1 or 2 sub placement for odd lounge area - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2020, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
1 or 2 sub placement for odd lounge area

Hi there,

I've just moved to a new place and the lounge area is quite a odd and large area with a open dining room. (picture attached) and wondering how best to set the room up, mainly for the sub(s) but overall.

I'm quite new to Home Theatre & currently have my first budget system, a Jamo S 807 system (with atmos) - https://www.jamo.com/products/s-807-hcs

The system has performed really well in the smaller room I have it setup in currently - with the sub in the corner.

couple questions:

- Where best to position the current sub?
- I have the option to purchase another new Jamo S 810 sub quite cheap, and wondering if this would help, where should the 2nd sub placement go?
- Should I scrap this sub(s) and get 1 x bigger sub, a entry to mid range 12" or 15"

I understand this is a budget system and isn't going to be earth shaking, just trying to maximise the best I can with the room situation.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200114-121736_Gallery.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	617.7 KB
ID:	2669678  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Today, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraussieav View Post
Hi there,

I've just moved to a new place and the lounge area is quite a odd and large area with a open dining room. (picture attached) and wondering how best to set the room up, mainly for the sub(s) but overall.

I'm quite new to Home Theatre & currently have my first budget system, a Jamo S 807 system (with atmos) - https://www.jamo.com/products/s-807-hcs

The system has performed really well in the smaller room I have it setup in currently - with the sub in the corner.

couple questions:

- I have the option to purchase another new Jamo S 810 sub quite cheap, and wondering if this would help, where should the 2nd sub placement go?
- Should I scrap this sub(s) and get 1 x bigger sub, a entry to mid range 12" or 15"

I understand this is a budget system and isn't going to be earth shaking, just trying to maximise the best I can with the room situation.

Cheers
Where is the rest of the theater set up?

Corner placement of the sub will give maximal bass reinforcement, so probably the best place for a single one right now. A second sub is likely to help give smoother bass response and a little more output, as well. Depends on your priorities.
post #3 of 5 Old Today, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
couple questions:

Cheers
1. If you're feeling adventurous, you can do the sub crawl to figure out the ideal placement:

However, not all spaces are conducive to putting it in the spot that yields the best results, so a corner is your next best option.

2. A second sub would even out the bass response, and give you a little bit of a dB boost. If you can muster the purchase, I'd say go for it. I've been curious about the performance of this particular sub myself - I love the design, I just wish it wasn't a vinyl finish If you go that route, placement of the second can be facilitated by following this video:

3. Only if you're not happy with your current sub's performance. HSU, Rythmik or Power Sound Audio are three sub manufacturers I'd look into. HSU or Rythmik would be your best-bang-for-buck subs if you want to go that route. PSA are also excellent, but tend to be more expensive. I would honestly cross that bridge only when you're truly ready to bump up your system.

Home Theatre: Onkyo TX-NR747 | Polk Audio RTi A3 Front L/R | Polk Audio CSi A6 Centre | Polk Audio RTi A1 Surround L/R | HSU ULS-15 MK2 Subwoofer | Sony XBR55X900E | PlayStation 4 Pro | Xbox One S

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Stanton T.62 | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | KEF Q150 L/R | Elac S10EQ Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old Today, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 239 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9547 Post(s)
Liked: 6589
Quote:
Hi there,

couple questions:

Cheers
Where is the TV and where are the front three speakers?

What is your budget for a new sub.

Adding a second "very cheap" for a system that you really liked in a smaller space is definitely a viable alternative especially if your budget for a new sub is $300 or less.

A second sub will give you better bass across a larger area than you experienced even in your smaller room and they will have +6db or so in sound pressure level, (volume).

Geoff A. J., California
post #5 of 5 Old Today, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked: 2884
Given your moniker, I assume you are in Australia? If so, look into the subs from XTZ. Sell your current sub and add the proceeds to your new purchase.

https://www.xtzsound.eu/product/sub-17-series

If that is not an option, then getting a second sub would most likely improve things, depending on how much effort you put into placing them well. Location is extremely important to get the best from your sub investment.

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page