• 1 Post By Shadowed

post #1 of 4 Old 11-29-2019, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Bass frequencies

What frequency ranges are considered sub-bass, bass, and mid bass ?

Which ones are more important for movies vs music listening?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-01-2019, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 1861
1. I consider sub-bass that which is typically produced by subwoofers: 0-80 Hz. I consider 81-200 Hz midbass, and 201-300 Hz or so to be upper bass. Others may define it differently. I don't really consider much above 300 Hz to be "bass" - have you ever heard a 300 Hz sinewave?

https://www.teachmeaudio.com/mixing/...udio-spectrum/

2. I can't really answer this question because the whole range is equally important for both.

HT: Samsung PN64H5000 (recommended settings) | NAD T758 V3 | Buchardt S400 (2) | Polk LSiM 702 F/X (2) | Infinity RS152 (4) | Subs TBD (2)
PC: Micca OriGen G2 | Mackie MR624 (2)

Last edited by Soulburner; 12-02-2019 at 12:38 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-01-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 356 Post(s)
Quoted: 5560 Post(s)
Liked: 10796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowed View Post
What frequency ranges are considered sub-bass, bass, and mid bass ?

Which ones are more important for movies vs music listening?

Hi,

Different people will inevitably define the bass frequencies in different ways. One comprehensive definition of bass frequencies is offered in the Section of the Guide I am linking below. I think you may find the detailed discussion helpful.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...nces.html#VIIA

Briefly, I would define bass frequencies as starting at about 500Hz, where the Equal Loudness Contours show our hearing start to change. I would define mid-bass frequencies as starting at about 120Hz where the Dolby/THX standards originally pegged subwoofer frequencies, and continuing down to about 50Hz, which is the lower range for chest punch sensations. And, I would define very low-bass frequencies as starting at about 30Hz.

(To make things a little more confusing, ULF is typically defined as starting at 20Hz. And, that 20Hz frequency was originally the lower limit of the Dolby/THX standards.)

The article I linked also attempts to distinguish between the bass demands required for most music, and the demands required for 5.1 movies. In general, the special effects in movies place more demands on subwoofers, below about 35Hz or so, than is found in most music. In addition to the lower frequencies found in many movies, the LFE (low-frequency effects) channel is recorded 10db louder than the regular channels.

Subwoofers which attempt to reproduce movie special effects, at significant sound levels, not only have to play lower than they would for most music, they also have to play those lower frequencies at louder volume levels. So, although all bass frequencies are equally important in one sense, some frequencies may be more meaningful for movies than they are for music.

There! That should be as clear as mud now. But, the more detailed explanation may help a little more.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-01-2019, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 971 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Wow, there is a whole book in there, thank you
mthomas47 likes this.