Please recommend a subwoofer or subwoofers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By javan robinson
  • 2 Post By yatesd
  • 1 Post By GatoGoat
  • 1 Post By darthray
  • 1 Post By RayGuy
  • 1 Post By jujuman200
  • 1 Post By Drew Neilson

post #1 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Please recommend a subwoofer or subwoofers

I want to buy a subwoofer and I'm interested in ultra-low frequencies, although to be honest, I'm new to subwoofers and so I don't know how concerned with ultra-low-frequencies I *should* be. All that I know is that I want a subwoofer that accurately reproduces all frequencies as low as possible, loudly enough to fill my home theater room, and possibly bigger rooms (for when I move).

My budget: I don't have a set-in-stone budget. However, I'd prefer not to spend more than a few hundred dollars, but I might be willing to increase that if that is required to meet my sound quality preference. I'm sorry that my budget is so fuzzy.

Subwoofer enclosure size limits: I don't really have any enclosure size limits.

Room size: my home theater system is in a room that serves as a home theater room as well as a bedroom. The part that contains my home theater is a near-square, as you can see in the attached picture that shows my TV. It is about 13' by about 13' by about 8'--1,352 square feet--without taking into account the fact that parts of the ceiling are sloped, as you can see in the upper-right corner of the first picture, but that is probably insignificant. The other part contains my bed, which you can see in the second attached picture. In the second picture, you can see the chair that I sit in when I watch TV shows and movies, and you can see in the upper-right corner of the picture that the ceiling is slightly sloped. The third and fourth pictures show my closets, which are inside of the wall that is behind my chair and are facing the bed. They encompass most of the wall behind the chair. They have foldable doors that are supposed to open and close, but I broke off one of the doors, and it doesn't close anymore. I might be able to get it fixed. The ceiling in both closets is sloped, as shown in the last picture. If the acoustics of my closets matters, I can provide more pictures, and if the dimensions of the part of the room containing my bed matters, I can measure the length and width of that part of the room, but I can't measure it's height because the ceiling is a bit more sloped there.

I provided information about the parts of the room behind my chair in case they will impact acoustics.

I've noticed that that the bass from my DCM KX-12 Series Two speakers--my front-left and front-right speakers--seems to be quieter in my seat than it is in other areas of the room, and possibly quieter than the hallway outside of my room.

Primary uses: I think that the choice of a 'music' sub over a 'home theater' sub (or vice-versa) is a false choice. Ideally, I want a high-quality sub that is great for TV shows, movies, games, and music. I don't know if I can put exact numbers on how much my home theater system gets used for TV shows and movies vs. games vs. music, but more TV shows and movies than games, and perhaps more gaming than music. I don't want to have to choose a sub that is great for one type of content over a sub that is great for a different type of content. I want accurate reproduction of as many of the low frequencies as possible; possibly including sub-audible, though to be honest, I haven't experienced sub-audible frequencies at appreciable volumes, so I don't know what I'm missing. Perhaps you guys can fill me in on what that is like. If I had all frequencies above 0 Hz through 20 khz equalized to output at the same SPL, and was watching Stranger Things or Jurassic Park, playing Rocket League or Minecraft (possibly while music is playing in Spotify), what would that feel and sound like? What about if I, in the future, watch concerts of my favorite musicians?

On the subject of music, which I sometimes listen to in the background while playing Rocket League or Minecraft, I have many, many Spotify playlists, and a few of the ones that I listen to the most are "pop, soul, & R&B", "rock", and "disco & funk". I forgot to mention that one of my other favorite TV shows is Glee; many of the songs in my playlists are songs that were covered on Glee but are in their original versions.

The volume at which I listen to content: I don't understand what the volume level options on my AVR--"absolute" and "relative"--are, but I've set it on "relative", and I set the volume so that I can hear what the actors are saying. So that I can give you a numerical value, I popped my Jurassic Park Blu-ray into my Xbox, went to a dialog-only scene, and increased the volume until the dialog got to a comfortable volume, it got to -17.0 dB. However, my listening volume changes due to my setup's inability to maintain a constant volume across sources. I switched to the Hulu app and started streaming "Late Night With Seth Meyers" and -17.0 dB was too loud for that, so I dropped it down to -20 dB and it's still a little bit too loud, but it's past 11 PM now and I can't continue testing volume levels because it is late and I don’t live alone.

How soon I want to have a subwoofer or subwoofers: I am looking forward to buying and receiving a subwoofer or subwoofers as soon as possible (unless a particular model that I decide that I want will be going on sale during the holiday season, in which case I might wait, depending on how long I'd have to wait).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_203246335_iOS.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	816.1 KB
ID:	2635172   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_203150363_iOS.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	963.9 KB
ID:	2635174   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_205259585_iOS.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	847.8 KB
ID:	2635176   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191031_210204460_iOS.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	797.2 KB
ID:	2635178  

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S, Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Are you into whitewater? I see that on your tv. I paddle pretty frequently around Ohio, WV, PA, TN and Costa Rica when I'm able to.

As far as your subwoofer search, you likely won't find ULF type range with a budget so small. If you look on Craigslist in your area you may find a used PB-2000, which goes down to approx 17hz and would be a good first "real sub". Or look for its little brother, the PB-1000, which also may be adequate for your bedroom.

Good luck
rhelliott2 likes this.

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #3 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by javan robinson View Post
Are you into whitewater? I see that on your tv. I paddle pretty frequently around Ohio, WV, PA, TN and Costa Rica when I'm able to.
I'm not into whitewater rafting; my AVR's screensaver shows a few still images, and that picture is one of them. 😆 I think that it's funny that my AVR's screensaver made you think that I was into whitewater rafting. 😆

Quote:
As far as your subwoofer search, you likely won't find ULF type range with a budget so small. If you look on Craigslist in your area you may find a used PB-2000, which goes down to approx 17hz and would be a good first "real sub". Or look for its little brother, the PB-1000, which also may be adequate for your bedroom.

Good luck
What does it feel and sound like to watch a TV show or movie, play a game, or listen to music with a subwoofer that supports ultra-low frequencies?

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S, Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 01:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
Quote:
I'm not into whitewater rafting; my AVR's screensaver shows a few still images, and that picture is one of them. 😆 I think that it's funny that my AVR's screensaver made you think that I was into whitewater rafting. 😆

Quote:

Good luck
What does it feel and sound like to watch a TV show or movie, play a game, or listen to music with a subwoofer that supports ultra-low frequencies?
Whitewater kayaking, not rafting 😉

And it feels like when you're in the car, on the highway, driving fast and someone rolls only one of the windows down.

I believe they call it "wobble".

I can be more descriptive tomorrow. Although I'm sure others will chime in by then

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #5 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Really great detail...not a lot experience in this area but some feedback.

- I would target a 12" ported but also consider non ported. I just had a non-ported 12" Infinity SW-12 fail (that I was pleased with) and looking for a replacement due to an amp plate failure after about 10 years.
- Look in the sticky thread for subwoofers less than $300
- Look in the "found deals" thread
- Look in the classified section
- Watch for anyone upgrading their system from something that might work for you and reach out directly about a purchase
- Look in slick deals
- Look for "open box" and outlet specials...scratch and dings, etc.
- Get familiar with a what a "good deal" looks like and potentially wait until black friday/cyber Monday
- be flexible for the best deal
darthray and dpc716 like this.
post #6 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:

Id have to guess when you say "ultra low" , Im thinking at below 10hz..My sub combo probably hits that area or just above and really it doesnt feel like much...You house will groan and you may hear some things rattling for no reason , but physically not much. There may be a heaviness in the air that you may sense.. Im sure certain people can probably pick up on it better than others , and there are probably others on this forum that have super powerful setups might provide a more intense experience that I currently get...But the "Experience" probably doesn't really happen until 16hz or so..Thats when pressure starts to build like you dived into a deep pool , or when an airplane takes off...Everyones senses things a little differently , so you may hear/feel something else...As far as budget wise and a sub to get you there??? Ultra low HZ is an expensive hobby...
dpc716 likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 3455
Quote:

ULF is felt, not really heard. And not all shows/movies is recorded the same, and most music content do not go below 30Hz. A sub that reach 10-12Hz are big and expensive. For ULF, there is always this option when on a budget, or if budget is no object. On a concrete floor;
Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide

Darth
dpc716 likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 11-01-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

What does single digit HZ feel like??? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

post #9 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Personally I'd go sealed in a room that size and if you think you'll eventually move to an apartment or condo sharing walls with neighbors you will want sealed for that too. If you think you'll be in a detached home in an open room, ported would be best. What extent you should plan for the future depends on time horizon and how certain you are of what your eventual living arrangement will be.

New ported subs in the $300 range generally don't play lower than 25-30 hz. With cheaper subs the adage that "sealed is better for music" also tends to hold true. So that's what I'd suggest.

If your receiver has good room correction and you can get good deal on a used pro amp, I'd suggest one of these:

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/SBE-118

It has a naturally humped response but that should be offset to a large degree by your room gain.
post #10 of 19 Old 11-01-2019, 11:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 2968 Post(s)
Liked: 2738
Expectations > Budget. Keep saving ...
darthray likes this.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Since I wrote my original post, I've dropped my requirement for infrasonic frequencies at ~ -17 dB or -20 dB because I've learned that subwoofers that can reproduce those frequencies at that volume are out of my price range. Still, I want something within my price range and that isn't too big but that provides low-distortion bass and vibrations without annoying my Mom. I'm living in her house for the time being; the room that I provided pictures of was her guest bedroom until I moved in. Currently, the bass seems to be weaker in my primary listening position, and stronger in other areas of the room and even OUTSIDE of the room. This room is on the top floor and I've noticed that when I'm on the floor below I can hear my bass (my KX-12 Series 2 front-left and front-right speakers each have one 12" woofer; see my signature). My mom has commented that while she can hear the bass from my speakers, it doesn't bother her. However, she told me one night that she was about to go to bed and to please turn down the boomy sound. In addition, a week or so ago some workers came by to repaint her living room, and she asked me the night before to not play anything boomy while they were here.
So, I want to have better bass in my room, bass that is even throughout the room, and I also want to reduce or eliminate the bass that can be heard on the floor below. I wonder if a subwoofer and bass management will make it *easier* for me to enjoy bass and vibrations without potentially bothering her. I want to make my bass as good as it can before the point at which it starts to bother her, and then STOP. I'll use whatever techniques I can in order to do all of that. If it means isolating the subwoofer somehow, fine.
Due to the small size of this room, I'm weary of buying a large subwoofer because of its size, but I might consider doing so if that will lead to a more even response down into the super-low frequencies. Someone told me in another thread that having a subwoofer that can play deep and loud and potentially bother other people doesn't mean that I have to play it loud enough to do so, but I wonder if it'll even be possible for me to turn up the volume enough that I can feel those low-frequency vibrations. So it's a balancing act: I want an even bass response down into the low frequencies, I'd prefer that it be small, I'd prefer to be able to play it loud enough that I can *feel* the vibrations, I don't want to bother my mom on the floor below, and I don't want to spend more than a few hundred dollars.
I'm looking at Dayton Audio subwoofers at Parts Express (specifically, from smallest to largest--not in order of preference--the SUB-1000L (manual), SUB-800 (manual), SUB-1000 (manual), SUB-1200 (manual), and SUB-1500 (manual)) because The Wirecutter is currently recommending the SUB-1200 as the best budget subwoofer and I'm now considering the "SUB-" product line.
It would be especially helpful if you would take a look at my speakers (see my signature) before making any recommendations.

post #12 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm only staying at my mom's house until I can get some other things worked out. It's not permanent. Before I was here, I lived in an apartment complex. If I move from here to another apartment complex, I'll face an issue that is similar to the issue of how to enjoy bass and vibrations without bothering my mom: how to enjoy bass and vibrations without bothering my neighbors.

post #13 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
[snip]......
I'm looking at Dayton Audio subwoofers at Parts Express (specifically, from smallest to largest--not in order of preference--the SUB-1000L (manual), SUB-800 (manual), SUB-1000 (manual), SUB-1200 (manual), and SUB-1500 (manual)) because The Wirecutter is currently recommending the SUB-1200 as the best budget subwoofer and I'm now considering the "SUB-" product line.
It would be especially helpful if you would take a look at my speakers (see my signature) before making any recommendations.
If you are remotely handy, you could build these in a weekend......
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...gn-thread.html

This is the subwoofer driver....
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...oofer--295-036

Here is an amp to power the sub....you could integrate it into the back or not.....
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...ifier--300-803

All said and done should be around $350 or so and will bet great for music AND movies....
I have a pair myself.....

Juju
darthray likes this.

Wish List: 1- Red Five DEVASTATOR MINI, 2- Red Five DEVASTATOR LFE, 1- BOSS platform.
Anthology http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html

post #14 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujuman200 View Post
If you are remotely handy, you could build these in a weekend
I'm not. It's not that I can't use a screwdriver, but right now I'm more interested in pre-built subs. Still, my brother used to build DIY subs, so I'm kind of intrigued by that idea. Maybe another time, but I think that right now, I'm more interested in something pre-built.
jujuman200 likes this.

post #15 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
I'm not. It's not that I can't use a screwdriver, but right now I'm more interested in pre-built subs. Still, my brother used to build DIY subs, so I'm kind of intrigued by that idea. Maybe another time, but I think that right now, I'm more interested in something pre-built.
All good.... just putting all the options on the table because you never know ..... I will say this, you get more bang for your buck when you DIY because you can build exactly what you want for "most of the time" less money.... IF you keep your system sane....like normal people....

Good luck on your journey.....

Juju

Wish List: 1- Red Five DEVASTATOR MINI, 2- Red Five DEVASTATOR LFE, 1- BOSS platform.
Anthology http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html

post #16 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to the forum thread that I started, where the responses convinced me that I need to buy a sub, instead of continuing to rely on my large, full-range front-left and front-right speakers for bass: AVR or amplifier that can amplify the LFE channel and then mix it into the others? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And R

Also: click sound

post #17 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I'd really suggest a DIY VBSS (or a pair of them) or a DIY sub using the Ultamax 18-22 (Marty Sub). DIY is the only way you'll get sub 20Hz performance at your budget.

Though DIY will give you a lot more performance for the dollar here are my thoughts on commercial options:

Best $300 Sub - BIC Acoustec PL200

Best $400 Sub - RSL Speedwoofer 10S

Best $500 Sub - Monoprice Monolith THX 10 Ported

Best $700 Sub - Ryhmik F12-300

Best $800 Sub - Hsu Research VTF-3 MK5

Best $1000 Sub - PSA Value 18

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #18 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 286
I'll reiterate something I said earlier, I think you should go sealed. Not only will you get better quality sound on a budget, but ported subs will have more sub 40hz output than sealed, which will annoy your mother and your future neighbors, since these lower frequencies travel through walls and floors more than higher ones. Sealed will give you a flatter in room response when room gain in your room is considered.

With main speakers that have 12 inch drivers, I would get a sub or subs with drivers at least that large. PSA is coming out with a new dual opposed sealed sub (two 12" drivers in the same cabinet) for $699. That should give you lots of output, decent sound quality, and a performance profile that won't annoy neighbors too much. The Chane I mentioned earlier would also be good, but you'd have to obtain an external amp. These are over your budget, but there's not much sense in getting a weak sub with midbass capable speakers. And a cheap ported sub won't sound great for music and will probably annoy your mother and future neighbors.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-12-2019, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
I'll reiterate something I said earlier, I think you should go sealed. Not only will you get better quality sound on a budget, but ported subs will have more sub 40hz output than sealed, which will annoy your mother and your future neighbors, since these lower frequencies travel through walls and floors more than higher ones.
I kind of WANT sub-40-Hz bass and I want to be able to dial it back to the point where she cannot hear nor feel it but I still can. That's easy to do because all I'd have to do is walk around the house while something is playing upstairs, and note whether I still hear and/or feel anything or not, and if I do, go upstairs and turn the subwoofer level down a bit, then go back downstairs, rinse and repeat. Of course, that would be hard or impossible to do in an apartment complex, since it might not be possible to go into other people's apartments and listen (if the occupants aren't home and/or don't want you to be in their home). Maybe listening in the hallway and asking my neighbors for their opinion of my subwoofer's volume would have to suffice.

Quote:
Sealed will give you a flatter in room response when room gain in your room is considered.
Source? Please explain.

Quote:
With main speakers that have 12 inch drivers, I would get a sub or subs with drivers at least that large.
That's one reason that I'm considering the Dayton Audio SUB-1200 and SUB-1500.

Quote:
And a cheap ported sub won't sound great for music and will probably annoy your mother and future neighbors.
Do you consider the Dayton Audio SUB-1200 to be a poor sub? The Wirecutter doesn't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
subwoofer , subwoofer advice , Subwoofers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page