Seeking advice on a new sub for my listening enjoyment - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-02-2019, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Seeking advice on a new sub for my listening enjoyment

Hey everyone! Just joined, but I've been reading for a week. Awesome and extremely helpful site. Thanks in advance for help. I've really appreciated the knowledge (and entertainment) I've gained so far.

Here's my 'sitiation'.

Decided I'd add a sub to my system.

Yamaha RX-v730 75w rms 5.1 (6.1),
a pair of 3-way JBL L110s that are in good shape, and a center spkr. I might add rear spkrs at some point.

We watch some pretty benign MOVIES, sports, and I enjoy music. No gaming. Anyway, I thought I'd add sub for not a lot of money, and place it in the 16" corner space next to my L main spkr just to add bass clarity and LFE's, and to relieve my AVR and L110's of the bass/sub duty. So I started looking, reading/researching.

I read a Dayton was highly recommended. I saw the 10 & 12" Klipsch, and the Polk HTS10 for under $250 on sale at BB, which I'm leaning towards, and I saw others. I've read about higher end subs as well, but want to stay under $250. I feel like that would satisfy me considering my application.

My JBL's are 10" woofers, and at first I thought I'd try a 12" sub, but now I think a good quality 10" will suffice for me. I'm not looking for earth shattering or massive bass, but I do like good quality sound.

My listening/living room is carpeted over wood, not more than 20' x 20', and it has a cathedral ceiling.

Then I found the sub output jack on my AVR is limited at 90 Hz, so the manual says.

So the sub's duty will apparently be for LFE's and <90 Hz sound. BTW, my JBL's are rated down to 20 Hz.

What else can I say? Where should I go from here? I'd like to nail something down in the next week or two.

Thanks in advance, and please forgive the redundant nature of my post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-02-2019, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Any of those subs you listed are going to be dissapointing and you'll upgrade soon, likely eating the cost of initial purchase unless you can pawn them off on someone else.

Have a look at the DIY forum - you can easily build something within your budget that would blow any of those options away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page