1Likes
  • 1 Post By Russdawg1

post #1 of 5 Old 12-16-2019, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Svs Sub question

Hello all. 1 simple question for you. 1 svs sb3000 or 2 sb2000s? My livingroom is 15 x 30. Thanks for your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-16-2019, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 420
2, but what are your goals for the sub, where are you at %wise as far as movies/music usage, and what subwoofer(s) are you coming from now? What are you missing currently, or what are you looking to achieve with this new addition?

65" 900E Tee Vee | Denon 6300H AVR | PSA MTM-210s | PSA MTM-210c | PSA MTM-110s | Canton 880 InCeilings | Rythmik FV25HP
post #3 of 5 Old 12-17-2019, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2094 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
Neither. Your living room is huge and my bet is that it opens up adjacent rooms. That has to be 4000 cubic feet at the least, no?

You’d want some thing much more powerful to get feasible bass.

Ported will be your best bet while sealed will be smaller.

I would go for two VTF3 MK5’s from HSU at $1750/pair. This is much better, I would say upwards as twice as good than two SB2000’s at $1500/pair for a 16% cost increase.

If anything, two VTF2 MK5’s at $1150 would still be much better, and now cheaper.

But imo, nothing smaller than the VTF3’s will give any usable output in that size of a room.

You should be looking at multiple 15” subs, at the least. Not small sealed 12” or 13” subs.
darthray likes this.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-17-2019, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by rillaman42 View Post
Hello all. 1 simple question for you. 1 svs sb3000 or 2 sb2000s? My livingroom is 15 x 30. Thanks for your help!!
Tell us about the rest of your system (loudspeakers and electronics) and how far away from the front stage speakers/subwoofers you'll typically be sitting.

Also what is the listening breakdown between music, streaming video, Blu-ray and gaming?

What volume are you typically going to be listening to when streaming video or watching Blu-ray movies? If you have a common master volume setting, great - if not then compare to the loudness level you would experience in a commercial cinema - lower, about the same or louder like an IMAX theater.

Do you have any lifestyle considerations/restrictions like overall size, footprint, visual impact, cabinet finish, visual impact and decor integration etc.?

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #5 of 5 Old 12-17-2019, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post

But imo, nothing smaller than the VTF3’s will give any usable output in that size of a room.

You should be looking at multiple 15” subs, at the least. Not small sealed 12” or 13” subs.

Can you expand on what you mean by usable output? I also have a very large room and would very much prefer two small sealed subs but pretty much everyone has told me I need ported and bigger then 12". While the listening area is a living room and used for HT most of the time, my wife and I prioritize music and want a fast full sound that integrates well with a pair of tower speakers. The smaller size of the sealed subs would give me more possible locations in the room for the sub while ported subs could only go in two locations in my room.

To my understanding, a lot of the advantage of a ported sub is the impact down below 20htz, which you can't hear but you can feel. While I think that is nice, my wife does not and has been clear to me she does not want the house rattling.

We also have neighbors very close by, so we don't listen at reference levels or anything very loud to be honest. It seems like for what we want, two sealed subs would be a good option. However, with a large room like the original poster, everyone seems to say seal subs would not be enough. Can someone explain what would be lacking by having a sealed subs in a large room? Would the sealed subs end up clipping a lot trying to play loud enough to keep up with tower speakers? Is it simply the lack of low end below 20htz? Would they just disappear in the large room so I would not notice much of anything down low?

Thanks, just trying to have a better understanding of what you give up by using sealed subs in a very large room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page