Long subwoofer cable run: RCA vs XLR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bobknavs

post #1 of 4 Old 01-12-2020, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked: 1865
Long subwoofer cable run: RCA vs XLR

Hey all.

So it looks like I'm moving my Funk sub to behind my seating for the best frequency response. Cord length needed will be about 20ft.

My receiver output is RCA and the Funk input is XLR. So I'm obviously going to need to transition from RCA to XLR but which one should I use for the long run?
(i.e do RCA to XLR switch at receiver and run the long length as an XLR cable or make the switch at the subwoofer so the long length is RCA)

Follow up: if running RCA as the long cable is ok, how thin can I go gauge wise before possible distortion might happen?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-12-2020, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2386 Post(s)
Liked: 1865
Nevermind. Realized I should run XLR in case I ever upgrade to a pre/pro with balanced only outs. Future proofing
post #3 of 4 Old 01-12-2020, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2392 Post(s)
Liked: 3667
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post
Hey all.

So it looks like I'm moving my Funk sub to behind my seating for the best frequency response. Cord length needed will be about 20ft.

My receiver output is RCA and the Funk input is XLR. So I'm obviously going to need to transition from RCA to XLR but which one should I use for the long run?
(i.e do RCA to XLR switch at receiver and run the long length as an XLR cable or make the switch at the subwoofer so the long length is RCA)

Follow up: if running RCA as the long cable is ok, how thin can I go gauge wise before possible distortion might happen?

Thanks!

While I think that an 20ft RCA, may work, here's an adapter you could use;
https://www.amazon.ca/KIRLIN-3127-X2...881496&sr=8-11

Darth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-12-2020, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 1783
I'm using a 25' (8m) RCA cable (Mediabridge Ultra) satisfactorily. (My Hsu sub does not have an XLR input.) You won't want one because it's cheap. (I assume that Funk subwoofer owners never buy cheap accessories.)

You have the wrong idea about the wire gauge. The input impedance of the powered sub will be greater than 10k ohms, so no normal wire would have enough resistance to matter. There may be some audiophile magic that might apply, but the wire gauge is unimportant. If your sub is using frequencies below 250 Hz, the shunt capacitance of the cable doesn't matter much either.

If you want to use an active RCA to XLR adapter, so the cable from the AVR to the sub can be balanced XLR nearly all the way, this is one I commonly see mentioned: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._Matching.html

Last edited by bobknavs; 01-12-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page