Looking for a sub or pair of subs with similar fit & finish to HSU ULS-15 MK2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By bear123
  • 1 Post By bear123
  • 3 Post By ratbuddy

post #1 of 9 Old 01-11-2020, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for a sub or pair of subs with similar fit & finish to HSU ULS-15 MK2

Budget: < $2500
Size Requirements: If I go with a pair of subs, I'd like the width to be less than 20". Smaller the better. If only a single sub, width isn't a concern. I'd prefer height to be under 24". I could potentially go a bit taller, but it would prevent me from upgrading my drop down projector screen to a larger size down the road.
Room Dimensions: ~2300 cu ft, but have an open floor plan so it opens up to something more like 6,500 cu ft and there's open staircase to the 2nd floor. Home theater is in my family room, so it's not a dedicated space.
Primary Uses: 80% TV & Film, 20% Music/Games
Listening Habits: I don't listen at crazy levels since I'm in a residential neighborhood, but definitely like to feel bass.
Appearance Requirements: Needs a high WAF. Would like a cabinet with a rosenut/rosewood hardwood veneer to match existing cabinets/decor
Timeframe: ASAP. Previous sub died.

I need to replace a failed Epik Empire. That sub did Ok in my home theater, but it was never meant to be a permanent fixture. Probably the most restrictive aspect of my ideal sub is I'm looking for hardwood veneer in rosenut or rosewood, which seems to eliminate most options. I don't want a black box. Yes, my Epik was a black box and my wife hated it. I was originally looking at the dual drive HSU ULS-15 MK2, but from reading lots of posts, the HSU VTF-15H MK2 is more commonly recommended for individuals with similar usage patterns and environments. However, I am not digging the looks of VTF-15H MK2.

Any suggestions for subs with similar fit and finish to the ULS-15 MK2 that are more oriented towards low frequency response?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-11-2020, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Liked: 1785
You don't like the looks of the rosenut VTF-15H? Perhaps due to the exposed ports?

Would you be interested in a piano black finish? (http://rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html) Expensive, classy, shiny black box.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-11-2020, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked: 4484
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-11-2020, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/s3012

Choose your wood veneer finish.

/thread.
Are those all real veneers? The price delta over satin black is $200, which may be enough to get real veneers. I'm thinking of "black ash", which is usually vinyl.)
post #5 of 9 Old 01-12-2020, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked: 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Are those all real veneers? The price delta over satin black is $200, which may be enough to get real veneers. I'm thinking of "black ash", which is usually vinyl.)
Yes, very high quality real wood veneers. Remember, PSA's standard finish is not a cheap China vinyl wrap like most other companies.
d-rail34 likes this.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-12-2020, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked: 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Yep, very much real. My S1510 in American cherry:

The way Tom explained it to me is all the finishes use the same base (real) wood veneer, then they stain it after it's on the sub. The finish names are indicative of color, not the type of actual wood. Don't take my word for that, I might be misremembering, I'd shoot Tom an email to confirm if you're interested. All I know for sure is the finish looks amazing.
shivaji, bear123 and pjp like this.

Last edited by ratbuddy; 01-12-2020 at 10:12 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-12-2020, 10:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the advice, and the pictures. Even if PSA uses some stained wood other than fruitwood, those look very good.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-13-2020, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mears View Post
Budget: < $2500
Size Requirements: If I go with a pair of subs, I'd like the width to be less than 20". Smaller the better. If only a single sub, width isn't a concern. I'd prefer height to be under 24". I could potentially go a bit taller, but it would prevent me from upgrading my drop down projector screen to a larger size down the road.
Room Dimensions: ~2300 cu ft, but have an open floor plan so it opens up to something more like 6,500 cu ft and there's open staircase to the 2nd floor. Home theater is in my family room, so it's not a dedicated space.
Primary Uses: 80% TV & Film, 20% Music/Games
Listening Habits: I don't listen at crazy levels since I'm in a residential neighborhood, but definitely like to feel bass.
Appearance Requirements: Needs a high WAF. Would like a cabinet with a rosenut/rosewood hardwood veneer to match existing cabinets/decor
Timeframe: ASAP. Previous sub died.

I need to replace a failed Epik Empire. That sub did Ok in my home theater, but it was never meant to be a permanent fixture. Probably the most restrictive aspect of my ideal sub is I'm looking for hardwood veneer in rosenut or rosewood, which seems to eliminate most options. I don't want a black box. Yes, my Epik was a black box and my wife hated it. I was originally looking at the dual drive HSU ULS-15 MK2, but from reading lots of posts, the HSU VTF-15H MK2 is more commonly recommended for individuals with similar usage patterns and environments. However, I am not digging the looks of VTF-15H MK2.

Any suggestions for subs with similar fit and finish to the ULS-15 MK2 that are more oriented towards low frequency response?
Why not get a pair of the ULS-15 MK2s? I use it for TV/movies/gaming, and it is a solid sub.

If not, I would go with PSA - they were my second choice, but opted for the HSU because it was less expensive (I'm Canadian, so the cost of things coming from the US is about 30% higher than the US list price).

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer

Last edited by Ryan Statz; 01-13-2020 at 04:13 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-13-2020, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked: 2884
Funk is in Canada, if I'm not mistaken. He can do any sort of finish you like. The downside is it's all custom built ($) and the wait is months ...

https://www.funkaudio.ca/

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page