In-wall or in-ceiling subs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-01-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 1
In-wall or in-ceiling subs

Looking for info and experience with in-wall or in ceiling subs. I have been looking for reviews on Klipsch pro-1200 or the Polk csw-155 and I haven’t been able to find much of anything. The room they will be going in is 27x28. It will not be a dedicated theater room more of an entertaining area/ mother-in-law suite that will have an awesome theater set up.

I do not want subs that will get in the way so in wall or in ceiling sounds very appealing. However, I am worried about walls vibrating and having a very annoying sound of the fishing in the cabinets rattling.

Hoping of have the hope theater system in-wall. 7.2 surround.

Anyone have experience with these? I’ve got a good budget. I want to do it right. The Polk and klipsch are both around $1200 each. I’ll put 4 smaller subs in if that means I’ll get the performance and sound that’s right. i just want to do it right! want to keep it all under $3500 tops for subs. Will still have to buy an amp for these as well.
Help me out guys.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-01-2019, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Also should mention 10th ceilings. The rest of the speakers are too be decided. Leaning towards klipsch because that’s what I know but I’m open to suggestions. Hope to have no more than $7k total in speakers and amps.

I’ll still have to buy a TV top of it all.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-01-2019, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
I’d probably look to an AV Installer who actually deals these and has experience with them.

In wall subs aren’t a very common thing, which is why reviews are far and few in between.

In ceiling may give you better performance as there is generally more space up there in the ceiling than a shallow stud bay.

That is also a huge room. I’m not sure architectural (non box) subs will give you much of anything, but you can try.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 279
I would consider Triad:

https://www.triadspeakers.com/product-tag/subwoofers/

[email protected]
post #5 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

I have considered Triad but have not found anyone locally that sells them and I haven't been able to find much for pricing either.

I did find some Polk CSW155 for $600 online. It's really appealing to pick up 4 of those,
However, they seem pretty underpowered at 10-150 watt and I don't think they will have
deep enough base...
post #6 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Do you have a open space on any of the outside walls or ceiling (to a unfinished basement or attic)? If so you should look at Infinite Baffle style DIY subs.

There are better threads/pictures somewhere on the DIY forum, but this is what I found quickly. You can really make them disappear and it will be better than most "in wall" subs which are usually pretty tame.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...questions.html

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #7 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Here is another one where a guy put a bunch of 8" subs in-between his ceiling joists.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...af-factor.html

7.4.4 Theater Room: JVC-RS500, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 530’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #8 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked: 1964
In wall subs are cool in concept. You get way less output per dollar than in room subs. But sometimes the trade off in dollars is acceptable if you absolutely cannot fit anything into the room.

Personally, when space challenged, I solve it by getting something like the SVS cylinders. They have a very small footprint, and great bang for the buck.

If Triad is of interest, Dawn here on AVS who replied to your post, is a dealer and you can email her for more info. Triad sells only through dealers and while they are designed to be part of a home theater installer's solution, most of their dealers will sell direct if you talk with them.

For the record, I love Triad, but their in wall subs suffer from the same price premium that others do. decibel for decibel, you pay a lot more for the same performance for in wall, versus in room.

And yes, to answer your question, on average you will have more sound leakage from something in the wall, versus in the room. Will you have more rattling? It is possible, but a competent installer can help minimize that. (Again, this can increase the cost of in wall solutions.)

Note that the POLK you mention are down 3db at 36hz. For many people, that is not really a subwoofer at all. And even if you find them for $600 online, you'll need to also by an amp for each one, which adds a few hundred to the cost. Plus, to say it again, they don't really get into the subwoofer frequencies. So you'll end up paying about $1k each and get less bass than a $500 in room sub can deliver.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Can I ask why you aren't going the DIY route with the budget you have?
post #10 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdomdom01 View Post
Can I ask why you aren't going the DIY route with the budget you have?
Mostly lack of confidence...... never done it before. I will probably start looking online at some threads and see how others have done it. I’m really concerned about a clean install and make sure it looks right when I get done.

It’s a very good point though. Something I haven’t considered at this point.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Look at James Loudspeakers for their small aperture or Powerpipe subwoofers. They are not inexpensive, but they are absolute top-quality.

https://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/categories/37

Also check out the Artison offerings from Savant:

https://community.savant.com/Default...e=&cclcl=en_US

Another great inwall design.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-02-2019, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkshift View Post
Look at James Loudspeakers for their small aperture or Powerpipe subwoofers. They are not inexpensive, but they are absolute top-quality.

https://www.jamesloudspeaker.com/categories/37

Also check out the Artison offerings from Savant:

https://community.savant.com/Default...e=&cclcl=en_US

Another great inwall design.
Yeah, I noticed that James loud speaker had a lot of those power pipe options. Never heard one though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page