PB 2000 non pro or HSU VTF 15H MK2 upgrade from klipsch synergy sub 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-20-2020, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 8
PB 2000 non pro or HSU VTF 15H MK2 upgrade from klipsch synergy sub 12

Hello,

I am no ready to upgrade from the klipsch synergy sub 12

the non-pro svs pb 2000 is aboout $300 cheaper than the HSU but it is only 12 inches ... I already have a 12 inch subwoofer with the klipsch
this is the reason i am hesitant to go with this one because I am looking for a sub woofer that will be able to pressurize the room a bit more and not sound flabby when doing so.

The room is 10 x 10 x 10 system used mostly for gaming and movies. I have also considered getting the ultimax 18 flatpack combo from parts express and a behringher nx3000d. But I am not so sure that this will be better than the HSU because of the box. I haven't been able to find much about this box driver combo.

Any tips, advice,experience with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-20-2020, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
[ I am not so sure that this will be better than the HSU because of the box. I haven't been able to find much about this box driver combo.

Any tips, advice,experience with these?[/QUOTE]

What about the box makes you think that?
If just because it's sealed, don't worry.

Generally a sealed enclosure is considered a better choice for a room less than 2000sq f or so.
If your room is enclosed, you will get some serious room gain and probably have a wicked response with the Ultimax down to below 20hz.

having a ported Sub in that room will probably be a disadvantage because it will have a bloated response around the port tune that you'll have to cut out anyway to make it sound correct. Then the frequency response will drop off quickly below the port tune, robbing you of that deep ULF bass.

No replacement for displacement.
I'm building a sealed UM18 right now.
No way in hell it won't kick the pants out of those other two subs.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 03-20-2020, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixtheinternet View Post
[ I am not so sure that this will be better than the HSU because of the box. I haven't been able to find much about this box driver combo.

Any tips, advice,experience with these?
What about the box makes you think that?
If just because it's sealed, don't worry.

Generally a sealed enclosure is considered a better choice for a room less than 2000sq f or so.
If your room is enclosed, you will get some serious room gain and probably have a wicked response with the Ultimax down to below 20hz.

having a ported Sub in that room will probably be a disadvantage because it will have a bloated response around the port tune that you'll have to cut out anyway to make it sound correct. Then the frequency response will drop off quickly below the port tune, robbing you of that deep ULF bass.

No replacement for displacement.
I'm building a sealed UM18 right now.
No way in hell it won't kick the pants out of those other two subs.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Yeah there the fact that its sealed and also some seem to suggest that the box isn't big enough. Was also wondering if the box had the cutouts for the connection to the outside amplifier. If i were to build the 18" i would want to do it for the sound and also I would expect to save money. After some research it seems there's still a bit if stuff I would need like glue, speakonn connectors, some filling, and other stuff dont know how much that would add to the cost so theres that.

Dont know why im worried about sealed boxes, think ive been reading that they have less of that heavy hit, I would like the sub woofer to really hit you in the chest during right scenes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-20-2020, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I haven't heard about the 4cu ft box being too small for the ultimax. I suspect that's coming from people who used other drivers with that box. The um18 does uncommonly well in a small box like that.

Chest thump takes a lot of displacement.
UM18 will give you the most of that for sure.

The smaller your room is the more sense it makes to go sealed. I have a room almost double your size and I'm definitely going sealed, I think it would serve you well as long as you're willing to put the work into it.

Tools and clamps would be the biggest part, if you don't have those. That was a big factor for me but I needed to get some tools anyway.

Aside from that, plan on about 200 for extras.
I chose to get duratex to cover the box to make it easy on myself, but it's not cheap, $40 a quart.

Last edited by ifixtheinternet; 03-20-2020 at 03:23 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-20-2020, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixtheinternet View Post
I haven't heard about the 4cu ft box being too small for the ultimax. I suspect that's coming from people who used other drivers with that box. The um18 does uncommonly well in a small box like that.

Chest thump takes a lot of displacement.
UM18 will give you the most of that for sure.

The smaller your room is the more sense it makes to go sealed. I have a room almost double your size and I'm definitely going sealed, I think it would serve you well as long as you're willing to put the work into it.

Could you point me towards a thread with a build guide /shopping list? I have found it before but I cant seem to bring it up now. Im thinking ill buy everything except the amp right now, build it, then order the amp.
I would appreciate that.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 01:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 400
The HSU VTF-15h mk2 would destroy the SVS PB2000, easily.

Lumenlab "Community driven video lab".
post #7 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
The VTF-2 MK5, VTF-3 MK5 HP and VTF-15H MK2 all beat the SVS PB-2000 performance wise.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-21-2020, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2850 Post(s)
Liked: 2740
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogaboga View Post
The VTF-2 MK5, VTF-3 MK5 HP and VTF-15H MK2 all beat the SVS PB-2000 performance wise.
The VTF 2.5 does not. It's close in performance for the most part and less expensive to some consider it to be a better value.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #9 of 10 Old 03-22-2020, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 953 Post(s)
Liked: 2480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
The VTF 2.5 does not. It's close in performance for the most part and less expensive to some consider it to be a better value.
Yeah certainly not under 30Hz, maybe a bit above that though

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic 65" P65ST60 AVR: Denon AVR-X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Seaton SubMersives x 3
post #10 of 10 Old 03-22-2020, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just under 30Hz. everything above that the HSU VTF-2 Has more output and the margins are bigger than they are under 30Hz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page