post #241 of 252 Old 02-13-2020, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddct View Post
That's true, not everyone cares and I agree, take your money elsewhere. But there do seem to be a lot of people who like to make "educated guesses" when making a comparison though.

Todd

Others just care about other things. You care about what you care about, but don’t assume others are guessing.

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 252 Old 02-13-2020, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 334
I hope nobody brings my dad into this, because he's quite the bada$$.
toddct and d-rail34 like this.

Front L&R - Polk LSiM703
Center - Polk LSiM706c
Surround L&R - Polk LSiM703
Subs - Two Rythmik F18-SEs
AVRs - Denon AVR-X6200W, Yamaha RX-A3040 : Amp - Yamaha M-80
post #243 of 252 Old 02-13-2020, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 4732
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
I hope nobody brings my dad into this, because he's quite the bada$$.
>aborts post<
d-rail34 likes this.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 252 Old 02-13-2020, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
Others just care about other things. You care about what you care about, but don’t assume others are guessing.
So if the manufacture does not list graph or output numbers on their product page, someone here goes on and say that sub has more output, etc..., Is it not a guess? He even said 'educated guess' himself
drh3b likes this.
post #245 of 252 Old 02-13-2020, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
Again we agree, not everyone cares about the same things. But when objective measurements (which you brought up in your post concerning databass testing), by a 3rd party or the manufacturer are not known, yet people post speculative output numbers at specific frequencies.......what exactly would you call that?

Todd
jamiebosco likes this.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
post #246 of 252 Old 02-13-2020, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1911 Post(s)
Liked: 2077
I know it is just "the nature of the beast" with some members, but I just don't understand all of the arguing over what is better. You want to know what is the best sub in the world? The one that sounds best to you, works in your room (sound/size/shape), fits your criteria, company provides good customer service and is priced accordingly. Guys, we all like different stuff. Brunette, blonde, red head / Android , Apple / Ford, Chevy, Dodge / American, European, Japanese / so on and so on. Just because someone has a different sub than you doesn't make them your enemy.

Ironically, most of the members on here that I relate to the best and respect their opinion the most, have different subs than I do. The horror! There are A LOT of knowledgeable members here that share their knowledge and experience with the rest of us. I'm not saying you can't disagree with someone, but the way you do so can be handled multiple ways.

Personally, I have never had the pleasure of hearing the current stuff from PSA or Rythmik, but I know they both make very good products. I have heard/read very good things about Enrico and have dealt with Tom personally and received excellent customer service from him long before I ever bought (SVS) subs from him and years after as well. I don't own PSA subs either.

So many variables....I think Imureh's experience goes to show it is very dependent on your room/personal taste. He heard a JTR sub at a friends house and liked it, but didn't like it in his room. The Rythmik sounded better for him. Unfortunately, that really is the only true way to make sure you pick the best option, is to demo them in your room. You "usually" have to eat a return shipping cost, but it's cheap peace of mind knowing you picked the right one.
post #247 of 252 Old 02-13-2020, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2245 Post(s)
Liked: 4732
I agree. The problem is having one owner talking trash about another operation. That's the only reason we have this stream of posts today.

This part is a semi response to a post in an owner's thread.
Rythmik's drivers are more American than this other person's drivers because the voice coil is made in America, and his drivers aren't.

My World Beating System!
Spoiler!
post #248 of 252 Old 02-13-2020, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 2829 Post(s)
Liked: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
The problem is having one owner talking trash about another operation. That's the only reason we have this stream of posts today.
^^ This exactly has been the problem on many occasions, not just today. I would let my products speak for themselves like the rest of the other owners/companies out there. No need to trash talking if my products are up to par and are selling like hot cakes.
post #249 of 252 Old 02-13-2020, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked: 12038
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
I know it is just "the nature of the beast" with some members, but I just don't understand all of the arguing over what is better. You want to know what is the best sub in the world? The one that sounds best to you, works in your room (sound/size/shape), fits your criteria, company provides good customer service and is priced accordingly. Guys, we all like different stuff. Brunette, blonde, red head / Android , Apple / Ford, Chevy, Dodge / American, European, Japanese / so on and so on. Just because someone has a different sub than you doesn't make them your enemy.

Ironically, most of the members on here that I relate to the best and respect their opinion the most, have different subs than I do. The horror! There are A LOT of knowledgeable members here that share their knowledge and experience with the rest of us. I'm not saying you can't disagree with someone, but the way you do so can be handled multiple ways.

Personally, I have never had the pleasure of hearing the current stuff from PSA or Rythmik, but I know they both make very good products. I have heard/read very good things about Enrico and have dealt with Tom personally and received excellent customer service from him long before I ever bought (SVS) subs from him and years after as well. I don't own PSA subs either.

So many variables....I think Imureh's experience goes to show it is very dependent on your room/personal taste. He heard a JTR sub at a friends house and liked it, but didn't like it in his room. The Rythmik sounded better for him. Unfortunately, that really is the only true way to make sure you pick the best option, is to demo them in your room. You "usually" have to eat a return shipping cost, but it's cheap peace of mind knowing you picked the right one.
The is a great post, you summed things up perfectly in my opinion.

The problem stems from people wanting other people to think the way they think and when they don't... well that's when things go South.

Having said that, you know what I think? I think you can get a great subwoofer from PSA, Rythmik, JTR, SVS and some others. But the only way to know what YOU will like best is to demo them in your own room. Ray's experience proved that. A subwoofer has to sound good to you in your own listening environment otherwise you wasted your money.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

Last edited by Hopinater; 02-13-2020 at 07:27 PM.
post #250 of 252 Old 02-14-2020, 07:43 AM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1058 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
A little off topic perhaps. A momentary "mind set" break is not always a bad thing.

Does anybody remember when we had NO or very little Subwoofer Choices? If we could even find a Sub that could get anywhere close to 20Hz it cost as much as our house and needed its own dedicated 50-Amp breaker? I do! I can remember when the Term "Subwoofer" was non existent. Those were the days right? Giant wooden Towers with maybe 12" woofers. Enough to make a grown Man Cry!

As others have said, we live in the Golden Age of, real and tangible in home Low Frequency reproduction at nominal price points. Vast choices, Makes, Models and Sizes to fit damn near every conceivable Room situation/configuration and/or Taste/preference. We should be "rejoicing" at the top of our lungs! How lucky are we to have such a robust Subwoofer Marketplace? This was the stuff of Dreams and Wishes, just a few short years ago!

Let us all take a moment to reflect on that. This is the "Golden" age of Home Subwoofer availability and price. Choices abound, and that is Most definitely a VERY GOOD thing. We want to encourage Competition, it is what makes the Market Diverse and reactive to the "Buyers" wants/needs. Markets like this, don't last forever. At least if history is seen as a tool to predict the course of the future.

I say "Let the Competition Continue" Keep pushing the possible, keep innovating, continue to make improvements.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #251 of 252 Old 02-14-2020, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3678 Post(s)
Liked: 12038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
A little off topic perhaps. A momentary "mind set" break is not always a bad thing.

Does anybody remember when we had NO or very little Subwoofer Choices? If we could even find a Sub that could get anywhere close to 20Hz it cost as much as our house and needed its own dedicated 50-Amp breaker? I do! I can remember when the Term "Subwoofer" was non existent. Those were the days right? Giant wooden Towers with maybe 12" woofers. Enough to make a grown Man Cry!

As others have said, we live in the Golden Age of, real and tangible in home Low Frequency reproduction at nominal price points. Vast choices, Makes, Models and Sizes to fit damn near every conceivable Room situation/configuration and/or Taste/preference. We should be "rejoicing" at the top of our lungs! How lucky are we to have such a robust Subwoofer Marketplace? This was the stuff of Dreams and Wishes, just a few short years ago!

Let us all take a moment to reflect on that. This is the "Golden" age of Home Subwoofer availability and price. Choices abound, and that is Most definitely a VERY GOOD thing. We want to encourage Competition, it is what makes the Market Diverse and reactive to the "Buyers" wants/needs. Markets like this, don't last forever. At least if history is seen as a tool to predict the course of the future.

I say "Let the Competition Continue" Keep pushing the possible, keep innovating, continue to make improvements.
Well said. I remember back when I took a break from home audio for awhile (meaning years) and when I got back into it I had to ask, "What the heck is a subwoofer?"

Now I seem to be addicted to them.
ahblaza and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #252 of 252 Old 02-14-2020, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 3757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Well said. I remember back when I took a break from home audio for awhile (meaning years) and when I got back into it I had to ask, "What the heck is a subwoofer?"

Now I seem to be addicted to them.
I hear you my friend, I've been into audio since the early 70s and didn't have a clue about subwoofers, bought my first one about eight years later and didn't even know how to hook it up, you run the mains speaker wires to it and then back to the L&R, didn't work too well and didn't make make much of difference as mains back then dug pretty deep. I ended up using it as an end table for years as that's what it looked like, no visible controls or driver to be seen. Now look where we're at with so many good choices to be had, too bad I'm getting older and don't have the enthusiasm I used to. Take care my friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page