SVS PB1000 vs SB2000 Pro vs PB2000 Pro - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 19Likes
  • 4 Post By mthomas47
  • 2 Post By confinoj
  • 2 Post By Ed Mullen
  • 1 Post By Doodlekin
  • 3 Post By mthomas47
  • 3 Post By Ed Mullen
  • 1 Post By mthomas47
  • 1 Post By Doodlekin
  • 2 Post By Doodlekin

post #1 of 15 Old 02-07-2020, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Question SVS PB1000 vs SB2000 Pro vs PB2000 Pro

I know these types of questions have been asked here ad nauseam, however, I have seen some contradictory information so I thought I would start my own post.

My room is fully sealed and measures 11’ (w) x 14’ (d) x 9’ (h) which is approx. 1400 cubic feet. I will be using the area mostly for movies, games, TV, maybe 10-20% music.

I am from Australia and from what I’ve seen, SVS is the only ‘good’ widely available brand of subwoofers available here. I am tossing up between dual SVS PB1000 and dual SB2000 Pro. I could also fit a PB2000 pro but it’s probably excessive for the space. Open to considering it or other subs if they are available here.

I will be going to a store this weekend to test subs, but I feel nothing is comparable to having them in your own area to test. Everywhere here has significant restocking fees, so there’s no way I can try properly before I buy. Dual SB2000 will cost me an additional $950 over dual PB1000 ($1,900 and $2,850).

When comparing the two (really the previous SB2000, but essentially the same), a lot of people say that the PB1000 will provide more output. As an example, a user on these forums said:

“If its between the PB1000 or SB2000 for 70%+ movies, the PB1000 by a long shot. Not even close. You'll have much higher output where it counts with much higher tactile energy on movies. I don't think there would be much of a difference on music.”

I’ve seen plenty of other comments stating the same.

I've looked at SPL vs Frequency graphs for the subs obtained from the following:

PB1000 - https://blog.keepcoding.ch/?p=29
PB2000 and SB2000 - https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...svs-sb-pb-2000

Assuming LMS is the software so there could be some discrepancies with the results. Nonetheless, based on my interpretation of the graphs, wouldn’t the SB2000 perform better than the PB1000 in all circumstances? Is there something I’m missing?

That’s without even considering room gain or the 6 DBL gain from dual units. I calculated room gain in my room should kick in at 28hz. I’ve attached graphs compare the standard measurements taken above and then dual units in my room accounting for room gain. Unless I’m making a mistake (and I know this is just theory, once I get them in the room, there could be all sorts of variables), these show the PB2000 has a bit more output than the PB2000 in the 20-30 hertz range. It also shows both models leave the PB1000 for dead.

Can anybody affirm what I have written? Would dual PB1000 be sufficient for my room or should I consider dual SB2000 or even dual PB2000? My girlfriend has given all options the okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Subs.PNG
Views:	53
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	2681586  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-07-2020, 04:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 189
In your space, dual PB1000 should get it done. If you can put one nearfield, that would be great.
post #3 of 15 Old 02-07-2020, 08:52 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Quoted: 5774 Post(s)
Liked: 11650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlekin View Post
I know these types of questions have been asked here ad nauseam, however, I have seen some contradictory information so I thought I would start my own post.

My room is fully sealed and measures 11’ (w) x 14’ (d) x 9’ (h) which is approx. 1400 cubic feet. I will be using the area mostly for movies, games, TV, maybe 10-20% music.

I am from Australia and from what I’ve seen, SVS is the only ‘good’ widely available brand of subwoofers available here. I am tossing up between dual SVS PB1000 and dual SB2000 Pro. I could also fit a PB2000 pro but it’s probably excessive for the space. Open to considering it or other subs if they are available here.

I will be going to a store this weekend to test subs, but I feel nothing is comparable to having them in your own area to test. Everywhere here has significant restocking fees, so there’s no way I can try properly before I buy. Dual SB2000 will cost me an additional $950 over dual PB1000 ($1,900 and $2,850).

When comparing the two (really the previous SB2000, but essentially the same), a lot of people say that the PB1000 will provide more output. As an example, a user on these forums said:

“If its between the PB1000 or SB2000 for 70%+ movies, the PB1000 by a long shot. Not even close. You'll have much higher output where it counts with much higher tactile energy on movies. I don't think there would be much of a difference on music.”

I've looked at SPL vs Frequency graphs for the subs obtained from the following:

Assuming LMS is the software so there could be some discrepancies with the results. Nonetheless, based on my interpretation of the graphs, wouldn’t the SB2000 perform better than the PB1000 in all circumstances? Is there something I’m missing?

That’s without even considering room gain or the 6 DBL gain from dual units. I calculated room gain in my room should kick in at 28hz. I’ve attached graphs compare the standard measurements taken above and then dual units in my room accounting for room gain. Unless I’m making a mistake (and I know this is just theory, once I get them in the room, there could be all sorts of variables), these show the PB2000 has a bit more output than the PB2000 in the 20-30 hertz range. It also shows both models leave the PB1000 for dead.

Can anybody affirm what I have written? Would dual PB1000 be sufficient for my room or should I consider dual SB2000 or even dual PB2000? My girlfriend has given all options the okay.

Hi,

You have obviously done quite a bit of research, and have given this a lot of thought. But, there is something that you are missing. The graphs that you posted are both taken from the SVS website. They show the basic shape of the frequency response, and that is very helpful. But, what they don't show is the maximum output of the subwoofers, and that can also be important when you are comparing specific models and trying to determine how much output will be enough for you.

For instance, compare the measured output difference between the SB2000 and the PB2000, in the same review you referenced:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...svs-sb-pb-2000

If you compare those numbers, you will see that the PB2000 has slightly more max output, at every frequency from 63Hz down, than the SB2000 has. Below 40Hz, that output difference becomes profound! Although there aren't any comparable measurements which would allow us to see max output numbers for the PB1000 and the SB1000, the output difference between the two, below about 40 or 50Hz, would be similar.

That is a fundamental characteristic of ported subs. They typically have more output, below about 50Hz, than comparable sealed subs, due to the larger cabinet volume and the ports which also move air to create bass sounds. At low-frequencies, room gain can help to make-up some of the low-frequency difference between sealed and ported subs. (Both benefit in the same way from room gain, but ported subs roll-off much faster below their port tunes.)

My guess is that sealed SB2000's will give you just what you are looking for in a 1400^3 room, because you should be getting a lot of room gain below 20Hz. But, that may depend somewhat on your overall listening level, and on how much additional bass you like to add to your overall volume level.

Ported subs also give you much more tactile response (TR) for low-frequencies--deep bass vibrations you can feel. That is due to the ports themselves, which move air, creating additional particle velocity. That can be a very good thing for people who are on concrete floors, because concrete laid on soil is relatively inert. But, on a suspended wood floor, ported subs (especially in a small room) can actually give some people excessive tactile ULF, because the floor itself resonates with <20Hz frequencies.

So, even in a very small room, some of this depends on your room construction, and some of it depends on your own listening habits and preferences. I think that for most people, dual SB2000's should be plenty! And, that's probably what I would recommend in the majority of cases.

But, if you are on concrete, and if you really want a lot of low-bass SPL and TR, I would probably try to go with either the dual PB1000's or even the PB2000's. For many people, dual PB2000's would be way more than they need in a room that size. But, I have seen people who enjoy even more powerful ported subs than those in rooms that size.

I wish that I could be more helpful. But, if this were an easy question to answer, just based on room size, there wouldn't be so many threads like this one.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 02-07-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-07-2020, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1329 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Agree with Mike on choice of dual SB2000 pros in your space. While dual PB-1000s would also do fine in that size room, as you and Mike have pointed out you should be able to take advantage of significant room gain with the SB2000 Pros and wind up with far better extension in room than than the PB1000s. Additionally the 2000 pro should have considerably better sound quality especially for music. The PB-1000 is not the most articulate sub. Yes you may have a little less tactile response but I think the other benefits outweigh that.
SaskCanesFan and mthomas47 like this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | HDHomeRun Quatro | Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | 40TB Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #5 of 15 Old 02-07-2020, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:

The SB-2000 Pro has higher dynamic output in the 40-80 Hz octave - this is due to the larger woofer and higher amp power. The PB-1000 has higher dynamic output in the 18-36 Hz octave - this is due to the much larger cabinet and port.

Your room will start exhibiting room gain at about 32-33 Hz. A pair of SB-2000 Pro will be pretty potent in this size room and will also take excellent advantage of room gain - expect flat in-room extension to about 14-15 Hz.

If the PB-2000 Pro is too large, consider the PC-2000 Pro which has the same performance but with a much smaller footprint.

Compared to the PB-1000, the PB/PC-2000 Pro will extend considerably deeper and will also have a big jump in dynamic output across both octaves.
jamiebosco and d-rail34 like this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #6 of 15 Old 02-08-2020, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

You have obviously done quite a bit of research, and have given this a lot of thought. But, there is something that you are missing. The graphs that you posted are both taken from the SVS website. They show the basic shape of the frequency response, and that is very helpful. But, what they don't show is the maximum output of the subwoofers, and that can also be important when you are comparing specific models and trying to determine how much output will be enough for you.

For instance, compare the measured output difference between the SB2000 and the PB2000, in the same review you referenced:

https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofe...svs-sb-pb-2000

If you compare those numbers, you will see that the PB2000 has slightly more max output, at every frequency from 63Hz down, than the SB2000 has. Below 40Hz, that output difference becomes profound! Although there aren't any comparable measurements which would allow us to see max output numbers for the PB1000 and the SB1000, the output difference between the two, below about 40 or 50Hz, would be similar.

That is a fundamental characteristic of ported subs. They typically have more output, below about 50Hz, than comparable sealed subs, due to the larger cabinet volume and the ports which also move air to create bass sounds. At low-frequencies, room gain can help to make-up some of the low-frequency difference between sealed and ported subs. (Both benefit in the same way from room gain, but ported subs roll-off much faster below their port tunes.)

My guess is that sealed SB2000's will give you just what you are looking for in a 1400^3 room, because you should be getting a lot of room gain below 20Hz. But, that may depend somewhat on your overall listening level, and on how much additional bass you like to add to your overall volume level.

Ported subs also give you much more tactile response (TR) for low-frequencies--deep bass vibrations you can feel. That is due to the ports themselves, which move air, creating additional particle velocity. That can be a very good thing for people who are on concrete floors, because concrete laid on soil is relatively inert. But, on a suspended wood floor, ported subs (especially in a small room) can actually give some people excessive tactile ULF, because the floor itself resonates with <20Hz frequencies.

So, even in a very small room, some of this depends on your room construction, and some of it depends on your own listening habits and preferences. I think that for most people, dual SB2000's should be plenty! And, that's probably what I would recommend in the majority of cases.

But, if you are on concrete, and if you really want a lot of low-bass SPL and TR, I would probably try to go with either the dual PB1000's or even the PB2000's. For many people, dual PB2000's would be way more than they need in a room that size. But, I have seen people who enjoy even more powerful ported subs than those in rooms that size.

I wish that I could be more helpful. But, if this were an easy question to answer, just based on room size, there wouldn't be so many threads like this one.

Regards,
Mike
Wow Mike, really insightful. Greatly appreciate that response and you've been immensely helpful.

I actually went to a store to test them out today but the only SVS sub on display was the PB3000. The room was easily 2.5+ times larger than my room. We played a bit of music and it really blew me away. It was the first time I've really heard a good sub like that. Then we put on some bass heavy movie action scenes and whilst it was good, it didn't give much tactile feedback, which is what you've alluded to.

Obviously in my room, 2 SB2000s would probably sound even better for music but I feel they may still be lacking for movies. Even with regards to the benefits of room gain and consideration of my small room, my understanding from your comments is that I'm really only going to get that hard hitting LFE bass with a ported sub. Would you agree?

I actually am on a concrete slab in a carpeted room. The only potential annoyance would be the cavity door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Mullen View Post
The SB-2000 Pro has higher dynamic output in the 40-80 Hz octave - this is due to the larger woofer and higher amp power. The PB-1000 has higher dynamic output in the 18-36 Hz octave - this is due to the much larger cabinet and port.

Your room will start exhibiting room gain at about 32-33 Hz. A pair of SB-2000 Pro will be pretty potent in this size room and will also take excellent advantage of room gain - expect flat in-room extension to about 14-15 Hz.

If the PB-2000 Pro is too large, consider the PC-2000 Pro which has the same performance but with a much smaller footprint.

Compared to the PB-1000, the PB/PC-2000 Pro will extend considerably deeper and will also have a big jump in dynamic output across both octaves.
Thanks very much. It's come to my attention that I may have some affinity for ported due to the tactile benefits. From what I've read, the PB1000s sound like they'd be an audio quality compromise compared to the SB2000 and PB2000. I actually used the crappy sub I got years ago with my soundbar and did a sub crawl. Found the spot I planned to put it between the speaker and the entertainment unit was just okay and the two best spots were the rear left and right corners. With that in mind, if I got the PB2000s I could put them in these corners no issues.

I've heard reports of ported subs sounding boomy in small rooms, particularly when placed in corners. Do you think the PB2000s would be overkill or would need to be turned down considerably to the point where they aren't even going to be giving me the tactile feel anyway?
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by Doodlekin; 02-08-2020 at 07:47 AM.
post #7 of 15 Old 02-08-2020, 07:56 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Wow Mike, really insightful. Greatly appreciate that response and you've been immensely helpful.

I actually went to a store to test them out today but the only SVS sub on display was the PB3000. The room was easily 2.5+ times larger than my room. We played a bit of music and it really blew me away. It was the first time I've really heard a good sub like that. Then we put on some bass heavy movie action scenes and whilst it was good, it didn't give much tactile feedback, which is what you've alluded to.

Obviously in my room, 2 SB2000s would probably sound even better for music but I feel they may still be lacking for movies. Even with regards to the benefits of room gain and consideration of my small room, my understanding from your comments is that I'm really only going to get that hard hitting LFE bass with a ported sub. Would you agree?

Thanks very much. It's come to my attention that I may have some affinity for ported due to the tactile benefits. From what I've read, the PB1000s sound like they'd be an audio quality compromise compared to the SB2000 and PB2000. I actually used the crappy sub I got years ago with my soundbar and did a sub crawl. Found the spot I planned to put it between the speaker and the entertainment unit was just okay and the two best spots were the rear left and right corners. With that in mind, if I got the PB2000s I could put them in these corners no issues.

I've heard reports of ported subs sounding boomy in small rooms, particularly when placed in corners. Do you think the PB2000s would be overkill or would need to be turned down considerably to the point where they aren't even going to be giving me the tactile feel anyway?

You are very welcome! I think that any subwoofer can potentially sound boomy when placed in a corner, due to the boundary reinforcement from the two walls. But, moving the sub a few inches out from the corner usually helps with that. The two rear corners may still be the best location for dual subs, but it won't hurt to experiment a little with the new subs. For instance, you might find that the dual subs interact differently when placed in those positions, as opposed to finding the two best individual spots as you were doing before.

I was a little reluctant to suggest dual ported PB2000's to you, until I knew a little more about your own bass preferences. But, if you think you will really miss having the ULF TR, that the ported subs can produce, then dual PB2000's would be a good solution, especially on a concrete floor. And, you are not alone there. I was serious in saying that some people prefer very powerful ported subs in very small rooms.

One thing I really like about the new PB2000 Pro is that it can be operated in either the ported mode or the sealed mode. You wouldn't want to mix them; both subwoofers need to be operated in the same mode. But, among other things, that gives you some flexibility, and some future-proofing, in a situation where exchanges and upgrades are not available.

You could start with the ported mode, drop back to sealed for a while, and then experiment with ported again when you are in the mood for it. A pretty consistent trend that I have noticed on AVS is that, as we are exposed to better bass, most of us want more of it. At some point, most of us do reach an equilibrium point where enough is enough, and no more upgrades are desirable.

But, it takes most people some time, and several upgrades, to get to that point. Starting with dual PB2000 Pro's would make sense from that perspective as well. And, who knows? You might find yourself in a larger room someday, too.

Regards,
Mike

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 02-08-2020 at 08:15 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 02-08-2020, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:

A ported sub in a small room will typically exhibit a rising low-end response due to room gain. This can make it sound bottom-heavy. If you use an AVR which equalizes the subwoofer channel - it will restore a flat in-room response and then the subwoofer will sound balanced again. But you'll still retain the benefits of the higher dynamic output of the ported sub in the 18-36 Hz octave.
jamiebosco, bear123 and d-rail34 like this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #9 of 15 Old 02-09-2020, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Well I appear to have WAF'd myself. As in, I'm not certain about the PB2000 up front. She actually seems to think it would be okay.

I made some cardboard cutouts with the approximate size of the units and put them in the little nook. I've attached photos below, including shots of my other woofers . Mind the soundbar, was just testing some things in here. The only equipment I've got at this stage is the LR speakers.

I think you guys have done all you can to help me! At this stage, I'm stuck with my indecisiveness.

However, one last question if you don't mind. If I had the PB2000s and the only place I was really comfortable putting them was the rear corners, would there be less chance of null zones, isolation, etc even if they aren't placed perfectly, simply because of the output they provide?

I really envy those who can take advantage of the SVS Bill of Rights!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200209_121912.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2682598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200209_121928.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	995.8 KB
ID:	2682600  

Last edited by Doodlekin; 02-09-2020 at 12:23 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 02-09-2020, 06:35 AM
AVS ***** Member

Quote:
Well I appear to have WAF'd myself. As in, I'm not certain about the PB2000 up front. She actually seems to think it would be okay.

I made some cardboard cutouts with the approximate size of the units and put them in the little nook. I've attached photos below, including shots of my other woofers . Mind the soundbar, was just testing some things in here. The only equipment I've got at this stage is the LR speakers.

I think you guys have done all you can to help me! At this stage, I'm stuck with my indecisiveness.

However, one last question if you don't mind. If I had the PB2000s and the only place I was really comfortable putting them was the rear corners, would there be less chance of null zones, isolation, etc even if they aren't placed perfectly, simply because of the output they provide?

I really envy those who can take advantage of the SVS Bill of Rights!

Hi,

Your front soundstage is crowded, but that's really not that unusual. If I wanted to put a PB2000 up front, and I might, I would put the sub in the right corner and move the speaker between the sub and the equipment stand. That would let you angle the right front speaker properly toward the listening position. Based on experience, from looking at a lot of these front wall arrangements, after a while you would forget about the relative crowding along the front wall, as long as you were rewarded with good bass in return.

But, that's the real question. Where are you going to get the best sounding bass? The two rear corners might work, or you might find that diagonal front/rear corners work better. To answer your other question though, if you have a null you are dealing with, you won't be able to overpower it with brute force. Subwoofer placement, or a forward/backward adjustment in the seating position, or an adjustment in the phase of one of the subs will be necessary.

You won't know if that is even a problem though, or whether it is a significant audible problem (which is a little different thing) until you have two subwoofers you can experiment with. But, if you want to have dual subs, which should theoretically help with the frequency response, it won't really matter whether they are smaller subs, or larger ones like the PB2000's. The problems will be inherent to the subwoofer placement, and based on your photos and descriptions, you will still have the same placement options available in either case.

I really wish that you did have access to the SVS Bill of Rights, but I honestly don't think it would make any difference in this case, if I were in your place. I would still get the subwoofers I really wanted, and then I would find a way to make them work in the space. FWIW, that's what most of us who want to improve our bass have to do, even in much bigger rooms.

Regards,
Mike

Edit: Something else that I might want to consider is Ed's suggestion regarding dual PC2000's, rather than dual PB2000's. Or, perhaps one of each, as they will work just fine together. The PC2000 would give you an even smaller footprint than you would have with an SB2000 or a PB1000. That's just something else to think about as you weigh your options.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Last edited by mthomas47; 02-09-2020 at 06:54 AM.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-09-2020, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. Go with the subs I want and then work on placement.

Yeah definitely a bit crowded up front. The issue with moving a sub to the front corner or getting the PC is that it would result in a compromise in screen size going from a hopeful 120" or 110" to something like 80", and I'd rather not do that. The girlfriend would definitely not allow that haha.

If required for performance, I think a PB up front would be fine. Gotta go for function over form and in any case, it's going to look a lot nicer than my the cardboard box.

Just wanted to say thanks again. I've seen you and Ed pop up in heaps of threads when doing my research always being helpful and giving people good advice. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes when it's all done, will order this week and it will all be done in a few weeks.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 02-09-2020, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 212
If my only option was SVS due to location, I'd go DIY.

Theater: JVC RS540U, 2.35:1 142" screen, Onkyo RZ1100, Panasonic UB820, Outlaw Audio M2200 Monoblock x3, Klipsch RF7II, RC64II, RS62II, 5800CII x4 Atmos, PSA V3611 Subwoofer x2.
2 Channel: Parasound P6, Parasound A23+, Rega Planar 6 with Ortofon 2M Bronze, Klispch La Scala II.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-11-2020, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm in a similar boat to you, I have approximately a 4.3m x 4.6m x 2.7m theater room and I ended up going with the SVS PB2000 Pro (single for now), unfortunately I haven't moved into the new house yet to test this out but from my research, this seemed like the biggest I should go for the room size (I'm in Australia also so very limited in the amount of quality subwoofers available).

Very keen to hear your thoughts on this sub for your theater room when you get it set up.
post #14 of 15 Old 02-11-2020, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3099 Post(s)
Liked: 4663
After reading through your thread, I'd definitely go with a pair of PB2000 pros. Those KEF's look really really nice....you need a strong pair of subs to complement them. I'll almost guarantee if you start smaller than dual PB2000's you'll have regrets, wonder what if, and end up selling/upgrading.

Buy once.

I demo'd a PB2000 a few years back. It has a nice, strong low end response that I feel confident will give you some really nice strong low end tactile response. EQ can always adjust things if necessary....cross that bridge when you come to it.

To fast forward a bit, the solution for eq other than your AVR's eq(hopefully you have Audysey XT32 level AVR with its excellent subeqHT for dual subs) is a miniDSP 2x4 HD and a Umik-1 microphone, along with REW.
post #15 of 15 Old 02-13-2020, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsbro View Post
I'm in a similar boat to you, I have approximately a 4.3m x 4.6m x 2.7m theater room and I ended up going with the SVS PB2000 Pro (single for now), unfortunately I haven't moved into the new house yet to test this out but from my research, this seemed like the biggest I should go for the room size (I'm in Australia also so very limited in the amount of quality subwoofers available).

Very keen to hear your thoughts on this sub for your theater room when you get it set up.
That's a good size room. Mine is fine but a bit more width would be nice.

I'm kind of glad we are so limited for choices here. In case you couldn't tell from the thread, I'm horrible with decision making.

I will definitely give you an update when it's all done. Probably be a few weeks before it's all ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
After reading through your thread, I'd definitely go with a pair of PB2000 pros. Those KEF's look really really nice....you need a strong pair of subs to complement them. I'll almost guarantee if you start smaller than dual PB2000's you'll have regrets, wonder what if, and end up selling/upgrading.

Buy once.

I demo'd a PB2000 a few years back. It has a nice, strong low end response that I feel confident will give you some really nice strong low end tactile response. EQ can always adjust things if necessary....cross that bridge when you come to it.

To fast forward a bit, the solution for eq other than your AVR's eq(hopefully you have Audysey XT32 level AVR with its excellent subeqHT for dual subs) is a miniDSP 2x4 HD and a Umik-1 microphone, along with REW.
Thanks for the reassurance. I'm actually feeling really confident in the decision now.

I was initially looking at a Yamaha RX-A2080 as it is only $200 AUD more than the Denon X3600H. However, I now intend on getting the Denon for two reasons. First is Audyssey as I worry about YPAO's ability to EQ the subs at low frequencies and second is the 11 channel processing in case I want to add in rears.
mthomas47 and hellsbro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page