• 1 Post By powerlifter405

post #1 of 10 Old 12-05-2019, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
2 Subs or 1 w/ better towers

Hey guys,

First off, I'm glad to be back and involved with the forum!

I am looking at upgrading my HT set up and am wondering the best course of action. This would be strictly for movies (I love a good, loud action/SciFi movie) in a room about 11'x7x19' (W,H,L).

I'm trying to get as close as possible to that, in your face, totally immersive sound you get at the movie theater.

My question is would it be best to go with the new SVS Pinnacle towers and Ultra center and keep my current Klipsch RW 12d sub *OR* go with the less expensive (but still solid) SVS Prime towers and Prime center and add an SVS PB 12 NSD sub to compliment the Klipsch sub? (In other words, spend $$ on mains or spend $ on mains and $ on a sub.)

I assume the feedback will be to go with the pricier Pinnacle towers and Ultra center but wonder if that is even needed considering the goal in a not too big of a room.

Thanks in advance.

p.

2-Channel: Rega RP-3, Bellari VP130, Cayin A-88T MK2, SVS Ultra Monitors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-05-2019, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked: 1198
What are your current speakers? If you’re looking for maximum impact for the dollar, I’m leaning towards skipping the speaker upgrade, and going for a more substantial subwoofer upgrade. Dual PB12-NSD’s as a minimum baseline.

My humble main system:
Vizio M75-E1; Oppo 203 universal UHD player; Denon 4300H AVR, Dual PSA S1801's; Monitor Audio Silver RX-6 mains, RX center, and RX surrounds; one pair NHT mini Atmos speakers; Home-built HTPC (Xeon E1230, 16gb RAM, Crucial M500 480gb SSD, GeForce 980Ti, Corsair CX600, CoolerMaster mini-ITX case); Roku Premiere+; Amazon 4K Fire TV
post #3 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

I have Pinnacle SFit towers and center up front (the now defunct Pinnacle *Brand* not SVS). They are okay but with only two 4" "subs" they lack having anything on the low end.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 8
That is a bit hard to answer. It sounds like you want the "feel" of the theater, which comes from subs. To get that feel from the subs does not come cheap though. What AV receiver are you using? It may be a challenge to balance two different subs and you could end up with some areas that cancel each other out. I would spend the money on the nicer towers for now and save up for a larger 15" or 18" with good power. If you cut corners now, you very well may end up spending more when you decide to upgrade. With SVS, at least you have a year to upgrade and only lose the shipping costs.
powerlifter405 likes this.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Currently I have a Sony STR DN1040 but the plan is to upgrade that to a receiver with Dolby Atmos capability. I'm looking at doing a whole HT build out in the next 6 months.

post #6 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 6710 Post(s)
Liked: 6266
Since you said this is strictly for movies, I have to ask; why towers? With a capable subwoofer (or two), towers are not needed for HT. You could save a good chunk of change and go with bookshelves, using the extra cash for more subwoofage.
KidHorn and craig john like this.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

well, I'm very new at this and didn't think of going with just bookshelves as front mains. 😉

Is that a common set up?

post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 6710 Post(s)
Liked: 6266
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieper53 View Post
well, I'm very new at this and didn't think of going with just bookshelves as front mains. 😉

Is that a common set up?
With the quality of subwoofers these days, yes, it is very common.

Keep in mind though, "bookshelves" is a relative term around here...for example, mine have dual 10" drivers.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 2795 Post(s)
Liked: 2671
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieper53 View Post
Hey guys,

First off, I'm glad to be back and involved with the forum!

I am looking at upgrading my HT set up and am wondering the best course of action. This would be strictly for movies (I love a good, loud action/SciFi movie) in a room about 11'x7x19' (W,H,L).

I'm trying to get as close as possible to that, in your face, totally immersive sound you get at the movie theater.

My question is would it be best to go with the new SVS Pinnacle towers and Ultra center and keep my current Klipsch RW 12d sub *OR* go with the less expensive (but still solid) SVS Prime towers and Prime center and add an SVS PB 12 NSD sub to compliment the Klipsch sub? (In other words, spend $$ on mains or spend $ on mains and $ on a sub.)

I assume the feedback will be to go with the pricier Pinnacle towers and Ultra center but wonder if that is even needed considering the goal in a not too big of a room.

Thanks in advance.

p.
IMO that comes more from the high efficiency horn loaded speakers driven by a LOT of wattage more so than the subs since most theaters don't extend below 30hz.

If you can do it in "pieces" then take a look at PSA MT110 or MT210 stand mount speakers for your front three and then work on the subs. The PSA are about the least expensive route to get speakers similar to what is found in commercial theaters unless you can score some used JBL Pro Audio or Klipsch THX speakers for a good price.
Alan P likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #10 of 10 Old 12-07-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuilder View Post
That is a bit hard to answer. It sounds like you want the "feel" of the theater, which comes from subs. To get that feel from the subs does not come cheap though.
I've had/heard smaller less powerful subs and they may have sounded well enough for the ave person, I wanted above the board. I can do somethings in excess and I wanted my HT experience to be close to real HT so after reading Jim Wilsons reviews and knowing displacement can mean a lot, I initially ended up w/ the JTR218. It did shake the basement pretty well and was capable of being excessive for my wife and nearly any company we had but I enjoyed the experience.

I recently upgraded to dual JTR 2400's, two very large 18's w/ a combined 4800 watts. I can make everything in the house shake but it was not cheap and the SQ is top notch.

FWIW, the school of thought is 2 subs can give you a smoother response but in cases of my 218, it was a dual 18's cab w/ 1400 watts co-located. The room had some dips/peaks but it has arguably the best bang for the buck through most FR. I wanted to extend my FR and wanted more ump, it was expensive but I"m happy w/ it.

If you want LFE get subs, towers will not give you that. The closer you want to get to real HT/IMAX the more it will cost.
Jeff Permanian likes this.

AVR = Sherbourn SR-120
Speakers = 2 Arx/Chane towers(5.1), dual Arx bookshelves(1.1) as center duty +LR/RR
Subs = Dual JTR 2400's
For sale = JTR 218HT captivator https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...l#post58490876
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page