Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-21-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Mixing 2 Subs

Seeking some advise.

I currently have a Jamo 8 inched sub. Its decent with a needed punch but not the wall rattling types. Am planning to get a second sub but of a different make and model, Klipsch SPL 100 10 inch. Would having two different subs, even out the bass response and solve some room acoustics and have greater effect. I have a Klipsch front floor standers RP 6000f and centre channel 600C and Jamo floor standing surrounds and height speakers.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-22-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2760 Post(s)
Liked: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by RameshG View Post
Seeking some advise.

I currently have a Jamo 8 inched sub. Its decent with a needed punch but not the wall rattling types. Am planning to get a second sub but of a different make and model, Klipsch SPL 100 10 inch. Would having two different subs, even out the bass response and solve some room acoustics and have greater effect. I have a Klipsch front floor standers RP 6000f and centre channel 600C and Jamo floor standing surrounds and height speakers.

Generally not recommended but every room is different. I use 2 quite different subs and they work well together so try it for yourself. It's the only way to really know.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 9 Old 10-22-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 2208
Port tunes appear to be too far apart, it will create a problem.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-22-2019, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Generally not recommended but every room is different. I use 2 quite different subs and they work well together so try it for yourself. It's the only way to really know.
Thanks for the sound advice.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I agree, generally not recommended. I had two different subs both 12", I calibrated using AudX32, but they didn't totally blend, but it was adequate/acceptable. Finally got a matching sub and it sounds/blends much better (no sound localization). Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Marantz SR7011: 7.4.4 Martin Logan Edges (4: FR/FL/SR/SL) Martin Logan Axis (2: SBL/SBR) Martin Logan Stage X (Center) Martin Logan 1500X Sub (2) Martin Logan 1100X Sub (2) Sonance VP86R SST/SUR (4: Dolby Atmos) Epson 6040UB/Elite Lunette 2 120"
post #6 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by RameshG View Post
Seeking some advise.

As others have already stated in their replies, it is generally not recommended. However, I think it also depends on how you plan on integrating them into the system. If you plan on just putting them somewhere in the room and letting your AVR auto-calibration take care of it, then it could be good or bad... like rolling a dice. But, if you are planning on using some measuring equipment to test out locations and then properly time-align the subs so that they instead act as 1 great sub, then you will most likely see some benefit from the second sub. The truth is that even having two identical subs, doesn't guarantee that you will get the results you seek if you are just doing it without taking measurements and without testing various placements for the subs... I learned that the hard way.
The goal with multiple subs is to have each subsequent sub fill in the dips that the previous one could not. This is why it is important to measure the response of your subs at each location, and then use the locations that fill each other's frequency gaps. If all of this sounds too advanced, there is a recent video series on Youtube that was put together by one of this forum's members (who goes by the avatar name of cdy2179), which walks you through the process and does a great job of explaining everything. I would recommend you watch at least episodes 7-10, and you will learn enough to possibly answer your own question.

I've attached the link to the thread which has the info and video link. Good luck with everything, and happy learning!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...k-through.html
post #7 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azekecse View Post
I agree, generally not recommended. I had two different subs both 12", I calibrated using AudX32, but they didn't totally blend, but it was adequate/acceptable. Finally got a matching sub and it sounds/blends much better (no sound localization). Hope this helps.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
Thanks for your insights Azeke
post #8 of 9 Old 10-23-2019, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldun View Post
As others have already stated in their replies, it is generally not recommended. However, I think it also depends on how you plan on integrating them into the system. If you plan on just putting them somewhere in the room and letting your AVR auto-calibration take care of it, then it could be good or bad... like rolling a dice. But, if you are planning on using some measuring equipment to test out locations and then properly time-align the subs so that they instead act as 1 great sub, then you will most likely see some benefit from the second sub. The truth is that even having two identical subs, doesn't guarantee that you will get the results you seek if you are just doing it without taking measurements and without testing various placements for the subs... I learned that the hard way.
The goal with multiple subs is to have each subsequent sub fill in the dips that the previous one could not. This is why it is important to measure the response of your subs at each location, and then use the locations that fill each other's frequency gaps. If all of this sounds too advanced, there is a recent video series on Youtube that was put together by one of this forum's members (who goes by the avatar name of cdy2179), which walks you through the process and does a great job of explaining everything. I would recommend you watch at least episodes 7-10, and you will learn enough to possibly answer your own question.

I've attached the link to the thread which has the info and video link. Good luck with everything, and happy learning!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...k-through.html
Welldun, thank you for your elaborate reply.

I am not an expert myself, but based on my research and what has been said in this forum about being careful of using two different subs, am getting an expert to do exactly what you have shared. This is to ensue one sub fills in the gaps of the other, one to take care of the low lows and the others the mid lows for example. This would be based on measurements and readings, as he has a software and tool. He has recommended the same thing that you have shared. Like you have aptly put, even two identical subs, does not mean it will be perfectly matched, best to get some readings and measurements, to bring together both in a way it complements each other while ensuring good placement.

Thanks for the video, am sure it will come in handy.

The quest for awesome sound, requires much thought, and appreciate the sound advise.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-24-2019, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked: 2208
Ported subs reverse phase at tune. When your Jamo port takes over at 37-40hz it will cancel out what the klipsch is doing 35-45hz. Mixing can he done but keeping the port tune within 1-2 hz is needed. You're going to gave a 10hz difference.

Realistically the extra output from the Jamo won't be worth the trouble it will cause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page