Subs behind the couch? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-09-2019, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Subs behind the couch?

I’m trying to clean up our basement (3 young kids running around) and was considering selling my two SVS 12” ported subs for two 12” sealed subs. My reason for doing so is because they would then fit in the space between the theater couch and wall (and I don’t have to worry about the kids climbing on them, running into them, etc.). My primary use is movies, tv, sports with a little music. I know sealed subs don’t play as low as ported, and I’m not sure if the subs wouldn’t sound as good being tucked away? Any thoughts/suggestions? Appreciate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-09-2019, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinkley View Post
I’m trying to clean up our basement (3 young kids running around) and was considering selling my two SVS 12” ported subs for two 12” sealed subs. My reason for doing so is because they would then fit in the space between the theater couch and wall (and I don’t have to worry about the kids climbing on them, running into them, etc.). My primary use is movies, tv, sports with a little music. I know sealed subs don’t play as low as ported, and I’m not sure if the subs wouldn’t sound as good being tucked away? Any thoughts/suggestions? Appreciate!
Dr. Hsu often recommends this setup which places you in the nearfield of the sub.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-09-2019, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 76
There are definitely some great benefits to running subs nearfield. Some of them can include increased tactile feel, greater midbass, greater output over far field placement without needing to turn up your subs as high, etc. Try it and see which you prefer. If you can get your hands on a mic and the REW software you can measure and compare your subs to their previous locations in a very precise way.

Speakers: KEF R300 (R,L), KEF R600C (C), JBL 306p mkII (Surrounds), KEF Ci160QR (In-Ceiling) Subs: JTR Captivator S1 x2 Processor/Amps: Anthem AVM60, ATI AT4003, Rotel RB985 mkII Misc: ATV 4k, Sony PS4, Samsung K8500, MiniDSP 2x4HD, Crowson MAs x2 Video: BenQ HT2050, 100” Screen Room: 2500 cu sq. ft. sealed on suspended floor

Last edited by leehan76; 12-09-2019 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 12-14-2019, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by leehan76 View Post
There are definitely some great benefits to running subs nearfield. Some of them can include increased tactile feel, greater midbass, greater output over far field placement without needing to turn up your subs as high, etc. Try it and see which you prefer. If you can get your hands on a mic and the REW software you can measure and compare your subs to their previous locations in a very precise way.
Thank you for the advice! Maybe I’ll start the 12” I have and try moving it behind the couch...it’ll be a tight fit and the port won’t be able to face the couch, so better to have it face toward the wall (about 4’ away still) or face the other direction where it’ll just be open space?

The reason I set it up in the front of the room in the corner is from everything I’ve read, however With how big this sub is I couldn’t put it in the center because I worry about the little ones smacking into it.

As always, I appreciate the advice 😉
post #5 of 6 Old 12-14-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked: 1098
Running subs near field behind seating is a lot of fun. Just be careful with spl/volume since they will be much closer to your ears.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinkley View Post
Thank you for the advice! Maybe I’ll start the 12” I have and try moving it behind the couch...it’ll be a tight fit and the port won’t be able to face the couch, so better to have it face toward the wall (about 4’ away still) or face the other direction where it’ll just be open space?

The reason I set it up in the front of the room in the corner is from everything I’ve read, however With how big this sub is I couldn’t put it in the center because I worry about the little ones smacking into it.

As always, I appreciate the advice 😉
You’re quite welcome. There may not be a huge difference with which direction the ports face on your subs since the bass frequencies are generally omnidirectional. I’d recommend however you try both directions at a time to determine which port direction sounds better to your ears. One of the wonderful things about the REW software and getting a microphone to measure is again it enables you to fine tune your system very precisely. One sub, or more, in front and one in back is working excellently for many a bass enthusiasts on here.

Speakers: KEF R300 (R,L), KEF R600C (C), JBL 306p mkII (Surrounds), KEF Ci160QR (In-Ceiling) Subs: JTR Captivator S1 x2 Processor/Amps: Anthem AVM60, ATI AT4003, Rotel RB985 mkII Misc: ATV 4k, Sony PS4, Samsung K8500, MiniDSP 2x4HD, Crowson MAs x2 Video: BenQ HT2050, 100” Screen Room: 2500 cu sq. ft. sealed on suspended floor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page