PSA V1812 x4 Vs Monolith 15 x4 | Sitting Square Room Dead Center - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 227Likes

post #91 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbuddy View Post
I think it's a little disingenuous to compare a 100+ pound box of wood with just two operative parts to a cellphone or laptop. With Monoprice, you have to save all the packaging materials somewhere, or you're going to be screwed if you need warranty service. Other brands offer the convenience of letting you swap out the bad component without having to store very large cardboard boxes and wrestle the sub around for shipping. I think that's a big minus for Monoprice, and would never even consider them because of that, especially with all the reports of failed (or moldy!) subs from them.
Agreed! And personally, I’d rather replace a part vs. having to ship the whole sub back. Which was really the whole point of what I posted. I just made the error in thinking you had to pay for it.

Hopefully this topic doesn’t get too sidetracked. Error recognized & edited. Let’s move on for the OP’s sake.
darthray, drh3b and rhelliott2 like this.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S/Rythmik T-Shirt (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post

Regarding the “Overkill” aspect; I look at stuff like this as, it’s better to have it and not need it vs. needing it and not having it. And at some point we’re all going to at least need (want) it just a little bit...just a little though.

I think some would consider ample, yet reasonable, headroom as overkill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
darthray, samorf and d-rail34 like this.

Basement bat cave: JVC RS2000 (calibrated), 100" 16:9 Stewart StudioTek 130, Denon AVR-X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Polk RTi A7 towers/CSi A6 center/65RT in-wall side surrounds (2)/70RT in-ceiling Atmos (4), dual PSA V1811 subwoofers
post #93 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd G. View Post
I think some would consider ample, yet reasonable, headroom as overkill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
True. But sometimes you just get that urge to open that puppy up! Can’t do that that if it isn’t there, but I agree. YMMV.
darthray and Todd G. like this.

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S/Rythmik T-Shirt (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 995 Post(s)
Liked: 2600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
What do you base that on?
Yes it looks like the newer PSA models might roll off slightly higher (and maybe a steeper HPF) than the previous models

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...eq-advice.html
darthray and mthomas47 like this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic 65" P65ST60 AVR: Denon AVR-X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Seaton SubMersives x 3
post #95 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2628 Post(s)
Liked: 4399
Quote:
I think it's a little disingenuous to compare a 100+ pound box of wood with just two operative parts to a cellphone or laptop. With Monoprice, you have to save all the packaging materials somewhere, or you're going to be screwed if you need warranty service. Other brands offer the convenience of letting you swap out the bad component without having to store very large cardboard boxes and wrestle the sub around for shipping. I think that's a big minus for Monoprice, and would never even consider them because of that, especially with all the reports of failed (or moldy!) subs from them.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Umm, under warranty, you DON'T PAY to ship a Monoprice sub back. Monoprice will provide a return shipping label.

Monoprice treats the sub as any other consumer electronics. For CE, the common practice for repair under warranty is to send the product in for repair. Why do you think consumers should open up a TV, a AVR, a cellphone or a laptop and replace a part on their own?
Hi,

I agree with the post above yours, since sometime just changing a part on something that is bulky and weight a lot. It is more convenient for the customer, to deal with pick-up schedule and new delivery date as long the customer is handy with swapping new components.

On my last two subs, one had a defective Amp (a first for them on this particular model). And they wanted to arrange a freight UPS pick-up, at the same time the new sub would arrive. At this time, I ask if only a new Amp could be send to me with some instructions. I receive a new Amp with 5 videos instruction's, and was back in business within a short time period. With the bonus, of not taking any time off from work.

Darth
mthomas47 and d-rail34 like this.

Last edited by darthray; 02-22-2020 at 02:18 PM.
post #96 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 905
I paid for return shipping to have the RAAL refit...thou return labelled under warranty to avoid further custom costs.
I drove to Mineral Ridge (PSA)albeit planned on a trip within the PA region to upgrade drivers and DSP module...in both instances the return shipping was outta pocket I was told by both. Ohio was manageable the drive to CA was not. Everything is relevant and must be considered... personally...nobody told me about the pinched fingers changing sub drivers...😊
chucky7 likes this.

Ascend Acoustics: Towers, STC w RAAL & 200 SE in espresso,
65" LG OLED C9, Anthem MRX 300, Oppo 103D,
Sub: Funk Audio 18: (Santos Rosewood)
Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors but we borrow it from our children!
post #97 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by samorf
I think in my dream world, I get FV18 x4 paper cones while having my loaded corners but that's a lot more coin.
Contact @Rythmik owner Brian Ding via his website or call and see what he can do for you on buying 4 FV18 paper cones together; if he understands what other options you are considering he might be able to sharpen his pencil some more. Four FV18's corner loaded would be end game - massive output, extension to 12Hz and below plus the option for all ports open with even more midbass slam, great port design, incredibly flexible amp controls, handsome finish, and the cleanest sounding subwoofers many of us have ever heard, backed by top notch customer service from people who are intelligent and respectful. Two of these beasts in my 5500 cf basement are crazy good

Ross
darthray and samorf like this.

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83
post #98 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossandwendy View Post
Contact @Rythmik owner Brian Ding via his website or call and see what he can do for you on buying 4 FV18 paper cones together; if he understands what other options you are considering he might be able to sharpen his pencil some more. Four FV18's corner loaded would be end game - massive output, extension to 12Hz and below plus the option for all ports open with even more midbass slam, great port design, incredibly flexible amp controls, handsome finish, and the cleanest sounding subwoofers many of us have ever heard, backed by top notch customer service from people who are intelligent and respectful. Two of these beasts in my 5500 cf basement are crazy good

Ross
I am going to come back and respond to a couple more posts but I just wanted to say I did it. I got the last 4 FV18's on the Rythmik's latest shipment. The deed is done. It was definitely overbudget but when you factor in the tax with Monoprice ($500+), vs taxless Rythmik, it was hard not to pass up the FV18's for a little bit more.

I share your thoughts that with the flexibility of the amp, I can probably tune these things for not only maximum accuracy but a load of power. It was really thanks to this thread I was able to get my original dream subs. So, big thanks to everyone here.

On the note of power and tuning and all that... I am a little torn on aluminum vs paper cone. I am going to post this over in the owner's thread but maybe some people here can share insight. I know with the paper cone, I will get more of that mid-bass impact because the paper cone is easier to drive and results in a +3db output in that range due to lower compression. However, my confusion lies in the fact I will have 4 of these things and what I am guessing is loads of headroom. Is the idea of more power and less compression in the mid-bass paper cone based off of a single sub and pushing it hard? Would I be better off getting the aluminum cone and (having more accuracy) since I should probably have a lot of power to spare? Looking over the Rythmik guides, I can see myself doing 12hz mode with high damping for maximum accuracy and then a house curve for more oomph. I am certainly new to the process so it should be fun to figure out. Not sure how to tackle this problem and which driver to choose though.

I love the look and idea of an aluminum cone but if paper is all-around better for home theatre, I will do that.

Last edited by samorf; 02-22-2020 at 04:18 PM.
post #99 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by samorf View Post
On the note of power and tuning and all that... I am a little torn on aluminum vs paper cone. I am going to post this over in the owner's thread but maybe some people here can share insight. I know with the paper cone, I will get more of that mid-bass impact because the paper cone is easier to drive and results in a +3db output in that range. However, my confusion lies in the fact I will have 4 of these things and what I am guessing is loads of headroom. Is the idea of more power and less compression in the mid-bass paper cone based off of a single sub and pushing it hard? Would I be better off getting the aluminum cone and (having more accurary) since I should probably have a lot of power to spare? Not sure how to tackle this problem and which driver to choose.

I love the look and idea of an aluminum cone but if paper all-around better for home theatre, I will do that.
Head over to the Rythmik owner thread and send an @enricoclaudio , or just call Rythmik and ask them - they should get back to you quickly. And I/we will be very interested to hear about how it all turns out - don't forget to come back and let us know.

My personal wish list includes a single FV18 PC; I can't imagine 4!!

Chane A2.4 center, Chane A5.4s L/R, Chane A1.5s surround, Kenwood KS-505HTs rear
Sub: Klipsch R-120SW [wish list = Rythmik FV18 Rev2 (paper cone)]; Rythmik FAQ
Onkyo TX-RZ620, Samsung 4k 43NU7100, PS3
Protection: Tripp Lite Isobar 8 and 4 Ultra; Aircom T10; VCE SP250-2P-CA
post #100 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am going to come back and respond to a couple more posts but I just wanted to say I did it. I got the last 4 FV18's on the Rythmik's latest shipment. The deed is done. It was definitely overbudget but when you factor in the tax with Monoprice ($500+), vs taxless Rythmik, it was hard not to pass up the FV18's for a little bit more.

I share your thoughts that with the flexibility of the amp, I can probably tune these things for not only maximum accuracy but a load of power. It was really thanks to this thread I was able to get my original dream subs. So, big thanks to everyone here.

On the note of power and tuning and all that... I am a little torn on aluminum vs paper cone. I am going to post this over in the owner's thread but maybe some people here can share insight. I know with the paper cone, I will get more of that mid-bass impact because the paper cone is easier to drive and results in a +3db output in that range due to lower compression. However, my confusion lies in the fact I will have 4 of these things and what I am guessing is loads of headroom. Is the idea of more power and less compression in the mid-bass paper cone based off of a single sub and pushing it hard? Would I be better off getting the aluminum cone and (having more accuracy) since I should probably have a lot of power to spare? Looking over the Rythmik guides, I can see myself doing 12hz mode with high damping for maximum accuracy and then a house curve for more oomph. I am certainly new to the process so it should be fun to figure out. Not sure how to tackle this problem and which driver to choose though.

I love the look and idea of an aluminum cone but if paper is all-around better for home theatre, I will do that.
First congratulation on 4 FV18, and the price difference will be shortly forgotten

In my first response to you, my choice was the PSA. Since I was reserve about the Monoprice Customer Service, and many did disagree with me and fine with that. And never mention that I just two FV18 with Aluminum Cone, to stay unbias.

I see Mike already responded to your post, but will explain to you my reasons of going Aluminum over Paper cone. Just for info, and can be confirm by looking into the Rythmik thread. Not it really matter, since you have already place your order.

First, my preference is midbass with little TR since I rely on some TT. To keep my overall volume not overly loud, to reduce walls/ceiling vibrations problem. Also I like having all my speakers/subs without a grill on. And the newest member of the family, a cat around 1-2 years old that will chew anything made of foam (surround on the Paper Cone). But will not touch anything made of rubber (surround on the Aluminum one), was another reason. And last since my room is only 12 x 18 x 8, and only listening at around -12/-13dB and having dual FV18. I went for the slightly better sound that the Aluminum Cone, over the extra output.

Either of those two, are excellent choices
And all the extra settings option, can do wonder. Previously, I could not set my subs below 20Hz due the previously mention vibrations problem. And now able to use 14Hz setting, with a minimum boost from my AVP.

Darth

Last edited by darthray; 02-22-2020 at 05:03 PM.
post #101 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 04:23 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 420 Post(s)
Quoted: 5984 Post(s)
Liked: 12253
Quote:
I am going to come back and respond to a couple more posts but I just wanted to say I did it. The deed is done. I got the last 4 FV18's on the Rythmik's latest shipment. It was definitely overbudget but when you factor in the tax of Monoprice ($500+) it was hard not to pass up the FV18's for a little bit more.

I have the same thoughts, with the flexibility of the amp, I can probably tune these things in for not only maximum accuracy but a load of power. It was really thanks to this thread I was able to get my original dream subs.

On the note of power and tuning and all that... I am a little torn on aluminum vs paper cone. I am going to post this over in the owner's thread but maybe some people here can share insight. I know with the paper cone, I will get more of that mid-bass impact because the paper cone is easier to drive and results in a +3db output in that range. However, my confusion lies in the fact I will have 4 of these things and what I am guessing is loads of headroom. Is the idea of more power and less compression in the mid-bass paper cone based off of a single sub and pushing it hard? Would I be better off getting the aluminum cone and (having more accurary) since I should probably have a lot of power to spare? Not sure how to tackle this problem and which driver to choose.

I love the look and idea of an aluminum cone but if paper all-around better for home theatre, I will do that.

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm glad you pulled the trigger.

I would recommend the paper cones to you. I honestly don't think you will need or notice the potential to play mid-bass frequencies a little louder, but user reports are pretty consistent in saying that the paper cones have a little bit more ULF TR than the aluminum cone version, and I keep remembering that you are on a concrete floor. I would get the paper cone version specifically for that reason.

The difference in sound signature should be very modest, between the two cone versions. And, coming from virtually any other subs, the FV18's, with the paper cones, will already sound extremely clear and articulate to you. So, that is my opinion, for what it's worth.

Regards,
Mike
darthray, toddct, samorf and 2 others like this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #102 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Quote:
Contact @Rythmik owner Brian Ding via his website or call and see what he can do for you on buying 4 FV18 paper cones together; if he understands what other options you are considering he might be able to sharpen his pencil some more. Four FV18's corner loaded would be end game - massive output, extension to 12Hz and below plus the option for all ports open with even more midbass slam, great port design, incredibly flexible amp controls, handsome finish, and the cleanest sounding subwoofers many of us have ever heard, backed by top notch customer service from people who are intelligent and respectful. Two of these beasts in my 5500 cf basement are crazy good [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

Ross

Monoprice were taxing you in your State and Rythmik didn't? Odd. Congrats on the new subs!
post #103 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 6110 Post(s)
Liked: 5670
Quote:
Would I be better off getting the aluminum cone and (having more accuracy) since I should probably have a lot of power to spare? Looking over the Rythmik guides, I can see myself doing 12hz mode with high damping for maximum accuracy and then a house curve for more oomph.
Quote:
The room is sealed and sound isolated. I am on a concrete floor. My usage is 100% home theatre. Actually, 80/20 games/movies. Reference volume.
Quote:
While I do believe the paper cone to be a better all around around choice for your application, I would choose the aluminum.

1) With the amount of headroom you will have, I don't think either driver will make much difference. While some may perceive more ULF TR with the paper cone I believe this is more perception (due to 32 - 65 Hz and not ≤25Hz) than reality.

2) The aluminum is beautiful and practically bulletproof. While it is not to everyone's taste, the silver cones are my absolute favorite!

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/reviews_ci.html
darthray, Billy p, samorf and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 02-22-2020 at 08:31 PM.
post #104 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:

CONGRATS man!! Very excited for you! Quad FV18 is going to be phenomenal. Accurate, low distortion, and loads of headroom. Many of us have said that this is likely the best value out there right now in its price range. Tonight I was running only 1 of my duals in the 5500cf room while watching Ad Astra and it was thunderous when called upon.

As far as cone material, I think either one is excellent (Brian made sure of that) and my bet is that most of us would have a real hard time picking which was playing in a blind comparison. My first Rythmik seven years ago was an F12 that comes with aluminum driver and to me it had a very hard-hitting percussive sound that I really liked, very lean and clean. I think the paper cone is just a bit warmer and a bit fuller sounding. But again, put me in a blind test and I doubt I could reliably pick during a film. I chose the paper cone because in my large room I knew I needed that additional +3db of dyanamic headroom in the midbass. If I had quads and less square footage I'd go aluminum cone just because of my fond memories of the F12, but really a tough call because my L22's that I need to sell are paper cone and they are just fantastic for an affordable sealed sub.

Please let us know how it goes when you get them.

Ross
darthray, toddct, samorf and 1 others like this.

SOURCE: multi-region Oppo BDP-103D & BDP-83
post #105 of 112 Old 02-22-2020, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2430 Post(s)
Liked: 5358
Quote:

Well, that's subwoofers sorted for 10-20 years. As far as paper vs aluminum goes, I doubt most of us could tell the difference in sound quality between the two with music, much less theater. Normally, I would say get paper for theater, but I think you will have so much headroom, that if you like the look of the aluminum better, go for it, I don't think you'll miss the extra headroom.

Don't over think it, whichever one you get will provide you with plenty.
darthray, rossandwendy and samorf like this.

My Stuff.
Spoiler!
post #106 of 112 Old 02-23-2020, 05:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Quoted: 3893 Post(s)
Liked: 5494
Quote:
Monoprice treats the sub as any other consumer electronics. For CE, the common practice for repair under warranty is to send the product in for repair. Why do you think consumers should open up a TV, a AVR, a cellphone or a laptop and replace a part on their own?
Quote:
You have conveniently left out TV from my post...

Monoprice offers 5 year replacement warranty on its Monolith subs. The easiest way to offer replacement warranty is to replace the faulty unit with another working unit, if not a brand new one.

Since you would never even consider them, how do you know that you are screwed if you need warranty service on a Monolith sub? It is possible that Monoprice will provide the return packaging material.

For every person that is comfortable swapping out amps or woofers, there are many others out there that can't or don't want to deal with this. I can do it if need be but I don't think the people I know outside of AVS can.

While you might find it convenient, letting customers swap out bad components is actually more economical than sending out a new unit especially for the other brands you speak of. Therefore, Monoprice is not trying to save $$$ here.
Billy p likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.
JTR Speakers Customer Appreciation Sale
FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
post #107 of 112 Old 02-23-2020, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Congrats on the quad FV18’s. That’s gonna be pretty insane!
darthray, samorf and drh3b like this.
post #108 of 112 Old 02-23-2020, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
I got the last 4 FV18's on the Rythmik's latest shipment. The deed is done.

On the note of power and tuning and all that... I am a little torn on aluminum vs paper cone.
Congrats. That's going to be sick. I have one FV18 and was just tweaking it last night again and it's just amazing. You will not be disappointed. It's going to be an exiting day when they arrive.

I got the paper cone, but I'm sure either will be terrific for you.
darthray, rossandwendy and samorf like this.

Klipsch RP-8000F L/R | Klipsch RP-504C C | elemental Designs A6-6T6 MTM surrounds | Rythmik FV18 Rev2 Paper Cone Black Matte + Elemental Designs A5-350 Restored! | Denon AVR-S920W | Vizio P75-C1
post #109 of 112 Old 02-23-2020, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1380
Quote:
You have conveniently left out TV from my post...
TVs (at least the ones I own) have in-home warranty service. It's also much easier to store a large flat box than it is something bigger than a mini-fridge. Not sure why you'd want to excuse such poor customer service when companies like Rythmik, JTR, PSA, SVS, and Hsu exist.

That's all I have to say on the subject, glad OP dodged a bullet by going with a reputable sub maker.
post #110 of 112 Old 02-24-2020, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
I see Mike already responded to your post, but will explain to you my reasons of going Aluminum over Paper cone. Just for info, and can be confirm by looking into the Rythmik thread. Not it really matter, since you have already place your order.

First, my preference is midbass with little TR since I rely on some TT. To keep my overall volume not overly loud, to reduce walls/ceiling vibrations problem. Also I like having all my speakers/subs without a grill on. And the newest member of the family, a cat around 1-2 years old that will chew anything made of foam (surround on the Paper Cone). But will not touch anything made of rubber (surround on the Aluminum one), was another reason. And last since my room is only 12 x 18 x 8, and only listening at around -12/-13dB and having dual FV18. I went for the slightly better sound that the Aluminum Cone, over the extra output.
The whole inspiration behind building this dedicated room was because of rattles. Other than an IMAX theatre, I have still to this day never experienced bass without room rattles. I really hope that is about to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spewdom View Post
Monoprice were taxing you in your State and Rythmik didn't? Odd. Congrats on the new subs!
Rythmik only charges tax in their home state of Texas I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
While I do believe the paper cone to be a better all around choice for your application, I would choose the aluminum.

1) With the amount of headroom you will have, I don't think either driver will make much difference. While some may perceive more ULF TR with the paper cone I believe this is more perception (due to 32 - 65 Hz and not ≤25Hz) than reality.

2) The aluminum is beautiful and practically bulletproof. While it is not to everyone's taste, the silver cones are my absolute favorite!

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/reviews_ci.html
Thanks for the links Marc. I agree 100%. The first thing I loved about Rythmik was the look of the aluminum drivers. The silver especially. I talked to @Rythmik and they said in my situation go with the driver you think looks better. I am likely changing my order from paper to aluminum.

Quote:
CONGRATS man!! Very excited for you! Quad FV18 is going to be phenomenal. Accurate, low distortion, and loads of headroom. Many of us have said that this is likely the best value out there right now in its price range. Tonight I was running only 1 of my duals in the 5500cf room while watching Ad Astra and it was thunderous when called upon.

As far as cone material, I think either one is excellent (Brian made sure of that) and my bet is that most of us would have a real hard time picking which was playing in a blind comparison. My first Rythmik seven years ago was an F12 that comes with aluminum driver and to me it had a very hard-hitting percussive sound that I really liked, very lean and clean. I think the paper cone is just a bit warmer and a bit fuller sounding. But again, put me in a blind test and I doubt I could reliably pick during a film. I chose the paper cone because in my large room I knew I needed that additional +3db of dyanamic headroom in the midbass. If I had quads and less square footage I'd go aluminum cone just because of my fond memories of the F12, but really a tough call because my L22's that I need to sell are paper cone and they are just fantastic for an affordable sealed sub.

Please let us know how it goes when you get them.
I read your post a few days ago and the thing you said about percussive sound has really, erhm, resonated. I love tight, fast bass. I play a lot of games and feeling the gun or engine of a car with grit and texture is the thing I think I am searching for. So, when you said, percussive, I thought to myself, yeah, that's what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwiniii View Post
Congrats. That's going to be sick. I have one FV18 and was just tweaking it last night again and it's just amazing. You will not be disappointed. It's going to be an exiting day when they arrive.

I got the paper cone, but I'm sure either will be terrific for you.
Thanks man! I will for sure come back and post some pics of the room. I can already see a pic of me planking across 4 FV18's in a row.
post #111 of 112 Old 02-24-2020, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Congrats on the purchase!

The FV18's are one of the subs I've been eyeing for sometime now and have just been waiting for the stars to align (have the $$$!) to be able to make that long awaited upgrade. Fortunately for me, there has been some good news that's come my way recently, and it looks like that day might be coming sooner than I had expected, so I'm hoping that by the time my 50th (June) rolls around I should be able snag me up a pair. Although, if the new FV28's are available, and they're all of what I think they're going to be, I might just be helping myself to those instead.

Again, congratulations! Looking forward to your impressions.
darthray, toddct, samorf and 1 others like this.

post #112 of 112 Old 02-24-2020, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks man! I will for sure come back and post some pics of the room. I can already see a pic of me planking across 4 FV18's in a row.
We all counting on it

Also, make sure to post them here;
Please Join and post what speakers you have

Darth
samorf and drh3b like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page