How to configure crossover, phase, and level for subwoofer - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By mthomas47
  • 2 Post By mhweb
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-10-2020, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
How to configure crossover, phase, and level for subwoofer

This is a random image of the back of a monolith subwoofer, but I wanted to use it as a reference to ask how the nubs should be set for crossover, phase, and level to have proper configuration. Or at least, what should be recommendation.

This sub is in a small 15 x 12ft room with 8-9ft ceiling, and wooden floor.

Also, if understand correctly, the level should stay at THX, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beast-2020-01-10-13-2025.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	2667626  
mhweb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 Old 01-11-2020, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Wayne A. Pflughaupt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Corpus Christi, TX USA
Posts: 3,244
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Most people just let the AVR handle crossover, phase and level. Are you not going to be doing that?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt


Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Wayne A. Pflughaupt is offline  
post #3 of 7 Old 01-11-2020, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 10,132
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1993 Post(s)
Liked: 2825
My recommendation is to start with the settings specified in the owner's manual.
eljaycanuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 Old 01-11-2020, 07:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Dargent0628's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 463
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhweb View Post
This is a random image of the back of a monolith subwoofer, but I wanted to use it as a reference to ask how the nubs should be set for crossover, phase, and level to have proper configuration. Or at least, what should be recommendation.

This sub is in a small 15 x 12ft room with 8-9ft ceiling, and wooden floor.

Also, if understand correctly, the level should stay at THX, right?
Crossover set to MAX Phase IMO has no audible effect Gain set to nine o' clock (-12dB) THX settings OFF (initially...). Then run your receiver's room correction setup. The receiver should set your subwoofer's gain to somewhere near 0dB (within a point or so...). If your receiver sets the gain appreciably higher or lower than that then adjust the gain knob on the subwoofer accordingly (higher for too low gain in your receiver, lower for too high gain in your receiver...) and then run the setup program again until you get to around 0dB. THEN you can toy around with the THX switches to see if they effect/improve the sound TO YOUR EARS. IMO those switches are gimmicky, but I don't own that subwoofer and they may well have a positive effect.
Dargent0628 is offline  
post #5 of 7 Old 01-11-2020, 07:24 AM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,506
Mentioned: 381 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5678 Post(s)
Liked: 11298
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhweb View Post
This is a random image of the back of a monolith subwoofer, but I wanted to use it as a reference to ask how the nubs should be set for crossover, phase, and level to have proper configuration. Or at least, what should be recommendation.

This sub is in a small 15 x 12ft room with 8-9ft ceiling, and wooden floor.

Also, if understand correctly, the level should stay at THX, right?

Hi,

As Wayne said, your AVR will help you to determine your subwoofer gain (level) setting. But, if I were you, I would leave the phase set at "0" and I would set the crossover at the max setting. I can't tell whether the crossover control knob is even operational unless the crossover switch is set to the "On" position. Your owner's manual may answer that question.

In any event, for calibration purposes, you will want your AVR's automated room correction system (if your AVR has one) to be able to EQ the subwoofer's full frequency range, and initially at least, you will want your subwoofer to be able to play as high as it is able to. Once your AVR sets crossovers for your various speakers that may or may not be quite as important.

With respect to the sub's level (the gain control) I would start with it at about the -12 position, and then adjust upward or downward a little, as required during the calibration process. After your AVR finishes its calibration, you would ideally like for your AVR sub trim to be in negative numbers. If you want to understand more about that, you can refer to the Cliff Notes, in the Guide linked in my signature, or you can read as much detail as you would like to in Section II.

I think that the Guide may be helpful to you as you implement your new subwoofer.

Regards,
Mike
mhweb and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is online now  
post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2020, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post
Most people just let the AVR handle crossover, phase and level. Are you not going to be doing that?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I would rather have the AVR handle everything, I'm still new on audio, so I'm just trying to understand how everything works to things properly.

Thanks,
mhweb is offline  
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2020, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

As Wayne said, your AVR will help you to determine your subwoofer gain (level) setting. But, if I were you, I would leave the phase set at "0" and I would set the crossover at the max setting. I can't tell whether the crossover control knob is even operational unless the crossover switch is set to the "On" position. Your owner's manual may answer that question.

In any event, for calibration purposes, you will want your AVR's automated room correction system (if your AVR has one) to be able to EQ the subwoofer's full frequency range, and initially at least, you will want your subwoofer to be able to play as high as it is able to. Once your AVR sets crossovers for your various speakers that may or may not be quite as important.

With respect to the sub's level (the gain control) I would start with it at about the -12 position, and then adjust upward or downward a little, as required during the calibration process. After your AVR finishes its calibration, you would ideally like for your AVR sub trim to be in negative numbers. If you want to understand more about that, you can refer to the Cliff Notes, in the Guide linked in my signature, or you can read as much detail as you would like to in Section II.

I think that the Guide may be helpful to you as you implement your new subwoofer.

Regards,
Mike
This info help, I'll ready the guide to understand subs better.
Thanks,
mhweb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
subwoofer

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off