Dual PB-2000 Pros vs dual PB-3000s.....decisions... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 01-06-2020, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
samcro1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Dual PB-2000 Pros vs dual PB-3000s.....decisions...

My room is 12'7"x22x7'7". Configuration is being changed in that room. It was 5.1. We are rebuilding and aiming for 7.2.4 Atmos. All speakers besides subs are Goldenear, now owned by some company built on selling snake oil cables...but I digress....LCR are Triton 2+, Supercenter Reference. Sides and rears are MPXs, overheads are HTR-7000s.

In that room, I did have a single PB-2000 running with the Tritons before we tore down drywall. I liked it but always planned to go duals. I figured I'd be content just adding another 2000 to the mix once we finished the room (eta spring).
But now the 2000 pros are out.
So my plan was to sell off the older 2000 and order a pair of 2000 Pros.

Ahh but then I started thinking....you've all been here before......

If I'm upgrading, do I want to go another step? To a pair of PB-3000s?

I read reviews of both subs. I've watched YouTube vids and I get that the 3000 is 'closer to the 4000 than the 2000'...but it's not a cheap move up here in Canada. A PB2000 Pro is 1249$, and the 3000 is $1850. If I buy and then want to exchange you can't just ship em back up here I'd have to haul them to the dealer. Without details, let's just say that is a big deal, there are complications, and it would be so much easier if I could be sure and make the right choice.

**What I don't get a sense of in all those reviews is a sense of what will I hear/feel differently in the 3000 compared to the 2000 Pro? And how much more pronounced is it? I need to know to justify the extra expense, esp going duals. **

We are into a good mix of blu rays, games and music in that room.
The old 2000 was great for that...there were times when I'd yearn for just a bit more SPL, but wouldn't need much.
I particularly get a kick out of it when bass is subtle and things like doors closing sound so real. Ialso get an immense smile feeling those low bluesy guitar and bass tones and the kick of a bass drum excites as much as a U571 depthcharge.

Think dual 2000 Pros are enough? Or are the gains with 3000 just that damn good?
I guess just some more opinions, along the lines above, are what I need.

Thanks guys
samcro1100 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 Old 01-06-2020, 09:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,638
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 10207
basshead81 is offline  
post #3 of 35 Old 01-07-2020, 05:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 491
You can get the Monolith 15 for $2000 free shipping in Canada

https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Mono...8398986&sr=8-1

Monolith 15 = PB4000

Monolith 15 is also only $150 more than the PB3000 and $500 cheaper than the PB4000 in Canada

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3

Last edited by macgallant; 01-07-2020 at 05:57 AM.
macgallant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 35 Old 01-07-2020, 07:16 AM
Member
 
joxr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 27
If you are staying with SVS then I would get the 3000s over the 2000 pros

5.2.4
joxr is offline  
post #5 of 35 Old 01-07-2020, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,638
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 10207
I would take a PB4000 over a Mono 15 all day even being 500.00 more just for the fact I am dealing with a company that values their customers. Or I guess you can roll the dice to see if the Mono 15 shows up in good condition or has mold on it with a dead amp. If that is the case, good luck dealing with CS .
AVTimme and darthray like this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #6 of 35 Old 01-07-2020, 08:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcro1100 View Post
My room is 12'7"x22x7'7". Configuration is being changed in that room. It was 5.1. We are rebuilding and aiming for 7.2.4 Atmos. All speakers besides subs are Goldenear, now owned by some company built on selling snake oil cables...but I digress....LCR are Triton 2+, Supercenter Reference. Sides and rears are MPXs, overheads are HTR-7000s.

In that room, I did have a single PB-2000 running with the Tritons before we tore down drywall. I liked it but always planned to go duals. I figured I'd be content just adding another 2000 to the mix once we finished the room (eta spring).
But now the 2000 pros are out.
So my plan was to sell off the older 2000 and order a pair of 2000 Pros.

Ahh but then I started thinking....you've all been here before......

If I'm upgrading, do I want to go another step? To a pair of PB-3000s?

I read reviews of both subs. I've watched YouTube vids and I get that the 3000 is 'closer to the 4000 than the 2000'...but it's not a cheap move up here in Canada. A PB2000 Pro is 1249$, and the 3000 is $1850. If I buy and then want to exchange you can't just ship em back up here I'd have to haul them to the dealer. Without details, let's just say that is a big deal, there are complications, and it would be so much easier if I could be sure and make the right choice.

**What I don't get a sense of in all those reviews is a sense of what will I hear/feel differently in the 3000 compared to the 2000 Pro? And how much more pronounced is it? I need to know to justify the extra expense, esp going duals. **

We are into a good mix of blu rays, games and music in that room.
The old 2000 was great for that...there were times when I'd yearn for just a bit more SPL, but wouldn't need much.
I particularly get a kick out of it when bass is subtle and things like doors closing sound so real. Ialso get an immense smile feeling those low bluesy guitar and bass tones and the kick of a bass drum excites as much as a U571 depthcharge.

Think dual 2000 Pros are enough? Or are the gains with 3000 just that damn good?
I guess just some more opinions, along the lines above, are what I need.

Thanks guys
Funny that you are looking into the PB3000's...I just purchased a pair of the Triton 2+'s with a Supercenter Reference with a PB3000, and I'm hooking them up tomorrow. I'm not getting duals (yet), but I'm eager to see how everything sounds. How did you like the PB2000 with the already built-in subs of the Tritons? Some people say you don't need the additional external sub because of the built-ins, but I figured I'd try the 45 day trial of the SVS's and see. How are the subs of the Tritons alone? I can certainly let you know my opinion of the PB3000 when I get it all hooked up!
[email protected] is offline  
post #7 of 35 Old 01-07-2020, 09:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
You can get the Monolith 15 for $2000 free shipping in Canada

https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Mono...8398986&sr=8-1

Monolith 15 = PB4000

Monolith 15 is also only $150 more than the PB3000 and $500 cheaper than the PB4000 in Canada
It seems to be a trend in the threads regarding SVS where you pop in to trash the brand.

Have you seen the Audioholics review of the 3000 series? Particularly the PB3000? Seems like you are selling it short. It has PB4000 performance at and over 25hz for almost 500 less. I noticed in another thread you mentioned open space would be better then buying a PB3000. Kind of a laughable statement:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-3000

Audioholics whom I presume is rather respected says its the best SVS sub yet. If you review the CES numbers they post you see they are respectable indeed. In my room with duals I get 113db between 16 -20hz 119db from 25-30 and 120-124db from 35-50 in compression sweeps. All at 10 feet from the left sub and 13 feet from the right sub in a 6500 cu ft room.

And assuming you can get a couple hundred dollars of output from say Rhythmik or Monolith below 20hz I'd say the phone app along with the customer service make the difference nearly a wash. I'm constantly changing the volume based on material using the app, it would be a pain to get up to physically change both subs, the UI is excellent, there is no mystery about what level the sub is at, crossovers, phase etc. And post room correction I do get extra output with minor phase adjustments so phase is worth something to me. Knowing the precise values is meaningful vs spinning a dial. And lets not forget that Ed Mullen provides sublime customer service. I've sent him so many emails asking anal retentive questions that he ended up just calling me.

TCL 65R615/Denon X4400H/EMOTIVA A-300/CHANE 2.4A LRC/HSU HB1-MK2 Surrounds/CHANE 1.4 Rear Surrounds/4x RSL C34E Atmos/2x SVS PB 16 Ultras/GIK Accoustics 8 244s 4 tri traps/2x Crowson MAs/MiniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by Matt Fowler; 01-07-2020 at 10:58 AM.
Matt Fowler is online now  
post #8 of 35 Old 01-07-2020, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 491
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Fowler View Post
It seems to be a trend in the threads regarding SVS where you pop in to trash the brand.

Have you seen the Audioholics review of the 3000 series? Particularly the PB3000? Seems like you are selling it short. It has PB4000 performance at and over 25hz for almost 500 less. I noticed in another thread you mentioned open space would be better then buying a PB3000. Kind of a laughable statement:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-3000

Audioholics whom I presume is rather respected says its the best SVS sub yet. If you review the CES numbers they post you see they are respectable indeed. In my room with duals I get 113db between 16 -20hz 119db from 25-30 and 120-124db from 35-50 in compression sweeps. All at 10 feet from the left sub and 13 feet from the right sub in a 6500 cu ft room.

And assuming you can get a couple hundred dollars of output from say Rhythmik or Monolith below 20hz I'd say the phone app along with the customer service make the difference nearly a wash. I'm constantly changing the volume based on material using the app, it would be a pain to change both subs, the UI is excellent. And lets not forget that Ed Mullen provides sublime customer service. I've sent him so many emails asking anal retentive questions that he ended up just calling me.

What wrong with bringing up more cost effective/performance option??

It's mostly because 99% of people are not aware of their options and SVS does a FANTASTIC job at marketing so they often believe SVS is the ONLY option.
They also have 3+ sponsored/affiliate youtube channels and every other day there's a new SVS review on youtube/google so they need no introduction.

HSU/PSA/JTR/OUTLAW all have amazing customer service but yes I agree monoprice needs work. Also this idea that SVS is the only company that offers great customer service is false. IMO PSA's and HSU's customer service is equal to SVS's.

Did you know the VTF3 MK5 is better than the PB3000 for $500/60% less? It even has more output than the PB4000 from 30hz-100hz!!

PB4000 ($2000): 20hz; 112.3 25hz: 113.3 31.5hz: 114.8 40hz: 116.8 50hz: 118.7 63hz: 117.7 80hz: 116.2
VTF3MK5 ($900): 20hz: 106.2 25hz: 111.4 31.5hz: 116.2 40hz 119.9 50hz: 120.3 63hz: 119.1 80hz 118.4

There's absolutely no denying that the monolith 15 and the VTF3 MK5 are the best value on the market today. This really shouldn't bother you unless you have post purchase rationalization.

It's important for people to know their options. As long as they understand then it's all good.

also "I noticed in another thread you mentioned open space would be better then buying a PB3000. Kind of a laughable statement" what are you talking about?

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #9 of 35 Old 01-07-2020, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
I would take a PB4000 over a Mono 15 all day even being 500.00 more just for the fact I am dealing with a company that values their customers. Or I guess you can roll the dice to see if the Mono 15 shows up in good condition or has mold on it with a dead amp. If that is the case, good luck dealing with CS .
I really hope Monoprice solves their CS Issues but I think their issues are rare.
I also think people lack patience but I understand the frustration when spending that kind of money though.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #10 of 35 Old 01-07-2020, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 8,224
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2807 Post(s)
Liked: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
What wrong with bringing up more cost effective/performance option??

It's mostly because 99% of people are not aware of their options and SVS does a FANTASTIC job at marketing so they often believe SVS is the ONLY option.
They also have 3+ sponsored/affiliate youtube channels and every other day there's a new SVS review on youtube/google so they need no introduction.

HSU/PSA/JTR/OUTLAW all have amazing customer service but yes I agree monoprice needs work. Also this idea that SVS is the only company that offers great customer service is false. IMO PSA's and HSU's customer service is equal to SVS's.

Did you know the VTF3 MK5 is better than the PB3000 for $500/60% less? It even has more output than the PB4000 from 30hz-100hz!!

PB4000 ($2000): 20hz; 112.3 25hz: 113.3 31.5hz: 114.8 40hz: 116.8 50hz: 118.7 63hz: 117.7 80hz: 116.2
VTF3MK5 ($900): 20hz: 106.2 25hz: 111.4 31.5hz: 116.2 40hz 119.9 50hz: 120.3 63hz: 119.1 80hz 118.4

There's absolutely no denying that the monolith 15 and the VTF3 MK5 are the best value on the market today. This really shouldn't bother you unless you have post purchase rationalization.

It's important for people to know their options. As long as they understand then it's all good.

also "I noticed in another thread you mentioned open space would be better then buying a PB3000. Kind of a laughable statement" what are you talking about?
Cost effective does not always equate to value. HSU's CS is not the same as SVS. It's good just not as good and there standard warranty is shorter.

I remember threads where the CS from Outlaw was not all that. It had to do with a defective product and a refund.

Where are you getting the numbers for the VTF3.5? I don't recall it being tested by Josh or Audioholics.

As long as the Rythmik FV15HP exists the Mono 15 is not the best value at that price point.

I agree that the VTF3.5 and VTF15.2 are great values for those that live in the contiguous 48. Much less so for those that do not.

And as always, value is a personal matter. There is no one way to determine what is valuable to someone else.
jamiebosco likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #11 of 35 Old 01-07-2020, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 150
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
What wrong with bringing up more cost effective/performance option??

It's mostly because 99% of people are not aware of their options and SVS does a FANTASTIC job at marketing so they often believe SVS is the ONLY option.
They also have 3+ sponsored/affiliate youtube channels and every other day there's a new SVS review on youtube/google so they need no introduction.

HSU/PSA/JTR/OUTLAW all have amazing customer service but yes I agree monoprice needs work. Also this idea that SVS is the only company that offers great customer service is false. IMO PSA's and HSU's customer service is equal to SVS's.

Did you know the VTF3 MK5 is better than the PB3000 for $500/60% less? It even has more output than the PB4000 from 30hz-100hz!!

PB4000 ($2000): 20hz; 112.3 25hz: 113.3 31.5hz: 114.8 40hz: 116.8 50hz: 118.7 63hz: 117.7 80hz: 116.2
VTF3MK5 ($900): 20hz: 106.2 25hz: 111.4 31.5hz: 116.2 40hz 119.9 50hz: 120.3 63hz: 119.1 80hz 118.4

There's absolutely no denying that the monolith 15 and the VTF3 MK5 are the best value on the market today. This really shouldn't bother you unless you have post purchase rationalization.

It's important for people to know their options. As long as they understand then it's all good.

also "I noticed in another thread you mentioned open space would be better then buying a PB3000. Kind of a laughable statement" what are you talking about?

Sure alternatives are great. HSU is killer, I love the bookshelves I got from them and the CS they provide. However I would just say that the PB3000 is a better value then past SVS models. Also I wouldn't say the VTF3MK5 is a better sub then the PB3000. I'll copy paste the values straight from each respective Audioholics review. They vary a bit from the numbers you posted.

PB3000

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...000/conclusion

20hz: 108 25: 113.3 31: 114.9 40: 118 50: 119.6 63: 118.6 80: 117.8 100: 118.7 125: 118 < so actually better then the 4000 from 25+

HSU VTF-3 (I'll go with the 2 port open measurement)

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/hsu-vtf-15h-mk2-vtf-3-mk5-hp-subwoofers

20: 105 25: 110 31: 115 40: 119 50: 119 63: 118 80: 117 (no 100-125 listed)

Its an awesome sub but the PB3000 has a 3db advantage between 20-30 which you could argue is the most important HT range. Above 30hz its identical no? You must not have taken my suggestion to read the audioholics review. My commentary is focused on the 3000 not the 4000.

As per the empty space quote I'm referring to post # 15 here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...lith-15-a.html

This "space" comment is the main reason I even posted here. I'm not a fanboy, just think the PB3000 deserves its due. Also I'm taking nothing away from PSA,Rhythmk, etc.
tigerhonaker likes this.

TCL 65R615/Denon X4400H/EMOTIVA A-300/CHANE 2.4A LRC/HSU HB1-MK2 Surrounds/CHANE 1.4 Rear Surrounds/4x RSL C34E Atmos/2x SVS PB 16 Ultras/GIK Accoustics 8 244s 4 tri traps/2x Crowson MAs/MiniDSP 2x4HD
Matt Fowler is online now  
post #12 of 35 Old 01-07-2020, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Cost effective does not always equate to value. HSU's CS is not the same as SVS. It's good just not as good and there standard warranty is shorter.

I remember threads where the CS from Outlaw was not all that. It had to do with a defective product and a refund.

Where are you getting the numbers for the VTF3.5? I don't recall it being tested by Josh or Audioholics.

As long as the Rythmik FV15HP exists the Mono 15 is not the best value at that price point.

I agree that the VTF3.5 and VTF15.2 are great values for those that live in the contiguous 48. Much less so for those that do not.

And as always, value is a personal matter. There is no one way to determine what is valuable to someone else.


The FV15HP and Mono 15 perform the same and are priced the same so i suppose Rythmik gets the edge because Enrico and their customer service is fantastic to deal with.

I dealt with Outlaw for my X12's and i always received an immediate response. They also gave me an additional discount i wasn't even expecting or asked for.

Kevin from HSU is on these forums pretty much 24/7 like Ed (SVS) answering question and helping HSU customers. Everyone's who's dealt HSU has always commented on their amazing customer service except maybe those who have the patience of a 5 yrs old. Also you should know by now that you can extend their warranty to 5 years for a small fee (still significantly cheaper than the PB3000).

I have personally contacted (phone/email): PSA, Rythmik, HSU, Outlaw and all of them provided excellent service.

The one person that stands out above all is TOM V from PSA. He goes out of his way to recommend other companies products if he deems them a better fit for your situation. I've never seen another Owner/CEO do that, this speaker volume about his character !
AVTimme likes this.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #13 of 35 Old 01-08-2020, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
samcro1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Funny that you are looking into the PB3000's...I just purchased a pair of the Triton 2+'s with a Supercenter Reference with a PB3000, and I'm hooking them up tomorrow. I'm not getting duals (yet), but I'm eager to see how everything sounds. How did you like the PB2000 with the already built-in subs of the Tritons? Some people say you don't need the additional external sub because of the built-ins, but I figured I'd try the 45 day trial of the SVS's and see. How are the subs of the Tritons alone? I can certainly let you know my opinion of the PB3000 when I get it all hooked up!
Appreciate all the opinions truly. Going SVS, one or the other in the next few days....

Well rbull34...I've also read the same; "no need for a sub etc..." I needed one. The 2+s drop significantly at 30-35 hz or so. They are great for that upper bass range and can punch pretty good, but for me I needed more. It took a bit of tinkering and listening and moving things but I got them to match pretty well for my liking though that's just by ear. I auditioned a lot, just liked the Goldenear sound. I expected to have to concede a bit pairing separate with the powered towers. Yeah let me know how those sound, had my towers at 1:00 but after break in had to dial it back to 12:00. The single 2000 was set at 1:30 or so.
samcro1100 is offline  
post #14 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcro1100 View Post
Appreciate all the opinions truly. Going SVS, one or the other in the next few days....

Well rbull34...I've also read the same; "no need for a sub etc..." I needed one. The 2+s drop significantly at 30-35 hz or so. They are great for that upper bass range and can punch pretty good, but for me I needed more. It took a bit of tinkering and listening and moving things but I got them to match pretty well for my liking though that's just by ear. I auditioned a lot, just liked the Goldenear sound. I expected to have to concede a bit pairing separate with the powered towers. Yeah let me know how those sound, had my towers at 1:00 but after break in had to dial it back to 12:00. The single 2000 was set at 1:30 or so.



to get back on the main topic


One thing i want to mention is that i wasn't 100% happy with my X12's until i went duals.
So i wouldn't 100% discount just simply adding another PB2000 which can gain you up to 6dB if placed properly.

I'm not 100% certain but does the trade-up program apply in Canada? if it does you could always swap the new PB2000 for whichever one you want.
It's unfortunate that we don't have any numbers on the PB2000 pro yet so it's a gamble going that direction.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #15 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 10:09 AM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,572
Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5746 Post(s)
Liked: 11516
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcro1100 View Post
Appreciate all the opinions truly. Going SVS, one or the other in the next few days....

Well rbull34...I've also read the same; "no need for a sub etc..." I needed one. The 2+s drop significantly at 30-35 hz or so. They are great for that upper bass range and can punch pretty good, but for me I needed more. It took a bit of tinkering and listening and moving things but I got them to match pretty well for my liking though that's just by ear. I auditioned a lot, just liked the Goldenear sound. I expected to have to concede a bit pairing separate with the powered towers. Yeah let me know how those sound, had my towers at 1:00 but after break in had to dial it back to 12:00. The single 2000 was set at 1:30 or so.

Hi,

Although, you have already gotten a fair bit of advice on this thread, it may be worth exploring your options a little bit more. If you are looking to upgrade to another SVS sub, from your single PB2000, I would recommend a PB3000 over a 2000 Pro, and I would probably recommend a PB4000 (or a PC4000), over a PB3000. As you move-up the SVS food chain, you gain some things that you may want. Here are some things to consider, as you also consider what you are able to afford, or are willing to spend.

Your room size is about 2300^3. That's not a really large room, so you will be getting some room gain that will help to augment the frequencies under about 25Hz. That's a plus! You don't mention whether or not you are on concrete or on a suspended wood floor. If you are on a suspended wood floor, that will be another plus with respect to very low-frequencies.

A suspended wood floor will resonate sympathetically with very low-frequencies, creating low-bass tactile sensations which correspond to the special effects in movies. Concrete will not resonate that way, and consequently, most people need more <20Hz SPL when they are on concrete floors. (Carpet or wood flooring, on top of concrete, doesn't increase low-frequency resonance.)

Bringing this back to the subwoofer options, moving-up to a PB3000 will offer you a lot more SPL at every frequency, compared to a PB2000, where a Pro would be a much more modest increase. And, the sound quality should be a bit better as well. The PB3000 may be SVS's best value for the money. I think you would notice that upgrade much more than you would if you went to the 2000 Pro.

But, and this can be an important but for some people, the PB3000 is still not a low-tuned subwoofer. Quantifying the difference between a subwoofer which is tuned to about 19Hz, and one that is tuned to about 15 or 16Hz can be a little difficult. You can look at outdoor measurements for the two different subwoofers and see what the max SPL numbers are below 20Hz. But, if you haven't actually heard a lower-tuned sub, those numbers may not be very meaningful to you. Here are some test results that you can compare:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...000/conclusion

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...0/measurements

You will notice that the PB3000 holds its own very well with the PB4000 down to 20Hz. But, at 16Hz, there is a difference in max output of about 11dB between the PB3000, and the PB4000 in Extended mode. To put that into context, a single PB4000 would produce approximately as much SPL, into the middle teens, as four PB3000's could produce. (The disparity would be just slightly greater with PB2000's. The PB3000 doesn't really go much lower than the PB2000 does.)

The way I arrive at that comparison is as follows. A doubling of subwoofers nets an increase of +6dB. Doubling that pair of subwoofers nets another +6dB. So, four PB3000's would produce 12dB more max volume, at 16Hz, than a single PB3000 would. An 11 or 12dB difference at those low-bass frequencies is enormous!

The first question I think you need to ask yourself is what are you really looking for? Are you looking for more of what you have now, combined with slightly better sound quality and more features, or are you specifically looking for more <20Hz performance? The reason that subwoofers become larger and more expensive, as they play lower-frequencies at higher volume levels, is because those lower-frequencies are harder to reproduce. They require larger cabinet volumes, lower port tunes, (perhaps stronger drivers with more amplifier power), and more DSP directing the amp power into the lowest frequencies.

If you are on a suspended wood floor, in a room that size, you may already be getting pretty satisfactory low-frequency SPL and TR (tactile response) from a subwoofer which is tuned to about 19Hz. But, if you are on a concrete floor, or if you feel that you want to explore lower-frequencies, then you will need a lower-tuned ported subwoofer in order to do it.

That's why I used the example of it requiring about four PB3000's (or PB2000's) to equal a single PB4000 at 16Hz. You can't just add multiple ported subs and expect to get significantly more low-frequency SPL. Each individual sub will still roll-off wherever it is designed to roll-off.

In an early post @Basshead recommended that you jump all the way to a PB4000, but he didn't really explain why it might be worth your while to do that. And, neither did the subsequent posts. Unfortunately, no one else can put himself in your exact position concerning what you are really looking for with an upgrade, or with respect to subwoofer costs.

But, I thought it might be helpful for you to understand some of the advantages involved, as you move-up the SVS ported subwoofer food chain. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Regards,
Mike
basshead81 and tigerhonaker like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is online now  
post #16 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,638
Mentioned: 206 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 10207
I agree with Mike. The PB3000 gets you similar output levels to the PB4000 and PB16 above 25hz but what you lose out on is extension and compression performance. That is what you pay the extra money for with the PB4000 and PB16. The PB3000 compression performance could be better as it starts to exhibit quite a bit of compression above a 105db sweep. Honestly the compression performance isn't much better then a PB12NSD. That +5db of boost around 22hz they have programmed into the subs DSP seems to be contributing to some of the premature compression.
mthomas47 likes this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #17 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BC Interior.
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 2936
I know this is a needle in a haystack, but where in Canada are you located? @darthray has two PB13-Ultras for sale asking $2000 for both,,, these are very similar to the PB-4000. Two of those would crush your room imo. Unfortunately he is in Alberta and wont ship ,,, possibly someone could change his mind,,, who knows.
mthomas47 and darthray like this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #18 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
I know this is a needle in a haystack, but where in Canada are you located? @darthray has two PB13-Ultras for sale asking $2000 for both,,, these are very similar to the PB-4000. Two of those would crush your room imo. Unfortunately he is in Alberta and wont ship ,,, possibly someone could change his mind,,, who knows.
Thats a crazy good Deal!

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #19 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BC Interior.
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 2936
^

It most definitely is

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #20 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
^

It most definitely is

considering that 1 pb4000 cost $2500 CDN + tax these are basically 65% off

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #21 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BC Interior.
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
considering that 1 pb4000 cost $2500 CDN + tax these are basically 65% off
Yes $1000 asking and no tax. Dont find better deals often here in Canada.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #22 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Yes $1000 asking and no tax. Dont find better deals often here in Canada.
If he's within a Days drive it's even worth renting a u-haul + gas
mthomas47 likes this.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #23 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BC Interior.
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
If he's within a Days drive it's even worth renting a u-haul + gas
Yes agreed,,,, a van or big SUV is all thats needed.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #24 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 12:42 PM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,572
Mentioned: 388 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5746 Post(s)
Liked: 11516
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
If he's within a Days drive it's even worth renting a u-haul + gas

+1

I have been known to do that for speakers I really wanted!

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is online now  
post #25 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
+1

I have been known to do that for speakers I really wanted!
If i didn't live 50 hour drive(one way) i would take that deal and run!

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Triangle BR03, Revel Concerta2 M16, KEF LS50, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
post #26 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
WLDock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 529
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Not sure what parts the OP is from but....there's some used stuff on Canuck Audio Mart as well.

Power Sound Audio XS30 - $900
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...nd-audio-xs30/

SVS SB4000 - $1759
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...fer-black-ash/

HSU VTF15H mk2 - $950
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...su-vtf15h-mk2/

HSU VTF15H - $1000
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/deta...mages/2482423/

HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR- Anthem MRX 300 | Media Player - Fire TV Box 2nd Gen | Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - PS3-320GB / Xbox One
Speakers - Main - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR965 | Center - Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR920 | Rear - Artison Portrait LRS
| Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - O Audio BASH 500
WLDock is offline  
post #27 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 7,032
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked: 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
I know this is a needle in a haystack, but where in Canada are you located? @darthray has two PB13-Ultras for sale asking $2000 for both,,, these are very similar to the PB-4000. Two of those would crush your room imo. Unfortunately he is in Alberta and wont ship ,,, possibly someone could change his mind,,, who knows.
Hi Joe,

Thanks for thinking of me in case they weren't sold. Very much appreciated on my part. Just for info, I did sold them around 6-7 weeks. After talking with buyer, when he came to my house. I knew they were going to good home.


Darth
indebtbassfreak likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 01-10-2020 at 04:16 PM.
darthray is offline  
post #28 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BC Interior.
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Hi Joe,

Thanks for thinking of me in case they weren't sold. Very much appreciated on my part.
Just for info, I did sold them around 6-7 weeks.
Oh, my bad,,,,,, glad to hear you got them sold!!!
darthray likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #29 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 7,032
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2449 Post(s)
Liked: 3810
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Oh, my bad,,,,,, glad to hear you got them sold!!!
No bad on your part, my listing is so far burry in. You could not have know that. But very appreciate you were thinking of me. And to let know, my two new FV18 are set-up and ready to go


Darth
indebtbassfreak likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 01-10-2020 at 05:23 PM.
darthray is offline  
post #30 of 35 Old 01-10-2020, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: BC Interior.
Posts: 2,790
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1527 Post(s)
Liked: 2936
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
No bad on your part, my listing is far burry. You could not have know that. But very appreciate you were thinking of me. And to let know, my two new FV18 are set-up and ready to go


Darth
Yes i saw that on the Rythmik thread and photos. I think its going to be a nice upgrade with the low tune,,,, and better mid/upper bass frequencies with the extra cone area. Looking forward to your impressions.
darthray likes this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off