Hardly any bass from svs pb2000 with Sony receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan P

post #1 of 9 Old 02-11-2020, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hardly any bass from svs pb2000 with Sony receiver

Hi. First post here. Trying to set up my 3.1 home theater system. I have a Sony str-dh590 receiver, monitor audio bronze center, monitor audio bronze front standing speakers and the pb2000. Did the auto calibration. The front speakers are set to small and 120 hz, sub trim is -6.5db, rca cable plugged into lfe, low pass filter is set to lfe, phase is 0, and gain on sub is 12 o’clock. When a movie is playing there is barely any noticeable bass. Not sure what to check next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-12-2020, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Nothing obviously wrong with your settings. Play the test tones on the sony, does the sub make noise when it's supposed to?

If yes, the problem is between source and receiver, likely some setting on the source or receiver. If no, the problem is between receiver and sub or the sub itself.

Auto-calibration is usually frugal on the bass. Try turning sub trim up by 3-6dB too.

Source: Gaming/HT PC, i7 3770K, 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz, 2x GTX 980Ti SLI, MPC-HCx64 w/ MadVR & SVP frame interpolation
Display: Panasonic VT30 55" Plasma ::: Receiver: Denon AVR-1910
5.1 Speakers: Behringer B215XLs
Subwoofers: 4x SI HT18 D4 - iNuke NU4-6000 w/ silent-fans (1 driver per channel at 2ohm)

Last edited by Ormy; 02-12-2020 at 04:25 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-13-2020, 03:33 PM

Most likely sub positioning, you are sitting in a null
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I'm not sure about the PB2000, but on my SB2000 there was hardly any noticeable bass coming from the sub when gain was set to 12 o'clock position, which is where I started. I ended up turning it to about the 8 or 9 o'clock range to get a level I could hear well. Also there is something really goofy with these cheap Sony receivers where if you have the audio set to a specific mode it won't allow bass to be passed through to the sub. I ended up using AFD auto. I will never buy another Sony receiver again, the only reason I did was it was super cheap and all I needed was enough to run 2 bookshelf speakers and a sub in a 2.1 configuration. I like my Onkyo and Yamaha receiver's way more.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 6889 Post(s)
Liked: 6563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxerride04 View Post
Hi. First post here. Trying to set up my 3.1 home theater system. I have a Sony str-dh590 receiver, monitor audio bronze center, monitor audio bronze front standing speakers and the pb2000. Did the auto calibration. The front speakers are set to small and 120 hz, sub trim is -6.5db, rca cable plugged into lfe, low pass filter is set to lfe, phase is 0, and gain on sub is 12 o’clock. When a movie is playing there is barely any noticeable bass. Not sure what to check next?
If turning up the subwoofer trim and/or gain on the sub amp doesn't help, walk around the room while playing some bass heavy content...is the bass much stronger in other parts of the room? If the answer is YES, you need to find a new place for your sub or your MLP because you are sitting in a null.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
You should look into getting a sub splitter - its a $5 plug that can double the output level.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 6889 Post(s)
Liked: 6563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
You should look into getting a sub splitter - its a $5 plug that can double the output level.
Not exactly true.

Using a y-splitter and connecting to both the left and right inputs on a sub will increase the input voltage by 6dB, which in turn increases the output by 6dB. Exactly the same thing as turning up the subwoofer trim in the AVR by 6dB.

Just didn't want the OP to think he can double the output capabilities of his sub with a $5 splitter.
d-rail34 likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-14-2020, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Not exactly true.

Using a y-splitter and connecting to both the left and right inputs on a sub will increase the input voltage by 6dB, which in turn increases the output by 6dB. Exactly the same thing as turning up the subwoofer trim in the AVR by 6dB.

Just didn't want the OP to think he can double the output capabilities of his sub with a $5 splitter.
Of course you are right and my comment was technically true. But for a lot of people having to turn up the sub output level (in AVT or knob in back) is psychologically equivalent to thinking the sub output is 'less'. And a lot of them will think something is lacking.

This is also not well known because it only happens on certain brands of AVRs or maybe models. I've seen it on my Yamaha but not Onkyo/Pioneer.

In any case its a good thing to have and can't hurt.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormy View Post
Nothing obviously wrong with your settings. Play the test tones on the sony, does the sub make noise when it's supposed to?

If yes, the problem is between source and receiver, likely some setting on the source or receiver. If no, the problem is between receiver and sub or the sub itself.

Auto-calibration is usually frugal on the bass. Try turning sub trim up by 3-6dB too.
When I do the auto calibrate the sub does make noise. I tried bumping the sub trim up and it made it alittle louder but not like it should. I would expect a lot more bass and maybe the windows rattling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
If turning up the subwoofer trim and/or gain on the sub amp doesn't help, walk around the room while playing some bass heavy content...is the bass much stronger in other parts of the room? If the answer is YES, you need to find a new place for your sub or your MLP because you are sitting in a null.
I did walk around the room and didn't notice a difference. The sub is halfway down the wall near my tv. I suppose I could stick it in the back corner of my living room behind the couch but I would have to move stuff. Even having my ear up against the sub it doesn't sound loud to me. For $600 plus for the sub maybe I'm expecting more room shaking bass? It seems like it should be louder than it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I tried the splitter and I didn't notice a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker84 View Post
I'm not sure about the PB2000, but on my SB2000 there was hardly any noticeable bass coming from the sub when gain was set to 12 o'clock position, which is where I started. I ended up turning it to about the 8 or 9 o'clock range to get a level I could hear well. Also there is something really goofy with these cheap Sony receivers where if you have the audio set to a specific mode it won't allow bass to be passed through to the sub. I ended up using AFD auto. I will never buy another Sony receiver again, the only reason I did was it was super cheap and all I needed was enough to run 2 bookshelf speakers and a sub in a 2.1 configuration. I like my Onkyo and Yamaha receiver's way more.
yeah I'm starting to think the sony receiver is to blame. I bought it because it was cheap as well. I scrolled thru all the sony settings and modes and nothing really changes the bass. Gonna look at another receiver and see what happens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page