AVS Forum banner

Opening up Klipsch Sub12 HGB

575 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  darthray 
#1 ·
Anybody know the trick to opening up a Klipsch Sub 12 HBG?

My kids managed to break off the center conductor of the line in cable, inside the connector.:eek:

I took out the dozen or so screws around the plate, and can lift it up about 1/4 to 1/2 inch...which is not enough to do any work.

Do I need to remove the speaker and go in that way?

Thanks!

#5 ·
In case it will help the next guy...

Here's what I did...

After removing the screws to the back plate...I was able to lift it up just enough to remove the 3 wires keeping the plate from going any higher.

1 Red and 1 black going to the speaker
1 white ribbon cable going to the LED on the front.

With the plate off I was able to pull on those wires to get some more slack, making re-installation easier.

However, now that I've done it, I think the real trick is to angle the plate down and into the sub, when disconnecting and reconnecting those three cable.

Just be sure not to drop it...as it'd go right through the speaker cone!

If you're reading this...Good Luck!

BTW: I managed to get the center pin out of the RCA jack with a small drill...just drilled in a bit and pulled it out. Still had to re-solder the wire to the back of the jack.

Was really bummed when it still wasn't working...

Then I decided to wire it up direct instead of via my wireless adapter... and it turned out the wireless trasmitter had become disconnected...plugged it back in and all was well.

:)

#6 · (Edited)
In case it will help the next guy...

Here's what I did...

After removing the screws to the back plate...I was able to lift it up just enough to remove the 3 wires keeping the plate from going any higher.

1 Red and 1 black going to the speaker
1 white ribbon cable going to the LED on the front.

With the plate off I was able to pull on those wires to get some more slack, making re-installation easier.

However, now that I've done it, I think the real trick is to angle the plate down and into the sub, when disconnecting and reconnecting those three cable.

Just be sure not to drop it...as it'd go right through the speaker cone!

If you're reading this...Good Luck!

BTW: I managed to get the center pin out of the RCA jack with a small drill...just drilled in a bit and pulled it out. Still had to re-solder the wire to the back of the jack.

Was really bummed when it still wasn't working...

Then I decided to wire it up direct instead of via my wireless adapter... and it turned out the wireless trasmitter had become disconnected...plugged it back in and all was well.

:)
Very impressive way to do-it, and would have never thought of that one:eek:
Thanks to you, I now knew a new trick for helping other that might have the same situation.

Thank you, for sharing your problem solving solution:)

Darth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.