2Likes
  • 2 Post By welldun

post #1 of 13 Old 10-17-2019, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
miniDSP 2x4 HD question

Does it matter which auto EQ receiver you use if your planning on using the miniDSP 2x4 HD ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-17-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 2928 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dootinn View Post
Does it matter which auto EQ receiver you use if your planning on using the miniDSP 2x4 HD ?
Nope

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #3 of 13 Old 10-17-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Nope.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-17-2019, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. It all just got so much easier, lol.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-18-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 6522 Post(s)
Liked: 5872
Not quite that easy.

If you are concerned with the quality of room correction above the bass frequencies, then yes, it does matter. If you want to limit room correction (so you can EQ the subs with the MiniDSP and the rest with automated room correction), then you will be limited to an Audyssey AVR compatible with the Audyssey app.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-19-2019, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Not quite that easy.

If you are concerned with the quality of room correction above the bass frequencies, then yes, it does matter. If you want to limit room correction (so you can EQ the subs with the MiniDSP and the rest with automated room correction), then you will be limited to an Audyssey AVR compatible with the Audyssey app.
So out of the usual avr's, Denon/Marantz receivers are the most compatible with the miniDSP 2x4 HD?
post #7 of 13 Old 10-19-2019, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I don't understand why one would be restricted to Audyssey in the use case described. Could you please explain why?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
I think that in answering this question, a lot of us are making the assumption that you're just using the miniDSP solely for subwoofer tuning. If that's the case, then the goal with the miniDSP is basically to get you the best possible subwoofer results prior to using the AVRs auto EQ, so that your AVR could then use that result to integrate the subs with the rest of the system. Having said that, some of the EQ softwares available allow you to save multiple calibration settings that you can choose from when listening. Some allow for EQ outside of the bass region (which many say that it shouldn't be done), while others also allow you to keep your main speakers without any equalization. At the end of the day your ears will let you know which sound you prefer, which may or may not be the sound that others prefer. Your room will have a lot to do with how everything ties in, so the auto EQ in your AVR will try to compensate for what it's reading in the room. Depending on how advanced that auto EQ software is, your results will vary.
If you are going to use the miniDSP, then I recommend you watch this video which was put together by one of the members of this forum. It will give you all the info you need to get the most out of that miniDSP and your set up. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/_A6gPCczhuU
Alan P and darthray like this.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-19-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool_for_life View Post
I don't understand why one would be restricted to Audyssey in the use case described. Could you please explain why?
I was wondering if the Audyssey system/apps had an advantage while working with the miniDSP 2x4 HD. I actually want to use the Onyko rz-840, but if the Audyssey has an advantage, I would use it instead.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-19-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldun View Post
I think that in answering this question, a lot of us are making the assumption that you're just using the miniDSP solely for subwoofer tuning. If that's the case, then the goal with the miniDSP is basically to get you the best possible subwoofer results prior to using the AVRs auto EQ, so that your AVR could then use that result to integrate the subs with the rest of the system. Having said that, some of the EQ softwares available allow you to save multiple calibration settings that you can choose from when listening. Some allow for EQ outside of the bass region (which many say that it shouldn't be done), while others also allow you to keep your main speakers without any equalization. At the end of the day your ears will let you know which sound you prefer, which may or may not be the sound that others prefer. Your room will have a lot to do with how everything ties in, so the auto EQ in your AVR will try to compensate for what it's reading in the room. Depending on how advanced that auto EQ software is, your results will vary.
If you are going to use the miniDSP, then I recommend you watch this video which was put together by one of the members of this forum. It will give you all the info you need to get the most out of that miniDSP and your set up. Good luck!

https://youtu.be/_A6gPCczhuU
I want to use the miniDSP 2x4 HD for bass EQ exclusively. It seems like all of the auto EQ systems used by avr's are basically equal at EQing everything above bass, but i was wondering if one of the systems has an advantage over the others when used "with" the miniDSP. My AV IQ is getting better, this is worst than school, lol.
thx for link, good stuff.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-20-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
I was wondering if the Audyssey system/apps had an advantage while working with the miniDSP 2x4 HD. I actually want to use the Onyko rz-840, but if the Audyssey has an advantage, I would use it instead.
I might be missing something here but how do you propose using Audyssey when you have an Onkyo rz-840?
post #12 of 13 Old 10-21-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 6522 Post(s)
Liked: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpool_for_life View Post
If you want full control of the EQ your subs and want to use room correction on the satellite speakers, the only way to get there is with the Audyssey app. The Audyssey app will allow you to specify a range of frequencies to not apply automated EQ.

If you only want to EQ your subs flat before room correction (and possibly a few tweaks after), any form of RC will do (although Audyssey will usually provide the best final result).

Quote:
I want to use the miniDSP 2x4 HD for bass EQ exclusively. It seems like all of the auto EQ systems used by avr's are basically equal at EQing everything above bass, but i was wondering if one of the systems has an advantage over the others when used "with" the miniDSP. My AV IQ is getting better, this is worst than school, lol.
thx for link, good stuff.
See above.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-22-2019, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you want full control of the EQ your subs and want to use room correction on the satellite speakers, the only way to get there is with the Audyssey app. The Audyssey app will allow you to specify a range of frequencies to not apply automated EQ.

If you only want to EQ your subs flat before room correction (and possibly a few tweaks after), any form of RC will do (although Audyssey will usually provide the best final result).

See above.
Thank you, that's the answer I was looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page