Monolith M10-S for music? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-21-2020, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Monolith M10-S for music?

All, moving into a smaller place. My main focus is music, and want to keep footprint to a minimum. I've seen GREAT feedback on the ported 10" Monolith, but don't know that I've seen much, if anything, on the sealed version. Is the Monolith considered a good option for music? I listen to rock/metal with fast double bass drums, so need the subs to be quick and accurate. I don't like the bass drums to blend together into a boomy mess. Also considered dual RSL Speedwoofers, but have seen several threads of people recommending the Monolith over the RSL - though I think that was more for overall output for home theater.

Martin Logan Motion 40 mains
HSU ULS-15 MK2 and SVS PC-2000
NAD T757 with AM200 audio card
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-21-2020, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2019 Post(s)
Liked: 1646
Rythmik L12.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #3 of 6 Old 02-21-2020, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 6110 Post(s)
Liked: 5668
Are you purchasing duals of whatever you end up deciding on? Do you have a budget limit?

I own the ported Monolith 10 (placed in our master bedroom).

Don't assume that the ported version is a boomy bloated mess compared to the sealed. It is not (it's a myth based on poorly designed ported subs of the past). In fact, there probably isn't any detectable difference in that regard as the Monolith 10-S is a derivative of the original ported 10 design.

I would reconsider the dual RSL Speedwoofers, the Monoliths, and also the Rythmik L12. No subwoofer I have listened to performs better with the most complex bass lines than the Rythmiks (without spending 2-3x the price).

http://rythmikaudio.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-21-2020, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 6110 Post(s)
Liked: 5668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Rythmik L12.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-21-2020, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Are you purchasing duals of whatever you end up deciding on? Do you have a budget limit?

I own the ported Monolith 10 (placed in our master bedroom).

Don't assume that the ported version is a boomy bloated mess compared to the sealed. It is not (it's a myth based on poorly designed ported subs of the past). In fact, there probably isn't any detectable difference in that regard as the Monolith 10-S is a derivative of the original ported 10 design.

I would reconsider the dual RSL Speedwoofers, the Monoliths, and also the Rythmik L12. No subwoofer I have listened to performs better with the most complex bass lines than the Rythmiks (without spending 2-3x the price).

http://rythmikaudio.com/
Yea I’m looking to run duals. I may even sell the Martin Logans and go with book shelves again; maybe LS50’s

Martin Logan Motion 40 mains
HSU ULS-15 MK2 and SVS PC-2000
NAD T757 with AM200 audio card
post #6 of 6 Old 02-24-2020, 06:06 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post
All, moving into a smaller place. My main focus is music, and want to keep footprint to a minimum. I've seen GREAT feedback on the ported 10" Monolith, but don't know that I've seen much, if anything, on the sealed version. Is the Monolith considered a good option for music? I listen to rock/metal with fast double bass drums, so need the subs to be quick and accurate. I don't like the bass drums to blend together into a boomy mess. Also considered dual RSL Speedwoofers, but have seen several threads of people recommending the Monolith over the RSL - though I think that was more for overall output for home theater.
The SpeedWoofer 10S doesn't have any real weakness so that's a good option to consider. Anything Rythmik is a worthy contender. I don't know how the Monolith M10-S sounds but I do have experience with the M15-S. If the 10" variant is just a smaller version of the 15" that one is pretty solid too.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page