• 2 Post By CDMC2
  • 2 Post By JimWilson

post #1 of 27 Old 11-20-2019, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Velodyne gone?

Did I miss something or has Velodyne recently gone the way of the dodo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-20-2019, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Did I miss something or has Velodyne recently gone the way of the dodo?
Gone gone gone............

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*
post #3 of 27 Old 11-20-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked: 1743
Velodyne still exists, but it appears that their audio business does not. Its domain name (velodyneacoustics.com) is no longer in use.

If you want to buy a lidar (laser radar) system, they may be able to help. https://velodynelidar.com/

(It's the descendent of the original company.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-21-2019, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 106
It is sad, but they had a good run and really helped establish the legitimate subwoofer market.
I remember about 20 years ago I bought a servo 18" Velodyne (not a DD or HGS, it was a special they made for Huppins (OneCall) with a 18" driver and a 250 watt amp from their 15" sub.

Anyway I auditioned subs and I was amazed at how much better it sounded then anything else even remotely close in price. It added real depth to the classical pieces I was into at the time and movies were amazing. That was a great purchase.
post #5 of 27 Old 11-21-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Liked: 2882
Velodyne was my first experience into a quality compact subwoofer about 14 years ago when i purchased the SPL1200-R. Still blown away on how well it performed. I'm not surprised on this outcome as the writing was on the wall for the last while with increasing customer support complaints. To bad.
MegaFlop, darthray and drh3b like this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #6 of 27 Old 11-21-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2110 Post(s)
Liked: 4263
My first subs(that I still have in the back basement) were some low power (120watts) Velodyne servo 12 inch subs. Used them for at least 10 years. Replaced them with Rythmiks that rival or beat Velodyne's latest and greatest before they went out of business.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F18.html
MegaFlop and indebtbassfreak like this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!

Last edited by drh3b; 11-21-2019 at 08:55 AM.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-21-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
If you are looking to replace your Velodyne, look at these folks:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com

I have a pair of PSA S3000i I should probably list my equipment in my signature.
I am familiar with all the current ID offerings and have built custom subs.

20+ years ago Velodyne was special though.
post #8 of 27 Old 11-21-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Case study example of how a company that basically started and "owned" a category is no longer in business. In their heyday, however, they made some nice subs.
post #9 of 27 Old 11-21-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
Case study example of how a company that basically started and "owned" a category is no longer in business. In their heyday, however, they made some nice subs.

Well Velodyne still exists they just moved to LIDAR. Maybe they didn't want to deal with the shrinking margins on subwoofers and the ID competition. It could be that they are more interested in research and subwoofers became a solved problem.
post #10 of 27 Old 11-21-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaFlop View Post
Well Velodyne still exists they just moved to LIDAR. Maybe they didn't want to deal with the shrinking margins on subwoofers and the ID competition. It could be that they are more interested in research and subwoofers became a solved problem.
There was an article I linked months ago about it in the Velodyne support thread. Short answer, David Hall lost interest in subwoofers, and is making bank with LIDAR.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #11 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 9751
Velodyne, Paradigm, and Polk all made good subs in the 90's. Then Internet Direct came around and offered a lot more performance for the money. I wouldn't even consider a box store sub in 2019.
post #12 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Velodyne, Paradigm, and Polk all made good subs in the 90's. Then Internet Direct came around and offered a lot more performance for the money. I wouldn't even consider a box store sub in 2019.
Velodyne kinda was an ID company by the time they went out of business. I believe they were only selling from their website. Unfortunately, they were still selling at full list price. A DD18+ equals a Rythmik F18 above a certain point, but the Rythmik beats it down low. The Velodyne cost about 3 times as much. No competition. I'm sure if David Hall cared about the business, he could have made it competitive, but he didn't. I don't believe for a second that it would be that hard to bring the prices down, Velodyne was being made in China at the end.
Paradigm still makes good subs, but, like SVS, you can do better for less.
We are lucky that there are so many good choices in subs right now.
Even now the DD18+ isn't a bad sub, it was way over priced. Priced like Rythmik or PSA it would be a lot more competitive.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #13 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 115
My father swore by Velodyne for years back in the day. Boston Acoustic speakers too. In 2001 when I built him the ORIGINAL devastator sonotube sub with a 15" Adire Audio driver tuned to around 14hz he changed his tune. Pretty much everyone made better, cheaper subs and when SVS hit the scene. Velodyne slowly disappeared into the distance.
post #14 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Velodyne was my first experience into a quality compact subwoofer about 14 years ago when i purchased the SPL1200-R. Still blown away on how well it performed. I'm not surprised on this outcome as the writing was on the wall for the last while with increasing customer support complaints. To bad.
I bought the SPL-1500R 4 years ago from a friend of mine. It was new and I paid $350 for it. Absolute steal
indebtbassfreak likes this.

*ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY*
*TV: Sony XBR65Z9D* - *BD Player: Pioneer UDP-LX 500* - *AVR: Yamaha RX-A3070* - *Audio System: (2) Funk Audio 6.1P’s towers - (2) Funk Audio 3.4D’s surrounds - (1) Funk 18.0C sub*
post #15 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1489 Post(s)
Liked: 2882
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerain View Post
I bought the SPL-1500R 4 years ago from a friend of mine. It was new and I paid $350 for it. Absolute steal
Considering that was a $2000+ sub,,,, uh yeah one heck of a steal all right.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #16 of 27 Old 11-22-2019, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I started all this with a Velodyne DPS12 sub back in 2004.

It is still the most beautiful looking affordable sub on the market. Too bad...

Proud Member of "Bass-a-holic Anonymous" - Dual Bottle of Choice: SVS PC-13 Ultra + SVS PC-12 NSD. Drink of Choice: Ready Player One Delorean Race
DaLite 0.9 Grey 110" screen. Epson 3000 1080P Projection. 7.2 SVS and Energy Reference + Parasound THX Ultra Amplification system.
post #17 of 27 Old 11-23-2019, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 287
This thread reminded me that I have a couple of SPL series subs sitting in a closet doing nothing.... I should probably put them up for sale....
post #18 of 27 Old 12-01-2019, 02:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 357
I remember when I heard my first real sub, it was a Velodyne 10" (in 2001, VX-10, I think) ported sub at Circuit City. Been obsessed with bass ever since.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #19 of 27 Old 12-02-2019, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 682
"The report of my death was an exaggeration." - Samuel Clemens

It looks like David Hall, Velodyne's former owner, has confirmed that Velodyne Acoustics has been purchased by Germany-based Audio Reference.

So, Velodyne seems to have a new home in Hamburg, Germany and is alive and well!

https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/vel...cs-revitalised
SteveC356 likes this.
post #20 of 27 Old 12-03-2019, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
Velodyne kinda was an ID company by the time they went out of business. I believe they were only selling from their website. Unfortunately, they were still selling at full list price. A DD18+ equals a Rythmik F18 above a certain point, but the Rythmik beats it down low. The Velodyne cost about 3 times as much. No competition. I'm sure if David Hall cared about the business, he could have made it competitive, but he didn't. I don't believe for a second that it would be that hard to bring the prices down, Velodyne was being made in China at the end.
Paradigm still makes good subs, but, like SVS, you can do better for less.
We are lucky that there are so many good choices in subs right now.
Even now the DD18+ isn't a bad sub, it was way over priced. Priced like Rythmik or PSA it would be a lot more competitive.
Was scanning the forum for help and based on your response in this thread I think you might be able to offer me some advice. One of my 2 Velodyne DD12’s in a home theater just went out. Sent it in for repair this weekend to an authorized service center in TX (Velodyne website literally went blank while it was shipping across the country) and the package was damaged in the process. Packed by FedEx and got a call and photos from the service center showing damage to the sub case, baffle, and told it was damaged beyond repair. Despite paying for fedex to pack it, they put a 50lb sub in a box rated for 30lbs and poorly wrapped in bubble wrap. Long story short, I would like to replace the dd12 to get things back as good as they once were. Guy at the repair place said he had a Dd18+ he could sell me for $4k but my question is, what else should I consider that would complement my existing DD12 if I am in that price range, especially since Velodyne is basically not going to support me likely moving forward (I assume).
Appearance is not an issue as they are hidden under the screen behind a black cloth enclosure.
The other speakers up front are Wilson Audio Duettes for L,R and center
Thanks so much for any suggestions.
post #21 of 27 Old 12-03-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ruvo View Post
Was scanning the forum for help and based on your response in this thread I think you might be able to offer me some advice. One of my 2 Velodyne DD12’s in a home theater just went out. Sent it in for repair this weekend to an authorized service center in TX (Velodyne website literally went blank while it was shipping across the country) and the package was damaged in the process. Packed by FedEx and got a call and photos from the service center showing damage to the sub case, baffle, and told it was damaged beyond repair. Despite paying for fedex to pack it, they put a 50lb sub in a box rated for 30lbs and poorly wrapped in bubble wrap. Long story short, I would like to replace the dd12 to get things back as good as they once were. Guy at the repair place said he had a Dd18+ he could sell me for $4k but my question is, what else should I consider that would complement my existing DD12 if I am in that price range, especially since Velodyne is basically not going to support me likely moving forward (I assume).
Appearance is not an issue as they are hidden under the screen behind a black cloth enclosure.
I would probably sell the remaining Velodyne, and look into replacing them with Rythmiks.
A pair of F18's, would cost about $3100 and absolutely destroy them in output, and at least as good SQ.
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/index.html

Velodyne was recently bought by a German company, so it's possible support might re appear.
darthray and Andrew Ruvo like this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #22 of 27 Old 12-03-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Ruvo View Post
The Rythmik makes a very good product.

I would also suggest the JL Audio f113. I use the two f113's in my theater with Linn speakers. I use a JL Audio f110 in our 2 channel room with Apogee full range ribbon speakers. The f113 replaced Velodyne DD12's. I use the DD12's in the TV room now.
Andrew Ruvo likes this.
post #23 of 27 Old 12-04-2019, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
"The report of my death was an exaggeration." - Samuel Clemens

It looks like David Hall, Velodyne's former owner, has confirmed that Velodyne Acoustics has been purchased by Germany-based Audio Reference.

So, Velodyne seems to have a new home in Hamburg, Germany and is alive and well!

https://www.stereonet.co.uk/news/vel...cs-revitalised
Awesome news! I hope they become more competitive, price-wise.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #24 of 27 Old 12-04-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1294
I have a velodyne sub. Don't know the model number. It's been relegated to an exercise room. I use it with an old receiver that doesn't have a sub out because you can wire the fronts through it. I mainly listen to sports talk radio when I workout so I'm not sure how much use the sub gets.
post #25 of 27 Old 12-05-2019, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Velodyne (with rare exception) was head and shoulders above the competition in the 80s through 90s. Their servo subs allowed for reasonable sized subs with good output and low distortion. If you were willing to live with large enclosures, you could do better (i.e. the Muse 16, which was basically the size of a refrigerator on its side). I used Velodynes for years, F1000, pair of ULD-12, SPL-1000, HGS-10 and HGS-12. For music, I still believe the ULD series was the best sounding of the bunch.

To me Rythmik has replaced Velodyne, but at far better pricing for better performance. I have a L12 ($500) which is every bit the equal of the HGS-12, but at 1/4 of the price, not including inflation. The F15HP I use in my main system is a major step forward from the ULD and HGS series, having a tighter, cleaner, nearly dry sound, but having far greater output capability when needed.

As others have noted, the market changed. I attribute it less to internet direct, than the availability of high power, small, inexpensive amplifiers. Hoffman's iron law has never changed, subwoofers are a trade off of sensitivity, enclosure size, and extension. Pick two. When you can use a 1000 watt amp with built in equalization, when only a 100 watt amplifier was available before, you can give up sensitivity and use a smaller enclosure while still maintaining output and extension. Driver design evolved around this newfound ability resulting in a major closing of performance between small enclosure servo and non-servo subs (aided also by built in dsp which can monitor the subwoofer output and limit distortion).
drh3b and darthray like this.
post #26 of 27 Old 12-05-2019, 07:44 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 3449
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 View Post
I remember when I heard my first real sub, it was a Velodyne 10" (in 2001, VX-10, I think) ported sub at Circuit City. Been obsessed with bass ever since.
One of my first real subs was the VX-11. I think a lot of us were probably introduced to this obsession with a Velodyne.
darthray and drh3b like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #27 of 27 Old 12-05-2019, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I still have my Optimum 8 of 10 years, and see little reason to replace it. It has room correction EQ, and being a sealed enclosure, the bass is usually less sloppy than with most ported speakers I've had in small rooms, perhaps not in absolute terms vs ported subs, but in terms of having placement options. That can help you solve room effects that can make your bass sound sloppy at home when it had sounded good at a store that has acoustic treatments behind and aside the speakers. It had cost me $800-$900 on sale. Maybe it doesn't move enough air to fill a large room, especially when playing movies and not two channel music, but I feel that its class D 1200 watt amp is clean, and gets the most out the unit's compact size and low weight. I figure this unit probably gives me lower distortion bass if the levels are set up right, than most tower speakers below 80 Hz (it's not just about how low in Hz the units are rated for), because it's an engineered solution. It does lack a servo system. I like the SVS SB-4000 with its room correction, but it's insanely heavy in comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page