SVS SB16 vs. JL Fathom F212v2 vs. Gotham G213 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #1 of 98 Old 10-28-2019, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
SVS SB16 vs. JL Fathom F212v2 vs. Gotham G213

Hello bass heads,
Sorry for the confusing title but my situation is bit confusing and needs your input.

I’ve got 2 SVS SB16 (now 2.5 year old). They have served me well and I am fairly happy with them. They are utilized in my dedicated HT room in the basement and kicks (satisfactory) ass. My dedicated HT room is used 80% for movies and 20% for music listening. I do have a separate 2 channel system in the main level family room. Though these days I hardly get any chance to listen to music there due to having two kids under the age of 5. So I may have to resort to using HT room (more than I like) to listen to music.

With this recent shift in my HT usage, I was contemplating doing without SVS and moving toward JL due to their musicality. I have owned RELs for 12+ years and they were superb but that’s mainly for 2 channel, not so much for HT. But I think JL makes good sub to perform equally well for both purposes. One thing I must admit, I find my Revel Salon Ultima floor standing speakers bass heavy enough that almost all the time (unless I am listening to 70s hard rock on Vinyl) I find myself not needing or liking additional bass of a sub.

Having said all this, here’s my dilemma.

Do I…….

a) Keep SVS SB16 and possibly add 2 more and place them at the back of the room for true immersive bass for my HT only? $4K additional exp.
b) Or sell SVS and get 2 Fathom F212v2? I can get a (3 year old) used pair for $8k. This would be pretty comparable to the price tag of 4 new SVS SB16s.
c) Or sell SVS and get 1 Gotham G213 for now and add one later? I can get a (9 year old ) used one for $5k.

Since money is a factor, I want get the most bang for my buck where I will be happy with both music and movie. Again, it will be mostly movies but having the option for music will be great which is where SVS lacks.

I personally like option b. I am not sure how badly I need to have bass coming from the back of the room so option a may not be the right one. But the thought of having a pair of Gotham down the road exites me. But that's the most expensive route for the long run and for the short run I will miss not having a pair of subs that is truly a minimum for HT setup.

What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 10-28-2019, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2758 Post(s)
Liked: 2603
I say take a look at Rythmik subs. And the new PSA subs using pro drivers.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 98 Old 10-28-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 3843
SVS SB16 vs. JL Fathom F212v2 vs. Gotham G213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steriac View Post
Hello bass heads,

Sorry for the confusing title but my situation is bit confusing and needs your input.

I’ve got 2 SVS SB16 (now 2.5 year old). They have served me well and I am fairly happy with them. They are utilized in my dedicated HT room in the basement and kicks (satisfactory) ass. My dedicated HT room is used 80% for movies and 20% for music listening. I do have a separate 2 channel system in the main level family room. Though these days I hardly get any chance to listen to music there due to having two kids under the age of 5. So I may have to resort to using HT room (more than I like) to listen to music.

With this recent shift in my HT usage, I was contemplating doing without SVS and moving toward JL due to their musicality. I have owned RELs for 12+ years and they were superb but that’s mainly for 2 channel, not so much for HT. But I think JL makes good sub to perform equally well for both purposes. One thing I must admit, I find my Revel Salon Ultima floor standing speakers bass heavy enough that almost all the time (unless I am listening to 70s hard rock on Vinyl) I find myself not needing or liking additional bass of a sub.

Having said all this, here’s my dilemma.

Do I…….

a)Keep SVS SB16 and possibly add 2 more and place them at the back of the room for true immersive bass for my HT only? $4K additional exp.

b)Or sell SVS and get 2 Fathom F212v2? I can get a (3 year old) used pair for $8k. This would be pretty comparable to the price tag of 4 new SVS SB16s.

c)Or sell SVS and get 1 Gotham G213 for now and add one later? I can get a (9 year old ) used one for $5k.

Since money is a factor, I want get the most bang for my buck where I will be happy with both music and movie. Again, it will be mostly movies but having the option for music will be great which is where SVS lacks.

I personally like option b. I am not sure how badly I need to have bass coming from the back of the room so option a may not be the right one. But the thought of having a pair of Gotham down the road exites me. But that's the most expensive route for the long run and for the short run I will miss not having a pair of subs that is truly a minimum for HT setup.

What say you?

You should talk to @muscles . He had the SVS and the Fathom. By far he was blown away by the Rythmik G25HP. That is what I would recommend and save money too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 98 Old 10-28-2019, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
You should talk to @muscles . He had the SVS and the Fathom. By far he was blown away by the Rythmik G25HP. That is what I would recommend and save money too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had all the subs you have mentioned (I had dual F113s, which is basically a gotham).

2 SB16's would be the lowest output per dollar on the ID sub list. The F18 is better from Rythmik for less and the G25HP is one of the best sealed subs on the planet from an output and sound quality standpoint. If you aren't in a hurry I know Rythmik is in the process of making a G28HP that will be a dual opposed sealed 18" solution with 2k watts. That will be the end game sound quality, output sub around pretty much.

Get a new Rythmik over a 5 year old JL Audio (they are also prone to amp problems, google it).

My .02

Greg
darthray, eljaycanuck and atabea like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #5 of 98 Old 10-28-2019, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 286
How big is your HT room?

What are you using for room correction?
post #6 of 98 Old 10-28-2019, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
I say take a look at Rythmik subs. And the new PSA subs using pro drivers.
Will they be musical like JL or even like SVS SB16? Seems like their subs are geared more toward HT only setup.
post #7 of 98 Old 10-28-2019, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Will they be musical like JL or even like SVS SB16? Seems like their subs are geared more toward HT only setup.
Actually the rythmik uses a servo control and are known for their musical abilities.

Any good sub will or should equally adept at both music and HT. Might just come down to your preference for sealed it ported.

Basically I was just giving you suggestions that are likely better than jl for less.
post #8 of 98 Old 10-28-2019, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
I have had all the subs you have mentioned (I had dual F113s, which is basically a gotham).

2 SB16's would be the lowest output per dollar on the ID sub list. The F18 is better from Rythmik for less and the G25HP is one of the best sealed subs on the planet from an output and sound quality standpoint. If you aren't in a hurry I know Rythmik is in the process of making a G28HP that will be a dual opposed sealed 18" solution with 2k watts. That will be the end game sound quality, output sub around pretty much.

Get a new Rythmik over a 5 year old JL Audio (they are also prone to amp problems, google it).

My .02

Greg

Wow, that's some confident quality assurance post on behalf of Rythmik. Unfortunately I have never listened to one so it's pretty hard for me to get into something like that. Though the raving reviews I see on the internet must have some truth behind it. And internet review is how I heard of SVS and didn't commit to buy until I auditioned them at the local Hi-Fi electronics store. I was in the market for a REL G1 but the dealer swayed me into buying 2 SVS SB16 and I thought it was pretty good choice. But I would take 2 REL G1 any day over SVS if I had the fund then. Maybe I am biased toward REL or JL because of my exposure to them and because I want not just subs that go low for HT but subs that are lighting fast for music.

So my question is, are these ID brands such as Ryhtmik, PSA, Funk Audio, Seaton can compete with brands like JL, REL, Velodyne for comparable size, 15" driver or below? And what about room correction software, PEQ and adjustments like that? I also don't have the room to put in some of the sheer size of these subs which are insanely huge. My HT room is only 14x23x9 which doesn't give me enough room to put two of these bad boys.

Just to be clear, though I am looking for bang for my buck but I do value quality (fast, accurate, low distortion, controlled) over quantity (SPL, going down to single digit hertz, very large drivers) to go with rest of my gears.

Last edited by Steriac; 10-28-2019 at 11:29 PM.
post #9 of 98 Old 10-28-2019, 11:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Liked: 1096
Quote:
Wow, that's some assured quality assurance post on behalf of Rythmik. Unfortunately I have never listened to one so it's pretty hard for me to get into something like that. Though the raving reviews I see on the internet must have some truth behind it. And internet review is how I heard of SVS and didn't commit to buy until I auditioned them at the local Hi-Fi electronics store. I was in the market for a REL G1 but the dealer swayed me into buying 2 SVS SB16 and I thought it was pretty good choice. But I would take 2 REL G1 any day over SVS if I had the fund then. Maybe I am biased toward REL or JL because of my exposure to them and because I want not just subs that go low for HT but subs that are lighting fast for music.

So my question is, are these ID brands such as Ryhtmik, PSA, Funk Audio, Seaton can compete with brands like JL, REL, Velodyne for comparable size, 15" driver or below? And what about room correction software, PEQ and adjustments like that? I also don't have the room to put in some of the sheer size of these subs which are insanely huge. My HT room is only 14x23x9 which doesn't give me enough room to put two of these bad boys.

Just to be clear, though I am looking for bang for my buck but I do value quality (fast, accurate, low distortion, controlled) over quantity (SPL, going down to single digit hertz, very large drivers) to go with rest of my gears.

I currently run Dual Rythmik F18's in my music setup and they are much tighter than JL Audio's. Servo subs are musical first home theater second, but they excel at both exceedingly. I replaced 2 F113 fathoms and 2 SB 16s with dual G25HP's at one time and they blew all 4 of the other ones away. My friend who I sold the SB16's too still has them, they sound pretty muddy and boomy compared to what I have now. Just trying to steer you in the right direction for less money.

Greg

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #10 of 98 Old 10-28-2019, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
I currently run Dual Rythmik F18's in my music setup and they are much tighter than JL Audio's. Servo subs are musical first home theater second, but they excel at both exceedingly. I replaced 2 F113 fathoms and 2 SB 16s with dual G25HP's at one time and they blew all 4 of the other ones away. My friend who I sold the SB16's too still has them, they sound pretty muddy and boomy compared to what I have now. Just trying to steer you in the right direction for less money.

Greg
I am not dissing your opinion or choice of subs at all and totally appreciate your intent. I wish I had a chance to audition this before buying them or even considering them. But the biggest problem may be whether I even have room. My equipment shelving is too wide to leave enough room to add two of this subs of this size after I have the fronts.
muscles likes this.
post #11 of 98 Old 10-29-2019, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
How big is your HT room?

What are you using for room correction?
My room is 14x23x9 with the right wall open to the rest of the basement. Front of the room has a 5 feet deep pocket where I have the TV, the gears, the LCR and the 2 SVS sub right now.

For room correction, I have base traps three corners of the room and the left wall is pretty much fully covered with acoustic absorbers. I also have absorbers and diffusers behind the speakers and the subs. I do have additional absorbers in the back wall and do have plans to add diffusers as well. So I'd say acoustically it's not bad, but by no means perfect.

If it helps, I am using 7.2.4 system of all Revel. Ultima Salon for fronts, Voice for center, 2 pairs of Embrace for surrounds and rears and 2 pairs of S30 for ATMOS heights.
post #12 of 98 Old 10-29-2019, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
My room is 14x23x9 with the right wall open to the rest of the basement. Front of the room has a 5 feet deep pocket where I have the TV, the gears, the LCR and the 2 SVS sub right now.

For room correction, I have base traps three corners of the room and the left wall is pretty much fully covered with acoustic absorbers. I also have absorbers and diffusers behind the speakers and the subs. I do have additional absorbers in the back wall and do have plans to add diffusers as well. So I'd say acoustically it's not bad, but by no means perfect.

If it helps, I am using 7.2.4 system of all Revel. Ultima Salon for fronts, Voice for center, 2 pairs of Embrace for surrounds and rears and 2 pairs of S30 for ATMOS heights.

I'll echo previous suggestions- the PSA NEO drivers are getting stellar reviews for sound quality from some knowledgeable folks on here - a pair of the V1512's should provide a great balance of sound quality and HT performance. Alternatively a pair of sealed Rythmiks would be great for music, F18's, F25's, G25's, whatever form factor you can accommodate. The F18's would be comparable in output to what you have now, you would be going up from there. PSA also offers the NEO option in their sealed units as well.

I haven't heard the PSA's, but I have heard sealed Rythmiks (along with a lot of other subs) and they can hang with anything else out there for sound quality. Both PSA and Rythmik have excellent customer service also.
darthray likes this.
post #13 of 98 Old 10-29-2019, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
I am not dissing your opinion or choice of subs at all and totally appreciate your intent. I wish I had a chance to audition this before buying them or even considering them. But the biggest problem may be whether I even have room. My equipment shelving is too wide to leave enough room to add two of this subs of this size after I have the fronts.

Depending upon where you live, there is a good chance an AVS Rythmik owner would be willing to give you a demo.

Have you checked this thread? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ts-thread.html
darthray likes this.

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5
post #14 of 98 Old 10-29-2019, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
W My HT room is only 14x23x9 which doesn't give me enough room to put two of these bad boys.

My room is 13x14x9 I currently have two subs. Both small footprint but could easily fit a pair of subs as large as the Rythmik FV25. You have the room you just have to find it.

IMO REL and JL are more lifestyle products with enormous markup and mediocre warranty and support. If you really want to spend >$5K on a sub get a Funk Audio. Looks, build quality and performance way beyond REL or JL.
darthray, bear123, sigpig and 2 others like this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #15 of 98 Old 10-29-2019, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll echo previous suggestions- the PSA NEO drivers are getting stellar reviews for sound quality from some knowledgeable folks on here - a pair of the V1512's should provide a great balance of sound quality and HT performance. Alternatively a pair of sealed Rythmiks would be great for music, F18's, F25's, G25's, whatever form factor you can accommodate. The F18's would be comparable in output to what you have now, you would be going up from there. PSA also offers the NEO option in their sealed units as well.

I haven't heard the PSA's, but I have heard sealed Rythmiks (along with a lot of other subs) and they can hang with anything else out there for sound quality. Both PSA and Rythmik have excellent customer service also.
Yeah, it seems there's definitely a lot of positive reviews and threads in vairous forums Rythmik, PSA, LTR and Funk Audio. I always throught these subs for true dedicated home theaters where more fund goes into the asthetic of the theater than how the audio component look and placed (since they are usually hidden). Though my basement has the dedicated space but it does not have the true theater look as I do not want to spend that money due to a future move plan wihtin next 2-3 years. So I care how the components look and I'll be honest, the sheer size of these subs will look out of place. Which is why smaller multiple subs maybe better optin but I know they probably won't have the same slam as some of this big drivers. But I am definitely getting the itch to place an order for a pair based on what you all are saying.
post #16 of 98 Old 10-29-2019, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, it seems there's definitely a lot of positive reviews and threads in vairous forums Rythmik, PSA, LTR and Funk Audio. I always throught these subs for true dedicated home theaters where more fund goes into the asthetic of the theater than how the audio component look and placed (since they are usually hidden). Though my basement has the dedicated space but it does not have the true theater look as I do not want to spend that money due to a future move plan wihtin next 2-3 years. So I care how the components look and I'll be honest, the sheer size of these subs will look out of place. Which is why smaller multiple subs maybe better optin but I know they probably won't have the same slam as some of this big drivers. But I am definitely getting the itch to place an order for a pair based on what you all are saying.
For pure size, I figured if you were entertaining the notion of a pair of Gothams, most of the other choices would be ok. The PSA V1512 is a modest 24" x 17" x 25" by comparison.

If a premium finish is the thing, Salk audio will custom finish Rythmik subs quite nicely for a reasonable amount. Something to look into. You could ask the folks at PSA if there's any optional finish options, I don't know offhand.
darthray and derekmoore like this.
post #17 of 98 Old 10-29-2019, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I've followed this thread since you started it although its not very long. Sound quality, features, form factor, and aesthetics are very important to you. You also have a pretty good budget. You owe it to yourself to give Nathan at Funk Audio a call. You won't regret it.
sigpig and d-rail34 like this.
post #18 of 98 Old 10-29-2019, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 3925 Post(s)
Liked: 4815
Quote:
You room is only 2000 cu ft. In a room that size I would go with a sealed subwoofer to get room gain. From Rythmik Audio, a pair of E15HP2s would be my recommendation. If you are not in a hurry, we have the G22 coming out by end of Nov. It's a dual 12" opposed driver sealed subwoofer like the G25HP. It has dual DS1204 drivers + HX800XLR3 amp. The E15HP2 is the same E15HP but with DS1520 driver + HX1000XLR3 amp. You asked about Rythmik Audio sound quality. Sound Quality is or main goal, even over output. That is the main reason top industry recording, mastering and broadcasting studios use our subwoofers. Just a few days ago Warner Bros Sound in New York and Curb Records in Nashville joined the Rythmik Audio customers family.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #19 of 98 Old 10-29-2019, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked: 2987
^^^^ + 1 on Enricoclaudio's recommendation of the E15HP2's duals should do nicely. I know the hesitation of going with an ID sub as I'm sure most here as well can remember but since my purchase of a Rythmik F18se just under 2yrs ago, I'm still smitten by its musicality and as one who doesn't believe in a sub for HT and a separate for music, bass accuracy is my primary goal for my subs and just any will do! Rythmik is worth its salt in spades and then some
darthray likes this.
post #20 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 05:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
You room is only 2000 cu ft. In a room that size I would go with a sealed subwoofer to get room gain. From Rythmik Audio, a pair of E15HP2s would be my recommendation. If you are not in a hurry, we have the G22 coming out by end of Nov. It's a dual 12" opposed driver sealed subwoofer like the G25HP. It has dual DS1204 drivers + HX800XLR3 amp. The E15HP2 is the same E15HP but with DS1520 driver + HX1000XLR3 amp. You asked about Rythmik Audio sound quality. Sound Quality is or main goal, even over output. That is the main reason top industry recording, mastering and broadcasting studios use our subwoofers. Just a few days ago Warner Bros Sound in New York and Curb Records in Nashville joined the Rythmik Audio customers family.

Where did you get the 2k cu ft? It's closer to 3k with an open wall. He has SB16's now, I would think you'd want F18's at a minimum to not be downgrading for HT.
post #21 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Anything from PSA, Rythmik, etc is going to walk all over those SVS. The new pro driver B&C PSAs are an amazing value.

Remember it comes down to number of cones and area of said cones. The SB16 is a 15" cone so a 176" of area. A PSA V3611 is dual 18"s with 509" of area.

Theater: JVC RS540U, 2.35:1 142" screen, Onkyo RZ1100, Panasonic UB820, Outlaw Audio M2200 Monoblock x3, Klipsch RF7II, RC64II, RS62II, 5800CII x4 Atmos, PSA V3611 Subwoofer x2.
2 Channel: Parasound P6, Parasound A23+, Rega Planar 6 with Ortofon 2M Bronze, Klispch La Scala II, Behringer NX6000D, B&C 21DS115-4 powered Devastator V1 x2.
post #22 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Steriac, same sort of situation as you looking to upgrade from my current dual F113 and am leaning towards the 'boutique' branded subs i.e REL, JL, B&W for their reputation.

Seems a lot of folks are recommending the Rythmik. I just wish there were more reviews out there with measurements. Really hard to compare.

I'm personally leaning towards B&W DB1D and Rythmik G25 as my next set of subs, but the latter is prohibitely high to get in Canada due to the enourmous shipping costs.

See Profile
post #23 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I'd be interested in that upcoming G22, but you guys need a better way to somehow distribute into Canada.

See Profile
post #24 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 3843
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
I'd be interested in that upcoming G22, but you guys need a better way to somehow distribute into Canada.
The shipping rates to Canada are quite competitive, what exactly are you looking for? You won't be able to go and demo any of the ID subs in a brick and mortar store if that is what you are asking
darthray likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #25 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmoore View Post
Depending upon where you live, there is a good chance an AVS Rythmik owner would be willing to give you a demo.

Have you checked this thread? https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ts-thread.html
I'm in Minneapolis. Thanks for the link but I don't see anyone from Mpls with Rythmik or Funk or PSA.
post #26 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For pure size, I figured if you were entertaining the notion of a pair of Gothams, most of the other choices would be ok. The PSA V1512 is a modest 24" x 17" x 25" by comparison.

If a premium finish is the thing, Salk audio will custom finish Rythmik subs quite nicely for a reasonable amount. Something to look into. You could ask the folks at PSA if there's any optional finish options, I don't know offhand.
Yeah, Gotham with 13" driver being stacked, doesn't pose a challange as I have room vertically.
post #27 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
I'm in Minneapolis. Thanks for the link but I don't see anyone from Mpls with Rythmik or Funk or PSA.
I’m in Carver about 30 minutes away. I don’t have the sealed models you are looking at but my FV18’s sound pretty dang good.
darthray likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18
Speakers: L/R Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX - Center - Horizon w/RAAL Surrounds: Sonance VP62R SST/SUR. Vinyl:Rega Planar 3/Ascend Sierra 2
Video: Sony XBR65X900e 65" 4K - Sony UBP-X800 Blu Ray
Power and Processing: Yamaha RXA1030 - Monolith 7X Amp - Minidsp 2X4 HD/WI-DG

Last edited by jsc79; 10-30-2019 at 12:04 PM.
post #28 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc79 View Post
I’m in Carver about 30 minutes away. I don’t have the sealed models you are looking at but my FV18’s sound pretty dang good.
@jsc79, I'm originally from Mpls and will be home for Thanksgiving. If OP wont take you up on the opportunity to hear your FV18's I would love to!

I'd also be interested in hearing your Ascend Acoustics too, as I have yet to have heard the RAAL tweeter.

In fact I've promoted the pair you have for sale to a couple of friends back home.

D

5.1: Power - Denon 4308ci, Fronts - Def Tech BP9040's, Center - Def Tech CLR 2000, Surrounds - Def Tech PM1000's, Sub's - Rythmik E15HP x2, Display - Panasonic TC-55AS530U, TT - Rega Planar 2 w/ Dynavector 10x5

Last edited by derekmoore; 10-30-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #29 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked: 2548
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc79 View Post
@Steriac , I would take this offer and bring your SB16's over to compare.
darthray and derekmoore like this.
post #30 of 98 Old 10-30-2019, 01:07 PM
Advanced Member

Wink

Quote:
I'd jump all over this offer. Many report that Rythimk's ported subs sound comparable, or even more "musical" than other highly regarded sub mfgr's sealed models.

This is your chance to compare.

If you can wait until Thanksgiving weekend, I'd love to be present.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page