific brand/model are you considering? Have you considered a DIY type of solution? What is your budget?
All good questions for the OP @M Call that are important, for proper suggestions

My personal suggestion, since good bass is very addictive. Is most always, buy the best single one. And look to add another one later if needed. This way, you have a very capable sub to enjoy for now. And if a person need to add a second one. You don't have through the trouble, of selling two less capable subs. And buy two new ones. Since many, are very happy with one very good sub. A win win situation, that cost less in the long run. If a second sub is needed, or single was only needed.

By the way, very nice Theater
And you should post your pictures on this thread;
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...configuration/
The name of mine, is from a Star Destroyer. Also from the Dark Side;
The Chimaera theater

Darth
m0j0, Dave Ol and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.

Last edited by darthray; 10-15-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Call View Post
Same brand
One 18" / two 12"s
4" vc / 2"vcs

Nothing to apologize, we all started somewhere

Some come here, for a quick answer. And many of us, are always glad to help.
They are a few, that learn and stick around. And also pass on there new acquire knowledge
So ask away.

Darth
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 10-15-2019 at 06:18 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
All good questions for the OP @M Call that are important, for proper suggestions

My personal suggestion, since good bass is very addictive. Is most always, buy the best single one. And look to add another one later if needed. This way, you have a very capable sub to enjoy for now. And if a person need to add a second one. You don't have through the trouble, of selling two less capable subs. And buy two new ones. Since many, are very happy with one very good sub. A win win situation, that cost less in the long run. If a second sub is needed, or single was only needed.

By the way, very nice Theater
And you should post your pictures on this thread;
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/29-wh...configuration/
The name of mine, is from a Star Destroyer. Also from the Dark Side;
The Chimaera theater

Darth

Thanks Darth! I didn't know there was a thread for posting our home theaters. I will definitely post mine over there. Love the name of your theater. That's Thrawn's ship!
darthray likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 393
One of my subs broke leaving me with just one. As time goes on, I’m beginning to realize that I don’t really need two subs. Sounds good enough. Seems like these plate amps with switching power supplies have a high failure rate.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
post #7 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1265 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
@M Call, I would buy the best 18" sub you can for now, and then buy another down the line. I have come from 12" Polks, to 15" and then 18 " PSA subs, and there is a difference. There are quite a few variables/metrics that come into play. REW and a UMIK will do wonders. Using the rom analyzer in REW will help you look for best possible positions for your sub(s). Download REW for free.
darthray likes this.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
One of my subs broke leaving me with just one. As time goes on, I’m beginning to realize that I don’t really need two subs. Sounds good enough. Seems like these plate amps with switching power supplies have a high failure rate.
Yeah, that happened to me. I have no idea how long the sub was out before I discovered it. I replaced the plate and added a couple more, now I have 4 subs. Multiple subs help smooth the bass out over multiple listening positions. If you only care about one seat, then a single sub may do the trick for you. Do I need 4 subs? Probably not, but I can!
darthray likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Darth! I didn't know there was a thread for posting our home theaters. I will definitely post mine over there. Love the name of your theater. That's Thrawn's ship!
I see you have also read some of the books

Funny thing, you are the second member. That mention to me, the last few weeks. That it was Thrawn's ship.
Saw the name in a few books many years ago. And name my Theater after-it, since I like the name for been different. Than the other Star Destroyers.

Looking forward to look at your new thread

Darth
m0j0 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 10-16-2019 at 05:34 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I see you have also read some of the books

Funny thing, you are the second member. That mention to me, the last few weeks. That it was Thrawn's ship.
Saw the name in a few books many years ago. And name my Theater after-it, since I like the name for been different. Than the other Star Destroyers.

Looking forward to look at your new thread

Darth
Timothy Zahn’s Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy are some of my favorite books of all time!
darthray likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-16-2019, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Timothy Zahn’s Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy are some of my favorite books of all time!
Those were great books. I enjoyed them very much.

If are into fantasy in general (not just space stuff), you should check out The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. 'The Blade Itself' being the first book. There are a few characters you will quite likely remember for the rest of your life. So good.
m0j0 and darthray like this.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-17-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheare View Post
Those were great books. I enjoyed them very much.

If are into fantasy in general (not just space stuff), you should check out The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. 'The Blade Itself' being the first book. There are a few characters you will quite likely remember for the rest of your life. So good.

Thanks! Added to my Amazon book list.
pheare likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-17-2019, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I picked up a SVS SB-3000 for $850 and I'm going to run REW this weekend to see how it looks. I'm also considering spending a little more and going with HSU VTF-15HMK2, Rhythmik FXV15 or PSA V1510. Black Friday is not too far away though and I've considered just waiting and buying two of whichever have the best discount.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-17-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 348
It depends on your room, needs, AT screen wall...WAF...

I always say to check out the DIY section. You can run something like 6 VBSS 18" subs off of a single behringer 6000w dsp amp. The jbl post really got to me and I run 8 12's in two pods of 4 in about 2cuft a peice. I dont even want to upgrade anymore. Theres a few horn designs that will blow that svs out of the water. But it also depends if you need to conform to some walking vagina's rules.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #15 of 16 Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Thanks! Added to my Amazon book list.
You won't regret it. After you read the trilogy there are 4 other self contained books (one being a book of short stories) that take place in the same world. It is neat, as they sometimes reference/touch on events that happened in the trilogy. In some cases taking something that was briefly mentioned in the trilogy and expanding on it. Same with characters - will take a relatively minor character from the trilogy and tell about his life after the events in the trilogy.

Geez, I feel like going and reading these again now...

Okay. enough of me being off topic.
m0j0 likes this.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-23-2019, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Yeah, that happened to me. I have no idea how long the sub was out before I discovered it. I replaced the plate and added a couple more, now I have 4 subs. Multiple subs help smooth the bass out over multiple listening positions. If you only care about one seat, then a single sub may do the trick for you. Do I need 4 subs? Probably not, but I can!
I'm in this same boat right now. I just upgraded my HT projector and receiver and when we ran Audyssey Multeq XT32 we noticed that one of my two subs was working, but was very faint. In the end we turned the volume on good one down and the "broken" one up all the way to try to match as close as possible, but I'm not sure that was the best option. Maybe I'll just unplug the 2nd an re-run Audyssey to see what it sounds like.

PSN = ChitownJackalope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page