Dual SVS SB2000/pro vs. Single SB3000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Kothoga
  • 2 Post By Ed Mullen
  • 1 Post By djjaeger

post #1 of 17 Old 02-14-2020, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Dual SVS SB2000/pro vs. Single SB3000

Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade the sub in my system. I recently upgraded all the other components, and am running Polk LSiM 707/707/702s powered by a Monolith 7x200 amp and an Onkyo TX-RZ830 receiver. My sub is still my original Polk PSW505 (from my past Monitor 70/CS2/40 setup). Its sticking out as a sore thumb vs. my LSiMs. I find it particularly sloppy/boomy, and I've tried moving it in 3 different locations in my room.

Regarding the room, I'm attaching a little blueprint but I have about 17x14 living room (238 sq ft) but its connected in an open layout to a 10x10 den (100sq ft) and 10x17 kitchen (170 sq ft). The ceilings are about 8ft but taper upward to 12 ft in the center of the open floor plan, so it is a lot of cubic footage...

Since I'm still in an apartment, I'm really looking for more quality over quantity. As I mentioned I find the current sub very boomy/inaccurate/sloppy, not tight and punchy like the bass I get off my Polk LSiM 707s. Often I find I'm turning the sub off now a days and just relying on the fronts in full range mode. However with some action packed movies, and multi-channel audio concert discs with dedicated LFE channels I find I need to use the sub and as such I need a better one.

I'm looking at SVS and its current sales, I think based on my preferences above, I would prefer a sealed sub (even if it has less output) due to the accuracy / tightness. I've got a good friend with a PSA 15" sealed sub that he loves and I've heard, which again points me to the sealed category based on my limited auditioning. Also, being still in an apartment I can't totally rattle the heck out of my neighbors, but I want to invest in something that will last many years for when I move into a house and hopefully build a dedicated theater room finally. I'm about 30% music, 40% TV, 30% movies for my current listening habits. The SVS SB2000 for $649 in piano gloss (vs. $799 regular) seems like a pretty good deal and caught my eye. The engineer in me likes the idea of all the tuning possible on the SB2000 pro and SB3000 though with the app and more advanced DSP, but is it really worth the extra cost? Being a sealed sub and the lower output and sometimes range, I then looking at the SB3000 and its larger driver (almost a 14") with its lower reach, it got some great marks from audioholics, but the cost goes up considerably. My budget right now is <$1200, although honestly I'm the kind of guy that hunts for a good deal and bang for the buck more so than the absolute $ amount. I've never had dual subs, but have always liked the concept and read a lot about the benefits. I could swing 2xSB2000s but couldn't afford 2x SB2000pros or 2x SB3000s right now (they're not on sale either and don't feel like a "good deal" to the bargain hunter in me).

1.) At $650 for the piano black gloss SB2000 (non-pro), are they a great deal and worth stretching the budget to $1300 to grab a dual setup?
2.) Are the SB2000 pros really worth the extra $250 over the SB2000 non-pro (based on current sales)?
3.) If I'm going to stay sealed, should I really go up to a single SB3000 instead with the bigger driver, better output and deeper range?
4.) Should I think about any other brands / models (been looking at monolith sealed and HSUs as well, but I gravitate back to SVS and their great customer service)

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floorplan.png
Views:	42
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	2684810   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200125_175909.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	787.0 KB
ID:	2684822  

System: LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ830, Monoprice Monolith 7x200, 5.1 (2x Polk LSIM707, 1x Polk LSIM706c, 2x Polk LSIM702f/x, 1x Polk PSW505)
Devices: Roku Premiere+ 4630, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield TV 2019, LG UBK90 UHD, Win7 MediaCenter HTPC, HD Homerun Prime Network Tuner

Last edited by djjaeger; 02-14-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I would go with dual SVS SB2000 in piano black. When you get them try placing one nearfield, that is, within 4 feet of the main listening position.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-14-2020, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 212
While SVS makes some OK subs, they are going to have the least return on investment and worst bang of the buck compared to PSA, JTR, etc. I'd go dual but being in an apartment and wanting to upgrade down the road, I wouldn't waste the cash and just find something to make do until in a house, then cram in four DIY 21" LFE Devastators (Which would crush 10~12 PB16s).
farsider3000 likes this.

Theater: JVC RS540U, 2.35:1 142" screen, Onkyo RZ1100, Panasonic UB820, Outlaw Audio M2200 Monoblock x3, Klipsch RF7II, RC64II, RS62II, 5800CII x4 Atmos, PSA V3611 Subwoofer x2.
2 Channel: Parasound P6, Parasound A23+, Rega Planar 6 with Ortofon 2M Bronze, Klispch La Scala II.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-14-2020, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothoga View Post
While SVS makes some OK subs, they are going to have the least return on investment and worst bang of the buck compared to PSA, JTR, etc. I'd go dual but being in an apartment and wanting to upgrade down the road, I wouldn't waste the cash and just find something to make do until in a house, then cram in four DIY 21" LFE Devastators (Which would crush 10~12 PB16s).
Unfortunately I think DIY is out of the question right now. I simply don't have the tools/space to complete such a project in my current living situation. Maybe someday in the future. But I'm definitely open to other brands and suggestions. The one thing I don't like about SVS is that awful looking metal grill. I don't understand why they wouldn't sell fabric replacement grills as an add-on product for those that prefer a different look.

System: LG OLED65C8PUA, Onkyo TX-RZ830, Monoprice Monolith 7x200, 5.1 (2x Polk LSIM707, 1x Polk LSIM706c, 2x Polk LSIM702f/x, 1x Polk PSW505)
Devices: Roku Premiere+ 4630, Microsoft Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield TV 2019, LG UBK90 UHD, Win7 MediaCenter HTPC, HD Homerun Prime Network Tuner
post #5 of 17 Old 02-14-2020, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 212
I'd pick up a single PSA V1812 then and plan to add another upon buying a house. https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V1812 or if you really want a sealed unit: https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/s1812

This gives you a major step up with an Italian made 18" B&C pro level driver that is absolutely going to walk all over the little 12" from SVS. An 18" is 254 square inches vs a 12" at 113. After all, for the most part, it all comes down to number of cones and or size of cones.

Theater: JVC RS540U, 2.35:1 142" screen, Onkyo RZ1100, Panasonic UB820, Outlaw Audio M2200 Monoblock x3, Klipsch RF7II, RC64II, RS62II, 5800CII x4 Atmos, PSA V3611 Subwoofer x2.
2 Channel: Parasound P6, Parasound A23+, Rega Planar 6 with Ortofon 2M Bronze, Klispch La Scala II.
post #6 of 17 Old 02-14-2020, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9702 Post(s)
Liked: 6730
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjaeger View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for any help!
Go dual and start with SVS.

I'm assuming you won't be returning them as you'll be very very happy.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7 of 17 Old 02-14-2020, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I was going to get the SB3000 last year since I'm in Canada and the other options cost a lot more to ship in, but ended up having really good luck and found someone selling a pair of HSU ULS-15 mk2's semi-locally so I jumped at the opportunity and snagged one. I would really recommend looking at that as an option as well, especially since you live in the US. It is a fantastic sub and I think it would definitely fit all the needs you listed.

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3 / Nvidia Shield TV
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / HSU ULS-15 mk2
post #8 of 17 Old 02-15-2020, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
Quote:
Hi all,
I'm looking to upgrade the sub in my system. I recently upgraded all the other components, and am running Polk LSiM 707/707/702s powered by a Monolith 7x200 amp and an Onkyo TX-RZ830 receiver. My sub is still my original Polk PSW505 (from my past Monitor 70/CS2/40 setup). Its sticking out as a sore thumb vs. my LSiMs. I find it particularly sloppy/boomy, and I've tried moving it in 3 different locations in my room.

Regarding the room, I'm attaching a little blueprint but I have about 17x14 living room (238 sq ft) but its connected in an open layout to a 10x10 den (100sq ft) and 10x17 kitchen (170 sq ft). The ceilings are about 8ft but taper upward to 12 ft in the center of the open floor plan, so it is a lot of cubic footage...

Since I'm still in an apartment, I'm really looking for more quality over quantity. As I mentioned I find the current sub very boomy/inaccurate/sloppy, not tight and punchy like the bass I get off my Polk LSiM 707s. Often I find I'm turning the sub off now a days and just relying on the fronts in full range mode. However with some action packed movies, and multi-channel audio concert discs with dedicated LFE channels I find I need to use the sub and as such I need a better one.

I'm looking at SVS and its current sales, I think based on my preferences above, I would prefer a sealed sub (even if it has less output) due to the accuracy / tightness. I've got a good friend with a PSA 15" sealed sub that he loves and I've heard, which again points me to the sealed category based on my limited auditioning. Also, being still in an apartment I can't totally rattle the heck out of my neighbors, but I want to invest in something that will last many years for when I move into a house and hopefully build a dedicated theater room finally. I'm about 30% music, 40% TV, 30% movies for my current listening habits. The SVS SB2000 for $649 in piano gloss (vs. $799 regular) seems like a pretty good deal and caught my eye. The engineer in me likes the idea of all the tuning possible on the SB2000 pro and SB3000 though with the app and more advanced DSP, but is it really worth the extra cost? Being a sealed sub and the lower output and sometimes range, I then looking at the SB3000 and its larger driver (almost a 14") with its lower reach, it got some great marks from audioholics, but the cost goes up considerably. My budget right now is <$1200, although honestly I'm the kind of guy that hunts for a good deal and bang for the buck more so than the absolute $ amount. I've never had dual subs, but have always liked the concept and read a lot about the benefits. I could swing 2xSB2000s but couldn't afford 2x SB2000pros or 2x SB3000s right now (they're not on sale either and don't feel like a "good deal" to the bargain hunter in me).

1.) At $650 for the piano black gloss SB2000 (non-pro), are they a great deal and worth stretching the budget to $1300 to grab a dual setup?
2.) Are the SB2000 pros really worth the extra $250 over the SB2000 non-pro (based on current sales)?
3.) If I'm going to stay sealed, should I really go up to a single SB3000 instead with the bigger driver, better output and deeper range?
4.) Should I think about any other brands / models (been looking at monolith sealed and HSUs as well, but I gravitate back to SVS and their great customer service)

Thanks for any help!
Since your AVR has the ability to EQ the subwoofer channel, I would go with the legacy SB-2000s (over the Pros or a single 3000). At current pricing, they are a great value and duals will give you smoother bass at more locations in the room and will also outgun a single 3000 in the 18-36 Hz octave (they are close from 40-80 Hz).
craig john and SaskCanesFan like this.

Ed Mullen
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"
post #9 of 17 Old 02-15-2020, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Ed, thanks for your thoughts. Definitely the dual sb2000 makes more sense than the single sb3000 from a bang for the buck perspective. If I could get the sb3000 around 800 or 850 I think it'd be a no brainer but the hsu uls-15 mk2 at near sb2000 prices makes the decision much harder....

Sb01gt, that hsu somehow missed my radar but it seems like an excellent value. It got a better audioholics rating than the sb2000 or sb3000. In fact I could get dual uls15-mk2s for $1650 shipped. (and that's not even a sale price). They look like they'd clearly outperform even a dual sb3000 setup ($2200). The piano gloss on the sb2000/3000 is a nicer finish than the hsu, but the satin black isn't all bad (better than the black ash at least, and doesn't have the obtrusive metal grill of the svs) Obviously the return shipping cost, customer service, lack of fancy app that I may or may not use, and worse warranty is something to factor in... But it does seem like from a raw performance point of view this is the better way to go...

Kolgatha, what do you think of the psa s1512? I do want to go dual eventually. So while a single s1812 might be OK financially, dual s1812s are totally out of my budget. Specifically the s1512 vs the uls-15 mk2?

Thanks again for everyone's time and productive comments!

post #10 of 17 Old 02-15-2020, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks for any help!
If you can do it financially I would buy either JTR, Seaton or PSA subs. Purchase one now and then save your money to purchase another one later. I have four JTR subs and just installed dual SB3000 for a friend's theater we are building. While the SVS SB3000 sound good they just don't have the impact and get into higher distortion when the really low frequencies are called for in modern soundtracks.

It all depends on how much of an audio nut you are. I started with a single 15" paradigm sub then went to dual JL Audio F112. I then went to dual Seaton Submersive 15" (for sale for less than half of what I paid for them btw). The Seatons are amazing subs but decided I wanted to try 18" so I went all JTR sealed. I now have three dual 18" JTR and one single 18".

Remember that the more subs you have the better the frequency response in the room and the less distortion since each sub has to produce less output. I stand by my choice to go to four subs and in my next theater I will have 8, dual 18" woofers. It is amazing how good soundtracks sound when your system is loafing along to produce the required SPL at all frequencies. Its another level.

So my recommendation is to purchase 4 JTR, Seaton, PSA or Deep Sea sound subs even if you can only afford to buy a single one each year or two.

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #11 of 17 Old 02-15-2020, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post

If you can do it financially I would buy either JTR, Seaton or PSA subs. Purchase one now and then save your money to purchase another one later. I have four JTR subs and just installed dual SB3000 for a friend's theater we are building. While the SVS SB3000 sound good they just don't have the impact and get into higher distortion when the really low frequencies are called for in modern soundtracks.

It all depends on how much of an audio nut you are. I started with a single 15" paradigm sub then went to dual JL Audio F112. I then went to dual Seaton Submersive 15" (for sale for less than half of what I paid for them btw). The Seatons are amazing subs but decided I wanted to try 18" so I went all JTR sealed. I now have three dual 18" JTR and one single 18".

Remember that the more subs you have the better the frequency response in the room and the less distortion since each sub has to produce less output. I stand by my choice to go to four subs and in my next theater I will have 8, dual 18" woofers. It is amazing how good soundtracks sound when your system is loafing along to produce the required SPL at all frequencies. Its another level.

So my recommendation is to purchase 4 JTR, Seaton, PSA or Deep Sea sound subs even if you can only afford to buy a single one each year or two.
Haha you guys are totally nuts!! I admire your gusto and maybe some day when I'm in a house with a real dedicated theater room I could join you with quad 18s, but there's no way in hell I'm coughing up $2600 a piece right now.
SaskCanesFan likes this.

post #12 of 17 Old 02-17-2020, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Well I think today is decision day (last day for the SVS presidents day sales event, and the $150 off the SB2000 in piano gloss I was eyeing originally). After listening to everyones input and more research myself, I found myself down the rabbit hole of HSU ULS-15 MK2 and PSA S1512, even Monoprice M15-S or M12-S was on the radar along with a few Rhythmiks as well.

For a moment I had convinced myself the HSU ULS-15 MK2 was not only the better technical choice, but the better bang for the buck choice as well. However once I factor in the shipping, and the 5yr electronics warranty (Read a lot about Amp failures on HSUs unfortunately), what I thought was a great deal at $779 suddenly shoots up to $927 (not that much different than the SB3000). Not to mention all the other benefits of the great SVS customer service (return shipping, trade-up, 5yr warranty etc). I know some may argue SVS are overpriced compared to the competition, and usually I'm the cheapskate looking for the best bang for the buck willing to roll the dice on warranty/service, but in this case as I'm venturing into something unfamiliar I just feel more comfortable with SVS and their policies...

Other models like the SVS PC-2000 pro or Outlaw X-13 made my list as well, and were intriguing because of the option to plug one or more of the ports. Right now in my apartment, I won't be needing super high output and clarity/musicality/accuracy is more important. But down the road when I move to a house with a dedicated theater room, I like the idea of having the option to unseal for more output. Altho who am I kidding, whenever I move I'll probably just use that as another reason to upgrade again :-) The PC-2000 in particular is interesting to me, a truly unique form factor & design, and a pretty good price at $749 each right now (ugh! scratch that only the pc-2000 pro has sealed option it looks like, and thats considerably more), just not sure I can fit them for placement in my room currently. (would they really be that much better than SB-2000s? I can seal them up too it looks like...)

I really do want to go dual (not for output as I mentioned above but to smooth out room response, and enhance coverage / sweet spots across the seating areas). To that end dual SB3000's are probably what I would pick if I had a $2200 budget. I know they'll dig deeper than the SB2000s, but I'm struggling to pay almost 2x the price for them as the SB2000s...

Alas, I think I'll end up ordering 2x SB2000s in piano gloss today for $1300...unless I change my mind...again :-X

Last edited by djjaeger; 02-17-2020 at 10:47 AM.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-17-2020, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Similar situation and realize I just posted a similar thread. I have the PC-2000 Pros. They're going back because at 38" tall, I could never put them in front of the room under the TV. Currently they're both behind my seats and ROCK. Great subs. I have a very even response in the main seating positions as well. However, I'm going to swap them for box sub designs so hopefully I can put one up front and one in back. I know people claim subwoofer frequencies are hard to localize, but really it's not that hard. Clearly the bass comes from the back of the room. Choosing between dual PB-2000 Pros, PB-3000s or a single PB-4000 and maybe adding another some day down the line. Ah, decisions...
post #14 of 17 Old 02-17-2020, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Similar situation and realize I just posted a similar thread. I have the PC-2000 Pros. They're going back because at 38" tall, I could never put them in front of the room under the TV. Currently they're both behind my seats and ROCK. Great subs. I have a very even response in the main seating positions as well. However, I'm going to swap them for box sub designs so hopefully I can put one up front and one in back. I know people claim subwoofer frequencies are hard to localize, but really it's not that hard. Clearly the bass comes from the back of the room. Choosing between dual PB-2000 Pros, PB-3000s or a single PB-4000 and maybe adding another some day down the line. Ah, decisions...
Thanks for your experience with the PC-2000 pros. Initially I thought I could get what I wanted (sealed / not sealed flexibility) out of the regular PC-2000s but made a mistake, looks like you can only get that on the pros. At that price point then I'm pretty close to the SB-3000 anyway so I think the PC-2000's and pros are out. I share a similar concern about placement, I only have so much room on my front wall (rear/side placements are not that viable in an apartment, running the regular rear speaker wires was already a challenge, let alone a thick quality sub cable).

Did you happen to try your PC-2000 pros in both sealed and non-sealed modes? Curious what your listening experience was despite the aesthetic challenges.

post #15 of 17 Old 02-18-2020, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Did you happen to try your PC-2000 pros in both sealed and non-sealed modes? Curious what your listening experience was despite the aesthetic challenges.
I haven't tried sealed mode because SVS doesn't ship the plugs with the PC-2000 Pros. I think you have to order the plugs separately. I can't really imagine why I'd want sealed mode. The ported mode is pretty impressive and the response seems plenty fast.

Marantz AV7705|Emotiva XPA-7|Rotel-1056 height channels|GoldenEar T1s, supercenter Ref, MPXs, HTR7000s, Invisa 650s and SuperSat 3s
post #16 of 17 Old 02-18-2020, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
I haven't tried sealed mode because SVS doesn't ship the plugs with the PC-2000 Pros. I think you have to order the plugs separately. I can't really imagine why I'd want sealed mode. The ported mode is pretty impressive and the response seems plenty fast.
Sealed mode is kinda blah compared to ported, well at least in my room anyways. I tried sealed and sure there was extension all the way down to 8 hz or so running REW but NONE of the movie sounds tracks I have anything down there so who cares. You want all that oomph at 16-18hz and that's what ported does.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180, Dual SVS PB-4000 subs, ISCO III, RS540 + Stewart Cima Neve 133

Last edited by microwiz; 02-18-2020 at 07:35 AM.
post #17 of 17 Old 02-20-2020, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all, I got my dual SVS SB-2000's this morning! I started by hooking up one, ran some calibration and tests, then moved on to adding in the second. I will say that the clarity / lack of distortion is night and day compared to my old PSW505 (it would distort and chuff at lower frequencies), although it still doesn't go quite as low as I thought it might have. However, I did notice that when running some sweeps there seems to be a much larger "dead spot" in the frequency spectrum on the SB-2000s than my old polk. I'm hoping you all can help me troubleshoot/understand this a little more. Perhaps its my setup or my room and not these beautiful looking subs?

Setup: Onkyo TX-RZ830 with Polk LSiM 707/706/702. Audyssey EQ after auto setup tried to set all my LSiM crossovers to 40hz, but I manually overrode them all to 80hz. LFE channel in the receiver is set to 120hz LPF, and the SB-2000s themselves were physically dialed to phase 0, volume at ~11o'clock (ended up -2.0db on the receiver with single or -7.5db with both), and crossover set to LFE. Then I turned off my external amp (monolith 7x200) so I could hear just the subs on their own. I did some A/B comparisons with my old Polk PSW505 as well as some single vs dual SB-2000 tests. (really wanted to understand what I was getting with my sub upgrade) I also moved the subs around the room a bit, with minor impact to the concern I'm highlighting below, and when I did the old/new sub compare I used exact same positioning. I used some frequency sweeps from youtube test clips, and also confirmed with some Disney Wow and THX Demo bluray/dvds too. They all were very consistent, below is what I observed...

Polk PSW505 20-120hz sweep:
20-25hz not much output at all
25-33hz some reasonable output but chuffing and distortion heard
33-45hz reasonable output, some boominess though
45-52hz output weakened in this zone, min point around 49 or 50hz
53hz and up back to good output volume levels again

SB-2000 20-120hz sweep:
20-28hz some good clean sound (even tho output/volume is low, definitely can feel some rattles and shakes)
28-44hz this thing really shines, clean bass, good output (tight, not boomy)
45-65hz something weird happens, the output volume falls off very quickly with a minimum around 53 or 54hz, almost to the point of being inaudible, then slowly builds up again 60hz-65hz
70hz+ finally the volume / output seems to be restored and normal in this range

Initially I thought I had a null spot in the room, but moving the sub or the listening position didn't seem to change things much. Adding the 2nd SB-2000 in made the range where this occurred a little smaller (maybe by 1 or 2 hz on each side) but I would say not significantly different. I tried each SB-2000 on its own and both had an almost identical profile, even from the 2 different positions in the room. I put the polk back again and checked it again side by side just to be sure, and it also has a weak spot but its much narrower and at a different frequency center point for the minimum (so I don't think its the room...but I'm pretty new to all this...)

Does this sound like a room issue?
Any chance its a setup issue?
Is this a normal observation with good subwoofers like SVS?
Could it be that this is expected from an SB-2000 and I really need to look at something higher end? (Ex: SB-3000, PSA S1512, HSU ULS-15 MK2)

I can definitely hear/feel the improvement in the <40hz range with the SB-2000s. They don't dig quite as "deep" as I had hoped, but I guess I shouldn't expect miracles from a 12" driver. I'm more concerned about the poor output in the frequency range of 45-65hz, especially if I'm going to consider putting my cross-over for my LSiMs at 60 or 80hz.

Last edited by djjaeger; 02-20-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page