Dual Monolith 12 ported or dual HSU ULS MK2 for big space - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eljaycanuck

post #1 of 9 Old 12-01-2019, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
To those experienced in subwoofer sizing.... I'm hoping you can help me with this decision. I am trying to get a decent SPL for movie watching on a 150" screen in a non-dedicated Setup in my basement. I am attaching a to-scale drawing. The right side 17 ft wall is the projected screen. Also, the little half walls are gone now to make it one big sprawling space for entertainment.

The total volume of the two spaces together about 7000 cu ft. This is designed for one row of seating that will be at the 18 ft mark.

FWIW, I am not a bass head, but I do enjoy a good movie experience. There might the occasional bone rattling experience I can appreciate, but not all the time....... If that makes sense at all.

Edit: reason for considering the sealed uls in favor of the ported model is it's compactness. I do consider that a plus for aesthetic reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191202-000952_1575263550394.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	2648308  

Last edited by 4everalone; 12-01-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked: 2763
Given your space (7,000 cu.ft., concrete floor) and your expectations ("decent SPL for movie watching", "occasional bone rattling experience"), IMO you should be considering a pair of powerful ported 18" subs (experiment with near-field placement), possibly paired with some tactile transducers ("butt-kickers").
Dave Ol likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I recommend stepping up to dual Monolith 15". And I'd avoid sealed subs. It honestly comes down to how much you are willing to spend on subwoofers. Dual Monolith 12" would probably satisfy you, but you won't know till you try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
I recommend stepping up to dual Monolith 15". And I'd avoid sealed subs. It honestly comes down to how much you are willing to spend on subwoofers. Dual Monolith 12" would probably satisfy you, but you won't know till you try.
I was afraid someone was going to come back with this suggestion. If I did do dual ported 15" subs, would you be able to recommend ones that might be a bit smaller than the Monoliths while offering a decent SPL. I really like the form factor of the HSU ULS, but all ported ones seem to be way bigger. Can they be made to rest on their sides?

Also, my budget is under 2K for both subs at all costs. The alternative would be to get one now and another one later. I'm not leaning towards the latter because I want to setup a well balanced system to begin with. 18" drivers will almost certainly be over budget and size restrictions.

Thank you for your time and input.

EDIT: Another question I had is about the number of subs vs cu ft. I've been reading about efficiency increases how 2 subs is more than twice the output, more like 4 times the output. Does that mean I only need 2 subs rated at 1500 cu-ft to fill up a volume of 4 X 1500 cu-ft? Or am I not interpreting that correctly?

Last edited by 4everalone; 12-02-2019 at 10:43 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2760 Post(s)
Liked: 2611
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everalone View Post
I was afraid someone was going to come back with this suggestion. If I did do dual ported 15" subs, would you be able to recommend ones that might be a bit smaller than the Monoliths while offering a decent SPL. I really like the form factor of the HSU ULS, but all ported ones seem to be way bigger. Can they be made to rest on their sides?

Also, my budget is under 2K for both subs at all costs. The alternative would be to get one now and another one later. I'm not leaning towards the latter because I want to setup a well balanced system to begin with. 18" drivers will almost certainly be over budget and size restrictions.

Thank you for your time and input.

EDIT: Another question I had is about the number of subs vs cu ft. I've been reading about efficiency increases how 2 subs is more than twice the output, more like 4 times the output. Does that mean I only need 2 subs rated at 1500 cu-ft to fill up a volume of 4 X 1500 cu-ft? Or am I not interpreting that correctly?
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V1512df

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
Given your space (7,000 cu.ft., concrete floor) and your expectations ("decent SPL for movie watching", "occasional bone rattling experience"), IMO you should be considering a pair of powerful ported 18" subs (experiment with near-field placement), possibly paired with some tactile transducers ("butt-kickers").

I agree. For that size room, on concrete, and wanting a decent SPL for movies you are going to need a sub(s) that can move some air. I too think an 18 inch ported sub or two might be your best bet.

You never said what the max size requirements were for the sub(s), but the PSA V1812 is fairly small for an 18 inch sub and now uses a pro audio B&C Neo driver which is awesome. You can also check out Rythmik and JTR but the foot print for those will be a bit larger and more expensive.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Well if you ordered the Monolith 12 today on Monoprice through Rakuten, you will get 10% off through MP and 15% cash back through Rak. Just saying.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 664
One more word of wisdom, and many have said this before me. Buy the single largest/best subwoofer you can afford. Then, down the road, you can always add a second one if you feel you need more. The reason - in that size of a room on concrete you may not be happy even with dual 12 inchers - leading to an upgrade and money thrown out the window. Many of us have been down this rabbit hole before. For me, I've been through 3 subs in the past two years until I finally found one with the qualities I was looking for. A lot of wasted money on this journey.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Dual Hsu VTF-15H would be $2100 and would likely work very well for you. Add one or two more as funds allow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page