Is a 50ft RCA cable to connect a subwoofer to receiver too long? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-01-2019, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is a 50ft RCA cable to connect a subwoofer to receiver too long?

I bought my first subwoofer ever (Monolith 10 THX), and because of the space issues, I'm not placing the sub next to the TV spand, and so I've bought a 50ft RCA CL2 cable, without realizing that it could be a limit restriction. Can any confirm that a 50ft RCA cable to connect the sub to receiver is OK?

The reason I bought it long was to run it around the door frame, instead under the carpet.

This is the one I've bought: Monoprice 50ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video)

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I'm fairly certain I have the 35 foot version of this (mine is several years old I think) and it works perfectly with no issues whatsoever. You'll be fine. It's a very nice shielded cable.

7.2.4 with Denon X4300W, ATI 2005 & 1807 Amps, Kef Reference 203 Mains, 202c Ctr, 201 Surr, Ci200RR-THX Top Rears, Q300 Frt Hts, E301 Rear Surr, Power Sound Audio PSA dual S3600i Subs,
GIK & DIY Acoustics, JVC X790/RS540 Projector, Stewart Neve 100" Screen, Panasonic Blu-Ray DMP-UB900, Xbox One X, Crowson Transducers, INSTEON, UDI ISY994i, Amazon Echo
post #3 of 5 Old 12-01-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
The longest cable I've used is a 25' one https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-U...s%2C137&sr=8-5

The Monoprice one looks similar. The Mediabridge has a CCS (copper clad steel) core. (That's about as cheap as things get.) Its original use was for radio frequencies, but it works well as a subwoofer cable. Its shielding characteristics are good.

The major difference among coaxial cable is capacitance. I don't know which cable you're using, but the two series that specify a capacitance list 22 pF/foot. That's good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 359
That cable will work fine. The main issue that “makes or breaks” long unbalanced cables is shielding. Coax shielding is as good as it gets – typically 100% or close – because it’s double-shielded, both braided and foil. The only downside to coax is that it’s typically stiff and unwieldy.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #5 of 5 Old 12-02-2019, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhweb View Post
I bought my first subwoofer ever (Monolith 10 THX), and because of the space issues, I'm not placing the sub next to the TV spand, and so I've bought a 50ft RCA CL2 cable, without realizing that it could be a limit restriction. Can any confirm that a 50ft RCA cable to connect the sub to receiver is OK?

The reason I bought it long was to run it around the door frame, instead under the carpet.

This is the one I've bought: Monoprice 50ft High-quality Coaxial Audio/Video RCA CL2 Rated Cable - RG6/U 75ohm (for S/PDIF, Digital Coax, Subwoofer & Composite Video)

Thanks,
As noted as long as it's a high quality cable with good shielding you should be okay. RG6 coax should work well. I have custom 53ft and 65ft runs from Blue Jeans Cable (Belden 1505F) that works fine. The main issue with long runs is running into ground loops and there are ways to deal with that if it occurs.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
cable , monolith thx , subwoofer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page