SVS SB16 vs. JL Fathom F212v2 vs. Gotham G213 - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #31 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmoore View Post
@jsc79, I'm originally from Mpls and will be home for Thanksgiving. If OP wont take you up on the opportunity to hear your FV18's I would love to!

I'd also be interested in hearing your Ascend Acoustics too, as I have yet to have heard the RAAL tweeter.

In fact I've promoted the pair you have for sale to a couple of friends back home.

D
For sure, shoot me a PM once we get closer. We usually travel, but I think we are going to the in-laws in Minnetonka so I will be around.

Maybe you can take my set of S2’s back with ya. Lol. They are boxed up and lonely in my basement.

My setup is far from ideal being in an open 1st floor, but it sounds pretty good to me. Lol
darthray likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18
Speakers: L/R Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX - Center - Horizon w/RAAL Surrounds: Sonance VP62R SST/SUR. Vinyl:Rega Planar 3/Ascend Sierra 2
Video: Sony XBR65X900e 65" 4K - Sony UBP-X800 Blu Ray
Power and Processing: Yamaha RXA1030 - Monolith 7X Amp - Minidsp 2X4 HD/WI-DG

Last edited by jsc79; 10-30-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc79 View Post
For sure, shoot me a PM once we get closer. We usually travel, but I think we are going to the in-laws in Minnetonka so I will be around.

Maybe you can take my set of S2’s back with ya. Lol. They are boxed up and lonely in my basement.

My setup is far from ideal being in an open 1st floor, but it sounds pretty good to me. Lol

I will most definitely send you a PM when the time comes. I have a buddy on 'Tonka and one in Shakopee that I tend to visit so I'll be not far at some point. I'm really looking forward to hearing your FV18's! You got the paper cones right?
darthray likes this.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5
post #33 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will most definitely send you a PM when the time comes. I have a buddy on 'Tonka and one in Shakopee that I tend to visit so I'll be not far at some point. I'm really looking forward to hearing your FV18's! You got the paper cones right?
Nope, aluminum.
darthray and derekmoore like this.

Speakers: L/R Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX - Center - Horizon w/RAAL Surrounds: Sonance VP62R SST/SUR. Vinyl:Rega Planar 3/Ascend Sierra 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darian97 View Post
I've followed this thread since you started it although its not very long. Sound quality, features, form factor, and aesthetics are very important to you. You also have a pretty good budget. You owe it to yourself to give Nathan at Funk Audio a call. You won't regret it.
As much as I am saying look and size matter, in the end sound is the ultimate deciding factor. Having not hearing these subs in person, it's like I am taking a leap of faith to the unknown. Funk Audio definitely makes good looking subs. But I also don't want to lose on the sound quality if something else, not as nice looking, can give me the better quality. Again, I am looking for quality not just loudness or going down to abyss level bass. :-)

My dual SVS-16 are playing at -13 db. So in the end, if the new subs are also turned down low enough to be in sync with the rest of the system in my HT, then only thing that will be an improvment is how fast these subs can operate and how low they go to make movies all more realistic and music all the more enjoyable.

Last edited by Steriac; 10-30-2019 at 04:25 PM.
post #35 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I’m in Carver about 30 minutes away. I don’t have the sealed models you are looking at but my FV18’s sound pretty dang good.
Are those the ones in your pic? Man, they look like they belong in an open air concert stage or in a dedicated HT room of 20x30 where they can hidden behind the screen. This is what puts me off because my eyes are so not trained to see something so massive making even my large floor standing Revel Ultimas look tiny. But size wise, Rythmik G25HP maybe okay though their depth makes it harder, my poblem not their's.
post #36 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'd jump all over this offer. Many report that Rythimk's ported subs sound comparable, or even more "musical" than other highly regarded sub mfgr's sealed models.

This is your chance to compare.

If you can wait until Thanksgiving weekend, I'd love to be present.
Sure man. But I am so ready to buy something before the Thanksgiving though. Itch getting stronger by the day being in the mix of so many bass heads.
post #37 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So you have two JTR Cap S2 sitting in your basement? Did you not like them? Those are massive.
post #38 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 3001 Post(s)
Liked: 3863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
Are those the ones in your pic? Man, they look like they belong in an open air concert stage or in a dedicated HT room of 20x30 where they can hidden behind the screen. This is what puts me off because my eyes are so not trained to see something so massive making even my large floor standing Revel Ultimas look tiny. But size wise, Rythmik G25HP maybe okay though their depth makes it harder, my poblem not their's.
The F18 is a real nice looking sub and has a small footprint.
darthray and audiofan1 like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #39 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darian97 View Post
I've followed this thread since you started it although its not very long. Sound quality, features, form factor, and aesthetics are very important to you. You also have a pretty good budget. You owe it to yourself to give Nathan at Funk Audio a call. You won't regret it.
As much as I am saying look and size matters, in the end sound is the ultimate deciding factor. Having not hearing these subs in person, it's like I am taking a leap of faith to the unknown. Funk Audio definitely makes good looking subs. But I also don't want to lose on the sound quality if something else, not as nice looking, can give me the better quality. Again, I am looking for quality not just loudness or going down to abyss level bass. 🙂

My dual SVS-16 are playing at -13 db. So in the end, if the new subs are also turned down low enough to be in sync with the rest of the system in my HT, then only thing that will be an improvment is how fast these subs can operate and how low they go to make movies all more realistic and music all the more enjoyable.
Many people have told you that Rythmik, Funk, PSA, etc. can offer exceptional sound quality that meets or exceeds what you were currently looking at.

I dont think we all work for PSA, Rythmik, Funk, etc - I think we can all just agree that the JL, Gotham and even SVS are made with aesthetic/profit/marketing, etc 1st, Sound quality 2nd while the aforementioned ID companies are allll about sound quality and performance first and foremost. (Maybe except for Funk, damn those are beautiful!)

Anyways, I own a FV25HP, and while I really really really like it, it's almost too articulate and smooth for my tastes which is why I'm moving up to one of PSA's offerings, but it sounds like you would love that tight accurate, clean, bass of what Rythmik or any of these other companies has to offer.

Good luck!

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #40 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So you have two JTR Cap S2 sitting in your basement? Did you not like them? Those are massive.
No. Ascend Acoustic Sierra 2 bookshelf speakers.

The subs are in the big side but not too obnoxious. Coming from a small sealed sub they would seem gigantic. I came from a JL Audio e112 so when the Rythmiks showed up it was kind of funny. To me, not my wife.

The kids kind of have my house a mess but IMO, they don’t look bad. Big but it’s all symmetrical so it looks even across my front wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8ABCD465-335E-458B-BC51-F7CE8923DE13.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	2634312  
darthray and audiofan1 like this.

Last edited by jsc79; 10-30-2019 at 05:27 PM.
post #41 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
As much as I am saying look and size matter, in the end sound is the ultimate deciding factor. Having not hearing these subs in person, it's like I am taking a leap of faith to the unknown. Funk Audio definitely makes good looking subs. But I also don't want to lose on the sound quality if something else, not as nice looking, can give me the better quality. Again, I am looking for quality not just loudness or going down to abyss level bass. :-)

I believe he was just letting you know that there are also better options available that would fit your esthetic requirement/need.

Funk Audio is among the upper echelon in home audio and are custom built for you. Although, I believe that there are moments that they may have something on hand already (perhaps a customer backed out on the deal?) that could be available for purchase. You could always contact them to explore options, and perhaps they already have something that fits your needs.

Note: I'm not a sales rep for Funk, nor have I ever owned one. I just know that everyone that I've met on here that does own them are over the moon with there sound/appearance. And I must say that they are visually stunning. If I had the budget you have, I'd be all over those bad boys.

@PioManiac could probably give you a better idea than I can if he's willing to chime in, as he owns a pair of the sealed 18's and has also had nothing but great things to say about them.

Here is the link to his HT/Lounge so you can marvel at the beauty yourself (they are indeed f'n gorgeous! ).
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post14574776

Also as an aside, I've been EXTREMELY curious about the FV18's (w/paper cone) mentioned as I've heard nothing but great reviews from everyone on here. The one that REALLY has my attention though is JTR's offerings. Especially the 4000ULF. That thing is an absolute ULF monster, and If I were to ever choose those, it would definitely be for HT use. Most likely in a dedicated space. As for how I'm set up now with a living room setting, I would definitely have to give the Rythmiks a go.

Hope this helps,

Darrell

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
post #42 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Many people have told you that Rythmik, Funk, PSA, etc. can offer exceptional sound quality that meets or exceeds what you were currently looking at.

I dont think we all work for PSA, Rythmik, Funk, etc - I think we can all just agree that the JL, Gotham and even SVS are made with aesthetic/profit/marketing, etc 1st, Sound quality 2nd while the aforementioned ID companies are allll about sound quality and performance first and foremost. (Maybe except for Funk, damn those are beautiful!)

Anyways, I own a FV25HP, and while I really really really like it, it's almost too articulate and smooth for my tastes which is why I'm moving up to one of PSA's offerings, but it sounds like you would love that tight accurate, clean, bass of what Rythmik or any of these other companies has to offer.

Good luck!
What PSA sub are you moving to? I’m thinking TV36ipal?

post #43 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Good luck!

You needed to have the paper cone. The FV28 would have been your ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #44 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2861 Post(s)
Liked: 4369
I think one of the best subs you can get if your top priorities are output, sound quality, a reasonable size, and great looks would be PSA's dual opposed 15" sub with the B&C Neo drivers....I think it is the S3012. The Neo drivers have very high excursion, incredibly high motor strength, very light weight cones, high sensitivity, and ultra low distortion. You get the very high low frequency output of home theater, low bass subs, with ultra high sound quality for music. Since it uses 15" drivers, the form factor is very reasonable. Also, due to the dual opposed design, the cabinet is completely inert at any drive level...you can balance a nickel on the sub and it won't fall over.

They don't have the servo technology which is one way to get good sound quality. But another way is just to use better drivers....the B&C Neo's are amongst the best in the world at any price.

I have BMS 18" Neo drivers and they have more output and lower distortion than Rythmik's F18. Just saying, more than one way to skin a cat. However, if you can fit the larger cab of the F18, I do believe its sound quality is top notch.....definitely ahead of REL or JL for far less money. Audiophile brands are going to charge a lot more since, for a big part of their market, expensive=better.
ratbuddy and sk373 like this.

Last edited by bear123; 10-30-2019 at 06:23 PM.
post #45 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
Steriac, same sort of situation as you looking to upgrade from my current dual F113 and am leaning towards the 'boutique' branded subs i.e REL, JL, B&W for their reputation.

Seems a lot of folks are recommending the Rythmik. I just wish there were more reviews out there with measurements. Really hard to compare.

I'm personally leaning towards B&W DB1D and Rythmik G25 as my next set of subs, but the latter is prohibitely high to get in Canada due to the enourmous shipping costs.
https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5ad7...9a18?_k=4kcmlv

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...hp-review.html

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #46 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
I have BMS 18" Neo drivers and they have more output and lower distortion than Rythmik's F18.
Proof please? I didn’t realize one can compare a driver or drivers to a sub system (power subwoofer)?
Demilio likes this.
post #47 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
What PSA sub are you moving to? I’m thinking TV36ipal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
You needed to have the paper cone. The FV28 would have been your ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, you may be right. The FV28 does look killer, but I think the 42 will really beat the brakes off whatever I throw at it.

I spoke to them about a year ago and they said it could go either way, so I didn't know if it was real or not. Either way I'll be keeping the FV25hp and who knows maybe one day I'll pick up a FV28 to pair her with.
ratbuddy and jsc79 like this.

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #48 of 98 Old 10-31-2019, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Funk subs are amazing. I love mine and will never go with anything else, that said the bar for entry has been raised a bit with the end of the 18.0c’s like I have.

Unlike the vast majority of the higher end subwoofers Nathan makes his drivers (and cabinets) entirely in house. They are made from thick ass Baltic birch rather than MDF and look amazing, but what’s really impressive is just how clean and musical they are.

They also have substantially nicer “pro level” 64bit dsps which allow extensive control via a pc (and usually Nathan is happy to help you dial them in).

Now that said, I would have at least considered Rhytmik subs were the 18” models available when I was shopping, but, I still think I would have chosen the Funks simply because I prefer the core design of funk subs better. I’d wager most people would struggle to hear any difference until you pushed your subs to the absolute limits, but with funk subs, the drivers themselves are better and then drivers+amps alone are responsible for the SQ. With rhythmik subs they use lesser quality drivers and amps, but they are equipped with a servo system that lets them greatly exceed their drivers capabilities and at least theoretically play clean right up until they reach their limits.

Either way I think you would be happy.

JL makes beautiful, decent sounding, and horrifically overpriced subwoofers. For my money I’d rather spend a wee bit more and get a funk 18.0LX or a pair of 18.0 etc. JL sub calibration is nice sure, but I’d imagine any system you would use them in already has perfectly capable subwoofer calibration, and if you really want em to sound their best you gotta do it manually anyway.

I don’t think you can find anyone that would argue the Fathoms are bad, they are just not worth the cost of admission.
sigpig likes this.
post #49 of 98 Old 10-31-2019, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 2861 Post(s)
Liked: 4369
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Proof please? I didn’t realize one can compare a driver or drivers to a sub system (power subwoofer)?
Data-bass. It shows detailed output and distortion.

https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5c48...9a18&_k=1wdslq

They are close down low, below 30 Hz. Above that, the BMS driver produces drastically higher output within CEA2010 distortion limits. The Rythmik is a very clean, very low distortion driver, but at the same output levels, the BMS is lower. It is arguably one of the best 18" drivers made, so if used in an ID or retail product would be priced higher than the F18.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 5.14.03 AM.png
Views:	104
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	2634468  

Last edited by bear123; 10-31-2019 at 03:17 AM.
post #50 of 98 Old 10-31-2019, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Sure man. But I am so ready to buy something before the Thanksgiving though. Itch getting stronger by the day being in the mix of so many bass heads.

By no means wait on me. Go check out those FV18's even though they do not seem like a candidate for you. That will at least give you a reference point about the SQ of the Rythmik and perhaps then provide more context about the sound signature and quality of the other recommendations.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5
post #51 of 98 Old 10-31-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia0287 View Post
. With rhythmik subs they use lesser quality drivers and amps
I agree with Funks being top notch but to make statements like these without even knowing how a Rythmik sub works is preposterous. The tech in their amps is totally different. It does not use DSP to alter the sound so most studios and audiophiles use these subs in mixing their audio as it is natural sound. Brian designs his own drivers so would question your statement...

post #52 of 98 Old 10-31-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Data-bass. It shows detailed output and distortion.
They are close down low, below 30 Hz. Above that, the BMS driver produces drastically higher output within CEA2010 distortion limits. The Rythmik is a very clean, very low distortion driver, but at the same output levels, the BMS is lower. It is arguably one of the best 18" drivers made, so if used in an ID or retail product would be priced higher than the F18.
Based on your linked databass, it is driven by an 18kW RMS K20 amp in a 22 cubic inches sealed box. I like to see an ID sub with it being tested. What confused me was that you mentioned your 18" Neo drivers and not your sub. Thanks for the link, I don't venture into driver and DIY.
post #53 of 98 Old 10-31-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2365 Post(s)
Liked: 2988
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia0287 View Post
Funk subs are amazing. I love mine and will never go with anything else, that said the bar for entry has been raised a bit with the end of the 18.0c’s like I have.

Unlike the vast majority of the higher end subwoofers Nathan makes his drivers (and cabinets) entirely in house. They are made from thick ass Baltic birch rather than MDF and look amazing, but what’s really impressive is just how clean and musical they are.

They also have substantially nicer “pro level” 64bit dsps which allow extensive control via a pc (and usually Nathan is happy to help you dial them in).

Now that said, I would have at least considered Rhytmik subs were the 18” models available when I was shopping, but, I still think I would have chosen the Funks simply because I prefer the core design of funk subs better. I’d wager most people would struggle to hear any difference until you pushed your subs to the absolute limits, but with funk subs, the drivers themselves are better and then drivers+amps alone are responsible for the SQ. With rhythmik subs they use lesser quality drivers and amps, but they are equipped with a servo system that lets them greatly exceed their drivers capabilities and at least theoretically play clean right up until they reach their limits.

Either way I think you would be happy.

JL makes beautiful, decent sounding, and horrifically overpriced subwoofers. For my money I’d rather spend a wee bit more and get a funk 18.0LX or a pair of 18.0 etc. JL sub calibration is nice sure, but I’d imagine any system you would use them in already has perfectly capable subwoofer calibration, and if you really want em to sound their best you gotta do it manually anyway.

I don’t think you can find anyone that would argue the Fathoms are bad, they are just not worth the cost of admission.
lower quality amp on the Rythmik! I think not! and I would take the analog input stage they still use any day of the week as it does matter from a SQ stand point the Servo is just icing on the cake
post #54 of 98 Old 10-31-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Liked: 4837
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
lower quality amp on the Rythmik! I think not! and I would take the analog input stage they still use any day of the week as it does matter from a SQ stand point the Servo is just icing on the cake
Statements like this is why I do prefer to not participate in controversial threads like this one. I don't know Nathan personally but I do respect him because he is somebody that does not talk trash of his competitors, same apply to my boss, Brian Ding. Nathan products are of very high quality and his dedication to detail is admirable. We can say the same about Jim Salk which is our custom subwoofer builder. But implying that components from Rythmik Audio are cheap, that is a false statement. I'm guessing the OP thinks our components are cheap because some of them are made in China. What he doesn't know is that the components we use in our amplifiers are sourced from all over the world. Hypex amp modules are made in The Netherlands, capacitors are purchased in the USA (Panasonic) and shipped to China, voice coils are made by Precision Econowind in Florida and shipped to China. Our amplifiers failure rate is very low and life spam is way over today's standards. As an example, Sterling Sound in New York owns 8 x Rythmik Audio F15s since 2008. These subwoofers have been working 24/7 for the last 11 years and not a single amplifier have had a failure. 2 years ago a driver went bad due to operator fault and we immediately shipped a new driver. They also placed an order for a pair of F15HPs to have them as backup. Now they own 10 x Rythmik Audio subwoofers. Last month we serviced a 12 years amplifier. The repair cost $120 with both ways shipping included. An amplifier is good only if it's reliable and can be fixed, not because it's expensive or hand made.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #55 of 98 Old 10-31-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Statements like this is why I do prefer to not participate in controversial threads like this one. I don't know Nathan personally but I do respect him because he is somebody that does not talk trash of his competitors, same apply to my boss, Brian Ding. Nathan products are of very high quality and his dedication to detail is admirable. We can say the same about Jim Salk which is our custom subwoofer builder. But implying that components from Rythmik Audio are cheap, that is a false statement. I'm guessing the OP thinks our components are cheap because some of them are made in China. What he doesn't know is that the components we use in our amplifiers are sourced from all over the world. Hypex amp modules are made in The Netherlands, capacitors are purchased in the USA (Panasonic) and shipped to China, voice coils are made by Precision Econowind in Florida and shipped to China. Our amplifiers failure rate is very low and life spam is way over today's standards. As an example, Sterling Sound in New York owns 8 x Rythmik Audio F15s since 2008. These subwoofers have been working 24/7 for the last 11 years and not a single amplifier have had a failure. 2 years ago a driver went bad due to operator fault and we immediately shipped a new driver. They also placed an order for a pair of F15HPs to have them as backup. Now they own 10 x Rythmik Audio subwoofers. Last month we serviced a 12 years amplifier. The repair cost $120 with both ways shipping included. An amplifier is good only if it's reliable and can be fixed, not because it's expensive or hand made.
Don't blame you one bit! I agree 100% on Nathan and Brian being class act's as there products speak on there behalf, just hard to stand by at times when false statements are made
darthray and imureh like this.
post #56 of 98 Old 10-31-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone who has seen Rythmik amp in person would be very impressed as it looks like hi-end Audio power amplifier with big capacitors and toroidal transformer.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	100
Size:	771.7 KB
ID:	2635020  
post #57 of 98 Old 11-01-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Good luck!
I totally appreciate everyone chiming in with their own experience and POV. My biggest issue is besides the sheer size of some of these subs and the looks, I do not know anything about their sound quality. Funk definitely looks nice but since I have not heard them, it's hard for me tell what they really sound like. I am relying on internet reviews from real life users. But here’s what I noticed (sorry if it sounds cocky), , it seems the associated gears (like the front speakers, processor, source and amps) of these sub owners (may not be everyone here) are not off high quality.

This tells me two things;
1. Either these are pure bass heads who spend most of their budget on the sub and like them regardless of how good they are.
Or,
2. They settle for these subs because of budget constraint.

I believe in buying quality stuff that my budget can handle and I do that by buying used gears. Other than my Mac MX-122, Wadia Intuition 01, BluSound Vault2, Sony TV, Oppo 205 and current SVSs 16s, pretty much everything else is used. I saved a ton of money buying dealer demo Revel speakers, Bryston and Musical Fidelity mono blocks, Furman 20i surge protector, various good quality interconnects and power cords etc.

The reason I am mentioning my gears is to show that I tried my best to go for the best (subjective) quality my wallet could buy. And I have done that after experiencing them first hand and I would like to follow the same philosophy for the subs. Since I will be buying two of these beasts, I am extra cautious because if they do not turn out good then it will be twice as bad and I will regret the hassle of returning them. But it does seem like a lot of you compared SVS, JL or REL with these ID subs and have nothing but good things to say which is an eye opener for me.

Anyways, I am leaning more toward Rythmik G25HP-SE in piano black finish. They seems to be the best of both world (size/ quality/ price) for me. However, they are out of stock till the end of November which is a bummer cause I was hoping to get something before Thanksgiving to enjoy over the long weekend. But can anyone tell me what would be a comparable Funk Audio sub price point wise that may be better (even if it costs a little more)? I understand FA finish is better than any of these other ID companies (and they have really high end subs price point wise), but I'm just into gloss piano finish (unless they can make me carbon fiber finish to go with my Revel Ultima speakers). The only one I see that I like and within my budget is a pair of FA18. But I do not understand the master and slave combo that they have. Is slave just getting the signal from the master in daisy chain setup or the amplification too which basically means slave is a passive? Would love to know more about this.

Again, I thank you all for your input and appologize if my post offended anyone.......not my intent.

Last edited by Steriac; 11-01-2019 at 05:43 PM.
post #58 of 98 Old 11-01-2019, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:

Anyways, I am leaning more toward Rythmik G25HP-SE in piano black finish. They seems to be the best of both world (size/ quality/ price) for me. However, they are out of stock till the end of November which is a bummer cause I was hoping to get something before Thanksgiving to enjoy over the long weekend. But can anyone tell me what would be a comparable Funk Audio sub price point wise that may be better (even if it costs a little more)? .
Good audio gear can last a lifetime, or at least pretty close... 3-4 weeks is nothing in the scheme of things.
I believe Funk builds most subs to order, so you'd be waiting at least that long. You can always call and see if he has anything in stock that would work for you.
d-rail34 likes this.
post #59 of 98 Old 11-02-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I totally appreciate everyone chiming in with their own experience and POV. My biggest issue is besides the sheer size of some of these subs and the looks, I do not know anything about their sound quality. Funk definitely looks nice but since I have not heard them, it's hard for me tell what they really sound like. I am relying on internet reviews from real life users. But here’s what I noticed (sorry if it sounds cocky), , it seems the associated gears (like the front speakers, processor, source and amps) of these sub owners (may not be everyone here) are not off high quality.

This tells me two things;
1. Either these are pure bass heads who spend most of their budget on the sub and like them regardless of how good they are.
Or,
2. They settle for these subs because of budget constraint.

I believe in buying quality stuff that my budget can handle and I do that by buying used gears. Other than my Mac MX-122, Wadia Intuition 01, BluSound Vault2, Sony TV, Oppo 205 and current SVSs 16s, pretty much everything else is used. I saved a ton of money buying dealer demo Revel speakers, Bryston and Musical Fidelity mono blocks, Furman 20i surge protector, various good quality interconnects and power cords etc.

The reason I am mentioning my gears is to show that I tried my best to go for the best (subjective) quality my wallet could buy. And I have done that after experiencing them first hand and I would like to follow the same philosophy for the subs. Since I will be buying two of these beasts, I am extra cautious because if they do not turn out good then it will be twice as bad and I will regret the hassle of returning them. But it does seem like a lot of you compared SVS, JL or REL with these ID subs and have nothing but good things to say which is an eye opener for me.

Anyways, I am leaning more toward Rythmik G25HP-SE in piano black finish. They seems to be the best of both world (size/ quality/ price) for me. However, they are out of stock till the end of November which is a bummer cause I was hoping to get something before Thanksgiving to enjoy over the long weekend. But can anyone tell me what would be a comparable Funk Audio sub price point wise that may be better (even if it costs a little more)? I understand FA finish is better than any of these other ID companies (and they have really high end subs price point wise), but I'm just into gloss piano finish (unless they can make me carbon fiber finish to go with my Revel Ultima speakers). The only one I see that I like and within my budget is a pair of FA18. But I do not understand the master and slave combo that they have. Is slave just getting the signal from the master in daisy chain setup or the amplification too which basically means slave is a passive? Would love to know more about this.

Again, I thank you all for your input and appologize if my post offended anyone.......not my intent.
Solid choice if you do go Rythmik G25hp-SE be prepared for your jaw to hit the floor when unboxing them and a feeling of guilt knowing you should have paid far far more than what you did. As for the comments on stance form an Audio stand point AVS these days is a pretty healthy mix of Audiophiles and non professed Audiophiles, a wealth of knowledge and experience. I myself and many I know have taken the same care in selecting there gear with setups that would make you blush! I'm an Audiophile first and make no qualms about it! my setup is one of synergy and beauty that tickles my fancy for 2/ch sacd,redbook, hi res files , movies etc.. anything I throw at it playback is nothing short of stellar but that's do to proper gear selection and my own personal goal and idea of play back. I love my basshead brethren and sister's here as they are pursuing there idea of system goal's as well, one could define a basshead as just someone who cares about the quality of there bass,its not just about output as many would think is the defining metric of a basshead which I'm happy to call my self one as well
darthray likes this.
post #60 of 98 Old 11-02-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2760 Post(s)
Liked: 2611
Quote:
But can anyone tell me what would be a comparable Funk Audio sub price point wise that may be better (even if it costs a little more)? I understand FA finish is better than any of these other ID companies (and they have really high end subs price point wise), but I'm just into gloss piano finish (unless they can make me carbon fiber finish to go with my Revel Ultima speakers). The only one I see that I like and within my budget is a pair of FA18. But I do not understand the master and slave combo that they have. Is slave just getting the signal from the master in daisy chain setup or the amplification too which basically means slave is a passive? Would love to know more about this.

Master-slave share the amp of the master. Seaton does this also and it works nicely.
Nathan (Funk Audio) could likely do a custom carbon fiber veneer if you wanted and had the money. I've never seen a FA sub in person but based on user reviews and photos there is no better custom craftsman in the business. His subs are literally works of art and are meant to be seen as well as heard. If you have the money and can stand the wait go with custom FA subs.

If not Rythmik is a super solid choice and less expensive.
darthray, imureh and d-rail34 like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page