Seeking advice on a new sub for my listening enjoyment - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Seeking advice on a new sub for my listening enjoyment

Hey everyone! Just joined, but I've been reading for a week. Awesome and extremely helpful site. Thanks in advance for help. I've really appreciated the knowledge (and entertainment) I've gained so far.

Here's my 'sitiation'.

Decided I'd add a sub to my system.

Yamaha RX-v730 75w rms 5.1 (6.1),
a pair of 3-way JBL L110s that are in good shape, and a center spkr. I might add rear spkrs at some point.

We watch some pretty benign MOVIES, sports, and I enjoy music. No gaming. Anyway, I thought I'd add sub for not a lot of money, and place it in the 16" corner space next to my L main spkr just to add bass clarity and LFE's, and to relieve my AVR and L110's of the bass/sub duty. So I started looking, reading/researching.

I read a Dayton was highly recommended. I saw the 10 & 12" Klipsch, and the Polk HTS10 for under $250 on sale at BB, which I'm leaning towards, and I saw others. I've read about higher end subs as well, but want to stay under $250. I feel like that would satisfy me considering my application.

My JBL's are 10" woofers, and at first I thought I'd try a 12" sub, but now I think a good quality 10" will suffice for me. I'm not looking for earth shattering or massive bass, but I do like good quality sound.

My listening/living room is carpeted over wood, not more than 20' x 20', and it has a cathedral ceiling.

Then I found the sub output jack on my AVR is limited at 90 Hz, so the manual says.

So the sub's duty will apparently be for LFE's and <90 Hz sound. BTW, my JBL's are rated down to 20 Hz.

What else can I say? Where should I go from here? I'd like to nail something down in the next week or two.

Thanks in advance, and please forgive the redundant nature of my post
jpinsc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So, I'll connect a sub via the sub out jack, set my mains to small, set my plate (input attenuator) to about 50% and the low pass filter to max, and use the AVR's On Screen Display to walk through the set up. If I remember correctly, about the only thing I can adjust with my system is to equalize the volume of all the speakers at the listening position. I'm hopeful I'll be satisfied with that.

I guess then, I'm really just asking for advice on a sub. And I know there are a ton out there...and with accompanying opinions. But I'd like to think I'll be pulling the trigger on one of the best and most reliable starter subs for under $250.
jpinsc is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 03:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Ol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 653
If you haven't already checked it out, you might want to take a look at the sticky in the Subwoofers, Bass and Tranducers forum titled "List of budget subwoofers (300 and less)". Link below. A lot of useful info in this sticky.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...-300-less.html
Dave Ol is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I think I did check that out...a few days ago, but thanks for reminding me to check there again. There's so much to read, I'm getting reading paralysis analysis. lol.

BTW, I'm now leaning towards the BIC F12 150w rms for $220 at BB. Reviews sound amazing!
jpinsc is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 8,118
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2757 Post(s)
Liked: 2602
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinsc View Post
I think I did check that out...a few days ago, but thanks for reminding me to check there again. There's so much to read, I'm getting reading paralysis analysis. lol.

BTW, I'm now leaning towards the BIC F12 150w rms for $220 at BB. Reviews sound amazing!
Pretty sure that's the only thing that will sound amazing with that sub. It and other subs in that range/category are pretty toneless, more one note and kind of boomy with a built in boost in the 40-60hz range to make them seem more powerful than they are.

If all you're looking for is some extra bass for movies it should suffice but you'd probably be better off without for music. Your ears of course so up to you.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,692
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 4313
JBL 550p, until the end of today anyways.
bear123 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Pretty sure that's the only thing that will sound amazing with that sub. It and other subs in that range/category are pretty toneless, more one note and kind of boomy with a built in boost in the 40-60hz range to make them seem more powerful than they are.

If all you're looking for is some extra bass for movies it should suffice but you'd probably be better off without for music. Your ears of course so up to you.

So is there ANY sub in the sub $300 price point you would approve of or suggest that would be appreciably better? That's pretty much what I'm trying to get at here...the best, or the most best, for that price. None?

Thanks!
jpinsc is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Ol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinsc View Post
So is there ANY sub in the sub $300 price point you would approve of or suggest that would be appreciably better? That's pretty much what I'm trying to get at here...the best, or the most best, for that price. None?

Thanks!

You might want to post your original post in the less than $300 sub sticky I mentioned above. The folks on that thread should be able to help.
Dave Ol is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 12-02-2019, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinsc View Post
Hey everyone! Just joined, but I've been reading for a week. Awesome and extremely helpful site. Thanks in advance for help. I've really appreciated the knowledge (and entertainment) I've gained so far.

Here's my 'sitiation'.

Decided I'd add a sub to my system.

Yamaha RX-v730 75w rms 5.1 (6.1),
a pair of 3-way JBL L110s that are in good shape, and a center spkr. I might add rear spkrs at some point.

We watch some pretty benign MOVIES, sports, and I enjoy music. No gaming. Anyway, I thought I'd add sub for not a lot of money, and place it in the 16" corner space next to my L main spkr just to add bass clarity and LFE's, and to relieve my AVR and L110's of the bass/sub duty. So I started looking, reading/researching.

I read a Dayton was highly recommended. I saw the 10 & 12" Klipsch, and the Polk HTS10 for under $250 on sale at BB, which I'm leaning towards, and I saw others. I've read about higher end subs as well, but want to stay under $250. I feel like that would satisfy me considering my application.

My JBL's are 10" woofers, and at first I thought I'd try a 12" sub, but now I think a good quality 10" will suffice for me. I'm not looking for earth shattering or massive bass, but I do like good quality sound.

My listening/living room is carpeted over wood, not more than 20' x 20', and it has a cathedral ceiling.

Then I found the sub output jack on my AVR is limited at 90 Hz, so the manual says.

So the sub's duty will apparently be for LFE's and <90 Hz sound. BTW, my JBL's are rated down to 20 Hz.

What else can I say? Where should I go from here? I'd like to nail something down in the next week or two.

Thanks in advance, and please forgive the redundant nature of my post
alright. thanks
jpinsc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off