Building a Riser - Bass Trap? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-12-2020, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Building a Riser - Bass Trap?

Hi there,
I want to build a riser - say 8" or so. While the construction of the riser is not too demanding, I'm wondering if I can use this to build a large bass trap. My room only has 2 corners, 1 of which is most likely not suitable for a bass trap. My PJ screen is only 12" off that front right wall.

The other corner is the back right corner. This could be doable, but I wanted to add a bar or something in the future.

Anyway - for the riser, is there a specific material to use, should I avoid this completely, will the room be dead after that???

While I'm doing this, should I run more sub cable for bass shakers, or anything else I'm forgetting?

Thank you.

----

EDIT:
I added a diagram with some decent detail. It is not to scale, but it should help visualize what I'm trying to do.

The riser will have either 3" or 4" holes cut into each bay. I will use 5.5" Roxul Safe & Sound leaving 2" of air on the bottom. 2"x8" studs will sit either directly on the tile floor, or some type of thick matt, like you would find in a gym.

I'd eventually like to add bass traps in the corner, but I don't see any real way to do this in this layout.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, including telling me this is a bad idea and will never absorb any frequencies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Riser.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	2684092  

Last edited by cowbodude99; 02-12-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-12-2020, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 6883 Post(s)
Liked: 6552
Not sure how effective it would be as a bass trap, but have you looked into turning that riser into a BOSS riser?
post #3 of 5 Old 02-13-2020, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Not sure how effective it would be as a bass trap, but have you looked into turning that riser into a BOSS riser?
BOSS - This would involve bass shakers built into the platform? Would that actually help with bass in the room, or just make it so people on the 2nd row would 'feel' it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-13-2020, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 6883 Post(s)
Liked: 6552
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbodude99 View Post
BOSS - This would involve bass shakers built into the platform? Would that actually help with bass in the room, or just make it so people on the 2nd row would 'feel' it?
Take a look at that thread...but, yes, it would only effect the seating on the riser. But, you could also build the mini-riser BOSS for your front row. Check out the thread, all the details are in there!
post #5 of 5 Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Take a look at that thread...but, yes, it would only effect the seating on the riser. But, you could also build the mini-riser BOSS for your front row. Check out the thread, all the details are in there!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page