1Likes
  • 1 Post By kaying

post #1 of 5 Old 12-28-2019, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sub Upgrade Reccomendations

Hello – Requesting some advice on a sub purchase. My wife recently ordered the Klipsch R-12SW for the house (me). Do I keep it or keep looking to upgrade? I currently have an atmos setup. I need to update my subs as I have updated my fronts to Klipsch 8060FA’s. I currently have two subs. One is a 10” Cambridge Soundworks. The other is a Pioneer SW-8. My pre/pro is the Yamaha CX-A5200. Currently, the Cambridge sub is not firing. Not sure why at this point. We mostly use the system for movies, music, Xbox and TV. My attempt is to complete an atmos setup. My front speakers are Klipsch 8060FA, Center Klipsch 504C, side surrounds ELAC UniFI, rears PSB, and presence Daytons small bookshelf.

I was hoping to take advantage of the Sub XLR connections on the 5200. My budget is about $1,500. The room is rectangular. The dimensions of the room are 17.5 L by 13 W.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

CX-A5200, MX-A500,Fronts Klipsch 8060FA, Center Klipsch 504C, surrounds ELAC Uni-fi, rears PSB, Surround Presence Daytons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-29-2019, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaying View Post
Hello – Requesting some advice on a sub purchase. My wife recently ordered the Klipsch R-12SW for the house (me). Do I keep it or keep looking to upgrade? I currently have an atmos setup. I need to update my subs as I have updated my fronts to Klipsch 8060FA’s. I currently have two subs. One is a 10” Cambridge Soundworks. The other is a Pioneer SW-8. My pre/pro is the Yamaha CX-A5200. Currently, the Cambridge sub is not firing. Not sure why at this point. We mostly use the system for movies, music, Xbox and TV. My attempt is to complete an atmos setup. My front speakers are Klipsch 8060FA, Center Klipsch 504C, side surrounds ELAC UniFI, rears PSB, and presence Daytons small bookshelf.

I was hoping to take advantage of the Sub XLR connections on the 5200. My budget is about $1,500. The room is rectangular. The dimensions of the room are 17.5 L by 13 W.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
I would return the klipsch and sale the pioneer and cambridge sub if possible to add to your 1500 dollar budget. I would suggest you getting a pair of HSU vtf 3 mk5 at that price range. It will be a huge upgrade from what you currently have. You will see a major improvement in output and bass extension. It does not have xlr connections however.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-29-2019, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I agree, for $1500 there are far better options. While the XLR's would be nice, the truth is that unless you have extremely long runs (i.e. 50 feet) and/or noise problems, they will make no difference for your subwoofer (and I am one of those people who use balanced from my Dac through my amp, except to my subs). A pair of subs are your best option and there are several good choices in your price range. I would be looking at:

1) Pair of Rythmik LV12f, $1200 shipped.
2) Pair of Rythmik LVX12, $1600 shipped.
3) Pair of HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP, $1549 plus shipping.
4) Pair of Monolith by Monoprice 12" THX Ultra Subwoofers, $1600 plus shipping (gets you the XLRs).

My personal choice would be Rythmik or HSU, but that is just personal preference.

What is going to be most important out of these choices is setup. Spending time to get your subs placed and dialed in correctly is by far the most important thing. I have found the $100 to purchase a UMIK-1 and run REW invaluable for setup. With fast sweeps, I can see the frequency response changes from different placements, and it makes integrating the subs to the mains much easier as you can see the effect of changes to the crossover and phase (keeping in mind that crossover frequency and phase are directly related, as you when you change the crossover frequency, the relative phase at the crossover point to the mains changes) and get a smooth transition within 10 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-29-2019, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies.

I just checked Hsu site. The MK2 as a pair is $1749. I can make the stretch justification with the finance committee of one. I think placement may be an issue for the second sub. I have lost that position as well as the side surrounds which were on stands due to a new couch. Any good wall speaker brackets? But we will see.

I have not used setup software but will definitely give it a shot. I added a crude diagram of the space.

Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Room Layout.pdf (387.8 KB, 7 views)
Frank F likes this.

CX-A5200, MX-A500,Fronts Klipsch 8060FA, Center Klipsch 504C, surrounds ELAC Uni-fi, rears PSB, Surround Presence Daytons
post #5 of 5 Old 01-18-2020, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. I bought two Rhytmik FVX12's. Sound is great. I have not had a chance to adjust them yet.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page