DSP subwoofers vs non-DSP - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Funk Audio
  • 1 Post By imureh
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
checker9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,351
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 378
DSP subwoofers vs non-DSP

I might be in the market for a new subwoofer for a music only application - in future, so no need for advise now. I have often seen mention of some subwoofers having DSP and others no DSP. Those discussions have little to no information on the pros/cons of DSP. At least I found none. Reading between the lines, it looks as if DSP mainly affords protection from blowing the subwoofer while non DSP give you more control over setting the subwoofer for different controls like dampening, although I do not know what that does.

I am wondering: 1) what are the pros/cons of DSP, 2) what Q controls and other settings some subwoofers have etc do for the sound and set-up and can you not do that for DSP subwoofers and 3) what are some examples of popular subwoofers that are and are not DSP - I think the PSA and SVS are DSP and the Hsu and Rythmik are not, is that right?

Last edited by checker9; 12-01-2019 at 08:15 AM.
checker9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 12-01-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,501
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
One thing to note is that DSP amp adds additional ~5-9ms delay (~ 5-9ft) to your MLP. It could be a big issue if you don’t have subs placement options and if you own a 2 channel pre-amp/AVR that does not have room correction.
tvuong is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,501
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
tvuong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by checker9 View Post
I might be in the market for a new subwoofer for a music only application - in future, so no need for advise now. I have often seen mention of some subwoofers having DSP and others no DSP. Those discussions have little to no information on the pros/cons of DSP. At least I found none. Reading between the lines, it looks as if DSP mainly affords protection from blowing the subwoofer while non DSP give you more control over setting the subwoofer for different controls like dampening, although I do not know what that does.

I am wondering: 1) what are the pros/cons of DSP, 2) what Q controls and other settings some subwoofers have etc do for the sound and set-up and can you not do that for DSP subwoofers and 3) what are some examples of popular subwoofers that are and are not DSP - I think the PSA and SVS are DSP and the Hsu and Rythmik are not, is that right?
I have 2 JTR's and 2 Rythmiks in my hybrid setup. I can use the Rythmiks for music because they have no delay and have no DSP. The JTR's DSP makes the bass come out too late to use. There are some complicated ways around this. If you want the best sounding, easiest to use sub for music you need to call Rythmik and speak to Enrico. I have owned many many subs in the last 4 years. Rythmik for music has no equal, period.

Greg

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
muscles is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
Funk Audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Halfmoon Bay BC, Canada
Posts: 590
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
One thing to note is that DSP amp adds additional ~5-9ms delay (~ 5-9ft) to your MLP. It could be a big issue if you don’t have subs placement options and if you own a 2 channel pre-amp/AVR that does not have room correction.

For many DSP'ed subs that may be true, higher end processors are much better than that. Our dsp system for example adds a system latency of only 0.6ms(about 8")
basshead81 and muscles like this.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
Funk Audio is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,501
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked: 2545
^^ That is good to know. It explains why FA is excellent and carries a higher price tags. I hope to hear a FA sub some day.
tvuong is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 606
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Audio View Post
For many DSP'ed subs that may be true, higher end processors are much better than that. Our dsp system for example adds a system latency of only 0.6ms(about 8")
Had I known this you would have sold me a couple of subs a few weeks back...dang.

Greg

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - Dual JTR RS1's - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: 2xJTR Noesis 212RT 1 210RM - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's - PS Audio M700 - McIntosh MT5 - GoldNotePH10 - Oppo UDP-205 - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
muscles is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 12-02-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,788
Mentioned: 232 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked: 3838
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Had I known this you would have sold me a couple of subs a few weeks back...dang.



Greg


Never too late Greg with all the subs you have ordered you owe it to yourself to listen to Funk subs.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muscles likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off