1Likes
  • 1 Post By 3fingerbrown

post #1 of 8 Old 11-27-2019, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anthem ARC Question

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable can answer a question for me. I'm about to pull the trigger on an Anthem MRX 720 + Paradigm Prestige 75F/55C/25S speaker lineup for my 5 channels and Paradigm CI PRO P80R in ceilings for a 5.2.4 setup. I'm trying to narrow down my sub-woofer list to a final choice. In the running are 2 X Paradigm Defiance X12 or HSU's ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive Package.

My question is: Do I need an ARC capable sub-woofer if I'm already getting an ARC Receiver? The HSU would save me a good chunck of change that I indulge elsewhere. I'd rather do the HSU if I won't be missing anything.

Thank you for you time and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-27-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everalone View Post
Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable can answer a question for me. I'm about to pull the trigger on an Anthem MRX 720 + Paradigm Prestige 75F/55C/25S speaker lineup for my 5 channels and Paradigm CI PRO P80R in ceilings for a 5.2.4 setup. I'm trying to narrow down my sub-woofer list to a final choice. In the running are 2 X Paradigm Defiance X12 or HSU's ULS-15 MK2 DualDrive Package.

My question is: Do I need an ARC capable sub-woofer if I'm already getting an ARC Receiver? The HSU would save me a good chunck of change that I indulge elsewhere. I'd rather do the HSU if I won't be missing anything.

Thank you for you time and advice.
Former Anthem/ARC user---the MRX will do a very good job of calibrating your subwoofers.
No need for a Paradigm subwoofer, HSU makes very good subwoofers. Remember placement
Of the sub(s) is most important.

(Main)-Marantz 6012*Outlaw Audio M2200*Rythmik F12 subs*Paradigm Signature S6,C1,S1
******Harman Kardon DMC1000 (music)-Assassin HTPC (movies).
(Bedroom)-Marantz SR5003*Paradigm Studio 40,SE Center,SE One*SVS SB-2000 subs*Sony S6200
(Music room)-Outlaw Audio RR2150*Sierra Two ribbon speakers*Rythmik L12 sub*Yamaha CDR-HD1500
post #3 of 8 Old 11-27-2019, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
Former Anthem/ARC user---the MRX will do a very good job of calibrating your subwoofers.
No need for a Paradigm subwoofer, HSU makes very good subwoofers. Remember placement
Of the sub(s) is most important.
Good god, that was a quick response! Thank you for the confirmation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 11-27-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked: 706
You don't need a Paradigm sub. My MRX 720 with ARC/Genesis does an fantastic job calibrating my dual HSU VTF-15H mk2 subs.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #5 of 8 Old 11-28-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 75
The HSU ULS-15 mk2 subs are excellent sounding. I had dual ULS’s before and they’re more than enough for 95% of bass lovers imho. I wouldn’t stress too much on getting subs with built-in ARC abilities since the MRX already has it. As another poster has already mentioned placement of subs is crucial to getting the full potential out of your subs. Unless your subs are placed different distances from your MLP Anthem’s ARC Genesis does a great job. Mine aren’t equidistant to MLP so I’m using a MiniDSP 2x4HD and my JTR’s blend better with my speakers now. Good luck!

Speakers: KEF R300 (R,L), KEF R600C (C), JBL 306p mkII (Surrounds), KEF Ci160QR (In-Ceiling) Subs: JTR Captivator S1 x2 Processor/Amps: Anthem AVM60, ATI AT4003, Rotel RB985 mkII Misc: ATV 4k, Sony PS4, Samsung K8500, MiniDSP 2x4HD Video: BenQ HT2050, 100” Screen Room: 2500 cu sq. ft. sealed on suspended floor

Last edited by leehan76; 11-28-2019 at 01:22 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-28-2019, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I just bought some Paradigm Elite series in-wall speakers and am in the same boat, looking at subs.

I looked closely at the Defiance X series, it is a decent value from a big name brand speaker company like Paradigm. Still, it is hard to compete with the consumer direct brands like HSU, SVS, and PSA for the money you get a lot more performance.

Just take a look at these graphs by Audioholics:

And here is the HSU-15 Mk2:

You can see the X-12 falls off at 20 HZ, while the HSU digs down deep to 10 HZ. The HSU is also twice as much output at higher frequencies.

I don't have a lot of experience with ARC. But here is my point, as good as ARC is at room correction, it can never make a sub double its output or go much lower. So I'd go with the the HSU subs, no question about it. I've just made the same decision myself, I took a hard look at the Paradigm subs but I can get so much more sub for the buck with other brands...
Legairre likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all very much for your responses. Decided to look into non - Paradigm subs seriously. Down to ULS 15 and the Monolith 12 subs since they cost the same.

Last edited by 4everalone; 12-01-2019 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Meant monolith 12, not 15
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 32
SVS has some great deals expiring tonight, like a new PB3000 for $1250...

https://www.svsound.com/collections/...ype_subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page