Buttkicker stopped working - please help! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-23-2019, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Buttkicker stopped working - please help!

I have Berkline chairs with buttkickers in my home theater. I have 2 rows - 4 seats in the back and 3 seats in the front. The middle seat in the front row has stopped working. I am using 2 amps to power them (1 for each row).

Originally, the entire front row wasn't working and it turned out that the black connector on seat "1" had come loose (which I assumed then didn't allow for the connection to the other seats). I've checked the wiring on the splitter box and it all seems to be connected properly. The non-working buttkicker is seat "2" on the splitter box with seat "1" and seat "3" working properly (and seat "4" is not used because I don't have a seat 4).

Any ideas on what the issue can be?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-23-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK... I ruled out the buttkicker itself because I was able to disconnect seat "1" and use that wire to connect seat "2" and it worked. So it seems like there must be an issue with the splitter box but when I connected the 3 seats to connections 1, 3 and 4 (for seats "1", "3" and "2") it still didn't work. I also checked the speaker wire from the splitter to the buttkicker and I didn't see any damage to the wire where the connection would be broken. I'm really stumped.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-24-2019, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 11-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Do you have an Ohm meter I would check the splitter for continuity..

My Humble HT: Integra 40.3 Audyssey Calibrated / Denon 1930Ci SACD/DVD-A Player / Sony 3600 3D blu Ray / Behringer iNuke 3000DSP / Mach 5 IXL 18.4 Subwoofer / Optoma HD142x 3D REady 1080P DLP Projector / 92" 16:9 Manual screen / miniDSP HD2x4
post #5 of 11 Old 11-24-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post
Do you have an Ohm meter I would check the splitter for continuity..
I don't - can I get (a cheap) one at Home Depot? I assume if there is no reading on the device from the splitter it means that the splitter might be damaged with respect to Seat 2?

This is the thing I have. The buttkicker works because I tested it with wiring from another chair. Here's what I can tell so far:

• Seat 1 works with #1 on the splitter
  • Seat 2 DOES NOT work with #2 on the splitter
  • Seat 3 works with #3 on the splitter
  • Seat 2 WORKS with the wires from #1 on the splitter
  • Seat 2 DOES NOT work hooking it up to #4 on the splitter

Last edited by javeryh; 11-24-2019 at 05:43 PM.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-24-2019, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked: 3665
The only thing I can think about, since the TT do work and so does the amp. Is maybe one side of those splitters, got damage by reclining those seats for those TT that do not work. Perhaps replacing those Y-splitters, could confirm or deny if it is the problem.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 11-24-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-24-2019, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 36
there might be something wrong with the wire. I saw some multimeters on Home Depot website for like 28bucks.. you just set it for ohms and check each end to see if you get a reading.. you could try using the wire that works on the one you thin is broke as it could be a wire is disconnected a bit and not enough connected to make it work..

My Humble HT: Integra 40.3 Audyssey Calibrated / Denon 1930Ci SACD/DVD-A Player / Sony 3600 3D blu Ray / Behringer iNuke 3000DSP / Mach 5 IXL 18.4 Subwoofer / Optoma HD142x 3D REady 1080P DLP Projector / 92" 16:9 Manual screen / miniDSP HD2x4
post #8 of 11 Old 11-26-2019, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
The only thing I can think about, since the TT do work and so does the amp. Is maybe one side of those splitters, got damage by reclining those seats for those TT that do not work. Perhaps replacing those Y-splitters, could confirm or deny if it is the problem.

Darth
It's funny you say that because I think there was some damage done by the chair reclining - there's not a lot of room back there. The box shows no visible damage but there is a metal bar on the bottom of the seat that came loose from the chair's frame. I don't even know how to fix it because the screws and bar are bent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post
there might be something wrong with the wire. I saw some multimeters on Home Depot website for like 28bucks.. you just set it for ohms and check each end to see if you get a reading.. you could try using the wire that works on the one you thin is broke as it could be a wire is disconnected a bit and not enough connected to make it work..
I totally forgot I had some extra wire... I'm going to see if replacing the wire down there will get things working. Maybe there is something wrong with mine.
post #9 of 11 Old 11-26-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
It's funny you say that because I think there was some damage done by the chair reclining - there's not a lot of room back there. The box shows no visible damage but there is a metal bar on the bottom of the seat that came loose from the chair's frame. I don't even know how to fix it because the screws and bar are bent.

I totally forgot I had some extra wire... I'm going to see if replacing the wire down there will get things working. Maybe there is something wrong with mine.
Hoping for you, that replacing the Y-splitter and/or the wires to the TT will fix the problem. Since it is possible that even if the sleeve show no damage, if it was getting squish often at same spot. Could damage the wire inside. And the same principle can be apply, to the wires going directly to the TT.

Good hunting, in your trouble shooting.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 11-26-2019 at 04:52 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-01-2019, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Hoping for you, that replacing the Y-splitter and/or the wires to the TT will fix the problem. Since it is possible that even if the sleeve show no damage, if it was getting squish often at same spot. Could damage the wire inside. And the same principle can be apply, to the wires going directly to the TT.

Good hunting, in your trouble shooting.

Darth
Thanks. I replaced the wires and still had the same issue, unfortunately so I think there is a problem with the splitter box itself. I just thought of another (less elegant) solution but wanted to bounce it off some people before trying it and potentially damaging something.

Could I split the speaker wires coming OUT of the splitter box? I could easily wire 2 seats to one connector that I know already works. I would wire Seat 1 and Seat 2 to the same place on the splitter box (Seat 1 currently works). Seems like that should work unless there are some electrical issues this would cause that I'm unaware of...
post #11 of 11 Old 12-01-2019, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javeryh View Post
Thanks. I replaced the wires and still had the same issue, unfortunately so I think there is a problem with the splitter box itself. I just thought of another (less elegant) solution but wanted to bounce it off some people before trying it and potentially damaging something.

Could I split the speaker wires coming OUT of the splitter box? I could easily wire 2 seats to one connector that I know already works. I would wire Seat 1 and Seat 2 to the same place on the splitter box (Seat 1 currently works). Seems like that should work unless there are some electrical issues this would cause that I'm unaware of...
It can be, but depending of how low your amp goes Ohms wise. It might be prudent to connect the speaker wires to your TT, in series.
The positive wire from your Amp, to positive connection of TT #1 .
The negative wire from your Amp, to the negative connection of TT #2 .
Then one single wire from the negative connection of the TT #1, to the positive connection of the TT #2.

Some members do have more knowledge than I do, on this thread;
Shakers - Simple/Cheap Hookup - Visual Guide
Perhaps, explaining your situation on that thread. Could provide better answer, since it must be something simple.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 12-01-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page